Whole Wheat Pesto, Tomato and Mozzarella Rolls

December 24, 2012 · 21 comments in Bread and Yeast Doughs,Savoury,Snacks

Whole Wheat Pesto, Tomato and Mozzarella Rolls via @topwithcinnamon

It’s almost Christmaaaas! I’ve been crafting and wrapping away for a few days now, trying to ignore the fact that as soon as Christmas is over, Ima have to spend hours writing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Statistics notes.

and then revise from them.

Ugh. School, why you make me do so many exams every year!?

Whole Wheat Pesto, Tomato and Mozzarella Rolls via @topwithcinnamon

In a holidayish mood, I had a mini gingerbread making party with mah friendies -

Why mini gingerbread houses you ask?

Well first look at this mess that was made only from decorating the houses, and then also tell me how to co-ordinate 11 people cutting gingerbread into specific shapes on a counter large enough for 4 people.

Yeah, that’s stress right there.

Whole Wheat Pesto, Tomato and Mozzarella Rolls via @topwithcinnamon

But when you give them all pasta bake, and some bread rolls it calms them down  (until they start eating cake and re-discover the edible-silver-glitter spray that is).

Whole Wheat Pesto, Tomato and Mozzarella Rolls via @topwithcinnamon

That glitter sticks to everything,

My camera has become bedazzled – I’m SO GLAD I had put the lens cap back on :/ but now whenever I pick it up, I get re-infected by the glitter :( and then glitter ends up on my face…

At least it makes me feel even more festive while watching ALL of the Christmas episodes of Friends :’)  (Friends is literally my favourite show. If you EVER want to impress me, slip a Friends quote into a conversation with me; we’ll be instant besties)

Whole Wheat Pesto, Tomato and Mozzarella Rolls via @topwithcinnamon

Have an awesome holiday / rest of 2012,

Enjoy the .gif  ;)

tearintotherollomgcheese

Whole Wheat Pesto, Tomato and Mozzarella Rolls via @topwithcinnamon

- these are only 115 kcal each. Yeah, that’s using full fat mozzarella and all of that delicious pesto. You can still eat muchos of these babies!:

1/24 recipe = 115kcal, 4.8g fat (1.2g sat.), 16.3g carbs (3g fiber, 1.5g sugars), 4.1g protein

- The whole recipe halves or doubles really easily

- I used whole wheat bread flour for the dough, you can substitute this for regular bread flour, or all purpose flour. You may need all the flour, only 3 cups or somewhere inbetween – you only need enough for a smooth, soft dough.

- You can leave out the passata if you want, pesto rolls are just as awesome (although if you do, I’d recommend sprinkling on 1/2 cup of chopped black olives )

- To make the perfect place for dough to rise:

-While I make the bread dough, I put a ramekin 2/3 filled with water into the oven

-Then I preheat the oven to 120 degrees F (50 degrees C) (which is the lowest temp I can get).

-Once the dough is made, I turn off the oven, put the dough inside and leave it to rise.

- If you cba to cut the dough into separate rolls, then just cut the rolled up dough in half, pinch the ends shut and bake on a cookie sheet for 30-40 minutes (a.k.a. make a stromboli)

Whole Wheat Pesto, Tomato and Mozzarella Rolls

Serving Size: 20-24 rolls

Whole Wheat Pesto, Tomato and Mozzarella Rolls

For the Bread Dough:
2 1/2 tsp (a 1/4 oz packet) active dried yeast
1 cup + 2 tbsp (280 ml) water
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp oil
3 to 4 cups (400 to 530 g) whole wheat flour (see notes)
1 tsp salt
For the Filling:
1/2 cup (125 ml) pesto
1/2 cup (125 ml) passata
a 4 oz (110 g) ball of mozzarella, finely chopped

Combine the warm water, yeast and sugar in a large bowl. Stir in the oil, then half the flour. Mix in the rest of the flour, reserving 1/2 cup.

Sprinkle the 1/2 cup of flour onto a clean work surface. Tip the contents of the bowl out onto the floured work surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until it's smooth and you've kneaded in all the flour.

Lightly grease the bowl with some oil, put the dough into the bowl, cover with a clean dish towel. Leave in a warm place (see notes) to rise until doubled in size (around 1 hour).

Once risen, lightly sprinkle a work surface with some flour (you can use all purpose flour for this). Tip the dough out and roll it into a 28" by 12" rectangle (it'll be thin!).

ROLLOUTgif

Spread with the passata, then the pesto, then scatter over the chopped mozzarella.

TOMATIZZLE_PEST-OH_MO-RELZ

Starting at the long edge, tightly roll the dough up into a sausage shape.

IAPOLOGISEFORMYCRABHANDS

Use a piece of thread / unflavoured dental floss, or a sharp knife to cut the dough into 2″ thick pieces. Place into a greased baking dish, or onto a lined cookie tray, 1/2″ apart (alternatively, grease a regular sized muffin tin and bake the rolls individually in that).

CUT

Cover with a clean dish towel and leave to rise again for 15-20 minutes while you preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Bake for 25-35 minutes until well risen and browned.

Seraphina December 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm

New reader here! I absolutely love your recipes and I can’t wait for more. Your pictures and gifs are delightful too! :)

Izy December 25, 2012 at 1:19 am

glad you’re here :) thank you!

Erica December 25, 2012 at 1:04 am

These look absolutely delicious! I feel your pain about studying during break. I have spent the past few hours since I’ve gotten home whipping up homemade croissants (super labor intensive!), and peppermint hot cocoa. I really should be working on my history outline, but food blogging is much more enticing! I am currently working on making a croissant tutorial, and I want to use gifs. I was feeling pretty good about how they looked… Until I saw how utterly ah-mazing yours are. lakjdlf;kadsjlkajl;ksdjfas f back to the drawing board.

Izy December 25, 2012 at 1:18 am

Thanks! haha, totally the same, I’ve just been cooking / baking pretty much for 5 hours!
Omg that’s so weird, I’ve been doing a danish pastry dough tutorial with .gifs! great minds think alike ;)
The key is having someone else to take the photos for you hahaha :D have an awesome Christmas Erica! xx

Erica December 25, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Haha merry Christmas to you too! I will have to convince my mom to take my pictures for me. That would help make better gifs AND avoid all of the flour and sugar that is now embedded in my camera!

Katherine December 26, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Clever, clever idea!!

Izy December 31, 2012 at 3:12 pm

thanks Katherine :)

Maral December 27, 2012 at 7:41 am

Wow, those rolls look so soft and cheesy and delicious! I found out about your blog through Erica of Cannella Vita and have been a big fan ever since. Your photos are beautiful and I especially LOVE watching your step-by-step videos/gifs. I hope you have a chance to stop by my site!

P.S. I am also a teen blogger :)

Izy December 31, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Thanks! It’s so nice to hear from other teen bloggers :) They’re a rare fnd ;)
Will do!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist December 27, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Oh my gosh these look amazing!

Izy December 31, 2012 at 3:11 pm

thank you!

carey December 28, 2012 at 1:03 am

Everything about these rolls sounds amazing. It just doesn’t get much better than bread + herbs + tomato + cheese. (I love that thread/floss trick for cutting the dough—it works so much better than smushing it with a knife!)

I learned pretty quickly that a lens filter is my best friend, as it seems to be the one thing standing between me and the destruction of my lens. When I first started the blog, I borrowed a friend’s Nikon D100 to learn on. When I gave it back to her a few months later, I spent an entire day trying to clean all traces of flour out of the nooks and crannies. It’s amazing what will stick to those things!

Izy December 31, 2012 at 3:11 pm

haha pretty much the ultimate combo :) It totally is the best way, but I always fail at trying to explain how the heck to do the thread cutting thing, so I’ve given up on words and used a .gif instead.

That is not a bad idea at all! Yeah, you really don’t realise how many crevices there are for things to stick to on cameras until you’ve tried food photography. My camera is still glittery – and it’s been like 2 weeks hah!

Ala December 28, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Pivot! PIVOTTTT!

Izy December 29, 2012 at 12:21 am

This made my day.

Oh Ross :’)
He literally can’t direct people successfully in moving things:
Lift and sliiiide, LIFT and SLIDE.

Xue-En December 30, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I couldn’t knead in the last half cup of dough (managed probably one-third of that?) and I wasn’t quite so able to roll out the dough so flat as you did! I just put them in the over with the pesto, passata and cheese. Hoping they’ll turn out fine!

Izy December 30, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Should be fine! the amount of flour you need for bread dough normally varies a bit because of different brands / types I think :)

Bluebell February 11, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Thank you for your beautiful photos and recipe, I can’t wait to make these, they look so yummy!

Sunnie@Moderngirlnutrition September 5, 2013 at 12:48 am

OMG YES!!! :) :)

Vicki September 13, 2013 at 9:08 am

This looks absolutely delicious and savory. I live in the US though. Can I used tomato paste as a substitute for the passata?

Izy September 13, 2013 at 2:01 pm

passata is basically just uncooked tomato sauce so either blend up a can or two of chopped tomatoes, or just use a cooked tomato sauce.