Mmmmm, Chocolaty chunky cookie goodness. That’s what we want.
Chocolate cake crumbs?
Caramelised cornflake crumbs?
Check, check, check! Christina Tosi is a total sugar wizard!
You must not over bake these cookies.
You must serve them warm:
Microwave, oven or on top of the toaster for a bit = Good idea
But don’t skewer them and try to warm them over a fire; smoky cookies – does that sound nice? Well I’ll tell you now, it’s not, just stick to toasting marshmallows over the fire for now (then sandwich warm cookies around them).
Momofuku Mash-Up Cookies
1 1/2 cups (12 oz / 325g) sugar
1/4 cup (3 oz / 85g) glucose
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 ounces 55% chocolate, melted
1 1/4 cups (5.8 oz / 160g) flour
3/4 cup (3 oz / 85g) cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
4 1/2 tsp (0.75 oz / 20g) butter, melted
1 1/4 cups (310 ml) cornflakes
2 tbsp milk powder
2 1/4 tsp sugar
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp + 1 tsp (1.25 oz / 35g) butter, melted
Make the Chocolate crumbs:
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Combine the flour, cornstarch, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and paddle on low speed until mixed.
- Add the butter and paddle on low speed until the mixture starts to come together in small clusters.
- Spread the clusters onto a lined cookie tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes, breaking them up occasionally. The crumbs should still be slightly moist to the touch at that point; they will dry and harden as they cool. Pour the cooled crumbs into a small bowl.
- Turn oven down to 275 degrees F (140 degrees C)
- In a medium bowl, with your hands, crush cornflakes to ¼ of their original size. Add milk powder, sugar, and salt; toss to mix. Add butter; toss to coat.
- On the parchment lined cookie tray, spread clusters and bake for 15-20 minutes, at which point they should look toasted, smell buttery, and crunch gently when cooled slightly and chewed. Pour the cooled cornflake crumbs into the small bowl with the chocolate crumbs.
Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix just until the dough comes together, no longer than 1 minute. (Do not walk away from the machine during this step, or you will risk overmixing the dough.) Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
Pour the chocolate chips, chocolate crumbs and cornflake crumbs into the bowl of the stand mixer. Still on low speed, mix just until incorporated, about 30 seconds.
Take 2-3 tbsp of dough and roll into a ball. Place balls of cookie dough on a parchment-lined cookie tray. Pat the tops of the cookie dough domes flat. Wrap the sheet pan tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 1 week.
Heat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Arrange the chilled dough a minimum of 4 inches apart on parchment- or Silpat-lined sheet pans. Bake for 7-9 minutes. The cookies will puff, crackle, and spread. If after 9 minutes, the cookies still seem doughy in the center, give them another 1 minute in the oven, but not more. Let the cookies cool on the cookie tray for 5 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. The cookies are best served warm.