Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies

July 1, 2013 · 112 comments in Cookies

Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies (with herb-infused butter and fleur de sel) | Top With Cinnamon

It’s pretty hard to not fall into the boring food trap. There are always these pre-determined concepts for how recipes should be, or which flavours should be paired. Yeah, I get that they’re there for a reason.

Tried and true

blah blah blah

but there’s so much more potential!

Do you remember the whole balsamic + strawberry craze a few years ago? It’s a good combo right!? but still, I don’t think it’s common enough for it to be a ‘classic’. It’s accepted, but not overly used.

Then there are things like salt and chocolate, pairing the salty with the sweet. As we know, salted desserts are effing awesome, and hugely popular.

I for one, can also tell you that putting some cocoa powder into chile, pomegranate juice into a stew, or apricots into a quesadilla is a REALLY GOOD IDEA.

So when faced with a food that’s just a bit lack luster, go cray.

Simple as.

Don’t you always find chocolate chip cookie’s a bit ‘blah’ ? Heck yes that chocolate is going to taste good, but what about the dough?

For me, it’s normally leave-able. As in

I could eat the chocolate

and just leave the cookie part, to be honest.

The dough is a vessel to get molten chocolate into my face. That is all.

I think it’s not just me that feels this way because when the chocolate chip cookie recipe came out in the NY times last year (it was last year, right?) everyone was going mentallll over them!

One of the main reasons? Aging the dough, which developed the flavour and produced a cookie that had more depth than the Nestle Tollhouse recipe (btw, has the Tollhouse recipe ever worked for anyone? I always get super flat greasy cookies. Such a fail).

Then there was the whole browned butter phase, and let me tell you, I still brown butter for 50% of things I make, because it’s just another way of giving food a liiiiittle bit more zing.

If you think about it, it’s a bit strange how in baking we use so much less flavour enhancing ingredients. When you cook, you add salt + pepper, a myriad of condiments, herbs and spices. Whereas for baking, it’s usually vanilla, cinnamon, almond or fruit. Sometimes there might be some anise or cardamom. But that’s about it. You might experiment with cayenne in chocolate cookies once, but it’s never going to become a regular addition.

and I think that by using that logic, I’ve finally cracked it:

My perfect chocolate chip cookie.

I thought I’d reached perfection a few months ago, when I made these bittersweet chocolate chip cookies, but by changing one little thing this time, I improved them even more!

They have all the things I would ever want: Soft, chewy middle, loads of molten chocolate shards, crisp edges a flavourful cookie dough base (that is deffo not leave-able) and, ofc, some salt on top!

I was asked by Lacoste to make a recipe based on the scent notes in their new L.12.12 Noir cologne, which included dark chocolate, Egyptian basil and verbena.

It made me think about how if they worked together in a scent, why not in a food?

I wasn’t going to go and make a chocolate pesto or anything, I knew it’d need to be more subtle, so the herbs would just do their job to boost the other flavours.

Sooo when I was browning the butter for chocolate chip cookies, I added chopped basil and verbena (which has a gentle lemon flavour) to the saucepan, then strained them out. I was left with this lightly scented butter, that when added to the cookie dough just gave it SO much FLAVOUR!

It wasn’t like *bites into cookie* “HELLOO BASIL”,

it had a herby undertone that simply worked. I asked people to guess what they thought I’d put in it, and literally no one could guess, but they loved them. And so did I, and you probably most def will too, if you make them!

BEST COOKIES EVER

aaand I’m out.

• If you don’t have verbena, sub it for the zest of half a lemon, and add to the butter whilst it’s browning
  • You can sub the fancy salt for a scant 1/2 tsp of table salt in the dough, however you can’t use table salt for sprinkling so either use the fancy salt for sprinkling or just don’t sprinkle at all.
  • You can just use a 1/4 cup measure (which equals 4 tbsp), then roll the dough into a ball with your hands and slightly flatten into a hemi-sphere on the baking tray.

Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/4 cup (4 tbsp) fresh basil leaves
2 tbsp verbena leaves (see notes)
10 tbsp (5 oz / 140 g) butter
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup (230 g) all purpose flour (I used half whole wheat and half all purpose)
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
1/2 cup + 3 tbsp (140 g) light brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp kosher salt / fleur de sel* (plus more for sprinkling)
1 egg
7 oz (200 g) bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped (I LOVE either 85 or 70% - it's hard to find 60% in the UK, but you can use that or semi-sweet)

Roughly chop the basil and verbena then add to a small saucepan with the butter. Heat continuously it on medium-low on the stove until it foams up and smells nutty then stir in the vanilla extract. Leave to cool for 10 minutes, then strain it through a sieve (push through as much of the browned butter bits as poss though, you're just trying to take out the herbs).

Meanwhile, either in a stand mixer or a large bowl combine the next 6 ingredients (flour through to salt). Pour in the butter and mix until it looks like moist clumpy sand with no floury patches. Add the egg and mix in for a few seconds, then the chopped chocolate and mix until well distributed - but not for too long!

Using a 1/4 cup cookie scoop (see notes), scoop up some of the dough and smoosh it into the scoop until it's just full. Turn out onto a lined cookie tray, spacing each mound 3" apart (I managed 4 per tray). Repeat with all of the cookie dough. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for anywhere between 1 - 72 hours (the longer you wait, the better the texture and flavour!!!).

When ready to bake preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). When ready, sprinkle the cold cookie dough with fleur de sel and shove into the oven immediately!! Bake for 8-12 minutes, until browned, with set edges, and a puffy, soft center. Let cool on the baking tray for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) July 1, 2013 at 1:08 am

Love the salt on top and I’m totally intrigued by the infused butter!

Izy July 1, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Totally an essential part! It surprised me with how well it worked :)

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet July 1, 2013 at 1:11 am

This is one unique recipe for CCC and I love it! Can’t wait to try the basil verbena butter!

Izy July 1, 2013 at 9:38 pm

thanks Anna! It’s awesomeeee :)

Diane {Created by Diane} July 1, 2013 at 1:45 am

Oh these sure look like the best chocolate chip cookies ever, love the added salt. I will be dreaming of these all night!

Izy July 1, 2013 at 9:44 pm

thanks Diane! The salt is super good

Michelle @ Hummingbird High July 1, 2013 at 2:34 am

These look great! I totally hear you about how it’s strange that in baking, there really isn’t too much you can do to enhance the flavor of the ingredients. Have you heard of Thomas Keller’s chocolate chip cookie recipe for Bouchon Bakery? He adds just a touch of molasses, which works to enhance the chocolate flavor, as well as the nuttiness of the flour. I did a variation of the recipe here: http://www.hummingbirdhigh.com/2013/04/blog-cookies-new-column-bouchon-bakery.html and was really pleasantly surprised by the results.

Izy July 1, 2013 at 9:46 pm

thanks Michelle! :D Ooh I haven’t, but I think using brown sugar is kind of the same (although, I would probably add more molasses too like TK’s recipe, heheh), thanks for the tip :)

Lynn Chen July 1, 2013 at 3:02 am

Trying not to bite the screen.

Izy July 1, 2013 at 9:46 pm

hahah :)

Sarah | The Sugar Hit July 1, 2013 at 3:03 am

Yes yes and yes. The dough, yes. The chewy middles, yes. The crispy edges, yes. This is ALL YES.

Izy July 1, 2013 at 9:59 pm

eeexactly! Thanks Sarah! :)

angela@mykikicake July 1, 2013 at 4:06 am

Give me one now…Please =D

Izy July 1, 2013 at 9:59 pm

hah, would if I could, girl!

Alexandra @ Confessions of a Bright-Eyed Baker July 1, 2013 at 4:23 am

What a crazy cookie combo…. I definitely never expected the basil and verbena, but you totally have my curiosity piqued! The cookies look PERFECT (as I told you on Instagram haha). I agree with everything you said about flavoring baked goods and how it’s hard to figure out new flavor ideas all the time when you have cinnamon, vanilla, and… a few other things. Good thinking outside the box!!

Izy July 1, 2013 at 10:01 pm

super crazy! I usually don’t go for herby/flowery flavours in baked goods (just stick to vanilla ect), but I loooved it in these cookies :)

Nicola Galloway July 1, 2013 at 4:23 am

Wow, I would have never thought of pairing basil will chocolate, but will now. Beautiful photos :)

Izy July 1, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I think I’d only ever seen this pairing once before, but it’s deffo a keeper! Thanks Nicola

Malgosia July 1, 2013 at 6:01 am

Really? Because for me, the cookie part is the best and I often make them without chocolate chips!

Izy July 1, 2013 at 10:04 pm

yes omg, the cookie part is normally SO dull, I’d probably be better off eating raw cookie dough tbh, it usually tastes way better than when it’s been baked!! haha

Rachel @ Bakerita July 1, 2013 at 6:03 am

Mmm what an interesting idea! I definitely need to try this herb infused butter in cookies thing. And your cookies are gorgeous! Love those gorgeous chocolate chunks.

Izy July 1, 2013 at 10:04 pm

thanks Rachel :) It’s totally worth it!

Mimi @ Culinary Couture July 1, 2013 at 6:30 am

To answer your question, no the Tollhouse recipe has absolutely NEVER worked for me, EVER! I actually tried one of their cookies from a place in the mall and it was just as flat and greasy as the ones I made so maybe they just like theirs that way!

Izy July 1, 2013 at 10:05 pm

HIGH FIVE GIRL! Ahh yes, I feel validated now :)

Belinda @themoonblushbaker July 1, 2013 at 7:43 am

Of course! Herbs and spices are always the key ingredient in delicious food, so why not cookies? These look stunning with such lovely ripples of chocolate

Izy July 1, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Precisely! :) Thanks Belinda

Kathryn July 1, 2013 at 10:40 am

These are getting made this weekend – earlier if at all humanly possible. I seriously cannot wait to stuff several in my face.

Izy July 1, 2013 at 10:07 pm

hahah, get to it girl! :) Hope you like them

Katie July 1, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Gorgeous post. Need a good weekend to be able to bake again, so many wonderful recipes of yours that I have yet to try!!

Katie <3

Izy July 1, 2013 at 10:07 pm

aww thanks Katie!

Karen | Citrus and Candy July 1, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I’m all for the salt and brown butter. But omg herb-infused?? You are ah-mazing x

Izy July 1, 2013 at 10:09 pm

They are essentials in my life. Not going to lie. Thanks girl!! :D

carey July 1, 2013 at 2:55 pm

OOOOooooOOoOooooo!!!! HOW WILL I DO WORK TODAY WHEN ALL THE THINGS TO MAKE THESE ARE IN THE HOUSE?? (Sorry, that was a really long sentence to type in all caps…but that is how the question sounds in my head!) I remember seeing a recipe for thyme & sea salt chocolate chip cookies a couple years ago on DforB and thinking it was genius, but I believe there were just straight-up herb bits in the cookies. The butter infusion is the best idea, because you get those subtle herbal notes throughout the entire cookie. Man oh man. I am making and eating these for dinner, obv.

Izy July 1, 2013 at 10:12 pm

HAHAH sorry for the distraction! Yes! I remember seeing that recipe too, I think it was on the cover of Sated too (if I remember correctly!) I was jut kind of put off by the idea of having leaf pieces in my cookie/ kinda worried it would make the dough a weird colour :/ Strangely, when I was infusing the butter, it did go kind or green, but in the cookie dough, it didn’t affect the colour at all :) hehe, sounds perf

Sophie @ The Spotty Teapot July 1, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Oh wow, chocolate and BASIL???? I have never heard of mixing them before, and I never would have done it myself. But your cookies look so good, and if you say they are the best cookies ever, then surely I should try them out?
I really want cookies now, thanks ;)
x

Izy July 1, 2013 at 10:12 pm

heck yeahhh! Thanks Sophie, you should deff try them (ofc, I’m biased, but they were so gooood) :)

Kezia July 1, 2013 at 3:50 pm

They look incredible – you’ve completely sold them to me, which is a shame because I’m trying to eat healthy but not a shame because cookies are so delicious. I’ve been trying to play with some more unusual food combos recently – rosemary in lemon cake, smoked sea salt on EVERYTHING, strawberries and balsamic (not that unusual, but a bit more interesting than plain strawberries) etc. Thanks for the inspiration!

Izy July 1, 2013 at 10:18 pm

ahah, oh man, sorry!! Smoked sea salt = love. :)

Cassie July 1, 2013 at 4:29 pm

WOW! I always want to make up my own interesting combos, but I’m always afraid (and don’t want to waste stuff). But I guess to succeed, ya gotta make a few mistakes first :) )

Izy July 1, 2013 at 10:20 pm

I know exactly what you mean, it’s hard to be adventurous when you’re using 2 bars of high quality chocolate and reaaally don’t wanna waste them :/ But that is very true! :)

Bryce July 1, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Thank you for posting this recipe!! I’ve been anticipating it since the instagram post :) BASIL! Awesome!! I cannot wait to try making these–I absolutely love basil on almost anything (drinks and pizza especially), and lemon undertones? yum! I hope I can make these sometime this week!
As for the tollhouse cookies–they are my family’s favorite!! I’ve been making them with my mom since I was little and they are my go-to recipe! I have actually had them turn out flat and greasy before, so I know what you’re talking about. Do you make them in a stand mixer? If so, I highly recommend not doing that. When you over work the dough they turn out flat and greasy. I either do them by hand, or I use a hand mixer until I add the chocolate chips and/or nuts. I just use a wooden spoon after that. To me, it’s worth the workout. It makes me feel like I’ve earned the cookies afterward anyway ;)

Izy July 1, 2013 at 10:24 pm

hahah, no prob :) I loooove basil (I’m Italian by blood too, so you know, it’s a given)
I’ve made them both ways, stand mixer and by hand! I think it might be due to differences ingredients between the UK and US too. European butter tends to have a higher % of butterfat, and medium eggs here are the same size as large eggs in the US. That probably all contributes to the whole flat cookie stich, but they’ve just never everrrr worked for me (and believe me, I made them many mannyyy times trying to get thick cookies, without success :( ) Ahaha, that is the same for me, and with bread baking too: ‘If i knead this dough, that’s technically a workout sooo I can eat loads of bread, yes?’

Maddy July 1, 2013 at 8:27 pm

These. Look. Incredible. I love the idea of basil & chocolate together! And verbena, whatever that is. Cannot wait to try to make these!

Izy July 1, 2013 at 10:26 pm

thanks Maddy! They compliment each other so well :) Verbena is another herb! It’s subtly lemony, but not extremely common (well, not as common as basil) in the supermarket, so you can just sub it for a bit of lemon zest if you don’t have it

Maria@pinkpatisserie July 2, 2013 at 12:00 am

What a fascinating, amazing idea.. One that I would never think of, but you’re right. If it works somewhere else why not give it a go? Layers of flavors make just about EVERYTHING better!

Izy July 2, 2013 at 12:09 am

thanks Maria! I LOVE LAYERS! :)

Jennifer July 2, 2013 at 12:07 am

I might have to try this!

xo Jennifer

Izy July 2, 2013 at 12:10 am

heheh, deffo Jennifer :)

Robert Cafazzo July 2, 2013 at 12:12 am

Alright congrats, this threw me the Basil/Verbana thang! FYI, for the tradish Tollhouse recipe cut back by 1 1/2 tblsp of Buddah, (Think Harry Potter when he uses a diff formula for that potion and his comes out best) Also Allspice as an ingreed to recipes with nuts especially is a nice flava flave enhancer. Just sayin’, keep it rollin’ Neecie!

Izy July 2, 2013 at 12:15 am

ahahah :) I remember making Tollhouse cookies with you, and that’s the only time they’re ever worked! I think you’ve got the magic-cookie-making skills down! Thanks for the tips! I willll :) xx

Steph July 2, 2013 at 2:04 am

These look so amazing I am salivating like crazy! It probably doesn’t help that I’ve been avoiding chocolate biscuits for a few weeks now. I am totally fascinated with your addition of browned herb butter, so intriguing!

Izy July 2, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Ahh thanks Steph! I hadn’t had any chocolate biscuits in a whiiiiile before these, and they TOTALLY hit the spot :)

Monique @ Ambitious Kitchen July 2, 2013 at 2:33 am

Love. Absolutely love.

Izy July 2, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Yay! thanks monique :)

Nessa July 2, 2013 at 3:18 am

Such a terrific idea! Love, love, love the infused butter :)

Izy July 2, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Thanks Nessa! It’s super good :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar July 2, 2013 at 12:46 pm

These cookies are AWESOME! So lovely!

Izy July 2, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Heheh thanks Katrina! :)

Erica July 2, 2013 at 2:38 pm

The fact that you were inspired to make cookies by smelling a perfume is beyond fabulous. You go girl!

Izy July 2, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Ahaha thanks Erica, ofc it would be me that turns fragrance into cookies :/ cookie obsessed. Fo def.

Bec Dickinson July 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm

pure genius! love it and soooo gonna try it! :)

Elizabeth July 2, 2013 at 3:50 pm

These sound amazing! All the possibilities that infused butter brings is blowing my mind!!! You’re so ridiculously creative!

Also as far as Tollhouse cookies? You are soo right- the recipe never turns out amazing.. well that’s what i thought until i met my sister in law. She changed the recipe up a bit turning them into these unbelievable gobs of goodness. She upped the flour to 3 cups instead of 2.25. She uses margarine instead of butter and fake vanilla. She then uses a teaspoon to put huge blobs of dough onto the cookie sheet then proceeds to under bake them just a bit.. they are a slice of heaven.. seriously!

Anyhow. I love you. And your blog. You do amazing things at 17!

Aly July 2, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Izy, I just made the mix. It is sitting in the fridge as I write this and Icannot wait until these bake in the oven! I love your photos and recipes, so keep up the amazing work! Thank you <3

em July 3, 2013 at 3:18 am

can i just say… your blog gets better and better by the bloody minute.

Judy Myer July 3, 2013 at 8:22 am

Wow!! Chocolate Chip Cookies, my favorite. This looks really delicious!!!!!! You’re so awesome!! Makes me hungry right now, the chocolate is really melting. Ugh. Yummy.

Martha Garrard July 3, 2013 at 10:27 am

Chocolate chip cookies are that best cookies for me. They give off a wonderful smell and taste that kids and even adults love. Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe. Got to try making it soon.

Miriam July 3, 2013 at 3:43 pm

These look so tasty so yummy <3

Liva & Lulu July 3, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Wow, your photographing and storytelling is really breathtaking!

Thank you for being such a good inspiration, we love to follow your blog, it’s very different from the scandinavian ones we are used too :-)

Greetings from Denmark,
Lulu and Liva(dessertbloggers too)

Dina-Marie @ Cultured Palate July 4, 2013 at 5:00 am

I love chocolate chip cookies and so does my family – I can’t wait to try the basil and verbena (or lemon zest if I can’t find verbena)- sounds very interesting and looks yummy!

Tressie Richardson July 4, 2013 at 6:02 am

Great photos of the cookie. I can tell from the images that it is rich in chocolate and that it is kind of sweet. There’s a recipe though so those who want to try making it can just adjust the sweetness.

She July 4, 2013 at 7:14 am

Yum, I will be making these.

melanie July 4, 2013 at 4:25 pm

What a lovely and interesting pairing…what about an orange infused! orange and chocolate go wonderful together..I think that would be an interesting experiment. :-)

Heather July 5, 2013 at 5:54 pm

These really do look like the best chocolate chip cookies. Fabulous.

Demetria Provatas July 5, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Such a delicious take on a classic cookie! These photos are beautiful too – I love the setup.

Scott July 11, 2013 at 12:07 am

What lights are you using and with what modifiers? I love your photos and would love to pick your brain on a few things. Thank you!

Izy July 11, 2013 at 12:09 am

I only ever use natural light, and if by modifier you mean editor then I use Lightroom 4 and Photoshop CS5

Sophie July 11, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Guuuuuuuurl. I would never have thought about this, but it sounds freaking insane. I’m quite convinced you’re some culinary mastermind. Ferr reals.

Rosa July 15, 2013 at 11:40 am

Those cookies look amazing and totally irresistible! Your pictures are fabulous too.

Cheers,

Rosa

Lori July 24, 2013 at 3:48 am

The dough is delicious! I’m baking them tomorrow night and will update then.

Toni September 17, 2013 at 9:22 am

Well the kitchen smells amazing…
I divided the mix into two. one to cook in an hour and one in a couple days.
*tapping fingers* while I wait for an hour to pass.
Patient, I am not :)

Minji October 5, 2013 at 6:34 am

Oh my gosh, I baked these today and they are the best cookies I’ve ever tasted..
The hint of basil is so awesome!
Thank you so much for posting this wonderful recipe!
I can’t wait to try all your other recipes :)

Kathy November 29, 2013 at 3:30 am

Maybe I missed it but approx how many cookies does it make?

Izy November 29, 2013 at 6:57 am

14 to 16 ish :)

Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition December 7, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Izy! You are seriously so amazing! I’m in lovvveee with your blog. :) I’m a 16 year old blogger too, and you inspire me daily! Keep up the good work! PS Im making these cookies ASAP haha

Sharon December 17, 2013 at 7:38 am

These are so great! I made this last weekend and I’m totally blown away by how good they taste. I’m recommending it to all my friends!! :D By the way, for some reason my cookies didn’t spread as nicely as yours did :( they spread a little but ended up a little chunky looking. Do you know what might have caused it?

Bob April 29, 2014 at 7:58 pm

I’m too skeeerd to try it!!

Simone May 2, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Hmmmm, these are sitting in my fridge right now, and if they taste nearly as good cooked as they do raw, I’m in good shape. I found they are super super crumbly though, when trying to shape them into little cookie mounds – is this standard? I hope they turn out well, I’m still super stoked!

Izy May 2, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Don’t worry, sounds like it has the right texture! It’s a much more crumbly dough than usual choc chip cookie doughs :) Hope you like them

regan* May 16, 2014 at 2:01 am

I want these now. All I have is bread flour…is that a deal breaker?! Help! I got a craving.

Izy May 16, 2014 at 2:02 am

you can use the bread flour! don’t worry!!

Susan June 17, 2014 at 12:26 am

These look and sound insanely delicious! Instant new follower. Thanks for the inspiration – can’t wait to try these!