No-Churn Pistachio, Mint + Olive Oil Fudge Brownie Ice Cream

July 25, 2013 · 60 comments in Bars and Brownies,Ice Cream

No-Churn Pistachio, Mint + Olive Oil Fudge Brownie Ice Cream Pistachio, Mint + Brownie Ice Cream 177-124

Hola chiquitas/chiquitos, I’m in Spain atm, which is why my pinterest/instagram have stopped for the week, but thanks to the funky internet world I’m able to pre-write a post that can be automatically published whilst I’m away.

I can tan and you can look at ice cream photos.

Like a LOT of ice cream photos (there were more, I didn’t think you’d be too thrilled if I uploaded them all..)

It’s a win-win situation.

No-Churn Pistachio, Mint + Olive Oil Fudge Brownie Ice Cream

I had the pictures of this ice cream on my instagram a while ago, I don’t think anyone guessed the final flavour. It’s pretty obvo that it’s pistachio, and brownie. But it’s also MINTAYYY! Heck to the yes.

Pretty much a mix of my three top flaves – mint choc chip, pistachio and brownie.

Side note: the brownies look super dark, basically black in the photos, because we had no normal cocoa powder left so I ended up using the Hershey’s MEGATRON DARK one instead (I know ‘megatron dark’ is not the real name of the cocoa powder, but I can’t remember what its actual name is and cba to go downstairs to check)

No-Churn Pistachio, Mint + Olive Oil Fudge Brownie Ice Cream

Also side note: my recipe makes such a good amount of brownie chunks, I think about 3 or 4 brownies worth. So you don’t have to do the ‘dig-through-the-container-to-find-and-eat-all-the-brownie-chunks’ thing that I um.. totally don’t do….. :/

No-Churn Pistachio, Mint + Olive Oil Fudge Brownie Ice Cream

I was also a keen bean and dipped the ice cream cones in chocolate (70 percent ofc, who do you think I am) and chopped pistachios. I haven’t included this step in the actual recipe, because I think it’s pretty easy to tell how  and what I did. Plus I doubt anyone is as keen as me to decorate their ice cream cones.

No-Churn Pistachio, Mint + Olive Oil Fudge Brownie Ice Cream

I also painted my nails SO COOL-LY time I made this ice cream, it was so sparkly and amaze. Chipped as always. Nbd.

As I type this, I have red sparkly nail varnish on and it makes me feel like Dorothy’s shoes in the Wizard of Oz (totally rad right?)

No-Churn Pistachio, Mint + Olive Oil Fudge Brownie Ice Cream

No-Churn Pistachio, Mint + Olive Oil Fudge Brownie Ice Cream

No-Churn Pistachio, Mint + Olive Oil Fudge Brownie Ice Cream

So also what happened when I was shooting this was that the ice cream started to melt majorly quickly (we’ve been having a heat wave and I am not adapted to deal with this heat. Nor is the ice cream). Then the random chocolate that I’d drizzled onto the ice cream just literally fell off.

You can see it in the above photo. It looks like a spider.

I think it’s cute.

I also now want to make more chocolate-pistachio spiders. Don’t judge, they are delicious.

GIF!:

No-Churn Pistachio, Mint + Olive Oil Fudge Brownie Ice Cream

Sorry for how disjointed this post is. I described my mind on instagram as being like the above photo and I was not lying, the HEAT makes me unable to hold a train of thought for even less time than usual.

But I can put together a few very words to make an emotional and gripping sentence:

Make this ice cream because it is awesome.

No-Churn Pistachio, Mint + Olive Oil Fudge Brownie Ice Cream

No-Churn Pistachio, Mint + Olive Oil Fudge Brownie Ice Cream
one (14 oz / 397 g) can of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup (125 ml) milk (I used 1%)
1 tsp peppermint oil / extract
2 cups (500ml) heavy cream
1/3 cup (~5 tbsp) pistachios, finely chopped
1 batch of cooled olive oil fudge brownies (recipe below)
For the olive oil fudge brownies:
1/3 cup (45 g) all purpose flour
a pinch each of salt and baking powder
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 cup (50 g) brown sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp plain yogurt
1 tbsp egg white
2 tbsp water

Stir together the milks and peppermint oil. Whisk the heavy cream until just thickened (soft peak stage).

Fold the whipped cream into the milk mixture along with the chopped pistachios and brownie chunks (reserve a few tbsp of the pistachios + brownies for decoration if you want).

Pour into a loaf pan sprinkle with the reserved pistachios + brownie chunks. Freeze for 6+ hours, until solid.

For the brownies:

Preheat your oven to 350 F (180 C), line a small loaf pan with kitchen foil or parchment paper + spray/brush lightly with oil.

In a small bowl, stir the first 4 brownie ingredients together, add the rest of the ingredients and stir until combined.

Scrape into the lined pan and spread out with moistened hands. Bake for 8-10 minutes - you want them to be super gooey, even more so than you usually do with brownie because they need to still be soft once frozen.

Remove from the pan by lifting the foil/parchment up, and cut into small chunks. Let cool completely before adding to the ice cream mixture.

sara July 25, 2013 at 11:16 am

I’m having people over for Italian dinner on Sunday and this is happening.

sara August 1, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I made it! Everyone thought it was delicious. Perfect amount of brownie and pistachio. It was difficult to scoop out. I think I’ll use 1/2 tsp of mint next time. The brownies weren’t quite sweet and fudgy enough for me either. But it was great and awesome that it was no churn.

Carina July 25, 2013 at 12:19 pm

god…the brownies-recipe sounds delicious on its own!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet July 25, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Now that is an ice cream! I love that you loaded it with brownies and other fun things. And the heat makes me crazy too:-)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar July 25, 2013 at 1:28 pm

There is straight up too much goodness in this ice cream. First of all, anything pistachio is pure gold, and secondly, brownies?! Yussss.

Belinda @themoonblushbaker July 25, 2013 at 1:29 pm

gosh this is so easy! I am always too tired to make the custard then churn it (really I eat most of the custard before it gets into the machine sometimes). The cones look so pretty and I love the combination of flavours.

Laura July 25, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I always dig for the cookie or brownie bits in ice creams too. You know what’s up, lady. Hope you’re having the best time in Spain, Izy! xo

Caroline @ Pass the Cocoa July 25, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I love this flavor combination and definitely need to try it! And digging out all the chunks of brownie in ice cream is yummy…hypothetically, of course (:

Sophie July 25, 2013 at 4:18 pm

hahaha, Izy you’re hilarious. AND OH MY WORD, I love your nail polish! Sparkles are the shizzzz, man. And so is this ice cream. Chocolate, pistachio, and mint, WHAAAT. You’re speaking my language.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) July 25, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Love the flavor combo and the dipped cones!

Jennifer | JChong Studio July 25, 2013 at 5:02 pm

OH MY IZY – soooo perfect. LOVE LOVE LOVE THESE SHOTS.

Annalise July 25, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Yummmm! These photos have me drooling. Love anything with pistachio and chocolate!

Susanne July 25, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Absolutely great and stunning pictures! Cheers from germany ;) Susanne

Jennifer July 25, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Salivating over here!

xo Jennifer

elizabeth July 25, 2013 at 7:20 pm

First of all YUM! Second of all, I have no shame (ok a little) in not knowing all of your shortened words (good lord, there must be a word for that too-ugh). So for me to fully enjoy you and your work:
What does “cba” & “nbd” mean? I figured out “atm.” Ha.

Foodsworth July 25, 2013 at 7:31 pm

That gif is so epic. I need to make this now

caitlin July 25, 2013 at 10:22 pm

No ice cream machine needed? uhhh. amazing.

Melted ice cream is the best kind of ice cream.

Abbie July 26, 2013 at 2:34 am

This looks awesome!! And I love your chocolate-dipped pistachio cones.
I need to make no-churn ice cream! (And I might just have to make these olive oil brownies… just for fun. xD)
Awesome pictures as always.

angela@mykikicake July 26, 2013 at 2:58 am

Looks so yummy.!

Sarah | The Sugar Hit July 26, 2013 at 3:52 am

Shamazing, looks awesome. I want this chocolatey goodness in my life.

thecitygourmand July 26, 2013 at 4:00 am

Oh, lordy

Sumaiya July 26, 2013 at 4:02 am

Dude. This looks amazing! I don’t have an ice cream maker, so maybe this will be the first time I make ice cream from scratch :) My two favorite flavors are mint chocolate chip and chocolate chip cookie dough and I’ve never had the two together, so maybe this is my opportunity to make it happen ;)

Karen | Citrus and Candy July 26, 2013 at 9:21 am

Woohoo! Hi-5 for no-churn ice cream! Yours is just too epic.

thelittleloaf July 26, 2013 at 9:58 am

Stunning pics and what an unusual recipe! ps love the little chocolate spider…

carey July 27, 2013 at 1:05 am

So, you know when you see something that looks and sounds so ridiculously good, your brain sort of shuts down and all you can do is laugh and make exasperated sounds? Yeah, that just happened. Omfg. Minty condensed milk ice cream with pistachios (my favorite) and then THERE ARE BROWNIES……olive oil brownies!! And the chocolate + pistachio-dipped cones are gorgeous. Gah, I’m dying!!!!!!!!!

Marta @ What Should I eat for breakfast today July 27, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Gif is the best :) and you’re having a great timing with this recipe :)

Sumi July 28, 2013 at 7:48 am

So beautiful! And I don’t have an ice cream maker, so it’s perfect :D

amy July 28, 2013 at 9:02 am

This looks incredible!!! I will make this ice-cream because it looks awesome :P

Marta July 29, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Hello there!!! I just want to tell you this is a really awesome icecream!!! I love your pictures!!!

Congrats from Spain,
Marta (sweethomeblogdotcom.wordpress.com)

jodye @ chocolate and chou fleur July 29, 2013 at 8:40 pm

This ice cream looks wayyyy too good to resist. All melty and full of chocolate and fudginess and pistachios. Oh I don’t think this would last an hour in my freezer.

Maria July 30, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I loveee no churn ice cream!! Your’s is gorgeous, melty and I love all those great flavors going on! Perfection.

cassay July 31, 2013 at 1:42 am

mmm yum yum.
haha I love how you share all of your behind the scene mishaps with us (like the choc falling off).
you’ve done it again, girl!! :)

Ashley July 31, 2013 at 6:07 am

Ahh, how do you get your photos so crisp?? I manually focus + use a tripod and I don’t feel like they are ever this sharp. This ice cream looks killer!

Izy August 5, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I’ll send ya an email lady! ;)

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) August 1, 2013 at 3:58 am

I agree with Ashley’s comment above!! !I need photography tips :) This flavor looks spectacular.

Dorelle Andersen August 1, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Where do you get your cones or do you make them. Recipe looks awesome!!! Can’t wait to try it. Excellent photos too.

Maddy August 1, 2013 at 5:12 pm

UM I’m sorry what is this and why does it look so amazing and why are you tempting me when I’m at work and can’t possibly make this for another week? I love this blog. YUM.

/too excited, sorry!

adele August 5, 2013 at 4:23 pm

oh my.. that gives me an insight into what I expect for a late afternoon treat in Heaven. Love the animated gif as well..

Mallory August 6, 2013 at 10:44 pm

This icecream looks surreal. And the fact that you don’t even need an icecream maker? Well there’s no excuse not to whip up a batch!

laurasmess August 9, 2013 at 5:17 am

Wow. Just… wow. These ice creams sound amazing (the cones, ice cream, pistachio spiders, love all of it!). I love the fact that you have an entire batch of olive oil fudge brownies in this ice cream. Super indulgent, wonderful chocolatey goodness!

cindy August 9, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I can’t even say how much I love this! I wish I had one right now, for breakfast…ice cream breakfast is appropriate in the summer, right?

Dorothy-Glitter nails are maybe one of my favorites ever.

christian August 14, 2013 at 11:03 pm

pistachio has to be one of the all time best ice cream/ gellatio flavours. It has such a wonderful depth of flavour and that touch of salt.. mm..

Hollygolightly August 23, 2013 at 4:52 am

Loved the post and the pics, totally turned off by the unnecessary acronyms. If you’re going to write, WRITE. Don’t cba this and atm that. :/

Izy August 23, 2013 at 7:00 am

Thanks Holly! That’s just how I do it though girl! I write this blog for me – I’m not doing it for anyone else so it’s my prerogative and if you don’t like it don’t read it.

Miller August 28, 2013 at 1:20 am

I get raw milk. could i substitute it for the 1% and heavy cream?

Izy August 28, 2013 at 5:39 am

I have no idea! Haha sorry, I’ve never used raw milk and don’t know what the fat content would be like. Im inclined to say no it won’t work though because you need to whisk the cream to make it thick so that air gets incorporated into the mixture. Then when it freezes, the air an fat in the cream keeps it soft and scoop-able without having to churn the ice cream (which is done to incorporate air and break up ice crystals as the mixture freezes). So unless you want to freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker instead, or if you can whisk raw milk to soft peaks (which I’m kinda doubting..?) then no… Sorry!

Maddie August 28, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Oh my gosssshh, I need to make this now. Unfortunately, my ice cream bowl wasn’t in the freezer so I have to wait a day :( But I want to make a batch of the brownies by themselves! Is this brownie recipe scaled down from an original?

Donna August 28, 2013 at 9:59 pm

THIS….truly one of the most spectacular ice cream cones I have seen in my LIFE…

I love all AS IS…but hubbers isn’t “keen” on mint…MAJOR ALAS….Could I possibly use pistachio extract instead…or would this totally destroy this perfection recipe and be “over-kill” on the pistachio?….Recent, impressed beyond words observer of your amazing blog. Kudos.

Coty and Mariah August 29, 2013 at 11:39 pm

We are so in love with your photography! Oh, and your recipe :)

Emily August 30, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Wow… just wow! Totally gunna make this xx

Jessica S. @ Floptimism September 14, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Hi there! My name is Jessica, and I run a food blog called Floptimism where, every Saturday, I write a Weekend Wrap-Up post to share all of my favorite internet finds from the past week. I wanted to let you know that I absolutely loved this post — the photos are just breathtaking — so much so that I included it in my blog’s Weekend Wrap-Up, and featured one of the photographs with credit and link back to this page. I’ve included the link to the post in case you’re interested. Thanks for such an inspiring post!