Healthy 3-ingredient Chocolate Fudge Sauce (no added sugar, grain free, vegan, gluten free)

May 4, 2013 · 67 comments in Ice Cream,Snacks,Uncategorized

Question

Did I drink 3 frappucinos today?

Answer

Question

Do I feel weird and shaky? Is it really hard for me to sit still right now?

Answer

Yes….aaaand yes.

(Maybe I shouldn’t have done that you guys. But it’s so hot. and I just wanted to cool down, and I added the ice to the blender and then suddenly had like double the amount that I had intended to make)

Question: Did I add this fudge sauce to said frappucinos to make mocha frappucinos?

Answer

fudgesauce

but actually,

See, fudge sauce has uses other than ice cream drizzling. To me, they are 5-fold:

Mocha frappucinos or milkshakes

Dessert time but want pancakes –> pancakes with fudge sauce = a legitimate dessert, okay. I said so.

Making a quick bread or pound cake –> layer some of that fudge sauce all up in the batter (and swirl it a bit too) =  best marble cake you’ll ever eat. Done and done.

Tortillas + melted butter + cinnamon-sugar –> cut into chips –> bake –> eat with fudge sauce = sweet nachos.

Fudge sauce –> fold into whipped cream –> chill = easy mousse.

I told you.

Ohhhhhh wait, waittttttt there’s one more

Healthy 3 ingredient Fudge Sauce-43

Cold fudge sauce in a jar + spoon –> eat = so flahrgen good.

• Basically, I made this as an easy thing for breakfast sundaes (…yep) , so to make it more decadent (getting into more dessert-y grounds) add:
    • a pinch of maldon salt and
    • 2 tsp vanilla extract.
  • It turns into a thick pudding consistency when refrigerated. Re-warm it (add a little more liquid if needed) to get it back to a saucy consistency.
  • I strained my sauce through a mesh sieve after making it, but that was mainly because I wanted it to look smoother for the photos
  • I used around 7 small dates for this recipe
  • use chocolate for a better flavour, or cocoa for a lighter version.

1/3 cup (50 g) pitted dates (i.e. measured once pitted)
1/2 cup (125 ml) almond or cashew milk (you can use regular milk instead - obvs isn't vegan then)
1 oz (15 g) unsweetened baking chocolate (or 1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder)

Put dates and almond milk into a blender, blend together until smooth.

Pour into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, continue to cook whilst stirring over a low flame for 5-10 minutes, until thickened.

Remove from the heat, stir in the chocolate (or cocoa powder) until melted and incorporated.

Transfer to a sterilized glass jar. Serve warm, refrigerate and eat cold, or re-warm.

Belinda @themoonblushbaker May 4, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Wow this is so easy, why has no body though of adding Chocolate to dried fruit paste before? Such a wonderful alternative.

Izy May 15, 2013 at 4:51 pm

thanks! I don’t know, I just randomly thought of doing it after making my date caramel before! :)

lalala June 4, 2014 at 8:10 am

Did you say……chocolate C ARAMEL???!!
I WOULD LOVE THAT RECIPE -
too risky for me to eat stuff with sugar anymore,
but naturally occurring sugars are fine.
Thank you.

Bob July 17, 2014 at 3:04 am

Naturally occurring sugar is, well, sugar. Once your digestive system and liver convert it to glucose, your body can’t tell the difference. Too much sugar is a major problem regardless of the source. Stop fooling yourself. Use stevia or other natural non-sugar sweeteners instead. Indulge in real sugar (natural or otherwise) only on special occasion. Your body will thank you for it.

Amanda August 25, 2014 at 12:45 am

I’m glad you’re here to educate. All these ‘natural’ and ‘healthy’ gurus who just fill their recipes in dates and honey are absolutely deluding themselves. Sugar, is sugar. Your body won’t go “Wow, this came from a natural source!” and process it different. A diet high in fructose is one of the most dangerous diets in the world, you overwork your pancreas, sending all kind of mixed messages to your liver, which stimulates cholesterol production.

Gemma @andgeesaid May 4, 2013 at 2:14 pm

OMG. Dates. youuuuuuu genius!!!

Izy May 15, 2013 at 4:51 pm

hehe thanks Gemma!

Hannah @ All-Purpose and Semi-Sweet May 4, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Thanks for the sneak peek on Instagram a few days ago…definitely worth checking back for the recipe! I can’t wait to try this…P.S. I love what you do here

Izy May 15, 2013 at 4:52 pm

haha, thank you :)

Melinda @cookingalamel May 4, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I really need to use dates more – I always have a huuge bag stashed away in the fridge, but I don’t use them nearly as much as I should. This looks fantastic – as usual!

Izy May 15, 2013 at 4:52 pm

they’re so good, I don’t know why I’ve only just started using them now! thanks Mel

Ibbs May 4, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Woweee, super chocolatey and healthy enough for it not to hamper bikini-body efforts!
Those pictures are beaut AND I so love all your ideas of using the sauce :D
x x

Izy May 15, 2013 at 4:52 pm

exactlyyyyy! :) thank you

Kankana May 4, 2013 at 4:45 pm

This is GOOD! I love dates and I love using cocoa more than chocolate and this fudge looks brilliant. I have to make this, YES!

Izy May 15, 2013 at 4:53 pm

thanks so much! Yes you do!!

Billy May 4, 2013 at 7:16 pm

I just don’t even know what to say. I mean, what the hell Izy? Why you gotta be so awesome?

Izy May 15, 2013 at 4:54 pm

BECAUSE I AM THE GIF WIZARDDDD
haha, no but seriously, thanks Billy, you’re awesome-er :)

Alexandra @ Confessions of a Bright-Eyed Baker May 4, 2013 at 7:32 pm

LOVE this fudge sauce! No-guilt and super chocolate-y… omg this is like my version of heaven. And honestly I NEVER thought about all those ways to use chocolate fudge sauce; you’re a total genius. :) By the way, thank you for eating breakfast sundaes… makes me feel a little less guilty about those chocolate-in-my-breakfast days. What is your breakfast sundae made out of lol?

Izy May 15, 2013 at 5:32 pm

thank you!! haha its so good, I was eating it straight out of the pan!
No problemo, I am here to make people jealous of my food, I think.. (that is what I’m here for right!? ) I made it with banana ice cream, almonds and fudge sauce :) ))

Rachel Vagabond Baker May 4, 2013 at 9:01 pm

This sauce looks incredible! Oh my! then you expose it as being healthy, why you clever deviant!Naughty but very very nice :)

Izy May 15, 2013 at 5:33 pm

thank you! haha, preeeeccisely!

Sarah Crowder May 5, 2013 at 1:33 am

This sounds amaaaaazing. I also eat pancakes for dessert. Pancakes or sometimes cereal. Lotsa breakfast for dessert over here…

Izy May 15, 2013 at 5:34 pm

thanks Sarah! ahhh yes I love breakfast desserts, or even breakfast dinners :)

Sally May Mills May 5, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I laughed so much when I read this post as I’m sitting here feeling the same jitters due to excessive Sunday intake of caffeine. Same excuse too, oh so hot, I’ll just have another frap, followed by some vegan mocha icecream. The raw cacao alone is enough to set me going…beware if having it in your sauce at night if you want a sound sleep.

Izy May 15, 2013 at 5:38 pm

hahah good good :) Im glad im not the only one with caffeine jitters!

Ala May 5, 2013 at 6:45 pm

haha you read my mind–I went through your list of 5 things and I was like “giiiirl, how did Izy miss the best one of all??” Never mind, I should’ve known better :) yum yum. spoon to face time!

Izy May 15, 2013 at 5:39 pm

hahaha, yep, that’s deffo the best one! ;)

gingergirl May 6, 2013 at 10:38 am

oh. my. gosh. girl, i would marry you. but i would probably cheat on you with this fudge sauce, so scratch that. anyway, YOU ARE AMAZING! i’ll say it once, i’ll say it again, i’ll say it into eternity.

Izy May 15, 2013 at 6:04 pm

ahahaha thanks girl! :)

Sherri @The Well Floured Kitchen May 6, 2013 at 12:10 pm

This looks great! Dates are an interesting choice of thickener.. I’m surprised there is such a small amount of chocolate.

Lauren May 6, 2013 at 4:25 pm

This looks delicious! I love recipes that are both healthy AND easy! What a cool gif you have there too. :-)

Felicia May 6, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I’ve never tried a frappucino, maybe something i really should for the summer?!
Probably gonna try this fudge, maybe for the weekend and make some chocolate mousse :D

Rebecka May 6, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Well, somebody knows how she is gonna spend her night. Except the part with the physics book, it’s gonna be lovely.

Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today May 7, 2013 at 12:10 am

I love your pot. And recipe as well – three ingredients – easy and delicious.

Sophia May 7, 2013 at 2:50 pm

This looks amazing – reminds me of raw brownie dough or raw brownie truffles I sometimes make with Medjool dates, cocoa powder and maldon sea salt. So decadent yet so healthy – and it never occurred to me to thin it out a bit with some liquid to use as a sauce but am now totally doing that! Thanks for the idea!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan May 8, 2013 at 2:15 am

Oh you’re killing me! But not really, because I need a spoon to eat this out of that jar, pleaseandthankyou

Toni May 8, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Hey Izzy I tried it today, didn’t have any measure cups so just went with my feelings, I used 8 dates, hazelnut milk that just covered them and 2 teaspoon of cocoa powder. And god it tastes so good!!
Thank you for the recipe, love it!

Courtney @ BakeMeBetter May 9, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Wow. Healthy fudge sauce. Genius!

Chris May 15, 2013 at 7:41 pm

AMAZING. Oh my God. TRY THIS.

Eva May 18, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Izy… just found your blog. Put cinnamon in a name and i’m on, even in the the Netherlands, where your blog would be named “bedek-met-kaneel” :) Now, about the chocolate fudge sauce, it looks soooo good! I was wondering, do you know what the shelf life (or better, fridge life, but I don’t know if that’s a proper English expression?) would be? I was thinking of using it as a healthy nutella on my toasted bread… and it would be nice to make a small jar and last a week with it. Thanks for the receipe! Love from the Netherlands, Eva

Amy May 27, 2013 at 8:40 pm

yum, yum, yum! Even my picky 5 year old loves it as pudding! Perfect, healthy treat.

Katherine May 28, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Love your idea of sweet nachos. Very clever with the dates! Will definitely have to try this recipe.

Jaclyn May 30, 2013 at 2:43 am

so is that like 80 photos in one?? amazing!

Elisabetta June 10, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Yum! making this right now for breakfast along with your banana bread ice cream! keep on veganizing the recipes ;)

Tee June 12, 2013 at 4:00 am

I love your cookware! What kind of pot are you using?

Tali October 9, 2013 at 6:35 am

Hi, how long would it last after making it in the fridge?

Thanks

Bianca November 29, 2013 at 11:35 am

Random idea: how about dipping baked doughnuts (donuts?) into the sauce? Just wondering if it’ll possibly work. :)

Izy November 29, 2013 at 1:38 pm

You could probable serve the doughnuts with the sauce, but it doesn’t really ‘set’ like a glaze does so would make them soggy if you left them for a while. But other wise, yeah! Go for it :)

Cecilia January 1, 2014 at 8:32 pm

WOW!!! This sauce is just perfect :) ! I have a 2.5-year-old daughter and so am always on the lookout for healthy recipes to ensure she eats well. This is especially challenging when it comes to desserts for the obvious reason that they pretty much all contain a lot of sugar. But here is the solution: a DATE-based chocolate fudge sauce – I’d never have imagined it could taste so good! I made this for dessert tonight and served together with sugar-free coconut ice cream (http://www.insonnetskitchen.com/sugar-free-coconut-vanilla-ice-cream/) and halved bananas, and both me and my daughter thought it was absolutely delicious! As did my partner who I don’t think even realised it didn’t have any sugar ;) . Thank you so much for posting this extremely tasty and useful recipe!
Cecilia

Kelly February 14, 2014 at 3:21 am

This stuff is like liquid gold! I’ve made it twice since I found on Pinterest and It’s delic! I have mine over vanilla coconut milk ice cream with nuts…sundae-like…yum! Thank you, thank you!

denise fullman May 8, 2014 at 7:24 am

Thanking you so much, I have Just made 2 batches of this wonderful fudge sauce. So many uses , <3

k2_cat August 10, 2014 at 8:29 am

I just made this to take to an afternoon lunch and I had fresh strawberries, pineapple and black grapes to dip in the chocolate sauce, Everyone loved it.

Natalie August 26, 2014 at 10:47 pm

I LOVE YOU.
SO SO SO HARD.

But seriously.
I was prepping myself for this to be another “easy, healthy, and delicious chocolate blah blah blah” recipe, which should really be called “Yes I’m Easy & Healthy, But I Only Taste Good If You’ve Never Tasted Chocolate & Are Lacking All of the Taste Buds.”

Thank you so so so so much from the bottom of my bottomless chocolate loving heart for not only not disappointing, but for actually exceeding my expectations!

Also, to whoever it was that referred to this as “liquid gold”, I second that.