Healthy(ish) Single-Lady, Vegan, Molten Fudge Brownie (with gluten free version)

March 17, 2013 · 66 comments in Bars and Brownies,Cookies,Small cakes and Baked Doughnuts

Single Lady Brownie- title

Firstlayyy,

because of the whole google-reader shutdown sitch that’s totally ruining my internet life at the mo, and because I keep getting asked by people,

I’VE  FINALLY MADE A Top With Cinnamon FACEBOOK PAGE

soooo if you ‘like’ it (hint hint hinty hint hint… hint) you can get updates, and read more of the words I type, even more often!! (I don’t actually know if that’s appealing to you, or not…)

(Also on the google reader note – I’ve switched to feedly for my blog reading, and bloglovin’ seems good too)

Single Lady Cookie-226

Secondly, my computer…

My dear, sweet, computer (I liked to call him Sam..well, I call many machines Sam: the 1950′s Kenwood stand mixer (uh, yeah, not even joking), ice cream maker and mini food processor, but whatever.)

decided that 5 years was enough time to be on this crazy planet, and left me yesterday.

As before, I had everything backed up, so I’m good to go; however I still feel a little lost without my Packard Bell (hah, yeah, you might be able to tell why it broke so much now…)

BUT ANYWAY, enough of that, life goes on (and it goes on with chocolate, heh heh heh).

So if you had scrolled to the bottom of the deep dish cookie post, you probably would have seen one of these totally photo bombing the last picture.

Single Lady Cookie-199

I’m sorry, but it just happened.

I think I just go on recipe trends.

There was the whole 2/3/4-ingredient thing, and now I’m making all these single-lady vegan things.

If you think I’m dropping more hints or something, I’m not I’m not I’m not.

I am a single-lady, buuuut I’m not actually trying to advertise that :/

and I’m not a vegan (it’s just convenient to not use eggs for single serving recipes, plus it means more people can make these recipes!), but it is nice to give that buttah and white sugar a rest ;)

But, whatever, I have this to eat. I don’t even care about anything else.

Brownie-ingredients

(Note: I slightly modified the above image because apparently some people can’t actually read/ don’t {want to} read the written recipe where I do say that honey isn’t vegan. I take the photos for the recipe using ingredients I have on hand at the moment that I’m shooting. This time I used honey. It was merely out of convenience for ME – someone who isn’t vegan, but is INTERCHANGEABLE with vegan sweeteners like maple or agave syrup as, again, I have specified in the written recipe below. The pictures are just a piece of graphic designnot meant to be used in place of the written recipe which contains the METHOD, notes and ingredients. Sorry this is a long note, but I thought that people would be able to let go of the fact I used honey in one photo – {ooh rebel, I know} but apparently, 2 people so far can’t.)

I literally said, out loud after making this “I don’t even know what I was doing before this.”

As in: this is the best thing ever.

and

how has this not been a thing? What on EARTH have I been doing that has meant that I haven’t made this before?

Whole wheat, vegan, chocolate, molten, whaaat.

Brownie gif

(the .gif makes it look hard to dig into… not really molten-y; that’s because it had been cooling for about 30 minutes whilst I was shooting, by then! It basically turns into a piece of fudge once cooled, pinky promise)

It’s so easy to make, and so delicious that I want to cry.

You mix it in the freaking dish people – in the dish! You don’t have to wash up anything apart from spoons and whatever vessel you decide to use to mix/bake/eat it up in. Easy as. NOW GO, GO TO YOUR KITCHENS AND MAKE THIS. IMMEDIATELY.

Notes

-I just minimally adapted this from my single-lady deep dish cookie from a few posts again, so the method is exactly the same
-Worried that the brownie will taste of honey if you use it? DON’T FRET, you seriously can’t taste it (Unless you’re using a strongly flavored honey, that is)
-To make it grain free, use the gluten free adaptations at the bottom of the page, and use baking soda instead of baking powder

Healthy(ish) Single-Lady, Vegan, Molten Fudge Brownie
1 tsp coconut oil, neutral oil (or butter - obvs butter isn't vegan, but it still does the job for non-vegans)
1 tbsp honey, agave or maple syrup (the honey- again, isn't strictly vegan)
pinch of baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tbsp + 1 tsp whole wheat flour (or all purpose, or white whole wheat)
1 tbsp cocoa powder
~1 tbsp chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (I go for 70% upwards)

Put the first 2 ingredients into a ramekin/any small oven proof dish thing. Put onto a cookie sheet and then into an oven which is preheating to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C), for 1 minute (just so the coconut oil melts).

Stir in the baking powder and salt, then the flour and cocoa (it's easier if your ramekin/dish has high edges. If it's too hard to mix, just pour the contents into a small bowl, mix and smooth into the ramekin/dish).

Smooth the dough in the dish and scatter over the chocolate chips, pressing them in slightly. Bake for 5-6 minutes, until it has risen slightly, and is still pretty soft in the centre (you really don't want to over-bake it; under-baked is waay better than over-baked in this case). Eat while still warm.

For the gluten free version:
- replace the coconut oil with 2 tsp of almond butter (or another nut butter)
- replace the flour with 1 tbsp of ground almonds

Melinda @cookingalamel March 17, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Well, I know what I’m making tonight! These recipes are perfect for when I’m procrastinating but want to pretend that I’m not – quick and easy. Looove.

Izy March 21, 2013 at 9:53 am

Haha yes, exactly :) then you get to procrastinate away like 10 more minutes whilst eating it

Emily March 17, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I have no good excuse to not make this right this second right now!
Except that I work in a cupcake shop and repeatedly did ‘quality control’ tastings on our Chocolate Guinness cupcake today..
Will power whyyyyy?!

I will however eventually and cannot wait to make this!
x

Izy March 21, 2013 at 9:54 am

That sounds like my kind of job!! Quality control just has to happen whenever food is made, right? Especially if chocolate is involved ;)

carey March 17, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Man, this is waaaaaaaaay too dangerous. Seriously, the only thing that is stopping me from making this RIGHT NOW is the fact that I don’t have a tiny pan. How do I not have a tiny pan? That must be remedied asap.

Also, I totally had a mini breakdown when I opened up Google reader and got that “As of July 1…” message. Why, Google…..why???! It’s especially upsetting because I hadn’t used anything besides email to subscribe to blogs up until a couple months ago, and I was so proud of myself for finally joining the 21st century. Feedly was the alternative I was looking at, so I guess I’ll probably make the switch to that sometime soon. SIGH. But hurray for the Facebook page! Finally! :D

Izy March 21, 2013 at 9:57 am

I don’t even know why I have a zillion tiny pans and ramekins, I then when I see them I buy them just because they’re SO CUTE!!

Haha I knowwww, I was thinking “this has to be a joke, right?????” Ughhh. YES FINALLY! It literally has taken me nearly 2 years to do it…better late than never :/

Sarah March 18, 2013 at 12:52 am

Individual gooey brownie? Yeah. AKA, crisis management system. I could sure use one of these little guys right now!

Izy March 21, 2013 at 9:58 am

Yessss, that is definitely what this is for :) crisis management

Joshua @ SlimPalate March 18, 2013 at 2:10 am

This recipe is beautiful. Also may I please have a couple of your many awesome mini baking dishes?

Izy March 21, 2013 at 9:59 am

Thanks! Haha nooo they’re alllll mineeee :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 18, 2013 at 10:17 am

This looks like a dream! I’m all over it!

Izy March 21, 2013 at 9:59 am

Thanks katrina!!

Natasha March 18, 2013 at 11:00 am

Woman! You’re killing me! This looks amazing and I still haven’t made that single-lady cookie yet (it’s totally on “the list”. I’ll get there).

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:00 am

Hahah, the single lady cookie is totally immense ;)

Annie @ Annie's Noms March 18, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Holy yum!! I need to make this now!! Looks so darn fudgey! And you’re not the only one who names machines haha!! My stand mixer is called Chalky (I honestly have no idea why) and my hand mixer is called Junior (because he’s smaller than my stand mixer, embarrassing I know…) I also have an addiction to naming cars, but that’s a whole other story!!

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:01 am

Thanks Annie!! Aww yeah! High five for machine naming :D

Sophie {The Cake Hunter} March 18, 2013 at 7:00 pm

These single-lady recipes are creeping into my routine on a far too regular basis. Oh and going back to your beer bread post, my friend totally spilt red wine all over the sofa on Saturday. I turned into a crazy lady with the stain remover…all clean now though!

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:02 am

I know, I kept ummmm ‘testing’ the recipe to make sure it was okay…heh heh heh

Omg nooo, thank goodness!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks March 18, 2013 at 7:07 pm

That cake is so fudgy and gooey and wonderful looking – I want to dive into it! Love the heart-shaped pan you used, too! So pretty!

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:03 am

Thanks so much averie! I recently rediscovered them and JUST KEEP USING THEM!!!

Alexandra @ Confessions of a Bright-Eyed Baker March 18, 2013 at 8:04 pm

I love these single-lady cookies and brownies you’ve got going on. They look FABulous and so easy too! And the molten center? I think that’s how every brownie should be.
Sorry about your computer troubles! That’s always a bummer, but I think it was probably time to let go of that old guy. ;)

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:05 am

Me too (although my waist might not be…. :/) of course, it’s the only way to go!! Thanks, it was time :( bu now I’m getting a new super awesome computer wooooh

Steph March 18, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I’m with you, I am a bit devastated about Google Reader shutting down. But am stubbornly resisting making a facebook page for the moment! I need this brownie in my life, it really does sound like the best thing ever.

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:06 am

It was the worst thing ever when I found out :( I know, Now im distracted by fb even more! Yes you do ;)

sunday March 19, 2013 at 9:34 am

yuuuumm!! that looks sooooo great!
i almost drooled when i saw the gif. haha

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:09 am

Haha thanks

Mischelle March 19, 2013 at 1:19 pm

also guilt-free-brownie-so-you-can-eat-like-50-of-this!

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:09 am

Yes. I approve.

Ellen @ Indigo Scones March 20, 2013 at 2:59 am

hahhaa, you’re such a hoot! And I definitely can’t wait to read even more of your typed words :)

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:09 am

You too, girl! Haha thanks

Eva | Adventures in Cooking March 20, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Anything that has “molten fudge” as a part of its name is an automatic “who what where????” for me. These look as amazing as they sound, too! So nice and gooey! And I adore your little heart-shaped pan. So cute and fun! I’ve been meaning to get some more fun-shaped baking pans lately, you’ve inspired me to get on it, lady!

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:11 am

Hahaha, same here!! Thank you :) ) I just found them a few weeks ago and I keep using them now!! You totally need to get on it :)

Yohann March 21, 2013 at 9:48 am

These are perfect! I need to try it! I may add some beetroot for some extra red!

Izy March 21, 2013 at 10:12 am

Thanks! Ooh sounds interesting, let me know how it turns out!

Gourmantine March 21, 2013 at 6:28 pm

It’s so dangerously easy to make, it’s ridiculous. A heartwarming chocolaty fix within minutes, how wonderful id that?

allison March 24, 2013 at 4:54 am

Honey is NOT vegan. Please don’t mislabel something as vegan when it’s not.

Izy March 24, 2013 at 7:51 am

Maybe you should read through a recipe before leaving stupid comment like this.

Sushma March 24, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I must try this! Those pictures look fab, Izy!
Can this be made in a microwave?

Serena April 20, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I made this in the microwave and without any cocoa powder! Just used 2 T of chopped chocolate and nuked for 60 sec on medium power. Delicious!

Not Only Sugar March 25, 2013 at 11:44 am

This brownie is so lovely

Not Only Sugar

Eeeeeelllllllllssssssaaaaa March 27, 2013 at 10:23 am

OM NOM NOM. NOM.
NOM.

NOM.

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed March 28, 2013 at 5:29 am

Oh man.
Heidi xo

Emma March 28, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Holy Moly this looks incredible! Where has your blog been all my life, I’ve just found it. Love how vegan-friendly so many of your recipes are :)
P.S Just moved to feedly too- seems pretty good as a google reader replacement so far

paige March 28, 2013 at 3:02 pm

you just made my life a lot sweeter!!!! ;)

Ashley April 1, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Fantastically awesome! Love the light in the 2nd photo and all of these photos in general. Your creativity with text as graphic is always so well done. Nice work lady! Honey and all….haha

Izy April 1, 2013 at 11:44 pm

AHAHAHA thanks Ashley ;) hope the mini honey rant didn’t disturb the post!

Molly April 7, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Mmm… looks delicious! BEAUTIFUL photos, as always!

mayacook April 8, 2013 at 8:51 am

though not really a “chocolate tooth” I fell in love with your pic…and I don’t know if it’s seeing the recipe or a bald cold calling for comfort food but Saturday night I really craved for a chocolate dessert. I seized this perfect timing for trying this browny (using agave nectar…but I’m not a vegan ;) ) however the dough was suspisciously hard, not like a cake batter, so I added some fresh puree pumking-about two tbsp (I was cooking baby’s dinner) and it went out perfect: soft, moist, very comfy. The only drawback was that it took more than 5 mn (about 15-20) to cook…but it was worth waiting!
Thanks!!

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe April 14, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Girl, you’re killing me with all of these single-lady recipes…and it’s a beautiful way to die. Y-U-M!

Shauna April 26, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Just made this. WOW! I recommend this to ANYONE who loves chocolate. I used milk instead of oil and it turned out perfectly moist and decadent. Only problem? It’s too small! DEFINITELY going to double it next time. I calculated it as 220 calories, which isnt too bad at all!

Ami April 27, 2013 at 1:30 am

OMG! I just made this and doubled the portion size.

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Thank you so much for sharing this! Love it!! I just had a bad final exam today and this recipe was a small piece of gooey goodness in my day :)
And it’s totally up to my idea of “healthy” standards hahaa virgin coconut oil is amazing with the chocolate flavour <3

Jai June 1, 2013 at 4:19 pm

This looks amazing! I no longer eat dairy or grains and CRAVE chocolate desserts.

I can’t wait to try this in a GF-DF version!

Megan June 27, 2013 at 12:42 pm

They look so delicious, I love this blog and brownies! I am going to have to give them a go this weekend.

Kara July 31, 2013 at 5:17 pm

This my favorite dessert right now! So delicious. Thanks so much. I love single serving baking, and I am going to post a single serving cinnamon roll recipe on my blog soon.

CiCi August 17, 2013 at 1:25 pm

Wow, sign me up for chocolatey goodness! Where on earth can I find those adorable baking pans though? I want a little heart brownie! Gotta try this out!

Ashley August 28, 2013 at 3:23 am

As a vegan I want to apologize for the ignoramus vegans who feel the need to rail on you for using honey in a recipe. Any vegan in their right mind already knows that honey can be subbed for any number of things (agave, maple syrup, brown rice syrup, whatever). They’re just trying to cause a fuss. Maybe it’s because there are so many silly misconceptions out there about vegans (“but you eat fish, right?” *facepalm*) and the kind of crazy we get confronted with on the daily drives them crazy and makes them super defensive? That’s the best I can do to try to justify this behaviour.

I also want to thank you for embracing vegan baking even though you’re not! Rock on.

Izy August 28, 2013 at 5:35 am

Haha, thank you so much Ashley! Your comment has made my day :)

Kanchan August 28, 2013 at 9:55 am

Love this !! I tried and it turned out amazing…just wondering though, can we sub the flour to oat flour ? Do you think it would give as good of a result ?

Cassie October 12, 2013 at 12:55 am

Yum….I put a marshmallow on top. ^_^

Audrey @ GlutenFreeVeganLove February 12, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Yum! ♥ single serving desserts — leaves more room for embarking upon new creations more frequently ;)

Momo April 11, 2014 at 12:17 am

Well. I thought this would be another squidgy, healthy tasting brownie. Or worse – dry. Or sandy. Or (barf) rubber-y. I have made a lot of single serving desesrts both in the microwave and in the oven, and more often than not they disappoint. I was thinking it might just taste okay, but it was actually quite delicious. The only change I made was following your advice; I used ground almonds to make this gluten free. The chocolate brownie was very, very molten and the edges were crisp, which I liked. The dark chocolate sprinkled on top was a very elegant touch. The only thing I didn’t like was the taste of coconut – I thought it was a bit too overpowering. But what can I complain about? This is a keeper, and I know what I’m going for when a craving strikes. Not just as something to fill my stomach up, but something my taste buds will thank me for. Next time I will use less coconut oil and perhaps a bit almond butter. Thanks so much for this recipe!