Samoa Popcorn (Chocolate, Coconut and Caramel)

March 30, 2013 · 49 comments in Snacks

Samoa Popcorn-title

(Just a mini reminder in case you didn’t catch it last week – I’ve made a Top With Cinnamon Facebook page ;) )

Samoa Popcorn

Heh

Wow, so yeah, hi.

Sorry bout that 2 week break, I could bore you to TEARS with complaining about the fact I have my AS exams coming up in a month, and all I’ma be doing is revising (and making food) but I know that that is SO DULL.

So lets just not think about that okayyy?

(and I’ve got a lot of photos of popcorn for you so you’d better be ready)

Samoa Popcorn-ingredients

I’ve been full on taunting people with this popcorn for a month, I think, on instagram;

mostly because I literally spent a week making it every day after school, trying to perfect the technique of coating the popcorn with the caramel whilst not letting it burn and then having to scrub a lot of pots.

Samoa Popcorn

As you can imagine,

I ate a lot of popcorn that week. I had to give it a break before I was ready to get back into popcorn mode again.

popcorn drop

(I…I didn’t really know how to .gif the popcorn…so I just…dropped/threw it…).

For most of my life I’ve been stuck making plain popcorn because I can’t find techniques which get things to stick to the popcorn, without making it soggy or involving a heck tonne of butter.

So far, I’m loving this kettle corn thang where you add a little sugar to the pot whilst it’s cooking;

firstly you get caramelised popcorn and secondly, you can get all the additional toppings to stick to the hot caramel :D

Double win

But

Samoa Popcorn-113

I am mad into the cheddar cheese and caramel popcorn combo, and it makes me sad that I can’t recreate the cheddar popcorn at home so have to spend minimum £3.50 at Whole Foods buying a pack to lug home.

Plus it’s like “Hah, sure GH Cretors, ~8 servings per bag. Yeah, we’ll see about that *eats half a pack in one sitting*”

Cry.

Samoa Popcorn

Samoa Popcorn

So then it’s back to Whole Foods.

Which means I’m inevitably going to be drawn towards the grind-your-own-nut-butter section in with all the bulk grains and end up spending another £7 on pecan butter and flaked coconut.

Man, that place…it’s just too tempting (Hello free bread samples. Yes, I will eat ALL OF YOU)

popcorn throw!

Samoa Popcorn

Ahh okay, so enjoy the recipe, lemme know what you think and if you have any ingenious popcorn making techniques (…I don’t have a microwave though, so don’t make me sad with all your cool microwave popcorn…I’ve been through enough having to look at everyone’s delicious-looking 1 minute microwave mug cakes :( )

Samoa Popcorn (Chocolate, Coconut and Caramel)
2 tsp coconut oil
1/3 cup popcorn kernals
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup shredded coconut (plus a little more for sprinkling at the end)
salt
1/4 cup semisweet/bittersweet chocolate, melted (or 1 quantity of Chocolate Drizzle - see below)
Before you start making this - get out a large cookie sheet, prepare all your ingredients and read through the recipe.

In a large pot (which has a lid), melt the coconut oil over a high heat, until you can see it start to smoke slightly.

Add the popcorn kernals and put the lid on. Shake gently until you hear it juuust start to pop then take it off the heat and remove the lid. Sprinkle the sugar over the kernals as quickly and evenly as possible. Replace the lid and return the pot to a medium-high heat. Shake the pot back and forth continuously until you can hear some MAD popping going on. Remove from the heat for a few seconds, still gently shaking the pan, and return to the heat again (still shaking!) until the popping has slowed down.

Immediately remove the lid and pour the popcorn onto the sheet tray. Without waiting, sprinkle the coconut and then the salt over the hot popcorn (DON'T TOUCH IT, ITS COVERED IN CRAZY HOT CARAMEL).

Drizzle the melted chocolate (or Chocolate Drizzle) over the popcorn (I put it into a ziplock bag, and cut off the very tip of one corner, to use as a piping bag). Sprinkle over some more coconut now if you want. Let the chocolate set (I just put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes and it was fine) and then eat ASAP because it doesn't keep well. (You can eat it warm with the chocolate all melty, buuut you WILL get chocolate allll over your hands...and probably face, too)

Chocolate Drizzle
2 tbsp coconut oil
4 tsp cocoa powder
1 heaped tsp golden/maple/agave/corn syrup or honey

Melt the coconut oil, stir in the cocoa and syrup.

Carina March 30, 2013 at 2:16 pm

omg! how crazy perfect and delicious is this????

Izy March 30, 2013 at 2:16 pm

super crazy delicious ;) thanks!

Eva {not your mama's dinner} March 30, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Good luck with your exams! If you kick even half as much ass over there as you’re doing on this blog, you’ll do just fine.
btw. I love the randomnes of the gifs. they couldn’t have been better :) .

Izy April 2, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Haha thanks for all the kind words :) )

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar March 30, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Mmm this looks fabulous!! Love this idea!

Izy April 2, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Thanks Katrina!

Sophie {The Cake Hunter} March 30, 2013 at 3:35 pm

My friend from Vermont introduced me to samoa cookies the other week and I’ve been obsessed ever since. I’m attempting to make my own this weekend. This popcorn looks awesome. I always have a nightmare getting coatings to the right consistency for popcorn but testing it out is so much fun.

Izy April 2, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Haha I know right. And I literally think making popcorn should be a science in itself. I need to take a popcorn making course :)

Emily March 30, 2013 at 5:18 pm

I havn’t tried the pecan butter yet but it’s on my list! I’m totally due for a Whole Foods run though.
Lovin’ the gifs.
xo

Suda March 30, 2013 at 5:23 pm

This looks gorgeous! And Whole Foods is the best. :)

PS What kind of DSLR do you use?

Izy April 2, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Thanks! It is my life.

I have a canon 550d

Karin March 30, 2013 at 6:22 pm

I just have to say that I was lucky enough to eat what was left of this when I got home from a looooong day of work at the library, it cheered me up no end! Another perfect treat for a proud Mom!

Izy April 2, 2013 at 5:09 pm
Alexandra @ Confessions of a Bright-Eyed Baker March 30, 2013 at 6:23 pm

The popcorn looks/sounds fantastic Izy! Anything w/ chocolate and caramel is like heaven in my mind. And you don’t have a microwave?? Why? Haha
My mom has always been a microwave queen… Not because she can’t cook but just bc she loves them. I’m not so obsessed but still get shocked when I learn about people who don’t own one. :)

Izy April 2, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Thankss :) ) hahahah I know, we’ve just never really…needed one! There was this one time we lived in a rented house for like 6 months in between moving. It had a microwave.
I ate popcorn at least 3 times a week. No joke. And hot chocolate just constantly.

Jojo March 30, 2013 at 8:14 pm

This looks absolutely fantastic! You’re blog is so inspiring! X

Izy April 2, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Thank you!!

Ellen @ Indigo Scones March 30, 2013 at 9:37 pm

It’s a good thing you have two ovens to make up for that lack of a microwave ;)

Izy March 30, 2013 at 9:39 pm

4 ovens girl ;) )))

Ellen @ Indigo Scones April 1, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Get outta here!

Jackie Humphrey March 30, 2013 at 10:19 pm

That looks SO good. Too bad my roommate is terrified of popcorn!

Izy April 2, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Hahaha oh man that must be a nightmare!

Arielle March 31, 2013 at 4:14 am

OMG – I love that GH Cretors popcorn, too! My Whole Foods has been out of it for a while. But your popcorn sounds amazing! My last attempt at kettle corn resulted in a majorly scorched mess, so I need to try it again! :)

Izy April 2, 2013 at 5:04 pm

It’s way too good. Aww no! Mine hasn’t had the caramel one in a whole so I have to just hoard packets of the cheese one until I can get mah hands on the caramel. Then it just a popcorn free for all.

Yeah it’s difficult to get the timing right! I’ve burned sooooo many batches of kettle corn!

Cassie March 31, 2013 at 5:00 am

Wow! YOU HAVE FOUR OVENS?!?!??!
haha and these look amazing. Were you ever a girl scout? I was, and I hated selling cookies. Although I love eating them.
GONNA MAKE THIS- and happy easter!
btw microwaves arent that great- and I heard that using one often is not good for your health ?(with all them heat wave things and stuff)
LOVE YOUR BLOG :D :D:D

Izy April 2, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Heheh yep, 4 :) ))) best thang evarrrr
Nah I’m in the UK where the closest you get to Girl Scouts is being a brownie, which I wasn’t, and they don’t even sell cookies or anything :(
Haha I think it would be bad for my health to have a microwave because all I would do would be make microwave mig cakes ALL THE TIME!!

Ala March 31, 2013 at 8:39 am

I have absolutely no helpful popcorn-making tips to offer. I did, however, just try Garrett’s in Chicago for the first time in this week, and their famous Chicago mix is the cheddar and caramel combo! And here I thought they were being original. Didn’t know it was a “thing”…yep, that was singularly unhelpful. Off to expand my waistline some more with this stuff….nom…

Izy April 2, 2013 at 4:59 pm

AHAHAH well I think they came up with it… It’s normally called Chicago mix so.. :/ but I can seriously eat that stuff ALL DAY SON

Katherine March 31, 2013 at 8:04 pm

You’re a genius, Izy! And I love the animated GIFs with this recipe.

Izy April 2, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Haha thanks :) they’re a bit random, but oh wellllll!

Eva | Adventures in Cooking April 1, 2013 at 2:38 am

This is so creative! I love the idea of having the samoa flavor combo in a healthier way than a cookie :)

JB April 1, 2013 at 5:31 am

No way can I handle this. Samoas are my addiction and now I have to go eat half of my box. (Why are there so FEW in each box? Why?!) And also I need to make this popcorn.

Cheri April 1, 2013 at 8:20 am

When I want kettle corn type popcorn, I just add sugar/xylitol to my oil before adding the popcorn and it comes out sweet. This works both in the microwave and in a pot on the stove.

Like you, Izy, I wish there was a healthy way to make the delicious cheddar kind, as it is my definite favorite!!

Izy April 2, 2013 at 4:56 pm

YES!! :) that’s the method I just discovered! It works so well (once you get the hang of not letting the sugar burn haha)

It totally is the best, *le sigh

Justine@cookingandbeer April 1, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Oh my god, yum! I love popcorn and this is the perfect way to make it special!

carey April 1, 2013 at 11:50 pm

Oh god, THIS. I just realized I never commented on it! Dude, really. I love popcorn, but I LOVE samoa cookies. I can’t even begin to comprehend what would happen if I had the two combined, right in front of my face. I would feast myself to death.

Also, Alanna of The Bojon Gourmet did a post recently on caramel popcorn, and she actually put the whole tray of popcorn in a 200° (F) oven for an hour after she tossed it in the caramel to dry it out. I soooo want to try that with my sriracha popcorn, because it def got pretty sogtastic after a little while. If an oven trip is all that needs to happen to avoid mush popcorn, oh man, the possibilities!

Izy April 2, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Hahah man, I haven’t commented on your most recent post either, shall do that ASAP!! Believe me I ate so much popcorn it was actually insane, cos it just expands SO MUCH. I was like “oh yeah? 1/3 cup that’s nothing”. I was wrong. In popcorn terms that’s a million cups of popcorn.

I’ve made caramel corn once and used that method! It’s pretty good but so scary cos the caramel gets super hot and you have to keep flipping the popcorn :O burnt hands occurred. But YES I’d never thought of using the method to dry out other popcorn toppings!!!! Must try that out :)

veredgy April 8, 2013 at 12:26 pm

just for pure knowlede. The Samoans are the fattest people on earth!!!!!!!!!!!

Emily April 8, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Yum! I made Orangette’s caramel popcorn, added some curry powder to the caramel before baking, then drizzled with chocolate and sprinkled in coconut for a contest last year. Had a hard time leaving enough for the contest! Yours looks so good, and the gifs make me hungry.

Anne Marie April 14, 2013 at 9:52 am

I love the loosenes of this post. The throwing of the popcorn is very unexpected and cute! Your blog is really fab, go girl! Anne Marie @ http://thefooddept.blogspot.com.au/

Shae May 13, 2013 at 3:11 am

Wow this looks amazing and easy! Also just wanted to say LOVE you use of gifs! Very smart!

marion January 24, 2014 at 3:21 pm

just tried it and it’s sooooo good!!!! we only have salted pop corn here in sweden so I was beyond excited when i found this recepie! thank you sooo much!:D