Individual Wholegrain Apple Ginger Breakfast Cakes

September 7, 2012 · 12 comments in Breakfast,Cake

Can we just celebrate please? Like tomorrow morning? Food is essential.

Celebrate:
For a birthday, for these spicy, buttery cakes; for the all A*s, for the feeling you get when drinking a tea and watching Howl’s Moving Castle as the rain splashes the windows and thunder cackles in the distance.

Recruit people – Dad: Grow the apples; Izy: Cut up the apples – okay, I’m too freaked out by the prospect of bugs being all crawly inside them…Mum: Cut up the apples…please.

Eat a cake. Sit down and eat that cake for breakfast! You will need: Cakes, coffee, a chair, this song. Do it.

I may have actually eaten mine for lunch – whatever, just means I got double breakfast today. Awesome.

Don’t worry, the cakes are basically a health food right? Whole grains, fruit, vitamins, butter – all essential for a balanced diet. Hey hey, I’m a profesh – don’t question it, 10 A*s has to count for something.

Resist eating more cake, there are only 7 of them – photos need to be taken.

Drink coffee from a mason jar you awesome person, you.

Bake cookies, bake more cake. Maybe eat a salad now, yeah?…

p.s. in case you didn’t notice my extremely subtle (as per ushe) hint dropping, I got my GCSE results on Thursday - All 10 of ‘em A*s. I’m not sure if this is sounding extremely boast-y, because I just ate a cake for lunch so I’m on an extra-happy high (I’m sure I’ll come back down later and regret this…meh, something for my brain to taunt me about later)

Individual Wholegrain Apple Ginger Breakfast Cakes

makes 7 small cakes

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup coarse cornmeal
1/2 cup oat flour (a little more than 3/4 cup rolled oats, blended until fine)*
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup cored, diced apple with 3 tbsp reserved for topping
3 tbsp candied ginger, chopped finely
1 egg
1/3 cup neutral oil
1/3 cup + 2 tbsp buttermilk
3 tbsp melted butter

raw sugar for topping

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin tin or grease 7 mini loaf pans

Stir together the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl (flour through to ginger).

Add the rest of the ingredients and mix together until just combined – don’t overmix.

Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter and sprinkle with raw sugar and reserved diced apple.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until well risen, golden brown and cooked all the way through.

*you can totes sub the 1/2 cup of oat flour for 1/2 cup more whole wheat flour

Russell at Chasing Delicious September 8, 2012 at 1:58 am

My gosh I’d be so happy getting the start the day with one of these little cakes! Yum!

izy September 8, 2012 at 1:16 pm

haha, cake is the way to go for a happy breakfast!

Cannella Vita September 8, 2012 at 5:12 am

Congrats on your exams!!!! These cakes look so adorable and delicious! I wonder if I could make them in muffin form…

izy September 8, 2012 at 1:11 pm

thanks :) Yeah, you can deffo do that!

Laura Dembowski September 8, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I love apple cake and these looks so good! I love the use of oat flour too. I have some in the pantry waiting to be used.

Michele September 9, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Looks really delicious! Are those mini-loaf pans reusable and where can I buy some?

izy September 9, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Thanks! I used cardboard disposable loaf cases from Sainsburys (a supermarket in the UK), I think you can buy them on Amazon here:

or similar ones here:

Or of course you can use metal mini loaf pans which are re-usable :)

Laurence - Gourmandize UK September 19, 2013 at 2:27 pm

These look fantastic, congratulations on your beautiful photos, I was wondering if you’d like to enter this recipe into our Gourmandize Giveaway recipe competition. This month the theme is apples so it would be perfect, and there are nice prizes to win – let me know what you think:

Regards,

Laurence

Sarah October 7, 2013 at 2:35 am

Thanks for your wonderful recipe! My daughter showed it to me and I could hardly believe she wanted to make something so healthy! She tasted them and declared we should always have them available! A delicious combination of flavours and textures.
I reduced the sugar to 1/3 cup as we can’t buy cooking apples here in Australia and dessert apples are much sweeter.
It made 8 large round muffins.
We will be trying out other recipes from your blog soon!

Jessica November 9, 2013 at 11:44 pm

I made this recipe yesterday, but as one loaf instead of individual ones and it turned out great! I love the texture that the corn meal gives it! Thank you for a beautiful recipe, I will be adding this one to my recipe rotation :)

sharon mcintyre March 18, 2014 at 4:57 pm

what about the carbs in the cake?