15 minute Thin Mints (3 ingredients, no bake, vegan)

DIY Thin Mints // 15 minutes, 3 ingredients, no bake, vegan

Pressure.

It’s something, I could probably avoid 90% of the time by not procrastinating the time away.

I know I could avoid it, I know that future-Izy will hate past-Izy for not doing the work, yet I still find that sometimes, that ‘last minute pressure blast’ is the only way I can make myself work efficiently.

But then there’s also that pressure that has no pin-pointable deadline when you know it’ll be over – can I call mine the mid-sixth-form-crisis?

Suddenly, it’s all about the future, what the heck you’re doing with your life now, for reals – your A2 choices, extended essay title, positions of responsibility for next year, university courses.

A career.

DIY Thin Mints // 15 minutes, 3 ingredients, no bake, vegan

dijkfhgsdlf

I just felt like I needed to pause time last week after thinking about that plus chemistry coursework plus biology coursework plus my deadline for my art coursework.

aaaaand that’s why I’ve been a little absent recently!

It’s not like I wasn’t baking – oh ho ho, believe me, baking is a major form of procrastination in my life – I just didn’t have the energy to sit in front of Lightroom adjusting exposure and contrast levels for 100 photos, which led to this post not being finished :'(

But I don’t return empty handed! During my procrastination timez, I’ve accumulated a few link-loves – or Monday ‘me gusta’ s if you will 😉

Thin Mints

So anywho, I also made these quick thin mints as a way to snazz up some oreos. I’d seen those DIY thin mints made with crackers before, but I had always thought that using oreos would probably be 1000% better. It was.

And I also made a slightly different variation (I’ll probably post it sometime this week) with white chocolate, that you can see in that last photo!

I love these because they’re simple, quick, tasty and look pretty elegant too!

-For optimum twist-abilitiy of the oreos, make sure they’re at room temperature (it’s really difficult to separate them without breaking them when they’re cold!)

-If you want to temper the chocolate in a food processor, I have a tutorial here

-You don’t have to scrape the filling out of the oreo if you cba; if you leave it on one half, it’ll just taste sweeter and less chocolatey, but it saves time.

-You can decorate the chocolate dipped oreos before the chocolate sets with sprinkles, Maldon salt, chopped nuts or a drizzle of white chocolate for some contrast!

-If you’re making these vegan, make sure your chocolate is vegan friendly :)

– you can use Newman O’s instead of Oreos

15 minute Thin Mints (3 ingredients, no bake, vegan)
16 to 20 oreo cookies
7 to 10 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
1 tsp mint extract

Twist the oreos to separate them (see notes), and scrape off the cream filling (either discard the filling...or eat it, if you're into that.)

Melt (and temper, if you can be bothered - see notes) the chocolate, then stir in the mint extract well.

Dip an oreo half in the melted chocolate, turn to coat using a fork.

Use the fork to remove the oreo from the chocolate, tap it on the edge of the bowl a few times (to let excess chocolate drip off) and transfer to a lined cookie sheet.

Leave at room temperature until set.

Comments

1. M says

I’m excited to try these! But I think one should add butter or shortening to the chocolate to make it more liquid and easier to dip, no? I’ve melted just chips before and the chocolate is very thick, and hardens quickly.

Most recipes I’ve seen that require chocolate dipping, also require adding an ingredient to the chocolate such as mentioned above.

Thanks!
    M

if you use good quality 70% chocolate, it’s thin enough for dipping. If you use crappy quality semisweet chocolate it isn’t good for dipping

2. Patty Rucker says

Always amazes me how some people love to be the big “know it all “expert when posting comments. This recipe looks fab using Oreos and I can’t wait to make them. Thank you for the recipe!

3. Kaci says

I was wondering if any of you had experience refrigerating or freezing these? I want to make up a big batch but the gas heat in my house can be brutal; how long would they keep?
    Btw I love the simplicity of this recipe. Great idea- I found this via Pinterest and don’t do the blog thing often- is all this negativity normal?!!!

Hi there,

I really love the tin looking cups that you used for the food, any idea where I might find some? If not, do you know what they may be called so that I may look them up? I’ve been looking for some like this for quite some time and I think I’ve Googled just about every way of saying tin cup you can imagine!

Could you use those chocolate wafers instead? They are not as thick as Oreos, but at least you wouldn’t have the fuss/waste of the cream.

6. lindyP says

Please note re Oreos (in US)

in short, a response, directly from makers of Oreos:
    ” Kraft has several sugar suppliers. Some of our suppliers DO use the animal-derived natural charcoal (also known as « bone char ») in their cane sugar refining process and some suppliers DO NOT use this process.

Since we may use any of the sugar suppliers at any given time in production, we cannot give a definite answer as to whether or not bone char was used in the sugar refining process of a particular product.”

7. maria teixeira says

Ótimo agora Ă© que vai ser!
    VĂŁo desaparecer os oreos todos
    Bjs e mais receitas destas
    Obrigada!

Wow…I was so impressed, Made these today and can hardly wait to serve them at my restaurant or next catering job. Thank you..Thank you..Thank you

9. Nance says

ohmygoodness–LOVE this!! Thanks for sharing this super simple yet incredibly perfect thin mints alternative. Love love love your photography, and you hooked me with the phrase “last minute pressure blast.” Yep–that’s me too.

Your thin mint recipe is great! I added the mint extract before I melted the chocolate and used almond bark and they turned out perfect.You don’t need to temper the chocolate if you put the almond bark and mint extract together and then melt Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

Trackbacks