Peanut Butter Cup S’moreo Bars

Today, I’m mixing things up a little.

We’re going to start with a .gif,

FORK

If that isn’t enough to make you start weeping

Peanut Butter Cup S'moreo Bars

..yeah.

I think when it’s exam time, my body goes into full on crazy-food drive. Last year it was the cinnamon roll pull-apart bread.

This year.

These.

Peanut Butter Cup S'moreo Bars

A complete 180 from those classy, intricate croissants.

Peanut Butter Cup S'moreo Bars

Peanut Butter Cup S’moreo Bars (I think that’s about 4 separate dessert entities combined)

Peanut Butter Cup S'moreo Bars

What is a s’moreo? Well it’s just a s’more made with oreos instead of graham crackers.

But then I transformed into a cookie bar, and layered with peanut butter and chopped peanut butter cups too.

Yesssssssss.

When I made these, I think that I just needed some soul food – and I’m pretty sure that these bars are what it would look like if I had a soul,

I’m joking.

Peanut Butter Cup S'moreo Bars

Obviously it would be cinnamon-sugar toast.

(p.s I’m kidding about the no-soul thing…)

Peanut Butter Cup S'moreo Bars

My friend and I ended up spending a good amount of time talking in Napoleon Dynamite quotes this week, (and yes, yes we’re learning his dance) in case you were wondering about that youtube clip above……. (this video made me cry, several times; If you have no idea what I’m talking about because you haven’t seen Napoleon Dynamite yet, GO DO IT NOW – well, after you’ve made these bars actually)

Peanut Butter Cup S'moreo Bars -ingredients

5 layers of pure enjoyment: crushed oreo base, peanut butter, milk chocolate, toasted marshmallows, chopped peanut butter cups. ( I totally tried writing the text on with chalk, and it TOTALLY failed.)

Minimal skill, time and ingredients required = maximal enjoyment.

Fair warning though – you might want to tell people that the bars contain oreos….that dark base can be extremely misleading (i.e. I think everyone thinks they’re majorly burnt when they see them)

TEAR

You can totally see my glasses in the corner of that .gif… (and my glittery nail varnish 😀 )

p.p.s I got the most views in a month I’ve ever had last month, thanks for spreading the croissant tutorial around, I LOVE YOU ALL.

Peanut Butter Cup S'moreo Bars

(I think that was the least cohesive piece of text I’ve ever written, my brains are scrambled from the bio, chem, maths and stats revish at the mo, I apologize)

– To crush the oreos either:

– blend in a food processor or blender, until you get a ‘sandy’ texture

– Place in a zip-lock / freezer bag and bash/roll over with a rolling pin (or  your fists of hungry-rage!)  until most of it is quite ‘sandy’ in texture.

– If you cba to put the pb cups on top (I only did it for the visuals), just scatter them on at the same as the chocolate chips

– You can, of course, use more / less peanut butter, chocolate, marshmallows or peanut butter cups.

– You can sub the chopped peanut butter cups for chopped snickers bars or those super awesome mini pb cups

– To make these vegan friendly use: coconut oil instead of butter, dairy free milk (like soy/almond), vegan marshmallows, vegan chocolate chips and omit pb cups (or use vegan, if you can find/make them)

Peanut Butter Cup S’moreo Bars
For the oreo base:
24 oreos, crushed
2 tbsp butter / coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp milk (any kind)
For the toppings:
1/2 cup (8 tbsp) peanut butter, warmed
1/2 cup (90g) milk / semisweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
24 large marshmallows, halved (or ~2 cups mini marshmallows)
6 peanut butter cups, chopped (see notes)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8" square pan with foil or baking paper. Spray with oil (or use a pastry brush to brush the oil on). Set aside.

To make the base: Combine the crushed (see notes) oreos with the melted butter and milk.

Scatter the mixture evenly into the lined pan and press down. Bake for 6 minutes.

Once baked, immediately spread the warmed peanut butter over the oreo base. Evenly scatter the chocolate chips over the peanut butter. Completely cover with the halved marshmallows (or mini marshmallows), placing them cut side down.

Place under a broiler for under 1 minute to toast the marshmallows (watch them closely!) - mine took around 30 seconds.

Immediately scatter the chopped peanut butter cups over the marshmallow layer.

Cut into 12 or 16 bars (ummm...I'd go with 16, these are like a sugar bomb).Serve warm

Comments

These are absolutely amazing!! They are like my 3 fave desserts in one! What a great idea, I am definitely going to be recreating these! p.s I love your gif…and your styling, awesome pics!

OH MY GOD! Those American goodies I sent you were definitely put to good use! I am in the middle of exams now, but I also have a box of oreos in the pantry calling my name. I think these should be coming out of the oven soon 😉

HOLY. COW.
    These are awesome. I’m IN LOVE with that first .gif, and with the whole burnt marshmallow topping in general. And honestly, I’m not usually about the whole “stuff a bunch of cookies and candies into a dessert”, but this, I’m all ab0ut. I love your posts, they’re always so much fun to read!
    Good luck with exams, if they aren’t over yet. UGH!

hank you, thank you, thank youuu! Ahh I am too, that’s why I put it riiighht at the top of the post :))
      I am becoming waaaay too into toasted marshmallows :/

SWEET JEEZUM….the levels of crazy awesomeness going on here! These look….I don’t know what phrase would suffice. Stupid good. Stupid amazeballs good. The gooey-ness and the toasty marshmallow and the brownie bottom. I see them. I can almost taste them. I’m going to go eat ice cream straight from the container now, because that’s all my parents have in the house. (:

I think that you summarized them perfectly :’) Stupid amazeballs good is how I will now describe them haha.
      Eating ice cream from the container > eating ice cream from a bowl, and everyone knows it :)

Let’s talk exam drive….I have an entire jar of homemade cookie butter peanut butter sitting on my shelf, plus granola made from said CBPB, plus homemade kale chips and tzatziki and carrot PB puree and goodness knows what else. And no posts because I seriously keep eating the stuff *as I’m on my way to get my camera.* As if my stomach couldn’t wait for another 5 minutes…and it can’t. Geebus, I need these bars! We’re all for camaraderie and care packages, right? 😀

Holy moly, that sounds amazing – Cookie butter peanut butter granola!? – I want.
      HAHA, YES. I always have to hit my own hand away from the food to stop me from eating it all before photographing it! Of course, of course, though these would die a painful, crushing death in a package me thinks :/

Oh my lord.
    I have just found your blog.
    And just fell head over heels in love with it.

You are well and truly bookmarked for a back-post trawl this weekend. I might just faint with all this baking inspiration! YUM

Izy, I am in love with these bars! S’mores are my weakness and your gorgeous photos are making me drool this morning. I want one for breakfast. Thank you so much for sharing. I pinned these and it’s been quite popular so far this morning already.

Izy- I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to discover your wonderful blog! You are seriously, crazy talented and make me feel like a huge under-achiever 😉

These bars and everything on your blog are just gorgeous- I can’t wait see what you have in store next! xo

I love your blog!! Your recipes look fabulous, your photography is spectacular, and the design is flawless!!! I also am impressed by the fact that you’re only 16! I thought I was a young blogger at 20! Keep up the amazing work!

10. Courtney says

Do you think I could do everything except the broiling in advance so that I could make these for a party and just stick them in the oven when I want to serve them?

11. Jennifer says

Usually I just pin and forget, but this one stuck with me and today was the day I made this. Easy to make, quick clean up, and SO DAMN GOOD! So so wrong, but so so right. Thanks!

12. Christina says

Found this recipe via Flipboard and made them that day for a girls get together. They were quickly nicknamed “crack” and were a total hit. Adding this to my arsenal of awesome desserts.

13. MrG says

I don’t understand why there has to be a million pictures of the finished product and no pictures of the process of making them… :/

14. Annie says

I just made these for a staff of over 100 people at work, and I was the conquering hero. I’m so happy I found your blog! :-)

Trackbacks