Double Chocolate and Peanut Butter Muffins (with DIY pb chips)

School has both upsides and down sides. You get a cold within the first week of going back, just in time for the weekend, ruining your plans. But that means, you now have time to make you some good old comfort food!

Comfort food has to be one of the best things ever when you’re ill.

For me, double chocolate muffins are it, you always know they’ll taste good no matter what and you can always seem to find somewhere that sells them. The trouble is though, those muffins they sell are huge. It’s not like I can’t finish that muffin, no way, I can and will eat that muffin in 5 minutes. But I don’t think that muffin is worth more than a meal’s GDA. So what else can I do but make the muffins myself?

175 calories each? you could eat more than 3 of these instead of one of those ones from Starbucks! You don’t even need an excuse, just make the muffins.

Mini Muffin :)

2 tbsp + 1 tsp butter, shortening or margarine
6 prunes, pureed with some hot water
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup (160 ml) low fat yogurt or milk
60g chocolate chunks and/or peanutbutter chips*

In a blender, combine first 7 ingredients, until the fat is fully blended into the dry ingredients. (This mix can be stored in the freezer until you want to make muffins).
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C, line a muffin pan. Add the pureed prunes, eggs, vanilla and yogurt/milk and blend until fully combined.
Divide batter equally into the lined muffin pan. Sprinkle chocolate chunks/peanut butter chips on top of each muffin. Poke some of them into the muffin and leave some on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes when the muffins will be fully risen and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

*I made my own peanut butter chips by mixing 1 tbsp of peanut butter with 2 tsp of powdered sugar and a little milk. I then piped this mixture onto some kitchen foil and froze them until firm.

Comments

Really? 175 calories? That’s amazing. I saw this picture and thought, oh my gosh those looks so good, and then I saw the calorie part and I knew I had to look at the recipe. I’ll bookmark this for sure! Do the prunes make it taste different? That was surprising for me to see in the ingredients.

@ procrastobaker : thanks :) haha they sure do ;)
    @ petite darlings : I hope you do! thanks, I had to improvise or end up using christmas themed ones :/
    @brighteyedbaker: haha thank you! Nah, the cocoa masks the prune-y flavour, I use them like other people use applesauce, to replace the oil but keep moistness!

3. Anonymous says

When do you put the prunes in? Your description leaves them out. “The first 7 ingredients” don’t include them. Are they in the first mixture or the second?

oops! sorry about that, you add them with the eggs, vanilla and yogurt/milk. I’ll go correct it now, thanks for letting me know!

Oh boyy. These are beautiful. The mini muffin is pretty much the cutest thing ever and I *love* your method for making peanut butter chips. Does it work well?

aww, thanks! :) It worked, but there are two snags: first of all, they defrost really fast, so you have to take them out of the freezer right at the end and dump them into the batter; secondly, I’ve found that you can’t leave them on top of the muffin batter because they get a grainy texture after being baked, so you just have to make sure to mix them into the batter.

Do you think I could use dates instead of prunes?
    My dad’s birthday is tomorrow so I’m trying to find some recipes that I could make without having to run to the store.

I think you could try it, but you may have to puree them with a bit more water. You could also try apple puree or, if you dont mind a banana flavour, you could even use mashed banana instead!

6. Lisle Kin says

Well, I made these beauties this morning. BUT… the count is WAY off… the recipe as written made 24 LARGE muffins, not 14. And why 14? Any muffin pan I’ve ever seen is either 12 or 6. They are cooling now, can’t wait to taste, they look delicious!

Hahaha really!? It made 24!? Wow, I normally fill a 12-cup muffin tin and have enough batter to make 2 more, which I bake once the first batch have finished baking (hence the 14 muffin recipe) ;)

7. Steph says

How much Applesauce can you use instead of the prunes? I dont have any but i was wondering if you could use applesauce instead. btw, These look delicious!

8. Bianca says

I really want to make this recipe, but unfortunately I don’t have any prunes. :( Would it be possible to use dates, raisins, or applesauce instead?
    Side note: I just made your chocolate fugue sauce with dates. MINDBLOWING. Thank you soooo much!