Self-Saucing Maple Pecan Cakes

November 3, 2012 · 22 comments in Cake

Maple syrup and pecans.

Man, they are one good match – they’re basically made for each other. Am I right, or am I right?

I have recently (by recent I mean like 2 months ago) discovered the joy of pecan butter. It makes trips to Whole Foods EVEN MORE EXCITING (if that’s even possible): you get to turn on the nut grinder.

No that’s not some weird figure of speech. You (may) know what I’m talking about (probably not…). Those huge grinders filled with pistachios, pecans, almonds and peanuts, then you flick a switch and watch them get ground into a delicious butter. It’s like a self-serve froyo place – except a billion times better because you can’t make pecan butter and maple syrup toast with vanilla froyo.

But seriously – pecan butter on sunflower seed toast with a drizzle of maple syrup and a sprinkle of maldon salt. OH EHM GEE. Its like eating pecan pie for breakfast.

Anywho, while I wait for Maple Pecan Pie Day (a.k.a Thanksgiving) to roll around, I have to find other ways to eat as much maple-pecan food as I can.

That’s why these cakes are here.

I made a video for you again (and some .gifs – you know by now how obsessed I am with them)! and got my super-sassy-awesome-youtuber-friend Bea (a fellow maple adorer) to help me out .

{direct link here} Self-Saucing Maple Pecan Cakes from Izy Hossack – Top With Cinnamon on Vimeo.

{or on youtube here}

She mostly kept me entertained throughout shooting while we chatted about ginger-bread-latte-scented candles, and the pronunciation of pecan; ‘pee-can’ or ‘peh-cahn’ . Although that quickly turned into us saying bacon as ‘bahcahn’  pretty much all day.

These are sooooo simple, and literally take 45 minutes to make from scratch – and that includes baking time!

What you end up with is a warm pecan and brown sugar cake, floating on a pool of caramelised-maple sauce. I topped mine with (no, not cinnamon..) whipped cream which is incredibly easy to make (see the recipe notes) and a sprinkle of pecans.

This is good stuff people.

Are you hypnotized by that, or what?

- For the whipped cream – put about 1/2 cup of heavy cream, double cream, or whipping cream into a medium bowl. Whisk for about 5 minutes by hand (or like 1-2 minutes with an electric whisk) until it starts to thicken, then stir gently with the whisk until it has thickened to whatever thickness you want (don’t over mix or it will start to separate).

-If you don’t have self-raising flour, you can easily substitute it with 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour + 1/4 tsp salt + 2 tsp baking powder.

Self-Saucing Maple-Pecan Cakes

Self-Saucing Maple-Pecan Cakes

1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 cups self raising flour (see notes)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cornstarch (aka corn flour)
1 1/3 cups boiling water
optional: 1 tsp maple flavouring

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) Grease 4-6 ramekins or deep oven proof glass/ ceramic dishes.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Take off the heat and stir in the 1/3 cup of brown sugar, egg, flour and milk until just combined. Fold in the chopped pecans and spoon into the prepared ramekins.

In a jug, stir together the maple syrup, 2 tbsp of brown sugar, salt, cornstarch and maple flavouring (if using). Add the boiling water and stir together. Pour this over the cake batter, then bake for 20-30 minutes, when a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.

Serve warm.

Alexa November 3, 2012 at 6:34 pm

This looks like a great replacement for pecan pie!

Izy November 5, 2012 at 7:58 am

Haha totally, plus a billion times less effort! :)

brighteyedbaker November 3, 2012 at 8:03 pm

These look/sound amazing! I grew up in a house devoid of maple syrup because my mom hates it, but that doesn’t stop me from loving it anytime someone combines pecans and maple syrup in a recipe like this.
And they have nut grinders at whole foods? Am I understanding this correctly? If so, I need to get there pronto!

Izy November 5, 2012 at 8:03 am

Ahh noo maple syrup is what I live for atm! Well in London at least, they have them! They’re amazingly fun – they also have a grain mill; oh wholefoods, what would life be like without it?

Ala November 4, 2012 at 3:05 am

I always have to fight off this overwhelming urge to just take a huge chomp out of spice-scented candles. And on that utterly confidence-inspiring note…this recipe sounds great! And the vid–classy, classy…

Izy November 5, 2012 at 8:04 am

Haha, I’m like that with scented/flavoured lip balm… Thank you thank you :)

Debs @ The Spanish Wok November 4, 2012 at 9:24 am

OMG these sound so good, have pinned thanks.

BTW Come check out The Monthly Blogger event over at The Spanish Wok, ALL bloggers are welcome. See here for details and current theme. You are also welcome to visit our FB page too here.

Izy November 7, 2012 at 10:17 pm

thanks!

thelittleloaf November 5, 2012 at 7:43 am

These look amazing and as for grinding your own nut butter? Wow, need to get myself down to Whole Foods!

Izy November 5, 2012 at 8:07 am

I know they have them downstairs in the whole foods on high street Kensington, have you been to that one? It’s the highlight of my HSK shopping trips :)

Ben November 5, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Just got some maple sugar from vermont… these are now a must make. Always been bit to timid to go to the HSK whole foods, will have to give it a go :D

Izy November 7, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Me = jealous! If I had maple sugar, I’d probably end up putting it in/on everything…god just imagine maple sugar + cinnamon ontop of blueberry muffins… YOU HAVE GOT TO GO, seriously, it is the best place ever. I could literally spend like 2 hours in there, although my friends are less enthusiastic!

Jessica | Portuguese Girl Cooks November 5, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I’m in love with this. Pie is just not my thing, but maple syrup and pecans are. Love the GIF’s, too cute.

Izy November 7, 2012 at 10:14 pm

haha, thanks! I’m not normally a pie-person either, I just adore my mum’s maple-pecan pie: it’s. my. life.

carey November 6, 2012 at 11:42 pm

These look delicious! Tiny, self-saucing cakes? Oh yeah, I’m all over that.

(Also, I love your use of .gifs. And the music takes it to a new level. It’s like a video I can read/scroll through. Dig it!)

Izy November 7, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Thank you!! ahaha, I always find that whenever I see a smaller version of a certain food, it immediately appeals to me x10 more :)

sophistimom November 7, 2012 at 4:38 pm

This is perfect. Love the video. And the recipe is absolutely gorgeous.

Izy November 7, 2012 at 10:16 pm

thank you! :D

Linda May 9, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Hey Cinnamon Girl,
If I wanted to make this scrumptiddleyiscious looking recipe as one what size pan would you recommend?
Thanks & Peace
– Linda

Izy May 10, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Hey Linda!
I used large ramekins that were around 10 cm in diameter, but that made like 4 huuuuge ones, so I’d say go for a smaller diameter – like 6-8 cm :)