Coconut Angel Food Cake with Greek Yogurt Frosting

Coconut Angel Food Cake with Greek Yogurt Frosting

Soo, I think I mentioned something about angel food cake like, I dunno,

ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO.

Hah. Yeah. Funny that..

Coconut Angel Food Cake with Greek Yogurt Frosting

I said I’d post the recipe. Then 4 weeks later and I still hadn’t posted it. Then there were guest posts and other posts and pancakes and things.

Then I felt all ‘meh’ about the photos, but finally edited them.

In total it’s been about 2 months now and here we are! I’ve brought you a summer cake in autumn. How nice Izy. Yeah, I thought so.

Meanwhile I’ve been dealing with what has been dubbed as ‘the most stressful term of your life ever’ at school. Those upper sixth formers last year were nahttt joking. But after this week, hopefully things will relax and I’ll get back to my regular posting schedule (I do have threeeeee pumpkin things, a giveaway and a guest post lined up. So it’s gon’ be a crazy time come October.)

Coconut Angel Food Cake with Greek Yogurt Frosting

But for now, my life is not like this:

IMG_2780

It’s just like

IMG_2783

and then I end up lying on my duvet on the floor under a blanket, in my PJs at 7pm, watching Hustle and drinking tea.
IMG_2787

I think we all know who leads the glamourous London lifestyle around here.

Those characters in Hustle is who.

Coconut Angel Food Cake with Greek Yogurt Frosting

So that’s why I suck at posting and replying and commenting at the moment. And why I’m giving you a recipe for the wrong season. But the pumpkin time will come soon

and when it comes to pumpkin time, I am not joking.

Oh also guys, I realise that I have basically broken the cardinal rule of angel food cakes here – I greased the pan.

“She greased the pan?”

“SHE GREASED THE PAN?”

“IS SHE SINGLE HANDEDLY TRYING TO DESTROY BAKING?”

Dun

Dun

DUNNNNNNNN

I used a regular (i.e. not non-stick) bundt pan, and sprayed it with vegetable oil spray and it literally came out FINE. So there’s a baking myth busted. But if you’re skeptical, just use an un-greased, normal angel food cake pan and you’ll be a-okay.

Coconut Angel Food Cake with Greek Yogurt Frosting

Coconut Angel Food Cake with Greek Yogurt Frosting
6 egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup (60 g) all purpose flour
1/2 cup desiccated / shredded coconut
for the Greek Yogurt Frosting:
1 cup Greek Yogurt
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
toppings: fresh fruit (I used apricots and strawberries), pecans, flaked coconut

Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C)

Whisk the egg whites together with the cream of tartar and salt. Continue to whisk whilst gradually adding in 1/2 cup of the sugar. Beat until the egg whites hold stiff peaks, then whisk in the vanilla and almond extracts. Sift the flour and remaining sugar into the bowl. Also add the coconut to the bowl. Fold it all together with a rubber spatula until just mixed.

Pour the batter into an angel food cake/bundt cake / tube pan (if you use a bundt pan, I'd say you should grease it or make sure it's non-stick). and bake for 20-30 minutes. Leave to cool upside-down, on a wire rack. Once cool, loosen the edges with a palette knife and turn out onto a serving plate.

For the frosting, stir together 1/2 cup of the yogurt with all the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Frost the cake with this, then use the additional yogurt to spoon + swirl on top. Decorate with your choice of toppings.

Comments

I know that feeling. For me, medical school just keeps throwing so much information and I’m like – “my brain is not that big.”

Love the coconut angel food cake concept – beautiful, delicious, and decadent. I kind of want to just jump into it. Any chance you could mail it to the US in exchange for a baked good :-)?

Thanks Haley! It’s good to hear it’s not only me with all the scary deadlines and work! Cake = the light at the end of this stressful tunnel, atm

ahah, I can’t wait to forget them.
      Thanks Emma, I never thought about the different seasons in different parts of the world (duhhh) – yay!

I know the feeling gurrrlllll!! I just started uni last week and I’m already stressed. So much to do and I haven’t even got coursework yet:( what are you studying?
    Btw cake look delicious, love the fruity topping.

As always, your photos are awesome. I saw angel food cake being made on GBBO and it looked really tricky, but maybe they they are just being over-the-top for TV. I love the yogurt frosting idea!

Thanks so much Kezia :)
      ahahahaha I know! That’s when I was like ‘ohhhhh woah there, I greased the cake tin when I made my angel food cake. Is that not right..?’

4. mykayla says

I make ice cream, and sometimes I do the custard base which uses egg yolks. This cake recipe is perfect for the leftover eggwhites. Not sure why this never ocurred to me as the egg whites sat moldering in the fridge. Duh. So thank you for this…..and your gorgeuos pictures, and your sense of humor, and your fearlessness in the kitchen. Cannot wait for the pumpkin things. You are an inspiration for an oldster just learning to enjoy cooking.

I always forget about all the recipes for using up loads of egg yolks / egg whites and inevitably throw them away :/ soooo it’s not only you!

Thanks so much Mykayla :) (and I cannot wait to post the pumpkin things!)

Wow, this looks incredible!
    Definitely will be making this when I get a chance. I totally get where you’re coming from about school – I’m in the same year as you so everything is stressedout.com at the moment!
    But baking makes everything better!

You rebel, you. Girl, I just had exactly 6 egg whites I needed to use up and that was THREE DAYS AGO…….so. We’re going to have to talk about this timing thing. As in we should really coordinate our schedules and you can feel free to send this angel cake to my doorstep as reparation, okay? 😀 so fluffy, lovin’ it!

thanks Ellie! Well..it just makes one bundt cake soooo I’d say about 8 servings, but you can esily get 10-12 servings out of it, depending on how big you cut the pieces

7. Sina says

Baaaha, your posts are always so sweet and funny. Honestly, I always wonder how you do it. Being so busy at school and still finding the time to not only bake those amazing things but also taking those amazing pictures of all the amazing things you bake PLUS finding the nerve to upload all the stuff and post it in such a funny, entertaining way.
    Just love your work!

thanks Sina 😀
      Me too haha, but somehow I just make time for it!
      and holy moly, it is really hard (even now) to post stuff, especially when it involves my face :/

Your posts always leave me laughing. LOVE! The photos of you are hilarious. I completely understand the crazy times, but you are doing an amazing job, girl! Keep at it. And, I’ll take this summer cake any day…or season. It’s friggin’ gorgeous.

Thanks so much Eva! yusss the Greek yogurt is sooo good with the cake because it’s all tangy and creamy!
      AND I’VE TOTALLY JUST REALISED I NEED TO COMMENT ON YOUR POSTS OMG AHHHH

haha I only realised when I was watching a cooking show and there was this whole deal about not greasing the pan for angel food cake and I was just like ‘whaaaa?’
      thanks girl!

izy, it is beyond me why anyone would post anything REMOTELY negative on this gorgeous website.
    the equivalent would be to punch a cute kitteh in the face. WHY?

Yuusssssss, the angel food cake! You know I love angel food cake + strawberries + whipped cream, but that Greek yogurt frosting takes it to a whole ‘nother level of friggin’ awesome. SUMMER FOREVER. I’ll eat pumpkin soup for dinner and five slices of angel food cake for dessert.

And I feel ya on the craziness. Lately I’ve had a lot of days where staring at the computer for a moment longer makes my brain want to melt, and I just have to tell myself to go watch some tv and deal with it later. By winter we’ll be cold and stuck inside, and taking pictures and posting and commenting like it ain’t no thang. That’s what I keep telling myself anyway. 😉

HAHA I KNOW FINALLY RIGHT!?
      Yayyy balance those seasons out like a pro!

ughh you just put into words how I’ve been feeling for the past few months!
      haha winter is totally like blogger season!

11. Donna says

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!….My absolute FAVORITE cake…which hubster detests…made with a REGULAR BUNDT PAN!!…Not only have you disproved the angel-food “absolute” of never greasing…but I thought that here in France, I would NEVER be able to make this (angel-food cake pans are hard to find here)!!

Love its lightness…your fresh, minimal fresh fruit and greek yogurt topping….This is gorgeous…as is your humour and stellar photography…Consider me a fan!…Thanks to Jessica via “How Sweet It Is” blog.

12. Coconuts says

Ohh my goshh, i-need-this-cake!! Right now i mean coconut and frosting and fresh fruits and that fluffiness and and… Definitely gonna try this at weekend.
    But… Would you have any idea what could i substitute cream of tartar with? And what amount? It’s just impossible find it here for some reason. I would be so grateful!

Anyway thanks so much for all these superb recipes, they are overly perfect. We’re soon getting an overload of all kind goodies here ;))

13. Izzy says

This looks amazing!! I wonder what other fruit/nut combo would be good on top…

By the way, We have the same name…

Ain’t that funny 😀

The only time I made an angel food cake I use a special pan that allows space for the cake to fall, didn’t grease, correctly whipped whites, bla bla.. and it was a flop, big time. So I’m going with greased bundt next time. Girl, that cake looks so good you could make a convert out of me!

Last time I made angel food cake, it turned into a pile of cake bits that I had to glue back together with boiled icing. So yours looks pretty good. Even if you greased the pan.

16. Ali says

Hi! Cake looks gorgeous! I’m gonna make it for my friends birthday, but I just had one question – did you use a smaller bundt pan? The recipe calls for 6 egg whites and usually angel food cake can use upwards to 10 egg whites. Thanks!

17. Brenda says

This recipe is AWESOME! I have never made an angel fook cake from scratch. It was my co-worker’s birthday and the whole office went gaga! Hehehe! The greek yogurt topping really takes this cake to another level of yummy goodness. Thanks!

18. Camilla says

Okay dude,

I might be in Australia…but this was totally my life in Year 12 (my final high school year) AND I bloody love Hustle. BEST SHOW EVER!

Trackbacks