August 7, 2013 · 32 comments in 'How to's,Bread and Yeast Doughs,Savoury

Okay, so I’m sitting here at my computer feeling pretty guilty. After this post, you might be like this, because of a few reasons.

a) I haven’t posted a recipe since a BILLION YEARS AGO. Hello Miss Lazy Face, a.k.a me.

b) I’ve just put 29 photos into a post about pizza. So you’ve got to scroll quite a bit to get to the bottom of the post. Which we all know, is WHERE THE RECIPE IS (inside joke for old TWC readers)

c) There’s 29 photos. Of making pizza. I just ate and I’m hungry. You’ll be craving pizza by the end of this.

d) You’re about to get a pizza song stuck in your head, courtesy of this moi (which I learnt of from my brother and his friend. Thanks Jasper. Thanks Jack.).

I’ve listened to that too many times.

But I’m making up for it, because I’m making something everyone loves.

Cake?

Well not today, that’s not the relevant here.

{spoiler alert}

It’s Pizza!

The recipe is no-knead aaaand it has a 5 minute tomato sauce!

Did I mention I also made it on the barbecue??

The awesome John Lewis sent me a Weber Barbecue Pizza stone to try out, and omg

best pizza ever.

I love pizza that has quite a thin crust that’s crunchy and chewy, and it’s exactly what I got! I think it must be because of how much hotter the BBQ gets compared to the oven (espesh when it has a ridiculously hot stone inside of it).

Sweet potatoes?

PUT IT IN THE PIZZA

ZUCCHINI?

PUT IT IN THE PIZZA.

Close up, aww yeah.

How to make pizza on a Barbecue {+ a No-Knead Sweet Potato, Pesto, Red Onion and Zucchini Ribbon Pizza} How to make pizza on a Barbecue {+ a No-Knead Sweet Potato, Pesto, Red Onion and Zucchini Ribbon Pizza} How to make pizza on a Barbecue {+ a No-Knead Sweet Potato, Pesto, Red Onion and Zucchini Ribbon Pizza}

I had to share the pizza love, obvs. So I invited a few of my gals round.

(p.s. Gals, I hope you don’t mind me putting your faces on my blog..)

Hope you forgive me, here’s a recipe (also it looks like a really long recipe but it’s just repetition at the end, tbh)

Makes 2 large or 4 medium pizzas.

For the Pizza dough:

I followed Jim Lahey’s No-Knead bread recipe, using whole wheat bread flour and 1 tsp of yeast. Recipe here.

For the tomato sauce (this is a super easy, no-cook sauce. Takes 5 mins):

1 (220g / 8 oz) can of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 clove of garlic, crushed

For the toppings:
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4″ thick coins
a handful of fresh basil, thyme and sage
1 large zucchini, peeled into ribbons (using a peeler or mandolin..)
1/4 a large red onion, finely sliced
1/4 cup basil pesto
a few fresh basil leaves
1 or 2 (125 g / 4.5 oz) ball(s) of fresh mozzarella, sliced

Indefinite amounts of: Parmigiano-Reggiano, olive oil, salt and pepper for seasoning + flour and cornmeal, for sprinkling

Make the pizza dough as instructed by Jim Lahey’s recipe –  I just started mine in the morning and left it for the day (8-10 hours).

For the tomato sauce – blend all the sauce ingredients together either in a blender, food processor or with an immersion blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Done! Set it aside.

For the sweet potatoes – place the coins of sweet potato onto a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and throw in some fresh thyme leaves, a few sage leaves and some basil. Roast in an oven preheated to 400F for 20-30 minutes until slightly browned.

To make the pizzas on a pizza stone:

Place the pizza stone onto a lit barbecue. Let it heat for about 30 minutes, getting the temperature up to between 400-450 F (200-230 C)

Take the round metal tray that comes with the stone, drizzle with olive oil and spread it around with your hands to cover the surface of the tray. Sprinkle evenly with cornmeal. Take a ball of dough, place it on the cornmeal-y tray and spread/ stretch it out with your hands. The medium balls of dough will stretch to 8-12″ in diameter, the large balls of dough will stretch to 12-14″ diameter easily. Ladle on a few tablespoons of tomato sauce and spread it out over the dough. Don’t DROWN the dough in sauce, OKAY? Arrange the toppings you want on the pizza. Drizzle with olive oil, grate over some of that Parmigiano-Reggiano, and season with salt and pepper. Place the tray onto the pizza stone, cover with the lid of the BBQ and bake for around 15 minutes, when the cheese has melted and is starting to brown.

To make the pizzas on a tray on the BBQ:

Light the barbecue and let it heat up so the temperature reaches between 400-450 F (200-230 C)

You’ll need two baking trays of the same size (the more heavy-duty, the better as metal can warp under high heat). Take one baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and spread it around with your hands to cover the surface of the tray. Sprinkle evenly with cornmeal. Take a ball of dough, place it on the cornmeal-y tray and spread/ stretch it out with your hands until it’s as thin as you want it and in whatever shape. Ladle on a few tablespoons of tomato sauce and spread it out over the dough. Don’t DROWN the dough in sauce, OKAY? Arrange the toppings you want on the pizza. Drizzle with olive oil, grate over some of that Parmigiano-Reggiano, and season with salt and pepper. Stack this tray on top of the second tray. It helps diffuse the heat a bit more to have stacked trays. Place the stacked trays onto the BBQ grate, cover with the lid of the BBQ and bake for around 10-15 minutes, when the cheese has melted and is starting to brown.

To make the pizzas in an oven:

You can also bake them in an oven at the highest heat C for around 20 minutes. If you have a pizza a stone, put that into the oven whilst it’s preheating for about 20 minutes, and slide the pizza onto it to bake. Make the pizza as described for how ‘to make the pizzas on a tray for the BBQ‘ (just above).

Megan Ball August 7, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Wow, love this idea! Absolutely love sweet potatoes and I’ve never thought of cooking a pizza on the BBQ! – the crust look SOOOOO good.
Definitely next on my list to try from your blog! Thanks Izy :) xx

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen August 7, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Ahhh! This looks amazing! I absolutely love the process shots. I love a good zucchini ribbon – so beautiful!

Belinda @themoonblushbaker August 7, 2013 at 6:38 pm

WOW I love these shots! You have such artistic eye. The dough look stunning as abase for the sweet flavours of the potato and zucchini.

Katy @ Katy's Kitchen August 7, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Wow, what a great vegetarian pizza perfect for summer! I’m sure my family would love this. I have yet to try BBQ pizza but I’m sure it would be awesome. Probably as close to a wood-fire oven as you can get at home!

chelsy August 7, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Heck yes! I used to watch those MK & A videos all the time when I was younger! Trenchcoat twins! haha! BTW, this pizza looks absolutely scrumptious!

Billy August 7, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I’m glad I know someone as funny as you. The end. xoxo, gossip guy.

Alice August 7, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Wow. This looks absolutely delicious!! My brother actually recently got a pizza stone that can be used on a BBQ. Best of both worlds!! xx

Erika August 7, 2013 at 8:15 pm

You are so brilliant and these toppings sound delicious and WHY are your photos so gorg? Like really what do you do to them. <333333

Jennifer August 7, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Ahh that looks so good!

xo Jennifer

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar August 7, 2013 at 9:22 pm

This is gorgeous, and looks like such fun!!

Abbie August 7, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Ahhhhh. I love that. That looks amazing.
Especially with all those beautiful gobs of mozzarella melting all over the place.
And those gorgeous ribbons of zucchini! There isn’t any zucchini around here. Hardly. It’s a travesty. :(
I must make grilled pizzas this summer! They look so awesome. :D
Pinned this!

Todd @ HonestlyYUM August 7, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I wish I could take pictures like you…you’re killing it!! <3

Marta@What should I eat for breakfast today August 7, 2013 at 11:23 pm

This is the best video!

Jessica Joseph August 7, 2013 at 11:37 pm

This looks absolutely delicious and your photos are absolutely stunning. I may just have to try this pizza this weekend, it looks very tempting haha.

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough August 8, 2013 at 1:27 am

OHMAHGOSH WHERE HAS THAT PIZZA SONG BEEN ALL MY LIFE?

Because for real, I want to sing it every day. Preferably with this pizza alongside. YUMZ.

Joshua @ Slim Palate August 8, 2013 at 1:51 am

Oh my god that video. WHIPPED CREAM POURIN LIKE WATURRRFALLZ.

Charul @ Tadka Masala August 8, 2013 at 11:45 am

Oh man! All i want after those 29 pics is pizza. Any kind would do. Any.

Demetria Provatas August 8, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Haha I love that mary kate and ashley video! So funny.
This pizza looks so good I can’t even handle it. I love zucchini and sweet potato on pizza too. Beautiful photos!

Shelly August 8, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Gorgeous pictures! Pizza is always a good idea and I love the summer twist you put on it with grilling and the flavor combination looks unbeatable!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) August 8, 2013 at 11:56 pm

I love grilled pizza and this is one of the best looking pizzas I’ve seen!

laurasmess August 9, 2013 at 4:52 am

This is a fantastic post… such gorgeous photos (you can never have too many photos of something with melted cheese). That ‘Gimme Pizza’ video has been a joke amongst my friends and I for a few years now. Always good for laughs! Anyway, thanks for this lovely wholemeal pizza recipe. Definitely making it. BTW I haven’t been to your blog for ages and I feel like I’ve missed heaps! Looking forward to reading your archives, yay! x

thelittleloaf August 9, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Pizza on the BBQ? You are a genius :-)

cindy August 9, 2013 at 2:30 pm

this pizza is GORGEOUS! and, I love all the pizza all the times. I just got a pizza stone for the grill and it’s a total game changer.

carey August 9, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Things I Need To Do:
1. Put sweet potatoes on a pizza. Why have I not done this?? I roasted sweet potato slices up the other weekend and put them on a sandwich, and it was balla.
2. Stop grating mozz for pizza and cut it into slices instead. Hello melty sea of cheese!
3. Get a grill. All the summer grilling recipes make me cry because I don’t have one. When I move to a new place (hopefully to an actual house and not an apartment, like a real grown up), the first order of summer business is buying a grill, and grilling EVERYTHING. Especially pizza. And omg, my friend told about this ice cream article he read where they made ice cream sandwiches with grilled brioche bread. I died a little inside thinking about how I couldn’t make that happen immediately.

And I LOVE all the pictures! Step-by-steps and outdoor party shots, woohoo! It can be hard to make pizza look good, but you made it look friggin’ awesome. (:

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) August 9, 2013 at 11:55 pm

As to be expected, I totally need to face-plant myself into this pizza. Your photos are SO stunning! The light, the crispness, everything. You are one talented lady.

Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper August 12, 2013 at 4:45 pm

This looks delicious! I love how you gave so many options for making it!

Stuart August 14, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Oh man that looks so good. I’ve got to try that.

Virginie January 23, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I’ve cooked it last weekend and it was just delicious! Thank you for the amazing recipe :)
I’m a huge fan of sweet potatoes and like this they were just so tasty! :)
I love your blog, all the recipes are great, I can’t wait to try all them! :)
Much love,
Virginie

Kulsum March 2, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Hate pinterest, which made me land here and now I have a terrible terrible pizza craving. GORGEOUS!