Buttermilk Pancake Layer Cake For 1 w/ Malted Frosting

No-Bake Buttermilk Pancake Layer Cake For One with Malted Pecan Buttercream

Blog-aversary.

Blog Birthday.

An excuse for cake.

Whatever you wanna call it

It’s been TWO YEARS!

No-Bake Buttermilk Pancake Layer Cake For One with Malted Pecan Buttercream

Two years of my ramblings, which apparently people like to read.

I’ve talked about wisdom teeth,

how my brain likes to remind me of embarrassing things I do when I’m trying to go to sleep,

burning my mouth on boiling hot juice,

how me and pop culture don’t mix,

computer crashes,

EXAMS,

and most importantly

food.

I can now totally get all emotional and gushy about this, because blogging has totally changed everything for me and I literally can’t imagine what my life would be like if I wasn’t doing this! I wouldn’t have discovered my passion for food photography, and I’m waaaay more creatively aware than I was 2 years ago. But then there’s also all  of your comments, tweets, likes and everything else. You’re all so supportive, kind and funny. So THANK YOU! It makes me want to dance like this, and send cupcakes in the mail to everyone.

No-Bake Buttermilk Pancake Layer Cake For One with Malted Pecan Buttercream

There are many more stories and facts for me to share, I’m sure. For today, I’m going to tell you about how I don’t like making layer cakes (which you may have noticed by the lack of layer cakes on this blog).

Really, even after 730 days, and over 100 recipes, I think I’ve only posted one recipe for a layer cake. It’s not like I don’t like cake, I love cake. Cake and me? Bahst frahnds.

But

a) I’m terrible at icing / decorating cakes

b) layer cakes are usually for celebration events for someone else so I can’t cut into the cake

c) layer cakes are also very big, and there’s only 3 people in this household soooo that’s a lot of cake to consume.

d) the cake layers always dome when they bake and leveling cakes is super messy (plus you have to wait for the layers to cool for A MILLION YEARS and I’m not a very patient person)

No-Bake Buttermilk Pancake Layer Cake For One with Malted Pecan Buttercream

Also baking multiple cake layers for a nice tall cake, when you only have two cake pans is pretty much the most annoying thing evar.

I ain’t cleaning that cake pan up just to use it straight away, again. Ugh.

Okay so I’ve found many faults with layer cakes.

However, this layer ‘cake’ seems to overcome quite a lot of those hurdles.

No-Bake Buttermilk Pancake Layer Cake For One with Malted Pecan Buttercream

It’s made with PANCAKES!

Which means, multiple layers within like 10 minutes (and no ovens so it’s no-bake!)

They’re all completely flat

They’re smaller so you can make MINI layer cakes.

(aghhhh so cute omg)

It’s a celebration basically for myself today and I don’t care if the cake has been cut.

It doesn’t over come the decoration thing, but there’s a whoooole lot less cake to frost + decorate there. (srsly, if you knew how long it took me to frost this cake, many people would lose faith in me as a baker)

See, the pancakes solve a lot of problems here.

No-Bake Buttermilk Pancake Layer Cake For One with Malted Pecan Buttercream

I  knew I didn’t want to make a layer cake for this blog birthday (because of the reasons above), and I’d been thinking about a pancake cake for quiiite a long time before hand (because I don’t understand how you can look at a stack of pancakes and not see it as a mini cake, c’mon). And then with Beth’s waffle cake last week (which I just looked at again, and now I realise it has cherries on top too.. so apparently I’m doing some subconscious decoration copying , okayyy…. :/ )  , it pushed me over the edge and I knew I would be making a pancake cake for today.

No-Bake Buttermilk Pancake Layer Cake For One with Malted Pecan Buttercream

Now, you can’t expect this to be like a normal cake. It’s just a stack of pancakes with frosting disguising it as a cake.

If you put the frosting on the pancakes whilst they’re still warm, it melts into a reaalllyyy good buttery sweet syrup to eat with them as you would maple syrup. Or you can do as I did and let the pancakes cool and then frost them in a stack.

Whatever you want, (wo)man!

No-Bake Buttermilk Pancake Layer Cake For One with Malted Pecan Buttercream

• I make my own pecan butter by toasting pecans lightly in a skillet until just fragrant. Then I blend them in a food processor with 1 tbsp of oil for a a few minutes, scraping down the sides of the blender bowl every now and then, until smooth + liquidy. It’s also AMAZING on toast w/ some maple syrup, or on yogurt with some fruit.
  • If you are a perfectionist (like I was for this cake) you can use a 2.5″ – 3″ round pastry ring to cut the pancakes once cooked, into circles all the same size

Buttermilk Pancake Layer Cake with Malted Pecan Buttercream

makes enough for two small, tall cakes

For the pancake batter:
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp oil (I used melted coconut oil)
1 tbsp agave syrup
For the frosting
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 oz powdered sugar
3 tbsp pecan butter (or v. finely chopped or ground pecans)
1/2 tsp vanilla bean past (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
2 tbsp malted milk powder
1-2 tbsp milk

Make the pancakes by combining the first 3 ingredients in a bowl. Make a well in the center and add the rest of the pancake ingredients. Stir together until just combined.

Pour heaped tablespoons of batter into a large, non-stick frying pan preheated with a little oil. Cook over a medium-low heat until bubbles form + burst on the surface of the batter. Flip the pancake using a metal spatula and cook on the other side until golden brown, then remove from the pan and transfer to a cookie tray. Repeat until all the batter has been used up.

Make the frosting by creaming all the ingredients together in a medium bowl. Add 1 tbsp of milk at first and if you need it, add the second tbsp.

Stack the pancakes, with layers of frosting in between, then frost the outside of the cake if you want too (I use a smooth butter knife to smooth it all out).

Comments

Congrats, lady!! You + this blog are so rad. I can’t wait to see where you are a year from now. Pancake-cake! YES! I have a 5 layered doughnut-stacked cake in the doughnut book! :) The frosting sounds phenomenal. Keep up the awesomeness! xo

thanks so much Ashley! WOW I’m sooo looking forward to getting my copy ahhhh, there will be doughnuts for DAYS 😀
      you too, lady xx

This is omg so cute. Mini cakes are the bomb. diggity.

And also I agree with ALL of your layer cake qualms which is why i have also never attempted a layer cake. THIS i can totes handle. I also have a mini cake stand which i bought based on its adorableness.

amaze-ness.

thanks Caitlin! They really are, it’s basically your own cake. 8 slices of cake? all for me? HELLO.
      Ahhh yes those mini cake stands, they’re always one of those things that catch my eye!!

Happy second blogiversary, Izy!!!!

So…umm….this cake totally blows my mind. (Like, there has never been a more appropriate use for this gif: http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/mind_blown.gif) You’ve basically embraced the pancake’s natural state (being piled up one on top of the other to the freakin’ SKY) and then made it a million times more awesome, which I never could have dreamed possible!! How will I eat normal pancakes now? Now that I know that there could be frosting?? Ahhhhh! You go girl. Here’s to many more years of blogging! (:

Thank you Carey!! + special thanks to you for so many of your hilarious comments with all of those stories :) Your comments are pretty much my FAVES to read heheheh

AHAHA, love that .gif so much :) Ikr, there are so many frosting possibilities too ahhhh my mind is meltinggg.

yayyy, happy 2 years with your blog Izy. I can’t believe it has been that long already. I’m the same with you and layer cakes! Malt and pecan combo sounds amazeeing. Keep doing your thing girl! We’ll support you foh shoo as long as you keep bringing out these creative recipes of yours! xx

thanks Irene!!!! I know, it’s crazy to think it’s been TWO YEARS already.
      Malt and pecan are suchhhh good flavour partners :)
      heheh, so much love for you :)

I’ve been an avid reader eversince! You inspire me everytime I read your posts! Although not all the time i would leave a comment. Happy Birthday and lots pancakes, i mean birthdays to come!

Hahaha! You are all sorts of wonderful and talented and I am so glad to have had the opportunity to watch your blog and your skills grow. Happy anniversary dear! Here is to many, many more…

Yayyy happy two years TWC!! I love that you used pancakes. SO CUTE. And totally less annoying. I agree layered cakes can be a bit slow, painful and messy. I used to have to bake the layers one at a time cos I only had one tin until a few weeks ago so I totally get it. Anyway happy birthday to your lovely blog, the internets is lucky to have you :) xx

Thanks Steph 😀 you are literally The Cake Master though, seriously jelous of your cake-making skills! ONE TIN!? what the what. You must have the patience of a goddess, damnnnn gurl xx

thank you Karen 😀 I’m so happy to hear that, Citrus and Candy has always been one of my top sources of inspiration!

It basically means there’s now another way to legitimately eat cake for breakfast 😉

Happy Blog-Birthday!
    You’re celebration cake looks amazing! What’s better than pancakes and pecans? Nothing omg.
    You’re blog not only changed your life entirely, it changed mine too. You’re recipes and your wit/humour are amazing to read and you’re so inspiring – every post motivates me to write a new post of my own. Thank you for being Top With Cinnamon for 2 years, and I hope you have amazing years to come! :-)

Thanks Fabienne!
      Exahctleh, just missing some maple syrup hahah
      Awww that’s so sweet, I’m so happy to hear that girl! I’m sure I will, and you will too 😀

Happy blogday Izy! Here’s to many many more years of your ramblings, gifs, spectacular photography and mind BLOWINGLY awesome recipes! You go, girl! That cake looks supercalifragilisticexpialidocious;)

PAN CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE 😀
    Totally awesome idea, and yes, layer cakes are way over rated! Stick to what you love, and you can’t go wrong
    x x x

Oh, good lord. Pecan butter? Seriously, I’m like drooling everywhere. GAHH. I have the same relationship with layer cakes as you do… I can’t decide if I love them or hate them. The cuteness of this pancake cake is KILLING MEHHHH! I must make one. Like tomorrow. And eat it for breakfast.

Happiest Blogaversary! Two years is such a lovely accomplishment and this cake is just too amazing for words. Why shouldn’t icing and pancakes go together? Cheers to you and to many, many more years of blogging awesomeness!

What a perfect way to celebrate! A mini cake made of pancakes and frosting sounds AMAZING. Such a great idea! I was drooling over Beth’s waffle cake, too. Y’all are so creative with cakes! I usually stick with the normal baked layers, but I agree that regular cake-making is a total pain in the a. And I don’t have a dishwaser, so washing those sticky crumby cake pans by hand totally takes foreverrrrrrrr. Now that I’ve seen this pancake/cake/magic, though, I may have to start making them your way :)

Congrats! I love everything about this, and I”m honored to be even the teensiest bit of inspiration! Breakfast, buttermilk, and cherries are all things that should be involved in far more cakes. Just today I was making a cobbler and eyeing the sweet biscuit dough thinking “who says I can’t put you in a cake pan…?”. All breakfast cakes. All the time. Maybe the biscuit cake needs to be vanquished next! Again congrats… you are wildly talented, I’m always so impressed.

Yay, happy bloggerversary! Your posts are always so fresh and creative (not to mention funny!). Here’s to lots more classic-Izy posts to come!

And I agree with you when it comes to all the pitfalls of making layer cakes (esp. the baking bit – not happening in this weather). Pancake layer cakes are better. This one’s a beauty and I love it. :)

Happy 2 years! Just now found your lovely slice of the interweb via that funny guy over @ Wit & Vinegar and had to say hello. Love your photos and, of course, the idea of pancakes dressed up as…cakecakes. A little bit of genius going on there, my friend. :)

i wish you a very happy blog anniversary! i really love reading your blog, especially because you’re as young as me and i don’t know so many food bloggers of our age. keep posting so many great recipes! :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TOP WITH CINNAMON! I love how your pancake cake looks like a real cake because of the frosting and not just a stack…. so beautiful!

19. Lisa says

I’ve decided you’re a flippin’ (get it? wink wink) genius! I’m definitely making this! Happy Blogiversary!

Congratulations on the great milestone! I just started blogging, and seeing what you have here makes me excited to imagine where I’ll be in two years time. Your cake is beautiful, creative, and fantastically approachable. In fact, I think I have all the ingredients to go try to whip this up now… :) Thanks for sharing.

21. Yasmine says

Your photos are TO DIE FOR! I absolutely love the gifs as well! And don’t even get me STARTED on the food! I have a huge sweet tooth, so all of your sweets (even the healthy ones) make me drool. Never thought of doing a pancake-cake, and now it’s gotta happen. I also love how personal you are, you inspire me! I hope to start a blog of my own soon and you have definitely given me a lot of good ideas (which I would absolutely credit to you). Anyway, sorry to gush all over the place. Mad love.

IZY this cake is so up my alley, it’s not even funnayyyy. LOVE THIS!!! Those pancake cake layers look SO incredibly thick and fluffy–love it! You are an absolute genius and congratulations on reaching two fabulously picturesque years of blogging!

23. Sumi says

Hello! New reader here :) Love your blog and your pictures and the gifs (which are hypnotically delicious-looking!) Congrats on two years of beautiful work- I can’t wait to try all of it! 😀

THIS IS SUCH AN AWESOME IDEA. Seriously… why did I never think of this. You’re brilliant. Pancakes are just begging to be made into real cake, right?
    Congrats, or rather, Happy Birthday! To you and your blog. I really need to try this sometime. It really is genius.

25. Diane says

I grew up on buttermilk pancakes! I can’t wait to make this! I’m 62 and life just gets better every day! Thank you for sharing!!!

Trackbacks

1. […] pancake hors d’oeuvres is the answer – Family Bites Can I please have this totally awesome pancake layer cake, plleeeaaasssee – Top with Cinnamon Traditionalist who go 4 crepes, lemon + sugar. Time to […]

2. […] If you’re planning on skipping dessert altogether, you can still at least enjoy the “idea” of cake with these pancakes frosted to look like a pretty little layer cake. Top With Cinnamon has a delicious recipe that’s presumably at least a little healthier than a real cake covered in buttercream frosting. (Source) […]