3-ingredient Beer Bread Sticks (or Pizza Dough! OMFG) (No-Knead, No-Rise)

February 19, 2013 · 40 comments in Bread and Yeast Doughs

Beer Breadsticks-title1

Wow, okay, so birthday week is over and done with! (it was my mum’s birthday a few days after mine, and then I had my birthday party on Sunday) – thank you everyone who left me such sweet, awesome comments on my birthday post, I was smiling a heck tonne whilst reading them all!!

and now it’s half-term! Yessssssssss.

It’s weird, because usually, I have nothing to do during this half term – everyone normally leaves for France to go skiing and whatnot, but this year is cray, I’m busy ALL week.

I’m not used to this.

But I’ve got some awesome things planned (for me, and for you, keep an eye on my instagram on Wednesday and Thursday…)

Beer Breadsticks - Ripgif

side note: guys, I don’t know what was happening, but between like December and now, I didn’t wear nail varnish. I can’t understand how it happened, but don’t worry, I painted them again yesterday and I’ve made up for it with extra sparkles.

Anyway, lets get back to the issue of parties. Yes?

How can you deal?

Attending – fine, great, awesome.

Hosting – well…

3-ingredient Beer Bread Sticks (no knead, no rise)

I always end up having an awesome time, my friends are there, and I love my friends to bits. We make Harlem shake videos and eat waaaay to many lime doritos, but I feel like whenever I’m the hostess, half the time I CAN’T RELAX.

Over the years, I’ve learned to deal with the fact that I have to guard the 50s Hans Wegner chairs with my life (my dad’s an architect, so any rooms that don’t involve my bedroom or study, I basically have to protect like a polar bear protecting her babies because  – and I mean this in the nicest way possible – teenagers don’t understand the implications of scratched wood, marked walls or chocolate on sofas, when you’re living in a house designed by your mum and dad)

“Feet down. Stop rocking on the chair. Please don’t lean on her chair. No… you can’t sit on the counter” (as you can tell, I’m actually an old lady at heart)

I know that I have to make sure food doesn’t get mushed into cushions, or make people realise that a kitchen isn’t a convenient place to gather whilst I’m preparing cocktails.

3-ingredient Beer Bread Sticks (no knead, no rise)

But when they decide to start playing ’1D’  - let me re-iterate that, ‘One Direction’ *shudder*,

I have to play the sass card, and that is a card that can’t be dealt too many-a-time,

Do you have hosting tips? Please help meeeeee! I need the tips.

3-ingredient Beer Bread Sticks (no knead, no rise)

Right, so beer bread sticks…totally related to that.

Yeah, no,

but they are awesome! and delicious, and perfect for parties! You just stir up the dough, pour it straight onto a greased tray and bake it (if you like British accents, I’d advise un-muting the vine videos. That’s what I sound like, but normally, a little less weird/excited).

There’s none of the kneading (don’t get me wrong, I love kneading dough, but when you’re pressed for time, it’s not very relaxing) or waiting hours for proving and rising. Plus this bread has the most awesome texture ever – really crisp crust with a chewy center. So freaking good.

You can also use it as pizza dough! How brilliant is that!? Or pour it into a greased loaf pan and bake up a slice-able bread loaf.

So much potential, I need to experiment….

…I wonder, when’s the next party…? hmmm….no.

3-ingredient Beer Bread Sticks (no knead, no rise)

- if you don’t have self raising flour, substitute it for 3 cups of all purpose flour plus 1 tbsp baking powder plus 1 tsp of salt

- I also like to sprinkle mine with some kosher salt just before baking – but I’m a salt fiend…

- Like it more salty too? use salted butter! extra yum!

- if you want to make them garlicky - add 1 clove of finely minced garlic to the melted butter. Once the butter has been brushed onto the bread – put it back into the oven for a further 5 minutes.

- you can make them cheesey by adding 1/2 cup of grated parmesan, Gruyère or cheddar cheese to the dough, or sprinkling it on top of the baked dough and then baking for a further 5 minutes to melt it.

- if you’d prefer a sweet version, add 1/4 cup of sugar to the dough, then once baked + brushed with melted butter, sprinkle on a mixture of 1/4 cup of sugar + 4 tsp of cinnamon.

- use it as a pizza dough! – it’ll make around 1 LARGE or two medium bases. Prepare as usual, but spread into (a) thinner rectangle(s) (or circle) on the greased tray(s) and bake for 20 minutes. Add sauce and toppings and bake again for however long you need (normally like 15 minutes)

3-ingredient Beer Bread Sticks
3 cups self raising flour (see notes)
a 12 oz can of beer
1/3 cup butter, melted

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C), grease a large baking tray well.

Put the flour, beer and 4 tbsp of the butter into a large bowl and mix well. Pour onto the greased pan and spread out with slightly damp hands into a (roughly) 12 by 9 inch rectangle.

Bake for 40 minutes until dark golden brown. Brush with the remaining butter. Cut into 12-16 sticks. Serve warm.

Ayumi February 19, 2013 at 2:34 am

can’t believe nobody’s commented yet (yay!)
I totally get the feeling of freaking out about having a party at home. i’ve made some before and… urgh my house was a total mess afterwards. thinking about your mom’s special lamp and your dad’s liquor bar ALL the time.
back to the beer bread, i LOVED it. i am going to do these! I am so lazy sometimes but how can you be lazy ding these? no rise!!! WOHOO!! and this is also the perfect pizza dough! thanks for sharing!!
(btw, loved the british accent and… HAPPY BIRTHDAY!)

Izy February 24, 2013 at 10:45 pm

thanks Ayumi! yes, exacccttlyyyyyy! (thanks again :) )

Sarah February 19, 2013 at 3:52 am

The greatest thing any of my cousins ever said to me, was when I was like 8 years old. He said “Don’t throw parties. Go to parties.” And I have lived by that word ever since.

Unless its a dinner party, in which case I usually put up a ton of fairly lights in the garage, and move out some rugs and lamps and do it out there, so that nothing, but NOTHING in my house is in danger of being wrecked. Food for thought.

Izy February 24, 2013 at 10:46 pm

that kid is a genius.
As are you! Great plan there

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough February 19, 2013 at 4:35 am

1) You are too hilarious! 2) I love your accent! And 3) OMFG I want a thousand of these beer bread sticks in my mouth right now!

Izy February 24, 2013 at 10:47 pm

ahaha, thanks! Oh, believe me, I ate basically half the batch by myself. It was totally worth it.

Yael February 19, 2013 at 6:24 am

Gotta try these! NOW!

Izy February 24, 2013 at 10:48 pm

deffo!

Sophie {The Cake Hunter} February 19, 2013 at 10:05 am

I definitely get the hosting stress. It makes me avoid having people round because I just don’t trust that one friend who is a little over eager with the red wine on the grey sofa. Makes me feel like an old lady.
These sound and look amazing. When I was reading I kept thinking ‘I need to put garlic in these’ and you suggested it so I will!

Izy February 24, 2013 at 10:49 pm

ahh, yes, thank god someone feels the same way as me! Garlic is always good with bread haha

carey February 19, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Ahhh, so many things! First: You may be jealous of my hair, but I am so very jealous of your accent. (I feel like that might be kind of a creepy thing to say. And also kind of typical, because who doesn’t love a British accent?) But yeah, when I was little, one of the few television channels we were able to get out in the middle of nowhere (before my parents caved and bought a satellite dish) was PBS. Consequently, I wound up watching a lot of British tv shows/movies. (Things like The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes [with Jeremy Brett], Are You Being Served, the original Chronicles of Narnia movies, etc.) So British accents are kind of intertwined with happy childhood nostalgia. And probably also the reason I am so very addicted to Downton Abbey and Doctor Who.

Second: These bread sticks look amazing, with their chewy insides and crispy outsides. And I can’t think of better ingredients to make bread from than butter and beer!

Third: Your house sounds awesome, and I totally get that hosting stress. My father built our house himself (with some very specific requests from my mother, who has always been its great, neurotic protector). I feared even bringing friends over sometimes, because I didn’t quite know how to explain to them, “Take your shoes off as soon as your walk through the door, or my mom will hate you forever. Also, don’t flop down onto the antique mission oak furniture, and never put a glass down on a table or anything else made of wood without a coaster. But thanks for coming to hang out at my fun house!” (:

Izy February 24, 2013 at 10:55 pm

hahah, it’s the one thing that I can always use to make people like me: the British accent.
Totally the best flavour combos, right!?
Thanks! THAT IS EXACTLY IT. I have to keep saying ‘nonononoooo you can’t use those glasses. Stop. But here , take this glass, and relax on this wooden chair because you’re not allowed to have drinks on the sofa’

Natasha February 19, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I am the ultimate worried hostess. Constantly fluttering about making sure things are ok, the people are ok, the people are happy, the people are having fun, things are not being destroyed, drinks are full, food is aplenty, music is good, music is loud enough (but not too loud), etc. I can never just chill and my own party. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not, but that’s me.

You are creating some delicious beer bread magic here. I have been eyeing beer bread around the internets a lot lately, but I sort of love the simplicity and adaptability and bite-sizeability of beer bread in a sheet pan. You rock my socks!

Izy February 24, 2013 at 10:58 pm

me too! Sometimes my friends will be like, Izy just sit down, it’s okay, chill.
Thanks girl ;)

Nastasja February 19, 2013 at 4:19 pm

You.are.incredible.

I’ve never read your blog before today and I am so impressed by you, your pictures, recipes, the way your personality shines through your words and just everything about your blog – I don’t know how to handle it! I want to be you. How do you do it?! At least I’m part British which makes me a bit like you (stalker warning?)

Just stay awesome. I am forever a fan from today!
x

Izy February 24, 2013 at 11:00 pm

aww thank you so much! hah, you can totally be me, just eat cookies and watch New Girl, and you’re 90% there ! You too, lovely :)

Erica February 19, 2013 at 4:26 pm

HAHAHHAHA I have been having that Consuela video in the background for the past ten minutes. no joke. ehhh, no. ;)

Izy February 24, 2013 at 11:03 pm

oh god, I know, I know. I KNOW. I’m addicted to watching her, you HAVE GOT to look at her ‘best moments’ video on youtube, it kills me (espesh the last scene with the numbers) :’)

elizabeth February 19, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Everyone gathers in the kitchen because that is usually where the action is and it’s so homey. I
m so excited to see what you come up with next. I LOVE you and your blog.

Izy February 24, 2013 at 11:05 pm

true, plus it’s warm because the oven’s usually warm! Thank you :)

Connie February 19, 2013 at 9:17 pm

3 ingredients? That’s kind of amazing. I’m totally intrigued by this recipe. Also, a few other things: happy belated birthday!, I haven’t painted my nails in a month (must be going around), and I think your anxious hostess thing will go away the more that you host (I can’t make any promises, but it definitely rings true for me). Already looking forward to your next post!

Izy February 24, 2013 at 11:06 pm

thanks Connie! I freakin hope it gets less stressful, or I’m just never going to be able to host anything, ever!

Alexandra February 20, 2013 at 12:23 am

I love beer bread, like love love LOVE it. I just made some this weekend so obviously we must be mind twins. ;) And I’ve definitely felt like you do when you’re trying to be fun and save your house at the same time – not easy to do both at once!
P.S. I love how your british-ness comes through in your writing. It’s fun to hear how you say some things differently, like “nail varnish”. I don’t mean to be weird, but yes I’m also obsessed with british accents. I’m sure you’d love my California one -not. :D

Izy February 24, 2013 at 11:09 pm

We so are! It’s totally delicious!
haha, it’s even weirder for me because my mum’s American so I pronounce some things (like Apricot, tube, due, duvet ect) the American way, and ALL my friends laugh at me!! Nooo I love American accents, I totally always try to put one on when I’m in the US and see if anyone notices haha

MANU February 20, 2013 at 2:50 pm

wow gorgeous post! I love it! I would definitely make these! The beer sounds delicious

Izy February 24, 2013 at 11:11 pm

thank you!

tora February 23, 2013 at 10:45 pm

These look like they would be amazing with an enormous bowl of spicy houmous. and still a bit warm. never mind the friggin’ carrot sticks.

Izy February 24, 2013 at 11:11 pm

ahaha, totally! Carb-it-up yo ;)

Cassie February 24, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I just came across your blog today and I love it! I find it amazing how beautiful you made it :) my mom is a graphic design so I know good design and typography, and yours is awesome! nevermind the photography, content and those recipes look amazing!!! I am 14 and want to become a chef one day.
Good luck <3
PS you should become a food stylist!

Cassie February 24, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Oops sorry, I didn’t mean “nevermind the photography…” I meant ‘not to mention…”
Hehe. Sorry.

Izy February 24, 2013 at 11:13 pm

thanks so much Cassie! I love typography :)
I’m so happy to hear you say that, when most people see my blog they just say “I bet you want to own a bakery, don’t you?”, (which I don’t), they don’t even know food stylists exist! You’re awesome ;)

kellie@foodtoglow February 28, 2013 at 7:26 pm

My daughter follows you and I looked over her shoulder the other day when she exclaimed about this post. Great little idea and stunning clicks. Love your blog design too!

Ishita S. March 19, 2013 at 1:06 am

I can’t wait to make these this weekend! What kind of beer did you use / what do you recommend?

Izy March 20, 2013 at 7:45 am

I used a bottle of home brew sooo I’d just say go with your favourite (but avoid anything too fruity)

Jamie H October 21, 2013 at 12:12 am

Just made this…loved it! Made cheesy bread and going to make pizza as well. Amaaaaazing.

Yvonne (Bread Fun) March 21, 2014 at 2:39 pm

What a simple easy recipe homemade moist baked goods.# ingredient Beer Bread Sticks. This is a Scrumptious bread masterpiece that I must make and try. “Almost to beautiful to eat. “Just Irresistible”