Healthy 3-ingredient Chocolate Fudge Sauce (no added sugar, vegan, GF)

Healthy 3-ingredient Chocolate Fudge Sauce (no added sugar, grain free, vegan, gluten free)

Question

Did I drink 3 frappucinos today?

Answer

Question

Do I feel weird and shaky? Is it really hard for me to sit still right now?

Answer

Yes….aaaand yes.

(Maybe I shouldn’t have done that you guys. But it’s so hot. and I just wanted to cool down, and I added the ice to the blender and then suddenly had like double the amount that I had intended to make)

Question: Did I add this fudge sauce to said frappucinos to make mocha frappucinos?

Answer

fudgesauce

but actually,

See, fudge sauce has uses other than ice cream drizzling. To me, they are 5-fold:

Mocha frappucinos or milkshakes

Dessert time but want pancakes –> pancakes with fudge sauce = a legitimate dessert, okay. I said so.

Making a quick bread or pound cake –> layer some of that fudge sauce all up in the batter (and swirl it a bit too) =  best marble cake you’ll ever eat. Done and done.

Tortillas + melted butter + cinnamon-sugar –> cut into chips –> bake –> eat with fudge sauce = sweet nachos.

Fudge sauce –> fold into whipped cream –> chill = easy mousse.

I told you.

Ohhhhhh wait, waittttttt there’s one more

Healthy 3 ingredient Fudge Sauce-43

Cold fudge sauce in a jar + spoon –> eat = so flahrgen good.

• Basically, I made this as an easy thing for breakfast sundaes (…yep) , so to make it more decadent (getting into more dessert-y grounds) add:
    • a pinch of maldon salt and
    • 2 tsp vanilla extract.
  • It turns into a thick pudding consistency when refrigerated. Re-warm it (add a little more liquid if needed) to get it back to a saucy consistency.
  • I strained my sauce through a mesh sieve after making it, but that was mainly because I wanted it to look smoother for the photos
  • I used around 7 small dates for this recipe
  • use chocolate for a better flavour, or cocoa for a lighter version.

1/3 cup (50 g) pitted dates (i.e. measured once pitted)
1/2 cup (125 ml) almond or cashew milk (you can use regular milk instead - obvs isn't vegan then)
1 oz (15 g) unsweetened baking chocolate (or 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder)

Put dates and almond milk into a blender, blend together until smooth.

Pour into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, continue to cook whilst stirring over a low flame for 5-10 minutes, until thickened.

Remove from the heat, stir in the chocolate (or cocoa powder) until melted and incorporated.

Transfer to a sterilized glass jar. Serve warm, refrigerate and eat cold, or re-warm.

Comments

• lalala says

Did you say……chocolate C ARAMEL???!!
        I WOULD LOVE THAT RECIPE –
        too risky for me to eat stuff with sugar anymore,
        but naturally occurring sugars are fine.
        Thank you.

• Bob says

Naturally occurring sugar is, well, sugar. Once your digestive system and liver convert it to glucose, your body can’t tell the difference. Too much sugar is a major problem regardless of the source. Stop fooling yourself. Use stevia or other natural non-sugar sweeteners instead. Indulge in real sugar (natural or otherwise) only on special occasion. Your body will thank you for it.

• Amanda says

I’m glad you’re here to educate. All these ‘natural’ and ‘healthy’ gurus who just fill their recipes in dates and honey are absolutely deluding themselves. Sugar, is sugar. Your body won’t go “Wow, this came from a natural source!” and process it different. A diet high in fructose is one of the most dangerous diets in the world, you overwork your pancreas, sending all kind of mixed messages to your liver, which stimulates cholesterol production.

• Marie says

Oh my goodness, I’m s9o happy to learn about what this does to cholesterol, thank God I read this!!

• Eve says

Hi, actually date are really a better choice than sugar. Here what Dr Gregger said about it on http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-dates-good-for-you/ (it’s a serious preventive medicine website) :
            “Dates are whole foods, but, by weight, are 80% pure sugar. Just to put that in perspective. Froot loops, are only 40% sugar. Half the sugar content of dates—and has fruit-shaped marshmallows, so it’s got to be healthy. Straight frosting? Only 60% sugar. And jellybeans? Only 70% sugar. Dates: 80%.
            Yes, dates have fiber, they have phytonutrients, but the concern about consuming high sugar foods is that they can raise our blood sugar, raise our triglycerides, oxidatively stress our bodies, and make us fat. So, last year Israeli scientists took a bunch of people, stuffed them full of dates for a month and measured what happened.
            Are dates bad for us? Does the sugar and fiber kinda cancel each other out? Or are dates good for us?
            Dates are fantastic. No adverse effects on blood sugar or weight, and beneficial improvements in triglycerides and antioxidant stress levels. Check out the title of this review: possible best food? Concluding that “dates, may be considered as an almost ideal food.”…
            As an aside, one date scored significantly better than the other. They’re both good, but one’s better. Medjool or the smaller and sweeter halawi dates? Without a doubt, halawi’s better.”

To see any graphs, charts, graphics, images, and quotes to which Dr. Greger may be referring watch the video.

Woweee, super chocolatey and healthy enough for it not to hamper bikini-body efforts!
    Those pictures are beaut AND I so love all your ideas of using the sauce :D
    x x

This is GOOD! I love dates and I love using cocoa more than chocolate and this fudge looks brilliant. I have to make this, YES!

LOVE this fudge sauce! No-guilt and super chocolate-y… omg this is like my version of heaven. And honestly I NEVER thought about all those ways to use chocolate fudge sauce; you’re a total genius. :) By the way, thank you for eating breakfast sundaes… makes me feel a little less guilty about those chocolate-in-my-breakfast days. What is your breakfast sundae made out of lol?

thank you!! haha its so good, I was eating it straight out of the pan!
      No problemo, I am here to make people jealous of my food, I think.. (that is what I’m here for right!? ) I made it with banana ice cream, almonds and fudge sauce :)))

I laughed so much when I read this post as I’m sitting here feeling the same jitters due to excessive Sunday intake of caffeine. Same excuse too, oh so hot, I’ll just have another frap, followed by some vegan mocha icecream. The raw cacao alone is enough to set me going…beware if having it in your sauce at night if you want a sound sleep.

haha you read my mind–I went through your list of 5 things and I was like “giiiirl, how did Izy miss the best one of all??” Never mind, I should’ve known better :) yum yum. spoon to face time!

oh. my. gosh. girl, i would marry you. but i would probably cheat on you with this fudge sauce, so scratch that. anyway, YOU ARE AMAZING! i’ll say it once, i’ll say it again, i’ll say it into eternity.

I’ve never tried a frappucino, maybe something i really should for the summer?!
    Probably gonna try this fudge, maybe for the weekend and make some chocolate mousse :D

This looks amazing – reminds me of raw brownie dough or raw brownie truffles I sometimes make with Medjool dates, cocoa powder and maldon sea salt. So decadent yet so healthy – and it never occurred to me to thin it out a bit with some liquid to use as a sauce but am now totally doing that! Thanks for the idea!

Hey Izzy I tried it today, didn’t have any measure cups so just went with my feelings, I used 8 dates, hazelnut milk that just covered them and 2 teaspoon of cocoa powder. And god it tastes so good!!
    Thank you for the recipe, love it!

10. Eva says

Izy… just found your blog. Put cinnamon in a name and i’m on, even in the the Netherlands, where your blog would be named “bedek-met-kaneel” :) Now, about the chocolate fudge sauce, it looks soooo good! I was wondering, do you know what the shelf life (or better, fridge life, but I don’t know if that’s a proper English expression?) would be? I was thinking of using it as a healthy nutella on my toasted bread… and it would be nice to make a small jar and last a week with it. Thanks for the receipe! Love from the Netherlands, Eva

You could probable serve the doughnuts with the sauce, but it doesn’t really ‘set’ like a glaze does so would make them soggy if you left them for a while. But other wise, yeah! Go for it :)

11. Cecilia says

WOW!!! This sauce is just perfect :)! I have a 2.5-year-old daughter and so am always on the lookout for healthy recipes to ensure she eats well. This is especially challenging when it comes to desserts for the obvious reason that they pretty much all contain a lot of sugar. But here is the solution: a DATE-based chocolate fudge sauce – I’d never have imagined it could taste so good! I made this for dessert tonight and served together with sugar-free coconut ice cream (http://www.insonnetskitchen.com/sugar-free-coconut-vanilla-ice-cream/) and halved bananas, and both me and my daughter thought it was absolutely delicious! As did my partner who I don’t think even realised it didn’t have any sugar ;). Thank you so much for posting this extremely tasty and useful recipe!
    Cecilia

12. Kelly says

This stuff is like liquid gold! I’ve made it twice since I found on Pinterest and It’s delic! I have mine over vanilla coconut milk ice cream with nuts…sundae-like…yum! Thank you, thank you!

I just made this to take to an afternoon lunch and I had fresh strawberries, pineapple and black grapes to dip in the chocolate sauce, Everyone loved it.

14. Natalie says

I LOVE YOU.
    SO SO SO HARD.

But seriously.
    I was prepping myself for this to be another “easy, healthy, and delicious chocolate blah blah blah” recipe, which should really be called “Yes I’m Easy & Healthy, But I Only Taste Good If You’ve Never Tasted Chocolate & Are Lacking All of the Taste Buds.”

Thank you so so so so much from the bottom of my bottomless chocolate loving heart for not only not disappointing, but for actually exceeding my expectations!

Also, to whoever it was that referred to this as “liquid gold”, I second that.

15. Camille says

This sauce is so amazing and super easy! I made it then covered bananas and topped with nuts and coconuts. The best healthy desert ever! Everyone in my family loved it! Even my picky sugar loving sister. It also impressed my stepmom whose favorite desert is chocolate covered bananas. Will definitely be making this again and again. It’s already requested from my stepmom for her birthday! Thank you so much!

16. Lisa says

OMG I made this and OMG. YUMMMMM
    I used unsweetened almond/coconut blend milk (Almond Breeze) and it added a slight… well… coconut hint to it.
    Thank you for saving my chocolate syrup life :)

17. Marie says

I never saw an answer to the how long will it last in the fridge question. Maybe I missed it.
    I would like to know that also please. Thanks.

18. Marie says

Also did you say you hsd a caramel recipe using dates? I would love to see that one if you wouldn’t mind sharing it. Thanks.

19. sherry says

Love it love it. Next try chopped dates in boiled milk with pinch of cinnamon great on a very cold day as today really warms the tummy.

Trackbacks

1. […] Pear Frozen Yogurt Makes about one litre ice cream 3 very ripe medium packham pears, peeled, cored and cubed 1 tbs lemon juice 1 cup milk (evaporated, low fat, whole whatever you like) 1 1/2 cup low fat natural yoghurt 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk 1 tsp vanilla extract 2 tbs kirsch or vodka, or any other liquor handful of candied walnuts (optional) wafers, cones, chopped nuts, to serve healthy chocolate fudge sauce (recipe via Top With Cinnamon) […]