Nutella and Salted Caramel Stuffed Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

November 25, 2012 · 81 comments in Cookies

So apparently, nature decided to create a thing called wisdom teeth.

Yeah, that’s totally happening. I have a wisdom tooth growing in…

…and I’m completely terrified.

You’d think the key word – ‘wisdom’ – would imply knowledge gaining, and being waaay sassier than ever before.

But no.

As I had previously not known, wisdom teeth are actually apparently a nightmare. Maybe the name refers to the ‘wisdom’ you gain about the horrible experience you’re probably about to embark upon, once you’ve Googled ‘wisdom teeth’.

The Wikipedia page is pretty much 100% dedicated to how terrible they are.

The worst thing of all: this tooth only just started growing in like 3 days ago, and before that I was blissfully unaware of the fact that:

a) Wisdom teeth can start growing in even when you’re 16 – my age :’(

b) It will most likely be a painful experience

So now, I’m just savouring these last few days / weeks before the suffering begins. I finally know how Barney feels after his slapbet with Marshall in How I Met Your Mother.

Oh gahd. What if it’s not over by Christmas :( I won’t be able to make and eat these heavenly things.

Please. Help. Me.

Anyways, on a less depressing, scary note: I made cookies! and filled them with super fine goodness, a.k.a nutella and that salted caramel I made a while ago.

And yes, I made .gifs.

- you can find the salted caramel recipe here (don’t worry, it’ll lits take less than 15 minutes)

- alternatively, you can melt 1/2 cup of soft caramels with 2-3 tbsp of milk and use that to fill the cookies, or just put a caramel-filled chocolate (like rolos or something) into the middle of the cookie with the nutella.

Nutella and Salted Caramel Stuffed Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

Serving Size: 15-16 large cookies

Nutella and Salted Caramel Stuffed Double Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup (110g) butter
1 1/2 cups (350g) light brown sugar
1/2 cup (55g) cocoa powder
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
2 cups (260g) all-purpose flour
3.5 oz (100g) milk or dark chocolate chips
flaky salt/ fleur de sel/ maldon salt, for sprinkling
approx. 1/2 cup (8 tbsp) nutella
1x recipe for Salted caramel (see notes for recipe) OR 15-16 caramel-filled chocolates

Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Take off the heat and stir in the brown sugar and eggs. Then add the cocoa, salt and baking powder and stir until well combined. Add the flour and stir until no floury patches are left. Lastly stir in the chocolate chips.

Make the caramel, if using (see notes for recipe)

Take 1 heaped tbsp of dough, use your finger make a large indentation the centre of the dough; fill the indentation with a small blob of nutella (like 1/2 tsp ish), and top it up with the still-warm salted caramel, or a caramel-filled chocolate. Top with a flattened tablespoon of dough, and seal the edges. (see .gifs below recipe)

Sprinkle with fleur de sel and bake for 8-10 minutes.

Squish it

Fill with nutella.

Then some warm caramel.

Top it, and seal it.

Natasha November 25, 2012 at 7:16 pm

aaahhhhh nutella is so good. too good. these look awesome.

Izy November 26, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Obsessed for life! thanks :)

Ala November 25, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Yeah, completely unacceptable–you need to make and eat all of those things…especially that toffee! Go, go, go, soldier! Oh, and did I mention that I stayed awake during the entire operation and got to feel my teeth being crushed while having quite a pleasant conversation with the doctor? It was actually quite a cool experience, I must admit :D I thought my skull was getting very politely pulled apart (without any of the pain, of course! Thank goodness for modern medicine).

Izy November 26, 2012 at 5:26 pm

omg, I’ve been craving it so much after seeing your post, but after thanksgiving and these cookies, I’m pretty much trying to make sure I don’t turn into a whale by Christmas :/ Ahh, dear god why did they let you be awake :’(

Sarah November 25, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Oh yum! A combo of my faves!
So sorry about your wisdom teeth, but hoping for the best. They aren’t too bad for some people and you may get blessed! I hope so!
I’ve been dealing with braces and hardly enjoyed my Thanksgiving meal, so I feel your pain. At least it doesn’t last forever! :D

Izy November 26, 2012 at 5:32 pm

thank you! I’ve been quite lucky with my teeth so far, so I’m hoping the luck will continue! :) Aww, poor you! Loads of my friends had braces, and they were always annoyed about not being able to eat things like caramel or gum!

Meg @ Sweet Twist November 25, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Don’t worry not all wisdom teeth experience are terrible.

You will be able to enjoy cookies like these again in no time.

Izy November 27, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I really really hope so! :/ haha, I will eat cookies a-plenty :)

Mimi @ Culinary Couture November 25, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Oh my, you’re only 16! You are SO talented! I love your site and your pictures and especially your gifs! You have to have a tripod to make gifs, right? I’ve tried the whole taking consecutive pictures and trying to keep everything in position to make an awesome gif, but it just does not work. Wait, are yours videos or a series of photos?

Izy November 27, 2012 at 9:55 pm

haha, thank you!! yeah I use a tripod, and I take loads of photos in a row, then make the .gif with them :)

Larissa November 26, 2012 at 12:53 am

The picture alone made me want to lick my computer screen, but scrolling down and then seeing the videos actually made me salivate….RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS LOOKING!!! I can’t wait to make these!!

Izy November 27, 2012 at 9:56 pm

they are pretty dang delicious! you will love them, I’m sure ;)

Erica November 26, 2012 at 2:06 am

OH MY GOD. Your blog posts NEVER fail to amaze me. The amount of time, effort and talent in each post is amazing. I wish I had the patience to make my posts as beautiful as this!

Izy November 27, 2012 at 9:58 pm

aww, thank you so much Erica!! I’m always amazed by how many delicious posts you manage to do each week! they always sound and look soooooo good :P I’ve made my list for your Christmas package, and I’m going shopping this weekend to get all of it ;)

Huey November 26, 2012 at 2:29 am

OMG, you’re only 16? Where do you find the time to learn/create these amazing photos/gifs? Amazing blog, photos, and those are extremely yummy looking cookies!

Izy November 27, 2012 at 10:01 pm

It’s a bit of a struggle: Since January, ‘Sunday’ has been re-named ‘bake-photograph-blog-day’. That is my life, haha. Thank you :D

carey November 26, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Oh MAN, wisdom teeth. {Brace yourself, I’m about to write an epic account of my experience with wisdom teeth. Feel free to skip it, because it’s going to be way too long and probably won’t make you feel any better about them!} Mine started coming in when I was 18. The pain would get so bad that my jaw would actually lock up, then it would stop after a few days and I’d go back to happily not dealing with it (because I was in college and distracted by 1,001 things). Then I had a bout that was so bad, I called my mom crying and told her if she didn’t get me an appointment asap, I was going to rip them out of my face myself. It turned out that three of the teeth were impacted and my jaw was too small to fit anymore teeth in it anyway. They had to break my jaw on both sides to get the bottom ones out, and my face was so bruised and swollen that I couldn’t talk for the first 24 hours, and I had to write on a chalkboard. Then on the second day, the pain pills they gave me started making me violently nauseous, and I spent the morning and afternoon upchucking and crying because I had no idea what was going on (and my parents had gone out for a few hours after I’d told them in the morning that I felt great). My mom called the doctor as soon as they got home, and then relayed his reassurance to me that “it was nothing to be worried about, it was just the codeine reacting to all the blood in my stomach from the surgery.” (Which immediately made me vomit again.) That was the worst of it, though. After that it was just lots of pain pill loopy-ness and dealing with my growing disdain for soft mushy food.

On the plus side, I’m pretty sure my wisdom teeth experience was one of the worst. (Most of the people I tell that story to are appalled.) And the actual surgery itself was nothing, since they knocked me out for the whole thing. The worst part of it all was the pain in the beginning when they were coming in. I’d go through the surgery and the post-op sickfest ten times over if it meant never having to feel that pain again! Also, the first bagel/bowl of popcorn you have after your mouth has healed will be the most delicious thing you’ve ever eaten.

Aaand these cookies look ridiculously awesome. You’re making me wonder why I’ve never made cookies filled with anything before…. What have I been doing??

Good luck with the wisdom teeth, Izy! I hope you’re healed in time to eat lots of holiday treats. (:

Izy November 27, 2012 at 10:04 pm

AHA, omg I got the notification for this comment on my phone and lits had to scroll for like 5 pages :’) God, that sounds horrible :( I hope you ate lots and lots of bagels and chewy caramels after that!!

I totally get you, I never really can be bothered to mush fillings into cookie dough, but after these cookies, I think it will happen a lot more often ;) Thanks Carey!

brighteyedbaker November 26, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Oh my gosh I’m in looooveeee. My three absolute favorite things right now… chocolate (always), nutella, and salted caramel…. IN COOKIES! I seriously need to get around to trying some of your recipes. There’s a growing list of them that I’m dying to make!

Izy November 27, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Chocolate = top priority ofc :) Haha, thank you!

Mercedes November 27, 2012 at 2:12 am

First, I promise having your wisdom teeth out will not be bad at all! Second, um, these cookies are everything anyone could want all rolled into one delicacy! I cannot wait to make these!

Izy November 27, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Thanks Mercedes! I really hope it will be okay :/ Gahh, I love these cookies so much :’)

renee November 28, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I had my wisdom teeth removed the same time last year! The first day after surgery was a bit tough…could not eat solids. After that….smooth sailing. No bruising or swelling. Follow the doctors orders. Sleep with head elevated, no swishing, rinse with medication, etc. Make sure to take you anit-bods and pain pills to help with the healing. Good luck….saying prayers for you.

Izy December 2, 2012 at 10:49 pm

thanks for the tips ;)

Heidi @ Food Doodles November 28, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Aw, I’m feeling for you! I have to get all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed in a couple months and I am terrified already. Anyways, I just wanted to say that I love your gifs!! And of course, your cookies look amazing :D

Izy December 2, 2012 at 10:48 pm

thank you :) glad I’m not the only one going through this!

style fare November 28, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Hi Izy – this looks incredible! Much like everything else on your blog. :) I’m so happy I stumbled upon your site – my friend Katherine (Gigiblue) and I really enjoy all your videos and recipes. Keep up the wonderful work! xo from New York, Hana :)

Izy December 1, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Thank you much Hana! Just had a look at your blog, that salad recipe looks gorgeous :) loving those beets!

Elane Williams November 28, 2012 at 11:25 pm

yummy I love chocolate but with Nutella and caramel double yummy

Izy December 2, 2012 at 10:49 pm

exactly! :P

Spencer November 29, 2012 at 2:06 am

Looks awesome! I would so love to try some. I am sure they taste great.

Izy December 2, 2012 at 10:50 pm

thanks! they were awesome ;)

Natasha November 29, 2012 at 9:03 am

Hi Izy! I love this post. Am completely obsessed with Nutella. Your photos are absolutely gorgeous, and I cannot believe you are only 16! You’re doing amazing things : )
ps. sucks about your teeth!

Izy December 2, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Yii-Huei December 2, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Love the idea of stuffing the salted caramel.

I had four teeth removed this year because I needed room before I got my braces! I’m quite sure that getting your wisdom teeth removed is worse than getting normal teeth pulled out. I had two removed in one day! And then the two, the weekend before my birthday. I say, eat as much as you want before you get them removed (if you do) .My mum said that she had to suffer for a week of pain!

Izy December 2, 2012 at 10:50 pm

thanks! aww, poor you! haha, I’m eating loads as per ushe!

Heidi @ Bits of Sunshine December 6, 2012 at 1:29 pm

wow! These look (and sound) too good to be true! I am so sorry about ur wisdoms! :( I hop e all is well before christmas :(

Izy December 6, 2012 at 1:31 pm

thank you :) me too! no problems so far :)

Alexandra December 8, 2012 at 2:59 pm

These cookies look gorgeous … and you are doing amazing photography!!!

gulja December 14, 2012 at 11:55 am

so, made them today. still in the oven. they look good already. thank you for you really good work – makes you always want to bake again and again and again! my second recipe with your website! love the style of the page and all the recipes too!

they are deli! yummmmmm! thank you for a great fun in the kitchen!

Erica December 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Oh my, my friend Erin would LOVE these — I made her some oreo stuffed chocolate chip cookies and she was absolutely obsessed. I will have to make these for her sometime!

Grazie December 29, 2012 at 6:48 am

was looking for a recipe for double chocolate chip cookies and with nutella and caramel this is so much more awesome than asked for! Thank you and I must say I LOVE THE GIFS!! genius idea. followed on bloglovin :) xx

Natalie anne gross January 2, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Best cookies ever! I made four batches this week .. Thanks!

laurasmess January 10, 2013 at 7:56 am

Sorry, I just posted on another of your recipes but I need to echo other people’s amazement that you’re only sixteen!!! Your photography and recipes are just beautiful. Oh, and on another note, I had to have my wisdom teeth out via surgery (yep, cutting into the bone) but rest assured: it all happened swiftly, healed well and now I only have positive memories about getting them out! Just find a good surgeon, if you need one… but hopefully you won’t. Either way, you will be FINE.

barbara February 11, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Hi, Your receipe and the pictures are phantastic!! Can you tell me, how you could embed the vine videos on your site? That looks great and so far I couldn´t manage that!
Have a wonderful day
barbara

Izy February 11, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Thanks Barbara,
I haven’t embedded any vine videos on my site…
I have embedded vimeo videos from my vimeo account, in which case, go here! https://vimeo.com/help/faq/embedding

barbara February 11, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Thank you very much! Now I understand: there are options like loop…
Too bad they don´t work on my blog (I don´t understadn why….), so my videos are always with this vimeo logo etc.
barbara

whitney February 14, 2013 at 8:16 am

Awesome. Thank you.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) February 24, 2013 at 4:34 am

Just discovered your blog–you are an incredibly talented photographer! Wowza–I am super impressed. Love the recipe and animated pictures, it makes me wish I could grab a cookie right out of the screen. Looking forward to exploring the site more! :)

V February 28, 2013 at 11:41 am

Hey, Maybe I am doing something wrong since I usually need double amount of time to get them baked or do they have to be so kind of soft and doughy? :)

malin March 4, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Hello, I stumbled upon your beautiful blog, getting linked from another blog. Wonderful pictures and great inspiration. I made your cookies right away, but it did not go so well for me…

Two questions.. How do you know when they are ready? So hard to know when they already are dark from the chocolate..

And the other thing is that all the filling fell out. I fell in love with the caramel sauce and decided to fill the cookies with only that.. But it all fell out. I really tried to stick the top on there as good as I could, but it still fell out in the oven.. Any suggestions on how I can get it to stay in there?

All the best
A Swedish fan

Izy March 4, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Hi malin!
You should be able to tell they’re done when the centre is still soft but the edges are set (stick I the baking times ive provided, if you over bake them, they’ll get to dry and hard)

As for the caramel, I’m not too sure, you need to make sure the indent to make with your thumb is deep enough to hold the caramel and also need to pinch the dough together once the top layer has been put on top. I’ve never tried it with all caramel, so the only reason I can think of for the caramel leaking out is that the lack of nutella in the centre may have meant you put too much caramel in.

Hope I helped :)

Malin March 6, 2013 at 8:24 am

Thanks a lot Izy, I will try again and make sure I do all of the things you said!

Syd March 8, 2013 at 8:49 pm

These look delicious! Probably going to make them for a party tomorrow night. How many cookies does this recipe make?

Izy March 8, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Thanks! It should make around 24-30 cookies (depending on how large you scoop em)

Syd March 9, 2013 at 3:51 am

perfect! thanks

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom March 9, 2013 at 4:59 am

Love these! I am going to try this (and maybe call me cupcakes version with the dulce de leche too) tomorrow!

tasha April 2, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Hi, i’m fascinated how talented u are at such a young age!!! Woow! Love your blog!
A few questions about this recipe: do u add the rest off the ingredients in hot melted butter?
Does the chocolate chips goes at the end off everything, or do I have to melt them with the butter?

tasha April 3, 2013 at 5:08 pm

One more question: do u think that a can make them bigger, like really huge cookies. Thanks. :)

Amelia August 27, 2013 at 6:04 am

Is it alrighty to freeze both the nutella dna cara,el for easier assembly? Or will it ruin the texture? :) looks delish!

Izy August 27, 2013 at 9:57 am

yeah you can freeze the fillings if you want!

Celina September 11, 2013 at 5:13 am

Hey! I tried this recipe and although they tasted okayish, the cookies did not look like yours. The cookies looked quite bulky in a sense and didn’t spread at all. They look like lumps of chocolate and caramel. )’: I was quite disappointed but they did still taste good. Just wanted to ask what your opinions are on what I could’ve done wrongly? Great recipe by the way! (:

Christina November 23, 2013 at 11:58 pm

I made these yesterday and they are amazinggggggg. I’ve never been a very big cookie person, but these are delicious. Perfect mix of sweet, chocolatey, with a hint of salt. I did not use homemade caramel, but caramilk instead and they turned out very well.

Arran Forster December 9, 2013 at 6:29 am

I’ve noticed these come out better if I don’t chill the ‘dough’ before shaping and cooking. (Done both)

Kate January 11, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Hey, I’m planning to make them soon, I just have one question, how and how long can you store them for?(I think they will be gone in a blink of an eye, but stil..) Love your blog!

Izy January 11, 2014 at 7:20 pm

I’d say a week in a lidded container – I’ve never had them around for more than 2 days though, so I can’t tell properly haha

Kate June 22, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I cannot wait to make these, looks so good. x katesperks.blogspot.ie