(Just a mini reminder in case you didn’t catch it last week – I’ve made a Top With Cinnamon Facebook page 😉 )
Wow, so yeah, hi.
Sorry bout that 2 week break, I could bore you to TEARS with complaining about the fact I have my AS exams coming up in a month, and all I’ma be doing is revising (and making food) but I know that that is SO DULL.
So lets just not think about that okayyy?
(and I’ve got a lot of photos of popcorn for you so you’d better be ready)
I’ve been full on taunting people with this popcorn for a month, I think, on instagram;
mostly because I literally spent a week making it every day after school, trying to perfect the technique of coating the popcorn with the caramel whilst not letting it burn and then having to scrub a lot of pots.
As you can imagine,
I ate a lot of popcorn that week. I had to give it a break before I was ready to get back into popcorn mode again.
(I…I didn’t really know how to .gif the popcorn…so I just…dropped/threw it…).
For most of my life I’ve been stuck making plain popcorn because I can’t find techniques which get things to stick to the popcorn, without making it soggy or involving a heck tonne of butter.
So far, I’m loving this kettle corn thang where you add a little sugar to the pot whilst it’s cooking;
firstly you get caramelised popcorn and secondly, you can get all the additional toppings to stick to the hot caramel 😀
I am mad into the cheddar cheese and caramel popcorn combo, and it makes me sad that I can’t recreate the cheddar popcorn at home so have to spend minimum £3.50 at Whole Foods buying a pack to lug home.
Plus it’s like “Hah, sure GH Cretors, ~8 servings per bag. Yeah, we’ll see about that *eats half a pack in one sitting*”
So then it’s back to Whole Foods.
Which means I’m inevitably going to be drawn towards the grind-your-own-nut-butter section in with all the bulk grains and end up spending another £7 on pecan butter and flaked coconut.
Man, that place…it’s just too tempting (Hello free bread samples. Yes, I will eat ALL OF YOU)
Ahh okay, so enjoy the recipe, lemme know what you think and if you have any ingenious popcorn making techniques (…I don’t have a microwave though, so don’t make me sad with all your cool microwave popcorn…I’ve been through enough having to look at everyone’s delicious-looking 1 minute microwave mug cakes )
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- ⅓ cup popcorn kernals
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup shredded coconut (plus a little more for sprinkling at the end)
- ¼ cup semisweet/bittersweet chocolate, melted (or 1 quantity of Chocolate Drizzle - see below)
- In a large pot (which has a lid), melt the coconut oil over a high heat, until you can see it start to smoke slightly.
- Add the popcorn kernals and put the lid on. Shake gently until you hear it juuust start to pop then take it off the heat and remove the lid. Sprinkle the sugar over the kernals as quickly and evenly as possible. Replace the lid and return the pot to a medium-high heat. Shake the pot back and forth continuously until you can hear some MAD popping going on. Remove from the heat for a few seconds, still gently shaking the pan, and return to the heat again (still shaking!) until the popping has slowed down.
- Immediately remove the lid and pour the popcorn onto the sheet tray. Without waiting, sprinkle the coconut and then the salt over the hot popcorn (DON'T TOUCH IT, ITS COVERED IN CRAZY HOT CARAMEL).
- Drizzle the melted chocolate (or Chocolate Drizzle) over the popcorn (I put it into a ziplock bag, and cut off the very tip of one corner, to use as a piping bag). Sprinkle over some more coconut now if you want. Let the chocolate set (I just put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes and it was fine) and then eat ASAP because it doesn't keep well. (You can eat it warm with the chocolate all melty, buuut you WILL get chocolate allll over your hands...and probably face, too)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 heaped tsp golden/maple/agave/corn syrup or honey
- Melt the coconut oil, stir in the cocoa and syrup.