Single-Serving Soft Pretzel

April 9, 2013 · 74 comments in Bread and Yeast Doughs

Single-Serving Soft Pretzel

I think when I try to keep up with everything too much, I end up metaphorically falling over. Turning into basically – a turtle – on it’s back trying freaking hard to flip over and carry on, but majorly failing.

This is what happens when revision, 1000+ items in your feedly, food blogging, instagramming and having a social life collide, haha,

and this, currently, is my life.

Single-Serving Soft Pretzel

When you’re too busy to even think about the ways in which you’re busy, it’s nice to be able to just stand in the kitchen for a while and make something for you, and only you to enjoy.

For that period of time, everything is focused on just making

and by the end you have yourself a hot-from-the-oven soft pretzel (..well in my case you do).

Flour dust1

Dip1 Sesame1

Thankfully, the SNOW from last week has stopped, and it’s warming up, here in London, making going out actually enjoyable! Plus OMG the light. It’s just…like, endless or something.

6pm? Yeah sure, you can still take photographs.

:O

Loving it so much.

Single-Serving Soft Pretzel

Probably as much as I’m loving these pretzels! I’ve made them a few times over the past few weeks, tweaking the recipe here and there, hopefully making it just right.

It’s never gunna be as good as one you knead for ages, and leave to rise a few times for a couple of hours,

but it’s damn fast, and deliciously satisfying when you’re having a calorie crisis in the middle of the day.

Single-Serving Soft Pretzel

Okay, so I’ve tried a few different toppings (they’ll be in the recipe, dw)

But the one thing I never get is

Why does everybody make them with dipping sauces?

Can you enlighten me? I’ve never eaten a pretzel with some kind of magnificent cheese sauce; it sounds awesome, but to be honest, I just want to eat the pretzel warm, maybe with some butter or cream cheese

I dunno..

Do what you wish! Sauce, no-sauce, they’re super tasty and easy to make

and I think that’s all I want at the moment.

Single-Serving Soft Pretzel

- one pretzel with salt has around 150 kcal, 0.7 g fat, 29g carbs (4g fiber), 5.5 g protein

- this is basically no-knead (or minimal-knead haha) and only has a 15 minute rise.

-If you want the pretzel super shiny (like the main pretzel in these photos) then brush with egg yolk after it’s been dipped in the baking soda solution, and before you sprinkle on the toppings

- Don’t bake them on parchment paper. Unless you grease it like a crazy person. It sticks. I know.

Single-Serving Soft Pretzel
1/3 cup (45g) whole wheat bread flour, plus a little more for shaping (you can use all purpose, whole wheat or strong here)
pinch of sugar
generous pinch of salt
1 tsp active dried yeast
3 to 4 tbsp warm water
for dipping/coating:
1/2 cup warm water, 1 tsp baking soda (and 1 egg yolk, if you want it to look shiny)
toppings:
coarse sea salt, cinnamon-sugar, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, rosemary

In a small bowl, combine the first 4 ingredients. Stir in 3 tbsp of water first. If the dough is SUPER dry, then add a little more water and mix again.

Pour the entire contents of the bowl out, onto a lightly floured work surface and sprinkle with flour

Knead gently until the dough comes together into a ball - it'll be slightly sticky - it should only take 1 or 2 minutes.

Shape the dough into a roughly 20" rope. Make the rope into a U shape, twist the ends over each other and fold them down over the base of the 'U' to make a pretzel shape (see the .gif below)

In a shallow dish, combine the water and baking soda (from the dipping ingredients). Dip the shaped pretzel into the mixture and flip to coat completely. Transfer to a well-oiled baking sheet. (If you want a shiny pretzel, brush it with egg yolk now).

Immediately sprinkle over your topping(s) of choice. Leave in a nice warm place to rise whilst you preheat the oven to 450 degrees F (225 degrees C) - for about 15 minutes.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until darkly golden.

Eat immediately.

Cassie | Bake Your Day April 9, 2013 at 2:20 pm

This is fabulous! I remember catching a glimpse of you making this on IG. I love the recipe!

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:13 pm

thanks Cassie! haha yep, I kept putting pics of them up :/ but the recipes finally here now! :)

Alaina @ Fabtastic Eats April 9, 2013 at 2:21 pm

This is wonderful! Love single serve recipes! :) And I can totally relate to being a turtle on its back right now..I feel like I can’t keep up either! Hang in there!

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:16 pm

thanks Alaina! me too, stops..overindulgence… :) haha thank you!!!

Dana April 9, 2013 at 2:23 pm

brilliant, gorgeous, tasty, gotta-have-it. Bravo, friend!

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:16 pm

thanks Dana!!

Sophie {The Cake Hunter} April 9, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Genius! I made pretzels a few weeks ago…with a dipping sauce (I love to dip) but there were so many of them I didn’t know what to do with myself so single serving pretzel sounds awesome. Beautiful photos as well.

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:17 pm

haha, yeah that’s the problem isn’t it? TOO MANY BAKED GOODS when you’re a blogger! :) thank you

Sandra April 9, 2013 at 3:20 pm

ohhh this would taste like heaven! *-*
I’m still in love with your .gif and all the stuff you use to take the pictures like marble, wood…!! :D

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:17 pm

thanks Sandra!! :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar April 9, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Bah! I looooove this idea!!

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:18 pm

thanks Katrina :D

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough April 9, 2013 at 3:31 pm

LOVE homemade pretzels, but I always make too many and inevitably have to freeze some or *gasp* throw them away, so this is a great idea. Hang in there with all the things, lady! I hope it calms down soon.

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:19 pm

EXACTLY and I always feel super guilty having to throw food away :/ espesh if it required lots of effort to make :( Thanks Stephanie :)

Carolina April 9, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Ohh lovely! I allways eat prezels but now I can bake them myself!
Thank you, thank you!!! (and beutiful pictures!)

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:19 pm

haha, no problemo Carolina! and thanks :)

Elvira April 9, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Hey friend! These pretzels are like jewels….beautiful photos. Love, love, love them!

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:20 pm

thanks so much Elvira! :)

Maria@pinkpatisserie April 9, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I’m a pretzel freak.. Love the idea of just making one, as I would be tempted to eat waaaaayyy too many. Can totally relate to the turtle on it’s back thing. Hang in there!

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:20 pm

me tooooooo, pretzels are just the best!! thank you :)

Ashley April 9, 2013 at 4:05 pm

AMAZING. I’ll have to bust these out for my husband sometime. He loves soft pretzels! (so do I, but the whole gluten thing…) I’m with you on the sauce debate. No sauce here! A hot pretzel with salt on top doesn’t get much better. Or, my 2nd favorite, cinnamon + sugar. :)

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:22 pm

yay thanks lady :) aww man, you need to start working on a gluten free pretzel recipe! yesssss cinnamon + sugar is THE BESTEST

Emily Marthick April 9, 2013 at 5:09 pm

What a coincidence but I made pretzels today too! But those pesky ones that take multiple long rising times. Brioche pretzels to be in fact. Oh lawd so heavenly, still however super excited to that this single serve option you have laid before me in blog from. So snazzy. I also totally understand the better lighting in London at the moment! Tho weather been freakin’ crazy!

/Emily

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:24 pm

wow well they sound incredible (I keep seeing Deb from Smitten Kitchen’s brioche choc chip pretzels and dying because they look so freaking delish). I know right, its ridiculous; it’s like:
sun, rain, hail, snow, sun, grey.
haha, oh London, you’ll never have normal weather :’)

Megan @ For the Love of Cookies April 9, 2013 at 5:13 pm

A single serving miracle! I love this!

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:24 pm

thanks Megan!! :)

Katherine April 9, 2013 at 6:13 pm

First, love your purple nail polish. Second, thank you for this perfect portion recipe!! Third, beautiful baking. The crust on this pretzel is exactly what you want a pretzel to look like.

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:25 pm

wooh thanks Katherine! (I still have the nail polish on…I need to put a new colour on today I think)

Katherine April 9, 2013 at 6:14 pm

First, love your purple nail polish. Second, thank you for this perfect portion recipe!! Third the crust on this pretzel is exactly what you want a pretzel to look like.

Erika April 9, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Love this! I suppose it wouldn’t be as good if you didn’t use bread flour for the actual pretzel dough? Sad. But omg cheese sauce…normally I can take or leave cheese sauce but if you’re not against oozy melty processed cheese, Wetzel’s Pretzels has an amazing cheese pretzel and the dipping sauce only adds to the amazingness. Can’t wait to make these for my boyfriend and his grad school mates!

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:26 pm

thanks Erika!! You can use anything you want tbh :)
I’ve been turned off cheese for the moment…I ate a grilled cheese and it made me feel SO ILL like omg, I can’t even look cheese in the face atm haha but maybe one day…

Nathalie April 9, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Such a good idea. Great. Yumm-yumm. Will try tomorrow and see if it stops me from being a turtle. Or hamster. Or whatever. Love your blog!

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:27 pm

thanks Nathalie! I hope it turns you back into a human :)

Eva | Adventures in Cooking April 9, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I have been feeling similarly overwhelmed lately too. Juggling work, blogging, social media, and real life social outings has been kind of…insane. But just hanging out in the kitchen in the garden and making the things that you like really does help bring back some inner peace :)

As for the pretzels, they sound (and look!) wonderful and I love that they’re fast and easy to make! I don’t need dipping sauce with mine, either. Just a simple sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar is my favorite serving style for soft pretzels :)

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:29 pm

yes exactly! Too much life happening right now. it really does, it’s like crafty mediation
Cinnamon sugar is deffo THE way to go :)

Andrea April 9, 2013 at 9:47 pm

That’ great, for one w/little mess

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:29 pm

thanks Andrea!

Sarah April 10, 2013 at 1:47 am

Oh you – you and your single lady treats! Bless your tireless work in the area of midnight craving satiation.

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:29 pm

ahahah, and I won’t stop! :)

Irina @ wandercrush April 10, 2013 at 2:02 am

Isn’t the long daylight amazing? I still remember it getting dark at 4pm… definitely not the best for food bloggers trying to photograph their dinner! Anyway, this recipe is perfect and I plan on trying it soon. Cheers from a fellow single-lady Londoner!

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:30 pm

exactlyyyy! ITS SO NICE now :) Thank yahs

Julianne @ Beyond Frosting April 10, 2013 at 6:23 am

Oh fun! A single serving pretzel, that’s fantastic!

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:30 pm

thanks Julianne!

thelittleloaf April 10, 2013 at 7:55 am

A single serving pretzel is genius! Although I’m pretty sure I’d want two once I’d tasted that deliciousness :-)

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:31 pm

hahah well you can see that I made 3..
yeah I wanted too many flavours :/

carey April 10, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Man oh man, this knowledge could be dangerous in my hands. I love soft pretzels WAY too much! I am more than happy to eat them plain, but I do also love a sweet & spicy mustard dipping sauce for them on occasion. (Thinking about pretzels and dipping sauces reminds me of this time my mom was picking me up from college, and we decided to stop by the mall before heading home. I had a craving for soft pretzel bites with mustard, and we grabbed some from a pretzel stand in the mall. I paid, turned around, took half a step, and somehow lost my grip on the pretzel cup, and they went flying across the mall floor. Then some REALLY loud middle-aged Italian guy came running over, lamenting how horrible it was that I dropped all of my pretzels, and started badgering the poor pretzel stand girl to give me more for free. She just stood there just kind of shaking her head and saying sorry, and he would not leave her alone. I was so embarrassed by the whole situation that I finally mumbled, “really, it’s totally cool, I don’t even want pretzels anymore,” and dragged my mom away before he could say anything else.)

Also, just so you know, I am becoming obsessed with the idea of a pretzel cafe. It would be like a bagel cafe, but better. There would be all sorts of toppings, toasted pretzels with cream cheese, PRETZEL SANDWICHES — omg.

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:34 pm

HAHA sorry!!! Any hot bread product will literally be devoured by me in seconds if there’s nothing stopping me (like even though I had to take photos of these, I managed to EAT ONE before because I was so hungry, and had to re-make it…).

OMG that is hilarious :’) I can just imagine that Italian guy hahahaha

Yeah, I know it totally needs to happen. So does a bagel cafe.
OMG CAN WE MAKE HOT PRETZEL SANDWICHES PLEASE?

Chelsey April 10, 2013 at 3:53 pm

So single serving recipes are always super exciting to me, but I must say this is THE BEST thing I’ve ever seen. THE BEST. I can’t control my excitement. Thank you!!

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:34 pm

thaaaank you!!!! :)

Vendela April 10, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Amazing photos!

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:35 pm

thanks vendela!

Genevieve April 10, 2013 at 10:18 pm

I’m full on revising at the moment too, definitely sympathise with the need to take an indulgent break just for you!! I had to reign in the baking a little as it was all getting a bit too fattening since only 2 of my housemates are about these last few weeks as it’s technically uni holidays (not much of a holiday though if they stick exams right after it). But then today I got given a (very belated) birthday gift of a biscuit press/icing pen!! Very exciting. Baking ban is definitely over. Do you have one? I’ve been researching recipes all evening instead of working, oops.
Good luck with the revision and exams, I’m sure you’ll do brilliantly :)
P.s. your outfit in the .gif looks super-cute :)

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:37 pm

oh man, my brother’s back from uni atm, so its just making me do the opposite – I bake ALL THE THINGS and im like yeah ye’ll totally eat it all (which he doesn’t)
That sounds pretty awesome, I don’t have one :( but I agree – stop the baking ban – the new kitchen gadgets just need to be used!!
Thank you! You too :)

Joshua @ SlimPalate April 11, 2013 at 4:46 am

Yay you started doing step by step photos! I love the motion shots, they look great!

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:38 pm

hah not really, I just did them instead of .gifs to save on bandwidth hahah :’) but thanks!

Not Only Sugar April 11, 2013 at 11:00 am

Che bella l’idea delle mani infarinate..

Not Only Sugar

Bec Dickinson April 12, 2013 at 2:06 pm

yay! such a quick pretzel recipe! :)
can’t wait to whip this bad boy up!

Izy April 13, 2013 at 1:38 pm

thanks Bec! :)

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe April 14, 2013 at 9:04 pm

This is super fabulous! I can’t wait to make one of these bad boys for me, myself, and I!

Li @ Words and Cake April 22, 2013 at 11:54 pm

You are a genius. I will be trying this today.

foodie@foodieportal.com April 29, 2013 at 2:31 am

I love your pictures and recipes. I’d like to inform you of a great new website http://www.foodieportal.com. I would like to invite you to come and join us and share your wonderful pictures with us. We are simply foodies and we are not photography snobs, so picture perfection is not important, all we care about is delicious food.

Kristin May 5, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one with 1000+ blog posts to read !! It’s kind of overwhelming, ha, but there are so many great blogs out there — including yours! :)

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl June 1, 2013 at 6:52 pm

“Make Soft Pretzels” is on my list of things to do. It’s actually been there for a few months. But I was overly worried because I don’t want to make a big batch because I know I will eat 6 a day. This solves everything!

masa August 31, 2013 at 2:22 pm

does this REALLY have to be eaten right away? o_o i want to make one(or two) in the morning to take with me for lunch to school…:D

sana November 3, 2013 at 7:52 am

i don’t know what it was, but i’m sure it was the yeast, it just tasted off. kind of embarrassing on my part because i made it for someone at a dinner party because they did not eat sweets. not sure what i did wrong :(

Romaine September 21, 2014 at 1:41 am

My 12 y/o son made this; it was so good (better than the ones I made a few months ago, i must confess), that he wanted to make a “batch” and managed to make 12, still turned out terrific! He had over-sprinkled the coarse salt on the one I chose, so I ate it dipped in honey, which was delish! Yup, there were a few leftover for the morning and they were not as good; must be eaten fresh and warm from the oven! Thanks so much!

Dee November 6, 2014 at 6:56 am

Oh, my word!!! I moved to Japan 15 months ago, and have had the strongest craving for soft pretzels ever since! They are no where to be found! This is amazing! As soon as I get home I am making 12 of these! Okay, maybe not 12, but you get the idea.