Apricot Salsa Quesadillas

Apricot Salsa Quesadillas

So I came home from school early today, and it was lunch time plus I’d woken up at 6 to write some super scary biology essay about antibiotic resistant bacteria (Jeez you guys, superbugs are cray. Promise me you won’t misuse or overuse antibiotics, ‘kay?) so I was insanely hungry.

Now usually, for lunch I go for something with eggs because I want some protein to hold me over for the next few hours, but today I really wasn’t feeling it. That’s when I spied some mini tortillas in the fridge.

I was initially going to make some kind of flat bread type thing. Like chop up some basil and tomatoes and throw it on there with cheese, then shove it under the grill. Then I realised if I just put some bell pepper in there, it would start getting Mexicany, and a memory of quesadillas (from like 2 years ago, literally.) popped into my head and I decided to go with it.

I’d never made a quesadilla before this.

I’d never read a quesadilla recipe (not that I can remember anyway)

I don’t even think if I’ve even pinned a picture of a quesadilla (which also made styling this kind of a shot in the dark)

and only ever had them a handful of times, but I just remember them being TOTALLY ACE and that was enough to make me want one right then + there.

Apricot Salsa Quesadillas

I just went with the flow of things, using the basic flavour profile that I imagine they had: tomatoes, bell pepper, Mexican spices, onion and some lime juice (I was considering adding apple cider vinegar, but spied the half lime on the counter and thought it was more appropriate).

Then

another memory came up.

Apricot Salsa Quesadillas

You know how Whole Foods is like a food sample Mecca? Yeah, well one time, they had this pineapple salsa sample that was utterly fab (great story Izy..great story..).

We didn’t have pineapple

buttttt

we did have fresh apricots! The acidity/sweetness of which I think of as kind of similar to pineapple. SO IN IT WENT.

Quesadillas-16

Cheese was a must, of course

so that got sprinkled onto the tortilla that I dry fried in the skillet

and thus, I made a quesadilla.

Apricot Salsa Quesadillas

So this is why, when you read this recipe, it’s probably not anywhere like a traditional quesadilla (I mean, I’ve googled them now, and… I cooked the salsa.. :/ soo… ).

and I’m sorry if that harms your quesadilla loving hearts (seriously, the instagram of this was basically as popular as my chocolate chip cookie one, so I now think of everyone as quesadilla lovers) but I literally don’t care because it was so good that I think all quesadillas from now on should contain fruity, cooked salsa.

(p.s. If you did see the instagram picture of it, I HOPE YOU LIKED THE PUN. I laughed at it for about 10 minutes. Alone.)

(p.p.s the chocolate chip cookie recipe is also coming this week)

Notes

– Instead of using an apricot, try out other fruits like 1/2 a peach, 1/4 cup diced strawberries or 1/4 cup diced pineapple, orrrr you can leave the fruit out.
– I served my quesadilla with sour cream and some chopped cilantro + basil + some lime zest
– You can totally add cayenne, tabasco, sriracha or chili pepper to the cooked salsa
– Okay, I’ve made the name plural ‘Quesadillas’ but this makes one quesadilla, but it’s pretty simple to just double the recipe and make multiples if you want.

Apricot Salsa Quesadillas
2-3 tomatoes (depending on size)
1 fresh apricot, de-stoned (see notes)
1/2 green bell pepper
1 shallot
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
juice and zest of 1/2 a lime
3 tbsp grated Red Leicester or Cheddar Cheese (or some other cheese)
2 small tortillas

Peel, halve and finely slice the shallot.

Roughly chop up the tomatoes, bell pepper and apricot together to make a salsa.

Fry this in a small skillet with a little oil, along with the sliced shallot, cinnamon, paprika, lime zest and juice. Cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the shallot is slightly translucent.

If you're going to use this skillet to heat the tortilla, then remove the vegetable mixture to a plate and set aside, then clean and dry the skillet. Or, if you're just going to use a different skillet, just set the veg mixture aside.

Either way, heat a clean, dry skillet and place one tortilla into it. Sprinkle the cheese over the surface of the tortilla and heat on medium-low until the cheese melts and the underside of the tortilla is golden-brown. Quickly spoon the vegetable mixture over the cheesy tortilla, top with the second tortilla and carefully flip the whole thing over using a spatula. Cook until the underside of this second tortilla is golden brown.

Remove from the skillet and cut into wedges.

Comments

I LOVE your running commentary to this creation Izy, you’re so funny and down to earth, unlike other bloggers all up there on their high horses.
    This looks like such an awesome lunch, beating MR boring sandwich hands down! (And I imagine it working well with any other veg hanging round the back of the fridge…..)
    x x x
    {The Lobster & Me}

Haha thanks Ibbs! It was such a good lunch, one of the best I’ve had in a while :) ahahah I don’t even like cold sandwiches so I have to come up with other random things to eat with all the random veg :)

seriously Izy!? Do you have 25 hours in your day or something!? I will most certainly not be over doing the antibiotics, those super bugs and their craaazy mutations. This looks like…just like a thing of most epic beauty I can nae find words :D
    from Emily x

It totally felt like it yesterday! I had frees in the afternoon, so I got to come home at 1! It was crazyyyy :) GOOD! You’re saving the human race right there! It was so good :)

Ditto Ibbs. I find your writing hilariously entertaining and down to earth! And the colors. THE COLORS. I just love them! Also, I just made pickled onion salsa last night and I am totally digging in the sweet in Mexican. So good. Like your pun. You’re so clever ;)

Hehe thanks Erika! My camera kind of struggles with orange, so it was a bit of a challenge to shoot!

High five girl, thanks for the pun appreciation!

You may have been free styling it with the picture taking, but these shots turned out great! I don’t think I’ve ever seen such an artful quesadilla before (if that’s even a thing)

Also, I totally loved the pun :)

Izy,

You are fantastic! I’ve been reading your blog for a while but I’ve never said “hi.” Well, until now… HI!

Thanks for being such an inspiration blogger. :]

Thanks Jesse! I got some okay ones from sainsburys, but that’s part of the reason I used them in this, so I could cook them down a little and it wouldn’t make the salsa too sweet :)

Yeah, I like these a lot. I never think about making quesadillas but I really need to because there’s not a lot of things that aren’t improved by being smushed in a tortilla with some cheese and fried. Apricot sounds amazing.

OMG. Izy, these look INCREDIBLE! I have been on a Mexican food kick lately and cannot stop drooling over these. I have a special fondness for fruits and cheese, combining them in a toasty tortilla with spices and peppers sounds like my ultimate Mexican dish. Going to make these asap! Hoping I can still find some apricots at the store but if not I’m gonna try them with peaches. YUM.

Wow, they look amazing! Definitely one of the most mouth-watering savory recipes I’ve seen on any of my favorite food blogs for a while:) I also just can’t get over how amazing your photography is……….

This sounds crazy good Izy and so so perfect for the season. I love quesadillas but somehow I never make it at home. Wonder why! It’s so easy and we can always add such variety to it. You got me inspired girl! Beautiful photos btw, as always :)

quesadillas are one of my most favourite meals – they’re just so versatile and allow you to be creative! you’ve done a brilliant job here. they look exquisite.
    xx

Pretty much anything sandwiched between two crispy tortillas that are held together by delicious cheesiness is a quesadilla in my book! ;) These sound waaay more viably Mexican than what I will make on occasion (which usually involves some mushrooms that are nearing the too-old point, frozen corn, and a whole lotta cheese, all topped with an ungodly amount of Greek yogurt and cilantro). And I LOVE the idea of a fruit salsa. They are perfect with herbs and spicy pepper heat. Yes yes yes.

(Also, I can’t wait for that chocolate chip cookie recipe! They look ridiiiic.)

These quesadillas look so good! I like how you just went with it, throwing an apricot in because that was what you had lying around. Whenever I make quesadillas at home, they’re super boring. I just throw a handful of shredded cheese on a tortilla and fry it for a few minutes. It’s never very satisfying, as I’m sure you can imagine. I would much rather have this.

Hello! These look delicious. I’ve recently completed writing a book called A Thousand and One Happy Thoughts to Inspire the Soul, and I was wondering if you’d allow to include one of these photographs in the Foods chapter of my book. I recently got an agent who asked me to inlcude photos throughout my word document, and I absolutely love these! Please let me know!

Warmest,

Hanaa Hamad

You are so cool! I don’t think I’ve truly read
    through a single thing like that before.
    So good to discover someone with some genuine thoughts on this issue.
    Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up.
    This website is something that is required on the web, someone with a little originality!

Trackbacks