Honey and Oat Pancakes

Honey and Oat Pancakes

For me, pancakes hold a special place in my heart.

I also have this irrational anger over people that call crepes pancakes. I literally don’t know why, but when I hear someone talking about pancakes, and I know I KNOW that they are talking about crepes, I have to restrain myself from correcting them. I’m sorry, it’s nothing personal, I only want to protect the name of ‘the Pancake’.

This is also inconvenient, because in the UK, this style of pancake is usually called a ‘Scotch’ or ‘American’ Pancake.

You must put one of those word in to define them.

Otherwise, then that person will assume when you say pancake, you’re referring to CREPES.

Honey and Oat Pancakes

Inferior in my view.

Yeah they can be awesome, but puh-lease do not refer to them as a pancake. They’re even further away from being true to their name (a ‘pan-cake’) than actual pancakes are. Stop lying to me, they’re not soft, fluffy, thick and stacked in layers. More like sweet tortilla. Gahd.

Okay I think you’ve probably had enough crazy-talk from me today (I don’t understand how I get so crazy about food things).

This recipe for Honey and Oat Pancakes (yeah, I’m telling you. Pancakes. The real ones.) comes from Adrianna Adarme’s stunning new pancake book! All the recipes are FAB, A+++

and the gorge photography and styling in the book was done by the awesome gals from Spoon Fork Bacon (photo for every recipe!! Remember how I love that, guys?)

Honey and Oat Pancakes

– (this note is just for the sake of food styling which I copied from the photograph in the book itself) If you want to have visible oats on the pancakes, sprinkle some extra rolled oats onto the batter once you’ve poured it into the pan.

– the recipe has been re-published here with permission, from Adrianna Adarme’s Book: Pancakes, 72 Sweet and Savory Recipes for the Perfect Stack (it’s on page 22)

Honey and Oat Pancakes

Yield: makes 6 pancakes

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup whole milk
3 tbsp honey
1 large egg
1/4 cup rolled oats
Butter / vegetable oil for skillet

In a medium bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.

In a measuring cup or small bowl, measure out the milk. Add the honey and egg and beat for 1 minute, or until the honey has completely dissolved into the milk.

All at once, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. The batter should have some small to medium lumps. Gently fold in the rolled oats.

Preheat your skillet over a medium heat and brush with 1 1/2 tsp of butter or 1 tsp of vegetable oil. Using a 1/4-cup measure scoop the batter onto the warm skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes until small bubbles form on the surface of the pancake, and then flip. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook on the opposite sides for about 1 minute, or until golden brown.

Transfer the cooked pancakes to a baking sheet and place in a preheated 200 F oven to keep warm. Repeat the process with the remaining batter, adding more butter or vegetable oil to the skillet when needed. Serve immediately.

I agree, I have taken this to other baked good too. If I see some refer to a friand as a muffin,. I must correct them. This also goes for cookies and biscuits too (I am from Australia, so British roots).
    Lovely pancakes and yes they always better than crepes!

Actually, in Sweden and Crêpes are the same things. Nobody calls crêpes pancakes.
    Thus, for me, crêpes are “pancakes” that are more savory, which means that you eat it with some sort of white sauce and mushrooms. But that’s just the Swedish food tradition. Swedish pancakes have always looked like crêpes so.

Btw, how many pancakes will you get?

I am American and my husband is English. We’re always debating the definition of a pancake. Every time I try to tell him his “pancakes” are actually crepes, he says crepes are French and all but spits on the ground in disgust. I get him to make crepes for Pancake Day anyway, because I can fill them with sugar and lemon juice and call it dinner. These pancakes look legit. I want to dive right in.

4. sara says

Yup, seriously. What the crap with the pancake-crepe, cookie-biscuit, cake-sponge, cupcake-muffin, dessert-pudding, jello-jelly, jelly-jam?!?! And I am sure there are plenty plenty more atrocities. Including every time I make the British guest a real pancake and they pick it up with their hands, roll it up, and put jam (jelly) on it. But your PANCAKES with real syrup are amazing.

5. elizabeth says

I can’t look at a pancake (American speaking here) without wanting to shove chocolate chips inside it. Yours look delicious even without those precious dark morsels.

6. Alicia says

Ok I’m afraid I’m going to have to be difficult here! I am an English person who has grown up in and still lives in France for context.
    – What you make I do indeed refer to as American pancakes (or possibly Scotch pancakes). They are small and thick.
    – A normal pancake is much bigger in size and has a little thickness to it.
    – A crêpe on the other hand is even bigger than a pancake, very very thin and light. In France at stands and in restaurants they are not made in a pan. http://wheelsonourfeet.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/crepes1.jpg
    – We also have savoury ones made with buckwheat I think which are called galettes.

In any case these things will get more and more mixed as international barriers disappear.
    And they are all delicious!!! (yours look amazing) x

So what are your thoughts on the names hotcakes and flapjacks? But yes I agree, calling crepes pancakes makes my eyes twitch. All that aside, my Aussie heart still beats for pikelets over anything else. Not that I wouldn’t shove my whole family to the ground to steal a whole plate of these :)

8. Rosa says

To confuse the matter further: in Holland pancakes are sometimes called three in the pan (literal translation, its because you can usually fit three in a pan to bake). They co e often with raisins in them.
    But I will try these! They look deliscious.

mmm, the look delish :)

I love all sorts of pancakes & I must admit that in our house we call crepes ‘flat pancakes’ – not sure where it came from, but that is always what we’ve called them :)

My American half has been eaten away at for the last 17 year of the English making that mistake, ohh ma gawd.
    These look delish!

xo Camilla

Into The Fold

11. Sarah says

Honey and oats and maple syrup + black coffee = my hangover breakfast. Now I can have that in pancake form, so god bless you, young Izzy. God bless.

12. Lil says

Hey, you. You’re funny. I like this.
    Even if you said crepes are inferior to pancakes, which they are NOT AT ALL OMAGAD WUTYOUSAID ?!!! Those light and airy delicate sugar things ? Inferior to the plumpy chewy things ?
    But, well. I guess it’s fine to have some debate about crepes vs pancakes for a change. 😉

Haha! I had no idea that “pancake” sans additional adjective refers to a crepe in England — who would have thought that! It seems like madness. We have a crepe place in town called The Skinny Pancake, so it really is the exact opposite over here. (: I love savory crepes stuffed with veggies and cheese, but that’s another food entirely, IMO. Not comparable to a good ol’ pancake!

And these look delish. I never would have thought to put oats right in pancakes, but it sounds awesome!

Ahhh! Gorgeous styling as always! And lol I love your crepe rant. SO TRUE! Pancakes and crepes are basically different food groups, almost. Kind of like when people call cupcakes cake…just not the same thing!

Hi there, love your blog and your gorgeous photographs. In South Africa, where I come from we call these crumpets! And crepes are crepes and pancakes are a slightly thicker crepe. We top our pancakes with sugar and cinnamon, roll them up and eat. Crumpets are topped with anything delicious, Nutella, honey, syrup, jam…you name it. In fact my gluten free buckwheat pancakes/crumpets this morning were topped with warm, home made apple sauce.

16. Janis says

Made these today,tastes great with a hint of cinnamon and oath texture. But the insides a bit doughy,like undercooked,though I followed the recipe 100%. And it gets burnt quite easily.

17. KT says

For all those people who use metric measurements like me:

60g plain flour
    30g wholewheat flour
    22g oats

And I usually start with 120ml milk and add to that according to how liquid I want the pancakes to be :)

I made these for breakfast on a Bank Holiday morning and they were amazing! What a lovely sweetness in the pancake thanks to the honey, you barely even need the syrup. Although, of course, I love syrup, so there’s no way they weren’t getting doused…even though maple syrup is unfortunately expensive in Paris!
    Look forward to making these again, such a simple ingredient list..I had everything in my pantry and was able to pull these together super fast! I love recipes like this one!

19. Sophie says

Hi! These look so good. Do you think it would work when replacing the flours with a gluten free flour mix instead?

1. […] They are subtly sweet from the honey, has a chewy interior with slivers of oats, a beautiful brown exterior, and most of all, the aroma that perfumes the house as they cook is sublime. I made it this morning and life just got wayyyy better. This amazing recipe if from the food blog Top with Cinnamon. […]