Healthy Breakfast Burritos (make-ahead + how to make high protein/low carb/gf tortillas)

Healthy Breakfast Burritos (make-ahead, with home made high protein/low carb/gf tortillas)

Have you ever had one of those days where you have to wake up obnoxiously early (I’m talking 3 or 4 am here) to catch a flight or a train or some other form of transport? I’ve had that many a time. and it sucks. But not because of the waking up early thing, it’s because of the eating thing. The lack of sleep majorly messes with my internal food clock. My body is all ‘I NEED ENERGY AHHHHHHH’ and because it can’t come from sleeping, it has to come from EATING. However One Tiiiiiiiny Little Thing Whenever I wake up before 6 am, if I do not eat within about 30 minutes, I will have no appetite at all. Thus, a vicious cycle begins (it’s a bit like the snacking cycle I’ve mentioned before, but pretty much the exact opposite of that situation). This is the problem: I don’t feel like eating, because I am so hungry. However, the only way to break the cycle is to eat. Do you see the problem?

The cycle, has one weakness. An achilles heel. A 15 minute window of perfectly-normal-feeling-time which occurs every 3 hours or so (yeah, it’s really not a fun cycle at all) in which I must eat as much food as possible. Also thinking about preparing food when you do not want to be eating food is not very enjoyable, and in no situation do I even want to think about anything sugary at all. So as this exact situation arose a few days ago, and I’d also done some pilates,  my body was in energy needing overdrive. So what is the opposite of sweet breakfast? Mexican food. Chicken burritos, for me.

Welllll, it was more of an omelette.. is that lying? I don’t think it’s lying.. :/ The tortilla isn’t made with flour, it’s a very thinned out egg mixture with some ground flax for those omega-3 fatty acids and fibre. I’m not one for putting nutritional info all over my food but lookit, the tortilla alone has: 3 g of carbohydrate  (and 2 g of that is fiber), 6 g of healthy fats and  11.4g protein (okay, and for cal counters, because I know someone is going to ask, they’re 118kcal each) – SUCK IT Old El Paso, I’m going to wear that bikini to the moon and back now. YEAH. Mexican food for lyfe. (p.s. my mum is the BEST and made the plate in the photos above. She actually made a bunch of them, which didn’t have cracks, but I really liked the cracked plate, so I used it!)

– I made half a batch of this salsa for my burrito, and added 1/2 a chicken breast whilst cooking it

For 1 tortilla:
1 egg + 1 egg white
1/4 cup water
2 tsp ground flaxseed
pinch of salt
Suggested burrito fillings:
1/3 cup salsa
2 tbsp sour cream or creme fraiche (optional)
3 tbsp black beans
lettuce leaves
2 tbsp grated cheese e.g. Cheddar, Red Leicester, Gruyere (optional)
foil

For the tortilla: In a small bowl, whisk together all the tortilla ingredients and set aside whilst you heat a large non-stick frying pan sprayed lightly with oil and preheat your broiler (put the oven rack in the top third of the oven).

Pour the mixture into the frying pan, reserving about 1 tbsp of it (this is so you can use it to repair any cracks that you might get in the tortilla later). Cook until golden brown, and use a metal spatula (I used one of those ones that are supposed to be for frosting cakes) to GENTLY loosen the edges of the tortilla all the way around. Then using the spatula, again gently and carefully, slide it under the tortilla so that it's loosened from the bottom of the pan. (if you make any cracks, pour a little of the reserved mixture into it to seal it back up).

Put the pan under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until you can see that the tortilla as kinda shrunk and is a little bubbly. If you want, you can then flip it and gently fry it again to make this side golden brown too. Set aside on a piece of foil.

Place your choice of fillings down the center of the tortilla and wrap up. Wrap tightly in the foil, then either put it into the fridge for the next day or put it into the oven at 400F for 5 minutes (this sets the shape of the tortilla so that it doesn't unwrap and spill fillings allll over your hands). If reheating the next day, then place into a 400F oven for 10-15 minutes.

Comments

Yummer!!! I typically like sweet things for breakfast {like oatmeal, granola, smoothies, etc.} because it keeps my sweet tooth in check for the rest of the day.. However, lately I’m loving savory things like eggs! Oh and those tortillas look awesome! I’ve tried making gluten free tortillas before using GF flour and they always turn out like stiff cardboard plates. It sucks. And what really sucks is I can’t find flax seed in Africa to make YOUR tortillas which look absolutely divine!

ME TOO! omg I eat yogurt and museli errday!
      Awww no :( that sucks :( I only just found flaxseed at the healthfood store, you can’t get it in the supermarket here!

Have never seen a tortilla like that, but I LOVE it. And I completely get the eating breakfast thing.. And that plate? Gorgeously organic.

I just love everything about this post! Definitely trying out that “tortilla”. And when I saw the very first photo I though: I wonder where she got that plate? Beautiful! Does your mom sell them?

Thanks so much Sarah! haha, I think she’s going to set up an Etsy for her pottery soon, but at the moment, it’s just for me + the fam!

As a nursing student this would happen to me every. damn. morning. I would get up at 5 for clinical and even though I knew I would be stuck in the hospital for 8+ hours with no opportunity for a break I couldn’t eat breakfast no matter how hard I tried. Especially sugary things. I felt like I was alone in this struggle so thank you for the amazing recipe and the warm fuzzies!

x dottidee

Omg this is SO BRILLIANT. And I know exactly what you mean about that tiny window of opportunity of desirable food consumption after waking up at an ungodly hour. Everything just feels like poo when I’m sleep deprived. I want to try making these for my boyfriend. He is obsessed with breakfast tacos but I have a feeling he will loooove these!!

heheh thanks Erika! EXACTLY ugh just waking up early is bad enough itself but then I don’t wanna eat!? Breakfast tacos eh…? hmmm I might have to try that too 😉

6. malin says

I have to try this!! Very cool. But it there really only water, eggs and some grounded flax seed in the dough? Sounds more an omelete. But on the picture it looks more bread like…

This looks amazing! I can’t believe that wrap is made out of just eggs and flax. I was wondering what size pan you used? I’d like to try this out tomorrow morning. Thanks!

Oh man, this is pretty much my dream. I LIVE on wraps/burritos, especially at breakfast time! And my biggest problem with them currently (now that we’re in the midst of a humid 90°F+ heat wave) is that I get so hangry around 9:00am, but the thought of cooking up a bunch of stuff makes me want to cry. I’ve been trying to minimize cooking times by making as many things as possible ahead of time (there are currently giant containers of cooked quinoa and roasted chickpeas in my fridge), but the 100% assembled burrito takes it to the next levellll. And I love the eggy no-flour wrap. I’ve become obsessed with a particular brand of sprouted grain wraps, but I always feel like a total hippy-dip buying them. Plus they cost a million dollars.

oh em gee, yesss just srsly make a burrito ahead of time (you don’t even have to bother with the egg wrap tbh, that requires getting hot over a stove top :/ naht fun) and then in the morning it’s the best thang :) hahah those kinds of things ALWAYS cost a bajillion dollars, stupid Whole Foods, making me poor

Why do your pictures always look so god damn tempting?! Every single time I regret coming onto your blog due to the simple fact that I want to rip out my screen and take a big bite!!!

Katie <3

ok tried ’em and topped em with a tasty fresh corn salad made with red onion, mango and chives, heavily dressed with lemon juice. toasted the whole thing enchilade-style with some goat’s pecorino grated on top. delish!

only tip i have is to whisk the mixture very well before pouring into the skillet. my ground flax seeds all sank to the bottom and my first tortilla came out very thick, flabby and completely flax-less! also, make sure to pop all the bubbles that form in the first minute of frying, since they end up as holes when you flip it. BTW i made double the amount and ended up with more like 4-5 tortillas. sooo good. thnx!!

coolies, thanks for the tips! I didn’t get any bubbles when I made mine :/ I think if the heat is too high, egg mixtures tend to bubble a lot, so maybe try cooking on a lower temp (just a suggestion so you won’t have to pop them bubbles!) :)

Oh my gosh, this looks fantastic! I can’t believe that tortilla isn’t really a tortilla :) Seriously need to try this.

I’m the same way about not eating within the first 30 min or so of waking up (at any time)…if I wait too long then I don’t feel hungry, and then I am a mess the rest of the day.

thanks Aggie!
      Yes! It totally just ruins the rest of the day, so I have to shove food into my mouth as soon as I wake up, haha

12. Jennifer says

Yank here – I’m so glad to have discovered your blog. Also glad to see cilantro sprinkled on this breakfast burrito. I spent a semester in England and I was totally in love with the UK, but I missed Mexican food so much and felt like I couldn’t find good cilantro stuff anywhere.

13. Nikki says

Wow, these are so creative. Do the “Eggtillas” get firm enough to hold up to handling the same as a flour tortilla, or are they more delicate, as in, best eaten with fork and knife?

Trackbacks