Samoa Popcorn (Chocolate, Coconut and Caramel)

Samoa Popcorn-title

(Just a mini reminder in case you didn’t catch it last week – I’ve made a Top With Cinnamon Facebook page 😉 )

Samoa Popcorn

Heh

Wow, so yeah, hi.

Sorry bout that 2 week break, I could bore you to TEARS with complaining about the fact I have my AS exams coming up in a month, and all I’ma be doing is revising (and making food) but I know that that is SO DULL.

So lets just not think about that okayyy?

(and I’ve got a lot of photos of popcorn for you so you’d better be ready)

Samoa Popcorn-ingredients

I’ve been full on taunting people with this popcorn for a month, I think, on instagram;

mostly because I literally spent a week making it every day after school, trying to perfect the technique of coating the popcorn with the caramel whilst not letting it burn and then having to scrub a lot of pots.

Samoa Popcorn

As you can imagine,

I ate a lot of popcorn that week. I had to give it a break before I was ready to get back into popcorn mode again.

popcorn drop

(I…I didn’t really know how to .gif the popcorn…so I just…dropped/threw it…).

For most of my life I’ve been stuck making plain popcorn because I can’t find techniques which get things to stick to the popcorn, without making it soggy or involving a heck tonne of butter.

So far, I’m loving this kettle corn thang where you add a little sugar to the pot whilst it’s cooking;

firstly you get caramelised popcorn and secondly, you can get all the additional toppings to stick to the hot caramel 😀

Double win

But

Samoa Popcorn-113

I am mad into the cheddar cheese and caramel popcorn combo, and it makes me sad that I can’t recreate the cheddar popcorn at home so have to spend minimum £3.50 at Whole Foods buying a pack to lug home.

Plus it’s like “Hah, sure GH Cretors, ~8 servings per bag. Yeah, we’ll see about that *eats half a pack in one sitting*”

Cry.

Samoa Popcorn

Samoa Popcorn

So then it’s back to Whole Foods.

Which means I’m inevitably going to be drawn towards the grind-your-own-nut-butter section in with all the bulk grains and end up spending another £7 on pecan butter and flaked coconut.

Man, that place…it’s just too tempting (Hello free bread samples. Yes, I will eat ALL OF YOU)

popcorn throw!

Samoa Popcorn

Ahh okay, so enjoy the recipe, lemme know what you think and if you have any ingenious popcorn making techniques (…I don’t have a microwave though, so don’t make me sad with all your cool microwave popcorn…I’ve been through enough having to look at everyone’s delicious-looking 1 minute microwave mug cakes :( )

Samoa Popcorn (Chocolate, Coconut and Caramel)
2 tsp coconut oil
1/3 cup popcorn kernals
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup shredded coconut (plus a little more for sprinkling at the end)
salt
1/4 cup semisweet/bittersweet chocolate, melted (or 1 quantity of Chocolate Drizzle - see below)
Before you start making this - get out a large cookie sheet, prepare all your ingredients and read through the recipe.

In a large pot (which has a lid), melt the coconut oil over a high heat, until you can see it start to smoke slightly.

Add the popcorn kernals and put the lid on. Shake gently until you hear it juuust start to pop then take it off the heat and remove the lid. Sprinkle the sugar over the kernals as quickly and evenly as possible. Replace the lid and return the pot to a medium-high heat. Shake the pot back and forth continuously until you can hear some MAD popping going on. Remove from the heat for a few seconds, still gently shaking the pan, and return to the heat again (still shaking!) until the popping has slowed down.

Immediately remove the lid and pour the popcorn onto the sheet tray. Without waiting, sprinkle the coconut and then the salt over the hot popcorn (DON'T TOUCH IT, ITS COVERED IN CRAZY HOT CARAMEL).

Drizzle the melted chocolate (or Chocolate Drizzle) over the popcorn (I put it into a ziplock bag, and cut off the very tip of one corner, to use as a piping bag). Sprinkle over some more coconut now if you want. Let the chocolate set (I just put it in the freezer for about 10 minutes and it was fine) and then eat ASAP because it doesn't keep well. (You can eat it warm with the chocolate all melty, buuut you WILL get chocolate allll over your hands...and probably face, too)

Chocolate Drizzle
2 tbsp coconut oil
4 tsp cocoa powder
1 heaped tsp golden/maple/agave/corn syrup or honey

Melt the coconut oil, stir in the cocoa and syrup.

Comments

My friend from Vermont introduced me to samoa cookies the other week and I’ve been obsessed ever since. I’m attempting to make my own this weekend. This popcorn looks awesome. I always have a nightmare getting coatings to the right consistency for popcorn but testing it out is so much fun.

Haha I know right. And I literally think making popcorn should be a science in itself. I need to take a popcorn making course :)

I havn’t tried the pecan butter yet but it’s on my list! I’m totally due for a Whole Foods run though.
    Lovin’ the gifs.
    xo

3. Karin says

I just have to say that I was lucky enough to eat what was left of this when I got home from a looooong day of work at the library, it cheered me up no end! Another perfect treat for a proud Mom!

The popcorn looks/sounds fantastic Izy! Anything w/ chocolate and caramel is like heaven in my mind. And you don’t have a microwave?? Why? Haha
    My mom has always been a microwave queen… Not because she can’t cook but just bc she loves them. I’m not so obsessed but still get shocked when I learn about people who don’t own one. :)

Thankss :)) hahahah I know, we’ve just never really…needed one! There was this one time we lived in a rented house for like 6 months in between moving. It had a microwave.
      I ate popcorn at least 3 times a week. No joke. And hot chocolate just constantly.

5. Arielle says

OMG – I love that GH Cretors popcorn, too! My Whole Foods has been out of it for a while. But your popcorn sounds amazing! My last attempt at kettle corn resulted in a majorly scorched mess, so I need to try it again! :)

It’s way too good. Aww no! Mine hasn’t had the caramel one in a whole so I have to just hoard packets of the cheese one until I can get mah hands on the caramel. Then it just a popcorn free for all.

Yeah it’s difficult to get the timing right! I’ve burned sooooo many batches of kettle corn!

6. Cassie says

Wow! YOU HAVE FOUR OVENS?!?!??!
    haha and these look amazing. Were you ever a girl scout? I was, and I hated selling cookies. Although I love eating them.
    GONNA MAKE THIS- and happy easter!
    btw microwaves arent that great- and I heard that using one often is not good for your health ?(with all them heat wave things and stuff)
    LOVE YOUR BLOG :D:D:D

Heheh yep, 4 :)))) best thang evarrrr
      Nah I’m in the UK where the closest you get to Girl Scouts is being a brownie, which I wasn’t, and they don’t even sell cookies or anything :(
      Haha I think it would be bad for my health to have a microwave because all I would do would be make microwave mig cakes ALL THE TIME!!

I have absolutely no helpful popcorn-making tips to offer. I did, however, just try Garrett’s in Chicago for the first time in this week, and their famous Chicago mix is the cheddar and caramel combo! And here I thought they were being original. Didn’t know it was a “thing”…yep, that was singularly unhelpful. Off to expand my waistline some more with this stuff….nom…

AHAHAH well I think they came up with it… It’s normally called Chicago mix so.. :/ but I can seriously eat that stuff ALL DAY SON

No way can I handle this. Samoas are my addiction and now I have to go eat half of my box. (Why are there so FEW in each box? Why?!) And also I need to make this popcorn.

9. Cheri says

When I want kettle corn type popcorn, I just add sugar/xylitol to my oil before adding the popcorn and it comes out sweet. This works both in the microwave and in a pot on the stove.

Like you, Izy, I wish there was a healthy way to make the delicious cheddar kind, as it is my definite favorite!!

YES!! :) that’s the method I just discovered! It works so well (once you get the hang of not letting the sugar burn haha)

It totally is the best, *le sigh

Oh god, THIS. I just realized I never commented on it! Dude, really. I love popcorn, but I LOVE samoa cookies. I can’t even begin to comprehend what would happen if I had the two combined, right in front of my face. I would feast myself to death.

Also, Alanna of The Bojon Gourmet did a post recently on caramel popcorn, and she actually put the whole tray of popcorn in a 200° (F) oven for an hour after she tossed it in the caramel to dry it out. I soooo want to try that with my sriracha popcorn, because it def got pretty sogtastic after a little while. If an oven trip is all that needs to happen to avoid mush popcorn, oh man, the possibilities!

Hahah man, I haven’t commented on your most recent post either, shall do that ASAP!! Believe me I ate so much popcorn it was actually insane, cos it just expands SO MUCH. I was like “oh yeah? 1/3 cup that’s nothing”. I was wrong. In popcorn terms that’s a million cups of popcorn.

I’ve made caramel corn once and used that method! It’s pretty good but so scary cos the caramel gets super hot and you have to keep flipping the popcorn :O burnt hands occurred. But YES I’d never thought of using the method to dry out other popcorn toppings!!!! Must try that out :)

Yum! I made Orangette’s caramel popcorn, added some curry powder to the caramel before baking, then drizzled with chocolate and sprinkled in coconut for a contest last year. Had a hard time leaving enough for the contest! Yours looks so good, and the gifs make me hungry.

12. marion says

just tried it and it’s sooooo good!!!! we only have salted pop corn here in sweden so I was beyond excited when i found this recepie! thank you sooo much!:D

13. Myra says

I put 1/3 cup Red Hot Cinnamon Candies in with the oil and kernels. I can eat the whole batch myself.

Trackbacks