How to make croissants (a step-by-step guide with .gifs)

Croissants are just one of those things where you will never fully appreciate one when you eat it, until you’ve put in the hours making them yourself.

They aren’t incredibly difficult but they really are a labour of love!

Once you’ve got the method of handling the dough down, you basically just need good time-keeping and patience for successful croissant dough.

I always find it SO HARD to concentrate on long recipe instructions, so normally end up ‘ad libbing’ my way through them based on instinct; but when it comes to French baked goods (macarons, puff pastry, croissants) there is just no way you can make that shiz up.

I dunno if other people feel the same way, but I decided to make you all another .gif guide, so that if like me, you too hate to read super long recipes, at least you have some moving pictures to guide you along.

And it’s worth it, look, they are SO PRETTY 😀

That’s why I’ve made an extra post here, where you can see more photos (yeah, I literally just put a post up containing only croissant photos because I am a cray face)

Yup im going to write it again, real big incase you’re skim reading this:

Ugh, I hope you enjoy this.

p.s. Also, by some super strange coinky dink, my friend Erica has also done a croissant tutorial (her’s seems easier than my method tbh) I think we must have a psychic food connection haha :)

Recipe + Method adapted from Nancy Silverton via Gourmet, here, here and here

To make the dough:

1 cup (250 ml) cold milk (I used 2%)

1/2 cup (125 ml) boiling water

1 tbsp active dry yeast

1/4 cup (50 g) sugar

3 3/4 cup (500 g) all purpose flour

1 tsp salt

1 cup + 2tbsp (9 oz/ 250 g) butter, frozen, then left at room temp. for 20-30 minutes

1. Pour the milk and boiling water into a large bowl. Stir in the yeast and sugar, leave for 5 minutes until frothy.

2. Add in the flour and salt, incorporate it with your hands into a shaggy ball.

3. Tip the contents out onto a clean work surface and knead until you’ve incorporated all the flour (this should only take about 2 minutes). Place the dough into an oiled bowl, and leave in the fridge to rest for 1 hour.

3. When your dough has been in the fridge for 30 minutes, take your frozen butter (which has been left at room temperature for 20-30 minutes), and grate onto a piece of cling film (aka plastic wrap)

4. Disperse the butter, and flatten into a rectangle, roughly 8″ x 5″. Fold up in the cling film and pat together well (seriously, like make sure it’s nicely compacted).  Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

5. Once the butter has been chilling for 25 minutes (cos he’s a cool dude, you know), tip the chilled dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll into a 16″ x 10″ rectangle.

6. Unwrap the chilled butter block and place into the centre of the dough. Fold the dough into thirds over the butter (like a business letter). Seal all the edges by pinching the dough together.

7. Rotate the dough 90 degrees, use the roiling pin to make regular indentations in the dough.

8. Roll into a 15″ x 10″ rectangle.

9. Fold into thirds like a business letter. Wrap the dough in cling film, and refrigerate for 1 hour.  (steps 8+9 = ‘one turn’ of the dough)

one turn

10. Remove the dough from the fridge, unwrap and complete 1 turn (i.e. repeat steps 8 + 9). Re-wrap in the cling film, refrigerate for 1 hour.

11. Repeat step 10, two more times, so you have done a total of 4 turns.

12. Cut the dough into quarters. Wrap the quarters tightly in cling film and refrigerate for 8-12 hours, or freeze for up to 3 months (if you freeze it, let the dough defrost in the fridge overnight before shaping).

For a guide to shaping + baking Chocolate Croissants, click here!!

For a guide to shaping + baking Cinnamon-Raisin Danish Swirls, click here!!

Continue reading for a guide to shaping + baking plain Croissants

Shaping the dough

Remove one piece of dough from the fridge, unwrap it, and roll out on a lightly floured surface into a 16″ x 6″ rectangle.

Cut into thirds, forming 3 smaller rectangles. Cut each of these rectangles in half diagonally forming 6 triangles.

Take one triangle of dough (I recommend putting the others in the fridge while you shape each one).
Pull on the corners of the shortest edge, to even up the base of the triangle. Then gently stretch the dough a little

Cut a small slit in the base of the triangle, stretch it, then roll the dough up.

Place it, tip side down, onto a lined cookie sheet. Repeat with the rest of the triangles, placing them 2″ apart.

(at this point you can also freeze the shaped croissants on the baking sheet, then once frozen, transfer them to a plastic bag and leave in the freezer for up to 3 months, then defrost in the fridge overnight and proceed as below).

Cover loosely with cling film and leave to rise in a cool place for around 2-3 hours ( if you’re making these the night before, you can actually shape them and leave them to rise in the fridge overnight instead).

Once ready to bake, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (22o degrees C) . Brush the croissants with beaten egg using a pastry brush and put into the oven. Immediately lower the temperature to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C), and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and bake for a further 10-15 minutes until well browned and puffy.

Let cool on a wire rack. Enjoy your 2 to I-literally-don’t-know-how-long-these-took-to-make-any-more day labour of love.

1. Lisa says

I’m not much of a baker. I was looking for something special to make last Thanksgiving and found your recipe. My husband was skeptical but I proved him wrong and they turned out great. I agree … It’s a labor of love! My family came to visit for breakfast this morning and I tried to make them again. What a hit! They are perfect for special occasions. Thank you!

2. Pedro says

Superb recipe. I never tried before but your´s is simply great. I had the most pleasant afternoon here in Brazil, with my family and these croissants. Thanks.

3. Samantha says

OMG!!! GIFS!!!! Talk about an awesome idea! I wish all food blogs used gifs in their sites. Probably one of the most handy ways to learn to cook! The croissants looke amazing btw!

4. Jared says

Looks great!! 2 questions

If you were to make it with poppy seeds where would you add them?
    How many do I get out of this recipe??

5. LHaggard says

These were delish! I made the Marthia Stewart version twice and was greatly dissapointed with them. They were bitter, greesy, and flat. These on the other hand are so light and flakey and… flavorfull. I will admit i did do 50/50 heavy cream and milk (i just love useing cream whenever i can) this recipe will stay in box .

6. Dido says

Nice work Izy, going to make them this afternoon and let you know how it goes. I have tried different recipes and it will be the first time that I’ll making with milk..thanks again, the gifs are awesome!

7. Naomi says

WOW!! the GIFs make the recipe simple and fun:) i would not have known how to make these properly if i had just read instructions, great visuals! I’m now waiting to do the fourth turn. Thanks again and keep it up Izy!!!:D

8. Beejit says

Fantastic – I have lived in France for over 20 years and I cook loads, but this is the first time I’ve tried to bake croissants from scratch – and they are brilliant. Great instructions, great results!

9. Idylla says

Well to be honest, I have been trying to make pain au chocolat for ages and after ready through many websites, I found out that you can get pain au chocolat be just adding chocolate to croissants dough. Then I started learning the three day steps of making the croissants and to be honest after many videos and search and well as my failed attempt, I almost gave up but with this step-by-step .gifs, I can see its even easier than I tought.(grated butter), that is someting I will really like since I stay in a warm area and the butter starts melting before rolling it out. Thanks for this guide. I will make another attempt on this.

10. June says

This method seems so much quicker. A read a previous method that seemed to take days of preparation. I definitely will try your method!

11. David says

Wow your guide is great! I love to bake but I’ve never been brave enough to try to make croissants but your guide has motivated me to try it out thank you!! By the way Love your pictures and gifs…..

12. Maggie Mahoney says

I have made this recipe once already (I needed 6 months to recover) and they turned out beautifully! I couldn’t believe my strength. I decided to make them again because y’know…Labor Day…laborious get the point. Your recipes are so easy to follow along and I love the light touch of humor added to them! People go crazy over homemade croissants when I bring a batch anywhere. They totally look at me like I have three heads when I’m explaining the process. Lol!
    Thanks for a recipe I’ll use forevaaaa!

13. Kaeley says

I tried to make these and it turned out exactly like the pictures until I baked it
    It was not brown and flakey like it shows, it was more white and doughy but the bottom burnt a little. Any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong? Maybe not enough egg wash? Other wise they tasted pretty good :)

14. Megan O'Looney says

Hi, I was just wondering about freezing the made croissants. You mention freezing them on a baking sheet and then transferring them into plastic bags and leaving in the freezer. When freezing first on the baking sheet do you cover with any thing, such a cling film, or just freeze uncovered?

Cant wait to try this recipe it looks fab!

15. Ca says

Thank you,thank you,thank you for the recipe. I just bake them in the morning and they were awsome. It was really easy to follow even for a beginner. :)

16. Amanda Titi says

Help! I let these sit overnight in the fridge. It doesn’t appear that they have grown at all. Should I let them sit out at room tempature for a while? Or let them proof longer. They were growing nicely up until this point so I’m not sure what the problem is now. :-(

17. psydelle says

Hi, first of all, thank you sooooo much for the gifs! I’ve been looking at croissant recipes for a while now and I’ve been hesitating to try them but your gifs made me attempt it. I am currently on my third turn and while rolling out the dough, I noticed that the butter has begun poking out through the dough. Is that normal? Did I do something wrong? How should I proceed? Any input will be appreciated!
    Thanks again for this wonderful post! :)

Glad you’re enjoying the recipe! If the butter is poking through the dough that means that it has become too soft – you should pop the whole thing back into the fridge for about an hour so the butter can harden up again. The aim is to have the butter at the same malleability as the dough as if it’s too soft it will poke through/ too hard and it will break in between the layers.

• psydelle says

So I did everything as you said. My croissants didn’t seem to rise in the fridge over night. I left it outside for a couple hours but my croissants haven’t risen as much as I thought they would. I’m going to try to bake a few anyway, maybe that’ll gimme some insight.
        Thanks gain for your post. I will definitely be making these again. Practice makes perfect, right?

18. mackenzie says

Each of these steps are great, except I would wrap the dough in oiled saran wrap for half of an hour between each ‘turn’ or ‘lock-in’ with the butter!

19. hilton says

Hey Izy,

Didn’t think I could make croissants of all things…gave it a go and they turned out great. Thank you!
    Western Australia

20. Kelly-Ann says

This is the best croissant recipe I have found by far. I am on to making my third batch today because I can’t keep up with the demand of my friends and family. I wish I could post a picture, I was so proud of my first batch. I had some ask where I bought them from and others asking if I bought the dough and just rolled them myself. I love to cook and am always trying different things. This batch, half will be plain and some I will roll cheese and ham into the triangles. First batch was made last weekend, so much fun. Time consuming yes, but definitely a labour of love when you get the perfect end result. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

21. Ines says

Lately I have been trying to be adventurous in the kitchen and decided to try this recipe. The croissants were so yummy! Thank you so much for sharing so many details, I don’t think I would’ve gotten it right without the GIFS and notes!

22. Phelicia says

Hi I have a question, for the all purpose flour you use do you use the strong all purpose flour

23. Phelicia says

Hi Mackenzie

Not sure if my previous post manage to get through but I wanted to find out if you used the normal all purpose flour or the strong all purpose flour for this recipe

24. Michael says

Been making these every month for the past 10 months, tweaked the recipe up to make a batch of 18 large size Croissants by increasing everything by 50%. Two extra tips I used a ratio of 85% Plain Flour and 15% Strong white Bread flour which gives a lovely texture and the best one after discussing with a French restauranteur from Normandy I now use 50% Salted and 50% unsalted butter the flavour is amazing.

Gave him some to try and he couldn’t believe they hadn’t come from a proper Bakery!!

Thanks for inspiring Izy

1. […] Croissants (pictured above) / Top with CinnamonI shared my croissants adventure with you here, and I can only recommend this recipe if you ever want to challenge yourself and try to make croissants and/or chocolatines at home. It’s long. It’s tough. But you’ll be glad when they come out of the oven and your whole house smells like a boulangerie. […]