Double Chocolate and Peanut Butter Muffins (with DIY pb chips)

September 10, 2011 · 24 comments in Muffins

School has both upsides and down sides. You get a cold within the first week of going back, just in time for the weekend, ruining your plans. But that means, you now have time to make you some good old comfort food!

Comfort food has to be one of the best things ever when you’re ill.

For me, double chocolate muffins are it, you always know they’ll taste good no matter what and you can always seem to find somewhere that sells them. The trouble is though, those muffins they sell are huge. It’s not like I can’t finish that muffin, no way, I can and will eat that muffin in 5 minutes. But I don’t think that muffin is worth more than a meal’s GDA. So what else can I do but make the muffins myself?

175 calories each? you could eat more than 3 of these instead of one of those ones from Starbucks! You don’t even need an excuse, just make the muffins.

Mini Muffin :)

2 tbsp + 1 tsp butter, shortening or margarine
6 prunes, pureed with some hot water
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup (160 ml) low fat yogurt or milk
60g chocolate chunks and/or peanutbutter chips*

In a blender, combine first 7 ingredients, until the fat is fully blended into the dry ingredients. (This mix can be stored in the freezer until you want to make muffins).
Preheat oven to 180 degrees C, line a muffin pan. Add the pureed prunes, eggs, vanilla and yogurt/milk and blend until fully combined.
Divide batter equally into the lined muffin pan. Sprinkle chocolate chunks/peanut butter chips on top of each muffin. Poke some of them into the muffin and leave some on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes when the muffins will be fully risen and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

*I made my own peanut butter chips by mixing 1 tbsp of peanut butter with 2 tsp of powdered sugar and a little milk. I then piped this mixture onto some kitchen foil and froze them until firm.

The Procrastobaker September 11, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Beautiful little muffins that sound like they taste absolutely divine :)

Petite Darlings September 11, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I will have to try these:) . I love your idea of using paper instead of commercial cupcake liners.

confessionsofabrighteyedbaker September 11, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Really? 175 calories? That’s amazing. I saw this picture and thought, oh my gosh those looks so good, and then I saw the calorie part and I knew I had to look at the recipe. I’ll bookmark this for sure! Do the prunes make it taste different? That was surprising for me to see in the ingredients.

izy September 12, 2011 at 7:37 pm

@ procrastobaker : thanks :) haha they sure do ;)
@ petite darlings : I hope you do! thanks, I had to improvise or end up using christmas themed ones :/
@brighteyedbaker: haha thank you! Nah, the cocoa masks the prune-y flavour, I use them like other people use applesauce, to replace the oil but keep moistness!

Reeni September 13, 2011 at 1:10 am

These look so decadent – I can’t believe they’re so low in calories! Hope you’re feeling better!

Whiskful Thinkin' September 13, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Yum! I love muffins, but hate the calories that come with them! These look absolutely divine! :)

izy September 29, 2011 at 5:33 pm

@Reeni : they are really addictive :/ thank you, I am now!
@Whiskful Thinkin’ : same here, thanks :D

Anonymous January 21, 2012 at 4:49 pm

When do you put the prunes in? Your description leaves them out. “The first 7 ingredients” don’t include them. Are they in the first mixture or the second?

izy January 21, 2012 at 5:00 pm

oops! sorry about that, you add them with the eggs, vanilla and yogurt/milk. I’ll go correct it now, thanks for letting me know!

bułeczka February 10, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Hello:)
I baked this muffins, they are delicious:) I baked with chocolate without peanut butter and I didn’t have prunes so I used half apple
great recipe:)

Alison February 11, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Oh boyy. These are beautiful. The mini muffin is pretty much the cutest thing ever and I *love* your method for making peanut butter chips. Does it work well?

izy February 23, 2012 at 11:52 pm

aww, thanks! :) It worked, but there are two snags: first of all, they defrost really fast, so you have to take them out of the freezer right at the end and dump them into the batter; secondly, I’ve found that you can’t leave them on top of the muffin batter because they get a grainy texture after being baked, so you just have to make sure to mix them into the batter.

Rayna Lynn March 21, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Do you think I could use dates instead of prunes?
My dad’s birthday is tomorrow so I’m trying to find some recipes that I could make without having to run to the store.

izy March 21, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I think you could try it, but you may have to puree them with a bit more water. You could also try apple puree or, if you dont mind a banana flavour, you could even use mashed banana instead!

Jessica @ Chockohlawtay September 24, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I just made those DIY Peanut Butter Chips and baked them into brownies… AMAZING. PURELY DELICIOUS. You are genius :)

Izy September 25, 2012 at 10:31 pm

hahaha, thanks! mmm yes, great minds think alike; I’ve also put them into brownies before, it was delish :)

Lisle Kin March 3, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Well, I made these beauties this morning. BUT… the count is WAY off… the recipe as written made 24 LARGE muffins, not 14. And why 14? Any muffin pan I’ve ever seen is either 12 or 6. They are cooling now, can’t wait to taste, they look delicious!

Izy March 4, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Hahaha really!? It made 24!? Wow, I normally fill a 12-cup muffin tin and have enough batter to make 2 more, which I bake once the first batch have finished baking (hence the 14 muffin recipe) ;)

juan carlos vargas July 12, 2013 at 2:38 am

ya las hice y estan mega deliciosas :)

Steph July 12, 2013 at 6:52 am

How much Applesauce can you use instead of the prunes? I dont have any but i was wondering if you could use applesauce instead. btw, These look delicious!

Bianca December 6, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I really want to make this recipe, but unfortunately I don’t have any prunes. :( Would it be possible to use dates, raisins, or applesauce instead?
Side note: I just made your chocolate fugue sauce with dates. MINDBLOWING. Thank you soooo much!

harry May 9, 2014 at 12:47 am

hello :)
what if i will not put baking soda.

Izy May 9, 2014 at 3:34 pm

try replacing the baking soda with an extra teaspoon of baking powder

Hayden May 23, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I made these and they were AMAZING!!! Thanks for the great recipe, you have so many I can’t wait to try! :)