The Best Crispy Oven Fries (with Sriracha, Garlic and Thyme)

December 3, 2012 · 23 comments in Savoury,Snacks

“Qu’est-ce que c’est Izy?

A savoury recipe?

but.. but… where’s the caramel, chocolate, coconut and the coffee?”

Today, my friendies, I’m bringing you a savoury recipe. Yup, real food (ish).

One of my best friends recently said to me “How are you not incredibly fat? When I imagine you, I just picture you sitting at home eating cake”.

Whilst being mildly offended, I realised that most people reading my blog, even semi-frequently, might think all I do is eat cake all day long too. However, this really isn’t the case; I pretty much only make/eat baked goods on the weekend, then give most of the leftovers away at school.

My parents are awesome cooks and we eat home cooked meals basically 95% of the time – so, I can actually cook! Like real, proper food without copious amounts of sugar or cinnamon in them. Granted,  I can’t cook as well as I bake, and I certainly would not be able to handle such tasks as roasting joints of meat properly (unless you count making pulled pork…omg, I love that stuff).

One thing is consistent though: my favourite foods (savoury and sweet) are (mostly) baked ones. Once a baker, always a baker.

I could LIVE on oven roasted tomatoes, potatoes, zucchini, cauliflower and butternut squash.

Instead of going full force into throwing savoury recipes at you here and there, I thought I would ease into the process, and start off with a pretty awesome baked recipe.

I wanted something savoury, completely delicious without argument and something that would be easy to photograph (I find the idea of styling and photographing savoury foods quite daunting!) Anywho..

Behold the crispiest oven fries in the land, and they’re not ultra greasy!

In fact, they’re so un-greasy, I can re-use that white piece of papery stuff I wrapped around them for the photos.
In the end, I had an awesome time styling these shots – I adore being able to use savoury ingredients in the shots: espesh the fresh thyme and pink Himalayan salt!

And look at my new olive wood bowl, he’s so cute! Gahhh, it was love at first sight hah.

Don’t worry, I’ll still be posting many a sweet recipe as per ushe, along with a few savoury things I think are worth blogging about .

Oh and I still have .gifs. Yeah… they’re never going, they’re too much fun ;)

These oven fries are crispy on the outside, fluffy inside, spicy, garlic-y and just all around magnificent, without all the hassle and mess of frying! How could you even go wrong with potatoes, sriracha and garlic?

Yay for food!

P.S This post is dedicated to Bea (I hope you don’t still think I eat cake all day) and Katherine (thanks for all your lovely words of encouragement!)

- you can just chuck the potato wedges into a large plastic bag with the cornstarch and shake to coat them instead of tossing them in a bowl.

- the fries like to stick to the paper, so you may have to use the back of a metal spatula to scrape under them to un-stick them the first time you flip them.

-you don’t have to add thyme, garlic or sriracha to the recipe if you don’t want to :)

- these don’t really reheat very well, so serve them as soon as they’re ready but…

- once coated in the cornstarch, you can cover the bowl of wedges with cling film or foil, and leave them in the fridge overnight until you’re ready to make them the next day (although some may discolour a bit).

recipe adapted from my crunchy sweet potato ‘french toast’ fries

The Best Crispy Oven Fries (with Sriracha, Garlic and Thyme)
4 or 5 medium potatoes
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 egg white
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
1 tsp sriracha (or more/less depending on preference)
1-2 tsp thyme leaves (fresh or dried)
2-3 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper for seasoning

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C), line a large, rimmed baking tray with parchment paper, and lightly grease with some of the olive oil.

Wash the potatoes to remove any dirt (leave as much skin on them as poss.). Halve the potatoes lengthways and place into a medium pot of cold water, add the salt and bring to a boil. Cook for 6-8 minutes to parboil the potatoes.

Drain the potatoes and leave in the colander for 5 minutes so they can dry off.

Slice each potato-half lengthways into 4 wedges. Place into a large bowl, sprinkle over the cornstarch and toss with your hands to coat (see notes).

Put the egg white into a large, shallow bowl or dish. Using a whisk, beat the egg white with 1 tbsp of water, until it becomes slightly frothy.

Stir in the minced garlic and sriracha. Add the cornstarch-coated potato wedges and toss with your hands to coat.

Lift the wedges out of the bowl/dish, and spread in a single layer onto the baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil,  sprinkle with the thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 35-45 minutes, flipping them occasionally (see notes), until golden brown and crispy.

Erika December 4, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Fantastic post! I also have friends who are like, “how are you not huge?” and though I do worry about the prospect, I do end up giving most of my baked goods away and I really don’t think I eat THAT many more baked goods than the average person! But I am excited to read more of your savory posts–I like that you say these fries aren’t super greasy (I hate that). This post is so beautifully styled and the light is just gorgeous!

Izy December 6, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Thanks! haha, that is exactly the same for me – but then again, I always end up thinking “what is an ‘average amount of baked goods’ to consume ?” :/

Erika December 6, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Lol that is a good question! If I ever find out…..I’ll be sure to let you know :)

carey December 4, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I’ve been having CRAZY potato cravings lately (thanks, winter), especially for big delicious hunks of roasted potatoes! And with sriracha and garlic and thyme? YES. these. happen. ASAP.

I love the dark colors and the light in these shots. The fries stand out so well — like a delicious beacon. (Can you tell I’m starving? I need to go find some potatoes.)

Izy December 6, 2012 at 1:12 pm

ahahahahaha, I have that too – plus a ridiculous need for hot chocolate 24/7. Thank you! Beacon < —- YES; I was thinking the exact same thing when I was editing the photos ;)

Julie @ Table for Two December 5, 2012 at 2:18 am

gorgeous photos! you have me craving fries now – i’m in love with thick cut fries such as yours. the flavors these fries must be SO delicious together. what a great creation :)

Izy December 6, 2012 at 1:13 pm

thank you! :D sriracha makes everything better :)

brighteyedbaker December 6, 2012 at 4:24 pm

So I just read the comment from Erika and your response, and I feel the SAME way. As in, yeah I bake a ton, and yeah I do eat some of what I bake, but I feel like at the same time I eat pretty healthy in a way too, and really how much do people normally eat in the realm of baked goods? Because I don’t really know…
Anyway, these fries looks incredible! They’re definitely my kind of fries – thick and flavorful and not super greasy! And I know for sure I will be trying these… hopefully really soon. :) I think that’s really neat that you’re going to be putting in some savory recipes here and there. I’m the same as you and have always been kinda nervous about the styling for non-baked goods. You did an amazing job, though!

Izy December 6, 2012 at 11:12 pm

haha, I don’t think we’ll ever find out! We’re all too busy being super awesome food bloggers to be ‘normal’ ;)
Yeah, baked goods are a safe bet to style – they look delicious like 99% of the time. Thank you! :D

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen December 7, 2012 at 5:34 am

I really like what you did with these shots! All the cute little details just make it.

Now I want fries and I never want fries.

Izy December 9, 2012 at 8:16 pm

thanks :) haha, I always end up being incredibly hungry after reading food blogs!

Katherine December 8, 2012 at 3:24 am

Izy, you’re are too sweet and kind!! Thank you for the dedication! I’m very touched and feel very honored. I know I sound like a broken record, but you are AMAZING. Your blog and videos have sparked an enthusiasm in me that I haven’t felt for a long time. I think I’ve become a little too blase about the professional food industry, but your attention to detail, your passion, your creativity has turned that around for me. You should see me go on and on about your blog and videos to all of my friends. I want everyone to read your blog, so whatever I can do to support your endeavors, I’m happy to as one of your most ardent fans. Thank you again, dear sweet Izy.

Izy December 9, 2012 at 8:13 pm

thank you Katherine! Your constant encouragement makes me so so happy, and keeps me going! I’m so glad to have such a wonderful, kind fan ;)

Jessica | Portuguese Girl Cooks December 13, 2012 at 3:52 am

Izy, those shots are absolutely gorgeous. Love, love, love them. Olive wood is so beautiful isn’t it? These fries look amazing, and I definitely love the addition of Sriracha!

Izy December 13, 2012 at 11:14 am

Thank you Jessica!! Ahh, I love olive wood, I wanted to buy the olive wood spoon that was displayed with the bowl, but it was too expensive to buy both :’( Sad times.

Bella December 14, 2012 at 2:11 am

Just found your blog and wanted to say these fries are delicious! I made them for dinner tonight and I’m bookmarking the recipe so I can make them again and again!

Sarah | Shine Food January 8, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Before I saw all your stunning photos, and even before I saw the addendum of sriracha, garlic, and thyme, I was sold. Add those photos (and the gifs!) and sriracha and I’m totally sold. These look like a dream come true.

We’d love if you contributed this recipe to this month’s Shine Supper Club–January is all about delicious healthy recipes, and this would be perfect.

margaret at The Right Recipe January 16, 2013 at 1:01 am

Beautiful photographs and a recipe that I will be obsessed with until I have time to try it. Thanks!

Alex February 8, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Wow your photography is gorgeous, I’ve only just come across your blog and its definitely a new fave, you’re so talented!
This recipe looks amazing, I’ve never heard of mixing the potatoes in egg white before so I’m intrigued to try it out.

heather March 9, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I’m trying to avoid corn.
Is there a good substitute for the cornstarch?

Izy March 9, 2013 at 10:50 pm

You can just leave it out, it should be fine :)

Tracy March 17, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I have to ask…..do these taste eggy? I know, bizarre question….but I could seriously be tortured with a fried egg white and I’m afraid these fries will have egg white contamination Ü on them. Doesn’t look like it from your photos, but I have ask. Thanks so much!

Izy March 20, 2013 at 7:47 am

Nope, don’t worry! They don’t taste eggy at all :)