Snickerdoodle Cookie Topped Blueberry Doughnut Muffins

November 11, 2012 · 17 comments in Breakfast,Cookies,Muffins

So you know when you’re sitting at your computer, reading some blogs, checking some stats, ignoring someone on facebook?

You’ve got Alt-j blasting in the background while browsing… it’s about to get to your favourite part of the song – and you’re singing along of course.

and..ooh, look a new post for you to read  - you can see it in the google reader preview page, pretty pictures…shift+ click that, add another new tab to the growing tab collection in chrome’s window. :D :D :D

……….aaaaaaand then your computer dies.

Literally, from hero to zero in 1 second. No blue screen of death, no ‘Windows is Shutting down’ (dah na na na). Nothing to buffer to shock of losing everything good at that second.

The cold, dark reality hits you – how loudly/badly you were singing, how many tabs you actually had open. How annoying/amazing computers are.

That is Monday.

Yeah, so my computer died on Monday (literally the above story, that was 100% my Monday night). I figured out the problem, but it took me the whole of Saturday to do. Luckily my dad is a computer-backup wizard and so all my files are fine anyway :’) THANKS DAD!

But jeez, it makes you realise how important backing your hard drive up is. Also made me remember how awesome chrome is, because you can just log into it and get all your book marks back (I pretty much have thousands of recipes bookmarked – from that primitive time known as the ‘pre-pinterest’ era).

Pro tips right there.

Anywho, to make me feel better about wasting the whole of my Saturday on fixing my computer, I needed some cakey-goodness to re-energise me. I couldn’t be bothered picking what to bake;

and what do ya do when you can’t decide? MAKE EVERYTHING AS ONE BAKED GOOD.

Cookies? Muffins? Cinnamon? Dougnuts? – I believe the proper scientific term is ‘heck yes’.

A snickerdoodle cookie is literally baked on top of blueberry-studded doughnut-muffin batter. You end up with fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth blueberry muffin, with a completely crisp outer layer (from cinnamon-sugar-coating the muffin pan and from the cookie). What’s everybody’s fave part of muffins? The crispy edges, cinnamon-sugar crackled top?

Well: These have pretty much the best muffin top in the whole entire world – crispy, sugary, AH.MAY.ZING!

- it looks like a long recipe, but really it’s nearly all the same ingredients repeated in both the muffins and cookies, so it’s actually really fast – takes about 35 minutes from start to finish.

- use half the egg (2 tbsp) for the snickerdoodles, and save the rest for the muffin batter.

- go ahead and feel free to brown the butter for those muffins!

Muffin batter adapted from ‘French Breakfast Puffs’ in my mum’s recipe book,

1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups (195g) all purpose flour
1 1/2 eggs (see notes)
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp (90ml) milk
1 cup (250ml) frozen blueberries

Grease a muffin pan, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).

Combine the cinnamon-sugar ingredients in a shallow bowl, set a side.

Make the snickerdoodles:Cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in the egg, flour. Divide the dough into 12 equal balls, flatten into disks which are roughly the width of a muffin. Coat in cinnamon-sugar. Stack them up and set aside.

Add 2 tbsp of flour to the remaining cinnamon-sugar, and use it to dust each cavity of the greased muffin pan.

Make the muffins: In the saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the next 5 ingredients until you get a sandy mixture. Stir in the egg and milk, mixing until just combined. Stir in the blueberries.

Divide the batter between the greased, cinnamon-sugar-flour coated cavities of the muffin pan. Top with a disk of cookie dough, and bake for 20-25 minutes until puffed and crackly.

Ala November 12, 2012 at 9:52 am

Heck yes is right. The one *really* irksome thing about losing an entire hard drive (aside from the obvious, i.e. losing your *entire* hard drive) is that you don’t get any of your bookmarks back. Like, ever. I lost my entire computer’s memory once–thankfully dad-le-backup-genius-part-2 got my files back for me, but all of my recipes were as far away from each other as Jack and Rose post-Titanic. Moral of the story: back up your bookmarks somewhere digitally, too! Thanks for the yummy post.

Izy November 15, 2012 at 8:18 pm

haha, dad’s seem to just have computer knowledge. Omg, your titanic reference has me crying with laughter :’)

Jessica | Portuguese Girl Cooks November 12, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Dead computers suck. Losing bookmarks usually suck even more. Glad you were able to get everything back. The muffin cookies look amazing. Awesome shots.

Izy November 15, 2012 at 8:19 pm

They totes do :( Thank yous :) )

thelittleloaf November 13, 2012 at 9:23 am

Poor you for your massive computer fail but well done for making everything better with these incredible muffin doughnut cookie cakes! Love your photos – where did you get the gorgeous board in the background?

Izy November 15, 2012 at 8:21 pm

haha thanks, yes food solves problems for me ;) I took a plank of weathered wood, sawed it into 4 pieces (yeah, that was a long, splintery 30 minutes of my life) and then staple gunned it together – probably the most macho DIY thing I’ve ever done in my life hahahah

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen November 13, 2012 at 9:52 pm

That top looks so crunchy and perfect. I want it! It’s a good thing you’re so responsible about backing up your stuff. I live on the edge. Hopefully I don’t end up regretting that…

Izy November 15, 2012 at 8:22 pm

The top is my favourite part, espesh the muffin with the star shaped crackle :’) Oooh rebellll, haha, well if it wasn’t for my dad, I probs would be too lazy to back up my files :/

brighteyedbaker November 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm

The way you work on your computer sounds like the way I work on mine. A bajillion tabs open, and then I get frustrated when my computer slows down. And my computer died too, earlier this year. NOTHING was backed up. I literally cried. Obviously I’ve learned my lesson now. :)
Anyway, these cookie-topped doughnut muffins look and sound absolutely amazing! I definitely want to try them.

Izy November 15, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Yes. Omg, tabs = my life. My parents constantly make fun of me for saying to them “just open it in a new tab…”. I usually end up with so many tabs I can no longer even see the logos of the website on the tab, so what do I do instead of just closing some tabs? Open a new window. And repeat the process. I never, ever learn. Although I do like to learn new shortcuts to opening new tabs: you can ctrl + click, or just click the wheel of your mouse (saves so much time, as that’s obvs my priority here…). Evidently, I could talk about my love of tabs for days :)
Thank you!!

Abby November 18, 2012 at 6:01 am

Hey Izy!
I love, love, LOVE this post! Your food styling/photography is seriously incredible. As for the muffins… Wow – I think I may just give them a try. They look delicious!

Izy November 30, 2012 at 10:34 pm

thanks abby :)

Erika November 30, 2012 at 10:18 pm

WHO ARE YOU?? I just found your blog super randomly off of tumblr and I am just in shock. I’ve read about five of your posts in a row and your photography is just stunning, all your recipes are so original-sounding and totally delectable (in my humble opinion) and you are so funny! And your blog design. I want it. I just…you are my new favorite blog. For sure. YOU ARE FABULOUS.

Izy November 30, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I AM A WIZARD OF FOOD! haha, not really, just a partially sassy english teenager :) Thank you so much :D I try to remember my (few) wittiest moments to write about for my blog ;) Gracias mucho, I designed and coded it myself —> (proudest computer moment of my life). Thank you again, you made my day :)

Erika November 30, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Hahaha. I was an English major! (But I could never teach!) I am super impressed that you designed/coded your whole blog!! I am actually really interested in coding because I would love to build my own blog site someday.

I look forward to reading more! :)