Wholegrain Lemon Poppy Seed Layer Cake {and Spenser Magazine}

Wholegrain Lemon Poppy Seed Layer Cake

So, a few weeks ago I was asked if I would contribute to the re-launch issue of Spenser Magazine with an interview type thing and a recipe!

Of course I said yes!

Wholemeal + Oat, Lemon-Poppy Seed Layer Cake-5

and so came about this Wholegrain Lemon Poppy Seed Layer Cake (my first time shooting a layer cake too!!) because as we all know, I am a die-hard fan of lemon cake.

It’s got oats, whole wheat flour, wheat germ and buttermilk in it, and it’s layered with an awesome lemon-cream cheese frosting! Yummmm :)

Anywhooo, you can read it all online fo’ free, and get the recipe HERE! (and be sure to subscribe to their mailing list so you know when the next, lovely issues are coming out too 😉 )

Wholemeal + Oat, Lemon-Poppy Seed Layer Cake-41

Wholegrain Lemon Poppy Seed Layer Cake

Wholemeal + Oat, Lemon-Poppy Seed Layer Cake-66

Hasta luego, lovelies

Izy, that frosting job on the top of the cake is just WOW! Can’t wait to read your interview and the recipe–I love the seedy looking inside of that gorgeous cake!

Thanks Erika 😉 I can’t frost cakes very well so I have to just go for swirly/ ‘rustic’ frosting every time hahah

Congrats on the Spenser feature!! What a great interview (and a ridiculously awesome cake)! It still amazes me that I used to loathe the combination of lemon and poppy seeds. Now I love the flavor and the crunchiness, and I just can’t even imagine how I could have possibly hated it.

Also, I hope you had a great Easter!! 😀

Thanks Carey!! I used to absolutely hate lemon desserts, but now lemon glaze is. My. Life. So good with the poppy seeds :))

You too! i was drooling over your menu that you put up on your blog!! But yes I did indeedy, ate lots of chocolate (that basically ensures it’ll be a good day) haha,

Thanks so much Eva :) I used an offset spatula – you use it to make a c shape, starting at the edge of the cake moving into the centre and just repeat, working your way around the whole edge of the cake (I found the method from Naomi at Balers Royale on her banana dulce dw leche cake)

3. Joshua @ Slim Palate says

Madam lemon dessert strikes again! Congrats on the feature in Spenser’s mag, so cool.