Cheesecake Swirl Lemon Blondies

October 28, 2012 · 17 comments in Bars and Brownies

Dear Autumn,

Can you please give me some fruit to eat? Like, yeah, I get it: Apples and Pears. Wooh, harvest festival 2k12 timez!*

But seriously, that’s not a real festival. Stop lying to the world, there’s no music there; There are no exclusive wristbands. Can’t you just, I dunno, steal peaches away from Summer, that sassy season has loads of other fruits, he doesn’t need peaches too. Winter has his priorities straight, he has citrus fruits as well as apples and pears. Yeah.

Thanks for the crunchy leaves though. and the butternut squash.

Izy.

*I hope you realise I don’t actually talk like that… :/ Although I do tend to incorporate ‘sassy’ into my sentences recently.

Ummm…this is the reason I’m making lemon baked goods now. In case you were wondering.

I’m just not very motivated by the whole apple-thing at the mo. I might get there, I might not, who knows. I eat apples all year round, so when it’s apple season, and everywhere is all: “apples, apples, APPLES!” I get a bit rebellious (…sassy, if you may) and just like, “no, you know what, I’m tired of you apples, leave me alone for a season already.”

These totally aren’t #farmtotable, even though I should be enjoying Autumn’s beautiful bounty of apples, I’m not, sorry. But I did put cheesecake into lemon blondies for you; I hope that makes up for my lack of seasonal motivation!

Now I literally have nothing entertaining to say, so I’ll let you look the rest of these (super ugly) photos (which I’m really sorry about, but I wasn’t motivated enough to re-shoot) before you read the recipe, in peace.

Notes

-If you really love the ‘cheesecake’ aspect, you can make more of it ( :D ) by increasing the amount of: cream cheese to 8oz and sugar (in the cheesecake swirl mixture) to 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp (63 g)

-Equally, if you hate the cheesecake part, just leave it out. They’re still delish without it, although I recommend glazing them with a simple lemon icing made with about 1/2 cup (50g) of powdered sugar with enough lemon juice and water added to it to make it into an icing which is thin enough to drizzle.

Cheesecake Swirl Lemon Blondies

Lemon Blondie batter adapted from PillsburyCheesecake Swirl adapted from Alice Medrich

makes 12-16 blondies

for the cheesecake swirl:
6 oz (165g) cream cheese
1/4 cup (50g) sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp lemon zest (optional )

For the Lemon Blondies:
6 tbsp (3oz / 84g) butter
1 cup (200g) sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp lemon zest
2 eggs
1 cup (130g) flour
1/4 tsp baking powder

Butter and flour a 8″ square baking pan, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).

Prepare the Cheesecake Swirl batter: Combine all the cheesecake swirl ingredients in a small bowl, set aside.

Prepare the Lemon Blondie batter: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Take off the heat and stir in the sugar, salt, lemon zest and lemon juice. Let cool a bit, then quickly whisk in the eggs. Stir in the flour and baking powder. Pour half of the blondie batter into the prepared pan, spreading it out evenly.

Pour the cheesecake mixture over the top, and spread out evenly. Dollop the remaining blondie batter into the pan on top of the cheesecake mixture. Take a butter knife and gently swirl the batter. Bake for 25-30 minutes (they should be golden brown – unlike in my photos where I under baked them..oops). Let cool before cutting and serving.

Erica October 28, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Dear Izy,
These look amazing! I have a bunch of friends who are absolutely OBSESSED with anything-lemon. I am considering hosting a lemon-themed baking club meeting this Wednesday at school (if the storm blows over — school was cancelled on Monday and Tuesday for a hurricaine!). But if things clear up by Wednesday, these bars will definitely be in attendance!

Izy October 31, 2012 at 1:37 pm

AAHH, hope you’re all good now! Lucky about school, I have a 2 week break atm yaaaayyyyy it’s basically the only thing good about the English education system: half-terms

Ala October 29, 2012 at 9:13 am

I’m totally on board with you. Plus the fact that we’re having 80-90 degree F weather over here (not to brag or anything–but I guess I’m bragging just by saying that) and that the farmers’ markets still sell lemons means that it’s summer as far as I’m concerned. And for once, the atmospheric gods and I are in cahoots…guess I’ll have to pay homage and bake these soon, eh?

Izy October 31, 2012 at 1:39 pm

hahah, it’s ridics gloomy over here, it seems to be grey ALL THE TIME. The lemons make me feel a bit better :) YES.

Kim October 29, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Dear Izy,
First, it is not even possible for you to take a bad photo….you are AMAZING. Second, these lemon blondies look fabulous and totally appropriate for any time of year!!!! Apples and pears are yummy, but too much of a good thing gets boring. Thanks for being sassy :)

Izy October 31, 2012 at 1:39 pm

aww thank you :D hahahah, I always try to stay sassy :’)

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen October 29, 2012 at 1:50 pm

These just might inspire me to back away from the pumpkin. Although I really want the apples because I guess there’s a shortage this year, so I’m craving them even more!

I love cheesecake and lemon, but I’ve never had them together…they look amazing.

Izy October 31, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I’ve only baked one pumpkin thing – I feel like I’m only just getting started, so I’m gunna be the lonely awkward person on foodgawker in November still baking pumpkin things :/ There is never a shortage of apples in England, they’re always around. Always. But I know what you mean – you want something more when you think you can’t have it! Mmmm its so tangy and delicious :)

superdripp October 29, 2012 at 4:56 pm

IZY. I think you have a condition. The word sassy is slowly taking over your life.
CLASSIC TWC X

Izy October 31, 2012 at 1:42 pm

NO. SASSY IS A WAY OF LIFE.

Ronja @ a dash of faith October 30, 2012 at 8:20 am

Lemon blondies sound amazing, and with cheesecake swirl even more so!

Izy October 31, 2012 at 1:43 pm

thank you! :)

Mic Dejun de Bucuresti October 31, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Wow, these look awesome! I have to try this since I’m such a big fan of cheesecake and any cake with lemon. Love your blog, I discovered it recently. :)

anna November 22, 2012 at 12:38 pm

You have seriously inspired me to start baking again after many years ‘out’

Thanks from Burgundy – France

Cynthia December 26, 2012 at 5:05 am

I am thinking of making these with a lemon curd AND cheesecake swirl. Thoughts?