Individual Blueberry Cakes – 5 ingredients, 30 minutes

June 13, 2012 · 13 comments in Breakfast,Cake,Muffins,Small cakes and Baked Doughnuts

Are you ready for your life to change?

It can happen in 30 short minutes, if you want it to…. and believe me, you do.

It will happen in the form of a flaky sugar-crisp top concealing a fluffy, jammy goldmine of blueberries and cake.

All that with only 5 ingredients…

Okay, well 5 ingredients plus water… and optional cinnamon and lemon juice, but I just count those as life essentials, not necessarily ingredients (especially the cinnamon).

Ummm, so why are you still reading this and not making these right now?

Individual Blueberry Cakes- 5 ingredients, 30 minutes

makes enough for 4-5 medium ramekins

2 cups (10 oz / 280g) blueberries
1/3 cup + 3 tbsp (6 oz + 1.5 oz / 65g + 45g ) sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup (80 ml) whipping cream
2/3 cup (3 oz / 85g) self-raising flour*

optional:
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
Put the blueberries in a bowl, with 1/2 cup (125 ml) of water, the 1/3 cup (6 oz / 65g) of sugar (and cinnamon and lemon juice if you want them). Stir until the blueberries are coated with the mixture. Divide between 4 or 5 medium ramekins.

In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp (1.5oz / 45g) of sugar, the egg and cream. Add the flour and stir until just combined, don’t over mix it! Pour the mixture into the  ramekins and sprinkle the remaining 1tbsp of sugar on top of the batter (or you could sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture onto the batter here…I highly recommend it!). Place the ramekins on a baking tray (to stop juice dripping everywhere in the oven).

Bake for 15-20 minutes, until well risen and golden brown.

* or just sub for an equal volume of all purpose flour and add 1 tsp of baking powder

Melinda (cookingalamel) June 14, 2012 at 1:37 am

LOVE how easy (and delicious) these look!!

M e k i June 14, 2012 at 2:37 am

is it possible to do this with strawberries? :)

izy June 14, 2012 at 11:46 am

well, I haven’t tried it but, yeah, I’m sure it would work with pretty much any fruits!

Angsthase June 16, 2012 at 4:54 pm

These look almost too beautiful to eat! (Almost, I said. Almost…) I love your photos + use of font in the top picture, too. Your blog is such a dream to read!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes June 18, 2012 at 11:57 am

These are really last minute cakes. So easy and they look unbelievably good! I wonder if they work as one large cake.

izy June 18, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Thanks! I think it would work, you would just have to increase the baking time probably by 15-20 minutes depending on the size of your cake pan.

D@n!kA June 19, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Tried this it came out just wonderful~ I loved it! every last bit of it… I did modify it a bit though, I didn’t want too much flour so I added half n half (flour and oats…) and then added some dark chocolate on top as well~
Thanks for the recipe!!!

Louise Hutt June 20, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I tried it and it was amaaaazing! I ended up making a large one as well as four small ones – definitely needed cooking longer. I also used mixed berries instead of just blueberries. Photos and write up here: http://heartbreakershandbook.tumblr.com/post/25498630961/individual-blueberry-cakes-by-top-with-cinnamon

Nebras November 28, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Beautiful :)
Will try it tomorrow. I’m just wondering why you used whipping cream for the crust part. I’ve read a lot of recipes that use butter instead of the whipping cream part.
I’m just a wee bit worried about the whipping cream, i’s all. *fidgets in seat*

Izy November 28, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Well the fat in the cream replaces the need for using both milk and butter, so you only need to use one ingredient instead of two :)

jess February 1, 2014 at 1:14 am

is there any substitute for the cream?

Izy February 1, 2014 at 12:16 pm

you could use full fat coconut milk or creme fraiche

Ava February 22, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Instead of making individual blueberry cakes could I just make one large one considering I only have one large ramekin bowl/dish. Would I only have to change the time spent in the oven?