Toasted Coconut-Hazelnut Butter (and how to clean your blender in 10 seconds flat)

August 25, 2012 · 32 comments in Snacks

If one of my friends orders an ice cream flavour I was considering, even if I wasn’t dead set on getting it, I suddenly become slightly angry that they’ve ordered it because now I have to get something different (I don’t like to have the same things as other people in certain situations too).

This happened in a weird way the other day when I managed to sabotage myself.

I had used up most of my hazelnut butter on the filling of these delicious things – and as I was scooping it out of the jar, I was silently starting to panic. Seriously, ‘I’m running out of hazelnut butter, what the heck am I going to do!?’

It’s not even like I’ve been addicted to it or anything, it has literally taken me 5 months to eat this one, tiny jar of it. But I was just freaking out about the fact that I wouldn’t have any more.

I realised I could just make some myself – but then started thinking about how many other people have a recipe for hazelnut butter on their blog.

REAL TIME UPDATE: Okay a huge fly-that-I-thought-was-a-bee just flew in front of my computer screen, and I majorly jumped. Man! Talk about scary-and-a-half!

Anyways, as I told you, with certain things (especially food) I don’t like to copy other people. So halfway through making hazelnut butter, I just thought ‘Well coconut is pretty tasty, I can add some in and make it a coconut butter too. Actually, I’ll even toast the coconut so there’s more coconut flavour.’ which is how the most delicious nut butter ever was made, it’s even spreadable straight from the fridge!!!

(p.s. if you find some other recipe posted before mine for  a Toasted Coconut-Hazelnut Butter, can you just leave me in my unembarrassed ignorance? What you don’t know, can’t hurt you and make your brain laugh at you all night)

Now, you may be thinking, ‘how the heck can I come up with some magical way worthy enough to get this coconut-hazelnut butter into my face?’ (except on toast, apples or with a spoon). Oh, have I got you covered man; I have some recipe-cards (ha, unintentional pun now intended) up my sleeves coming soon…*

Ooh, ooh, one more thang: are you super annoyed when having to clean blenders and other Indiana-Jones-esque machines? YOU CAN TOTALLY CLEAN IT WITHOUT HAVING TO STICK YOUR HAND INTO THAT DEATH TRAP, and it only takes a few seconds to do. Its a win-win-win sitch:
easy, delicious nut butter, no cut fingers, clean up extra fast.

Hoorayyyy! Read the text below the typed recipe (after the break) to find out how!

* Check out these Banana, Honey and Toasted Coconut-Hazelnut Butter Crostini with Fleur de sel

Toasted Coconut-Hazelnut Butter

makes around 2 cups

3 cups (16.5 oz / 460g) hazelnuts
1 cup (3.5 oz / 85g) unsweetened desiccated coconut

Preheat your oven to 250 degrees F, and spread the hazelnuts out on a large, rimmed cookie sheet. Toast the hazelnuts in the oven for 7-10 minutes, when they should be fragrant and the skins are cracked and peeling. Let them cool for a little while you toast the coconut:

Put the coconut into a dry frying pan. Stir constantly over a medium-high heat until mostly golden brown, and fragrant (2-3 minutes). Pour straight into a small bowl.

Wrap the hazelnuts in a large clean dish towel and rub together to remove (the majority of) the bitter skins. Put the coconut and skinned hazelnuts into a food processor or blender and blitz on high speed, stopping to scrape down the sides every minute or so, until liquidy and smooth (about 10 minutes).

Pour the nut butter into a glass jar and seal. I like to store mine in the fridge so it doesn’t go rancid, but it takes me a while to eat an entire jar!

To clean your blender, rinse it out a little with some warm water.
Then pour about 1/2 cup (125 ml) of hot water into the blender, put on the lid and put it back onto the machine. Turn it on and blitz for 10 seconds (ish), pour out the water, quickly rinse once more. DONE! (also, if the water is hot enough, it should dry super fast too).

Anonymous August 26, 2012 at 2:45 am

Slathered on crepes-hello?! YUM……. thank you for your wonderful blog.

izy August 26, 2012 at 1:13 pm

mmmmmmm, omg yes! thanks for reading it!

Cannella Vita August 26, 2012 at 3:44 am

I pinned this recipe! I just got a new Blendtec blender and I CAN’T wait to make this in it! Oh, and guess what? I am going to make Orangette’s french toast tomorrow — this would be perfect to top it off with!

izy August 26, 2012 at 1:13 pm

awesome!!!! oooh, sounds great!

emma August 26, 2012 at 3:51 am

See, that looks and sounds great and now I’m angry that I can’t make it cause I read your blog before thinking of it myself. Well, bite me, cause I happen to have a bag of almonds that I can use instead and maybe I’ll add some cocoa and then I’m not copying you at all! Ha ha, genius me. (Just make sure not to google almond coconut butter before hand…that might lead to more anger…..)

izy August 26, 2012 at 1:14 pm

AHAHA, so it’s not only me who feels this way then!! Go for it :) oh god, google can be a powerful tool for crushing dreams :/

marla August 26, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Great recipe! Will be linking back to this in my post tomorrow :)

izy August 26, 2012 at 11:09 pm

awesome, thanks!

James August 26, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Hey!!! What am I doing wrong?!? I’ve been blending in the food processor for 15mins and it’s still powder consistency. Should I add a bit of coconut oil?

izy August 26, 2012 at 8:47 pm

keep blending!! it should turn paste-y then liquidy. If you want, you can add 1 tbsp of a neutral liquid oil to help it along :)

James August 26, 2012 at 9:20 pm

It turns out that I was being impatient (and own a crappy food processor), I won’t doubt your skills again…thanks :)

izy August 26, 2012 at 9:21 pm

ahaha, no prob :)

wallflourgirl August 27, 2012 at 8:32 am

DEATH TRAP yes, thank you. I experienced the same irrational anger with my cookie butter and ended up making the most delicious thing (un)known to mankind, maybe next to this hazelnut coconut butter. On a tangentially related note, I also undergo a similar process of irrationality when I see somebody get on the treadmill next to me when I’m already running, in which case I end up sprinting upwards of 7 miles sometimes while gritting my teeth and cursing the fact that they are not giving up before I am. Even though they’re completely oblivious to the fact that we’re, you know, competing. Or something like that.

izy August 27, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Ooooh, cookie butter…that may be better than this..I mean, nothing can really beat cookies or butter. HAHAH, I do that when I’m cycling or walking ALL THE TIME!!! – don’t worry, you’re not alone :)

meatballsandmilkshakes.com August 27, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Delicious! I was wondering how long it lasts in the fridge before it goes moldy, if you don’t do the boiling water canning thing?

izy August 27, 2012 at 6:39 pm

thanks! Well, because it doesn’t contain sugar, and has a lot of fats in it, it should last quite a while! If you think about it, oil doesn’t go mouldy; fat is a preservative which extends the shelf life (sugar and moisture are what mould / bacteria need to grow). The fat does however go rancid after a while (especially nut oils) so that is the only thing to worry about. However, if you store it in the fridge, I don’t see why it wouldn’t last a few months without going rancid :)

jas - the gluten free scallywag August 28, 2012 at 10:03 am

oh good lordy this sounds amazing and for the record, never seen or heard of coconut hazelnut butter before!

izy August 30, 2012 at 1:27 pm

haha, thank you, you’ve put my mind at ease :)

Natalie August 29, 2012 at 4:19 am

Wow, girl. Thanks to Pinterest, I found this nut butter. And thanks to you I’ll be awake half the night thinking about it! First time here, and I’m so glad I found your blog. Gorgeous photos! Can’t wait to poke around a bit more…

izy August 30, 2012 at 1:26 pm

thanks!

candice August 31, 2012 at 3:15 pm

ooooh, I’ve had something like this before and it was to DIE FOR. I would love to make this. ( I hoarded my jar from my kids…)
I will try. And I know the feeling of getting mad, in your head, when you have an awesome food plan, then some one foils it. HA!
Nice post.

izy September 7, 2012 at 9:24 pm

HAHA, I always end up hiding nut butters at the back of the fridge :) Thanks!

Jayne September 2, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Wow this sounds like something I have to try! Amazing, thanks!

Cannella Vita September 11, 2012 at 2:15 am

I just made this and it was AMAZING! I love to spread it on banana bread (weird, but delicious!). I added some coconut oil to it to make it more liquidy, because it was initially a bit grainy. I can’t wait to eat some more of this for breakfast tomorrow!

Christine A. May 29, 2013 at 5:37 am

CURRENTLY ADDICTED TO BUTTER. THANKS FOR THE INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO CLEAN MY BLENDER.

I CURRENTLY DONT FUX WITH PINTEREST BUT I’M GROWING TO LIKE THIS BUTTER-THEMED PINTEREST SHIT. I’M GONNA REBLOG THE SHIT OUT OF THIS

-CHRISTINE

Wendy March 20, 2014 at 8:16 am

and for how many years have I been struggling to clean my blender???!!! Perfect little hint! Grazie!

Aqiyl Aniys March 30, 2014 at 8:35 pm

A yum yum. This coconut-hazelnut recipe is amazing! Thanks.

Jess August 30, 2014 at 3:45 pm

THIS BLENDER IDEA IS LITERALLY THE BEST IDEA I HAVE EVER HEARD IN MY WHOLE EXISTENCE ON THIS EARTH!!!! Sometimes I’m itching to make something in my blender but I honestly can’t be bothered cleaning the huge thing afterwards. Thank you so much!