Healthy Banoffee Parfaits (with date caramel and stove-top granola)

March 9, 2013 · 69 comments in Breakfast,Snacks,Tarts and Pies,Uncategorized

Banoffee Parfait title

As evident from my instagram, I am majorly into breakfast foods. Give me a piece of sunflower seed toast, a selection of nut butters and some maple syrup, and I can whip up a multi-layered toast snack that will kill any craving, for real.

Banoffee Parfait x-35

As I’m usually trying to cram food into my face as fast as possible in the mornings (firstly, I am hungrayyy, secondly I’ve only got about 10 minutes to make and eat my breakfast and coffee during the week), I go for yogurt and muesli (an addiction I’ve stuck to for pretty much 75% of my mornings for a year, so far). I make and eat my toast creations when I get home, as I have more time for ‘creativity’ a.k.a lets see how many layers we can get onto this piece of toast, and call it a meal.

So naturally, I’ve come to realise, I. LOVE. LAYERING. FOOD.

Granola + Banana

Date Caramel + Yogurt

(Heck yes I painted my nails for that .gif – look how un-chipped they are compared to how they usually are! Yes it was mango scented nail varnish, and cost £1 more than the regular stuff. Also, yep, I did manage to knock the bottle over, getting nail varnish ALL OVER MY HANDS. Do you realise how impossible it is to get it off of your skin without nail varnish remover? No no, water doesn’t. work. and you just end up spreading it onto more of your hand if you try and wash it off. Oh man, that was a stressful 10 minutes of my life there).

It’s so much fun, there are so many combinations and variations; with just one swap of an ingredient, you have a whole new thing! aaand that usually leads to a mega-inspiration-thought-train of new flavour combos and ingredients to layer.

Banoffee Parfait x-39

I also realised that I’m not one for sticking to meal criteria because I will eat breakfast at pretty much any time of day (and I usually enjoy eating it when it’s not morning…pancakes for dessert = correct life choices)

So with all the breakfast/dessert/layering/yogurt/museli thinking going on, it’s no wonder breakfast parfaits popped up. I think I’d heard of them before, and there’s something slightly parfait-like about those granola-yogurt-fruit compote cups they sell in M & S (although those really aren’t good). But where to begin with the flavours?

Banoffee Parfait

Well since a) it’s not really prime time for fruits at the mo, b) I’m British, and c) I still had my mind on breakfast/dessert type situations, I thought breakfast-ising (new word, yes?) banoffee pie would be an excellent place to start, cos it’s already a parfait wannabe. (just in case: Banoffee pie is a no-bake pie consisting of a crushed digestive biscuit and butter base, dulce de leche filling, sliced bananas and whipped cream top)

I didn’t think layering dulce de leche into this breakfast-dessert would be right, so I went with a quick, utterly addictive date caramel.

You will literally want to just sit around and eat it with a spoon. From the pan. Ending up burning your mouth, and then eating more because now you’ve burned your mouth, it doesn’t matter any more and you have no reason to not eat more hot caramel (I can neither confirm, nor deny, that this didn’t happen…)

Banoffee Parfait x-51

The whipped cream layer was easy enough to sub for a more breakfasty counterpart; changing it for yogurt and stirring in half a teaspoon of vanilla bean paste, for flavour and those gorgeous speckles (a.k.a nature’s sprinkles).

The buttery biscuit base was also an easy swap (hah, I had to throw that link in there. Ahhh classic Masterchef): I just made a mega easy, stove top granola sweetened with honey, and I threw in chopped almonds too, for extra crunch!

I layered it all up in some jars, put the lid on and shoved them into the fridge. I ate the left over components for my dessert.

This, my fine, freckled friendlings (okay, you’re probably not freckled, but it sounds better; Let’s just accept the alliteration and move on), was ah hundrahd pah-sahnt (if you didn’t catch that, that’s how I like to say 100%) ridiculously delicious.

Off the charts, for something so simple. Decadent breakfast or lighter dessert? You decide!

(I hope you realise that this means, come late-spring/summer, you will most likely have to face me throwing more of these at you, but layered with treats such as loganberries, peaches, rhubarb, coconut and pistachios)

-don’t be intimidated by the fact you need to make caramel or granola for this recipe. It literally takes about 30 minutes from start to finish to make and assemble the entire recipe and, once finished, the parfaits can be refrigerated until you want them.
- this recipe really is decadent enough to be served for dessert too. Trust.
- if you’re serving this later, toss the banana coins in some lemon juice so they won’t discolour.
- for a variation, replace the banana coins with ~3/4 cup of homemade or store bought applesauce, mixed with a little cinnamon for caramel apple pie parfaits
- for the granola, you can use 3 tbsp of any kind of nuts you want, or shredded coconut
- for the date caramel, the dates were pitted and chopped, then measured. I used 6 deglet dates (the smaller ones)
- the granola will stay crisp once layered for about 1/2 a day/overnight, but if you want it crunchy, it’s best to layer the parfait and serve it within a few hours.

Healthy Banoffee Parfaits (with date caramel and stove-top granola)

Serving Size: 3 jam jars or small glases

1 large, ripe banana
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt (I used a mixture of half Greek and half regular yogurt)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I used vanilla paste, for the speckled effect)
1 recipe of stove-top granola (see recipe below) or 2/3 cup of granola of your choice
1 recipe of cooled date caramel (see recipe below)

Slice the banana into 1/4" thick coins (see notes if serving later). In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt and vanilla extract/paste.

In 3 small, clean glasses or jars, layer the ingredients like this: 2 tsp granola, a few banana coins, 1 tsp date caramel, 2 tbsp of Greek yogurt. Repeat. Do this for all the jars/glasses. To finish, top with any remaining granola, banana and caramel.

For the date caramel:

Put 1/3 cup of pitted, chopped dates (see notes), 1/3 cup of milk, 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract and a pinch of salt into a blender, blend together until smooth. Pour into a saucepan and heat whilst stirring over a low flame for 5-10 minutes, until thickened and reduced down to ~1/3 of a cup in volume. Set aside to cool.

For the stove-top granola:

Chop 3 tbsp of almonds (see notes) into small, rough chunks. Place with 1/2 cup of old-fashioned oats into a small frying pan, toast for 5 minutes over a medium heat. Then melt in 1 tsp of salted butter, and stir in 1 heaped tsp of honey just until evenly coated. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Rachel March 10, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Thank you for my latest brunch idea; I might make this for my Mum, I know she’ll love it!

Sophie {The Cake Hunter} March 10, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I would eat breakfast food for all meals if I could. Most of my weekday breakfasts are yoghurt, granola and sliced banana. I’m mixing it up this week by making healthy egg mcmuffins and freezing them ready to microwave at work. Last time I mad granola I pretty much ate half of it straight out of the oven, not even sorry. Definitely going to give your stove top granola a try.

Ruth March 10, 2013 at 10:32 pm

1. I’m absolutely LOVING this idea and am pinning it now as I’m so making the banana and apple versions of these.
2. I’ve only recently come across your blog and I love how you put it together (I mean that in a non suck up kinda way – I do really like).
3. Feeling totally inspired to attempt some gif’s right now too. Never tried making one, but heck, that’s not gunna stop me,

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 10, 2013 at 10:40 pm

I am allllll over this! What a fabulous recipe!!

Steph March 11, 2013 at 2:07 am

I love anything banoffee! I love layering in jars too so you’ve got a whole lot of awesome going on there. And as much as I would totally be on board with eating dulce de leche for breakfast (I have been known to eat cake for breakfast), that date caramel sounds crazy good.

thecitygourmand March 11, 2013 at 6:32 am

Ooh yum, these look great. I like the jars that you served them in, very cute!

Karen | Citrus and Candy March 11, 2013 at 8:40 am

Oh gawd banoffeeee. Oh gawd bananaaaaas. MARRY ME IZY. (PS – I approve of the orange nail polish hehe).

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:13 am

Yes. Yes. Aaaand yes! Haha thanks ( I’ve still got it on two weeks later… Ahh the pleasures of having no nail polish remover)

Vickie March 11, 2013 at 9:29 am

yum! plus, they look awesome :)

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:13 am

Thanks! They are :) ))

Ashley March 11, 2013 at 1:52 pm

BEST gif’s ever. You rule. So does this recipe + the photos + your painted nails. ;)

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:14 am

Haha thanks Ashley!!! :)

Jessy March 11, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Oh god these look amazing! I’m a huge health food junkie and banoffee fan – but those two things normally dont compliment each other hahaa.. I have to try these tomorrow! <3

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:14 am

I know right?? Healthy Banoffee pie is awesome :)

Leah March 11, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Love your GIF! I would definitely paint my nails too. ;)

This recipe sounds amazing – pretty much combines all of my favorite breakfast items… including caramel haha.

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:15 am

Yay! Thanks ( yes, I approve caramel for breakfast… ;) )

Joshua @ SlimPalate March 11, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Absolutely love the minimalism in this photos. Completely gorgeous, and the food looks incredibly beautiful. Yay for yogurt!

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:15 am

Thank yah!

Eva | Adventures in Cooking March 12, 2013 at 12:05 am

Mmmmm dates. I could eat them by themselves for days on end! This sounds like a seriously delicious and yet healthy (I love it when magic like that happens) breakfast.

And yes! Trying to get nail polish off of skin is a TOTAL nightmare. I’ve ended up using nail polish remover on my hand on several occasions. Doesn’t leave it with the most pleasant of scents, that is for certain. But at least it’s not covered in red polish that makes it look like your hand is bleeding profusely. Life’s ups and downs!

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:18 am

Mmmmm me too, they’re SO GOOD. yay, yeah totally magical :)

Ugh I know, and then if you don’t wash your hands after using nail polish remover, and then eat food, it’s totally gross and chemically :( haha yes :)

Jessica March 12, 2013 at 4:01 am

Wow these look amazing, such a great idea. I think they”ll make the perfect snack for coffee break :) Love her videos as well!!

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:19 am

Heck yes! Get on it! Thanks

thelittleloaf March 12, 2013 at 8:05 am

I need date caramel in my life. That is all.

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:19 am

Do it. Make it. Eat it all.

Erika March 12, 2013 at 2:22 pm

OMG STOP. Photos are unreal. They’re just so crisp and clear. I’m in love. WHAT CAMERA DO YOU USE?? I want it. Sorry, have you already answered this somewhere? Anyway. I am also a total breakfast fiend. I could definitely eat breakfast foods a good 80% of the time and be totally happy. Especially if it involves caramel and granola!?!?! (Genius!)

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:22 am

Aww thanks!! These a probably my most clear photos ever tbh! I use a canon rebel t2i with the good old 50mm f/1.8 lens

Breakfast dessert food hybrids > all other food.

Natasha March 12, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I am totes a fan of anytime of day breakfasting. I love the idea of date caramel–I will absolutely be giving that a try. And I bet the granola and date caramel would go deliciously on top of some ice cream for a little dessert change up. These look so so good.

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:22 am

High five for the breakfast love! YEAH
omg totally would :O

Michelle March 12, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Actually, I am freckled. Thank you for noticing. :) This looks delicious. I am definitely trying this one.

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:23 am

You are welcome, lady ;) haha thanks!

Jen Jenny Jennifer March 12, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Steph you are hilarious…I love the way you get side-tracked…reminds me of myself. I’m actually making granola for my upcoming blog post. I’ll be sure to link it to your post so that we can give granola and breakfast parfaits a chance to achieve world wide domination.

Jen Jenny Jennifer March 12, 2013 at 5:19 pm

OMG…talk about sidetracked writing…I called you Steph…that’s the name of my friend I’m sitting next to…doh…sorry IZY!!!!!

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:23 am

AHAHAHA no problem :)

carey March 13, 2013 at 12:25 am

Oh yes, definitely on board with the sweet breakfast at the non-breakfast time of day. Once I devour a breakfast with an ungodly amount of salt on it, the sweet cravings really start kicking in! (Also, I was just talking to Johnny about wanting to make breakfast for dinner the other night. But then he started telling about how his mom would make these “special occasion” savory pancakes for dinner with potato flour and cheddar cheese. omg.)

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:24 am

Ok what. You going to have to make and post those immediately because now I can’t actually imagine life without them.

Melissa@Julia's Bookbag March 13, 2013 at 2:31 am

fabulous. can’t wait to try these!

you are so so right. layering one’s food is totally and completely fun. xo

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:25 am

Thanks!! Haha heck yes it is :)

Lilly March 13, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Whow, fantastic!!! Lecker!

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen March 14, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Your parfaits look absolutely delicious, I love your photos!

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:27 am

Thank you!

Ala March 15, 2013 at 3:02 am

Totally digging the gifs–and digging through them layers, girl! Don’t look now, but I’ve taken your gif-spiration to heart and starting making gifs too…hehe. Off to have breakfast for dinner–I dunno about you, but I will say that one perk about living on your own is that you get breakfast for every meal of the day…

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:28 am

Haha awesome!
Lucky, I think I’m in need of a pancake dinner verryyy soon…

Sandra March 17, 2013 at 12:02 am

I finally must say that I’m totally in love with all your recipes, photographies and your whole Blog!! <
Just say that you're a great inspiration for me and that I also love your Blog design (I'd like to change mine but don't even know how to do it!)
(Hope you take a look on my Blog and told me your opinion!! <3)
P.S.: Sorry for my "bad" english, but I cannot write better what I mean. The english level in Spain is poor :___D!!

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:29 am

Aww thanks Sandra! :) <3

Lovefoodies March 17, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Hi Izy,
Love love love this post, the pics, the explanation, great stuff. I’m not a muesli fan but after reading your post I think I might just try your recipe out…after all, bananas, caramel, I love, so it’s worth a go yes?!
Thanks for sharing your recipe and inspiring me :)
Mary from Lovefoodies

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:30 am

Thank youuu! Yes totally worth a go :) )

Claire March 19, 2013 at 2:10 pm

I just tried this last night, and it was quite delicious! Thank you for sharing it with us (and the “healthy-ish” brownie recipe). :-) I look forward to trying this recipe again when I have a little more time on my hands and can make it look good as well as taste good (which it already did).

Marije March 27, 2013 at 8:27 am

Made it. Ate it. Addict-it.

Tessa April 1, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Wow..Spring has sprung here in the Rockies (if only for a day or two) and I am loving my thoughts of camping!
This Banoffee looks perfect for summer in the camp mornings.
Can’t wait to try it.
Thanks.

Gabrielle Bradley April 1, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Falling in love with this “date caramel” Idea! Can tell me if you used full fat, low fat or skim milk?

Izy April 1, 2013 at 11:48 pm

It’s awesome! I used 1% but it really doesn’t matter :)

Laura April 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Oh my, this looks like heaven…yum!

Anna April 4, 2013 at 2:15 am

These looks delicious. Ended up toasting some oats, then adding the date caramel to the oats along with peanut butter and making that the granola. When It was done and it cooled for a little, I added mini choc chips and poured milk over it. Amazing. Great inspiration.

Allie April 21, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Do you think I could substitute cashew milk for the cow milk?

Izy April 21, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Yeah sure :)

Dani Stevens May 19, 2013 at 11:16 am

Gorgeous babe. Simply stunning xxDani

Healthy Granola June 13, 2013 at 8:15 pm

This seems like a versatile dish – breakfast or desert. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Sumi July 29, 2013 at 1:26 am

Just made the caramel and the granola- can’t wait to layer it for my family for dessert tonight :) Great idea Izy!