Coconut Angel Food Cake with Greek Yogurt Frosting

September 23, 2013 · 84 comments in Cake

Coconut Angel Food Cake with Greek Yogurt Frosting

Soo, I think I mentioned something about angel food cake like, I dunno,

ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO.

Hah. Yeah. Funny that..

Coconut Angel Food Cake with Greek Yogurt Frosting

I said I’d post the recipe. Then 4 weeks later and I still hadn’t posted it. Then there were guest posts and other posts and pancakes and things.

Then I felt all ‘meh’ about the photos, but finally edited them.

In total it’s been about 2 months now and here we are! I’ve brought you a summer cake in autumn. How nice Izy. Yeah, I thought so.

Meanwhile I’ve been dealing with what has been dubbed as ‘the most stressful term of your life ever’ at school. Those upper sixth formers last year were nahttt joking. But after this week, hopefully things will relax and I’ll get back to my regular posting schedule (I do have threeeeee pumpkin things, a giveaway and a guest post lined up. So it’s gon’ be a crazy time come October.)

Coconut Angel Food Cake with Greek Yogurt Frosting

But for now, my life is not like this:

IMG_2780

It’s just like

IMG_2783

and then I end up lying on my duvet on the floor under a blanket, in my PJs at 7pm, watching Hustle and drinking tea.
IMG_2787

I think we all know who leads the glamourous London lifestyle around here.

Those characters in Hustle is who.

Coconut Angel Food Cake with Greek Yogurt Frosting

So that’s why I suck at posting and replying and commenting at the moment. And why I’m giving you a recipe for the wrong season. But the pumpkin time will come soon

and when it comes to pumpkin time, I am not joking.

Oh also guys, I realise that I have basically broken the cardinal rule of angel food cakes here – I greased the pan.

“She greased the pan?”

“SHE GREASED THE PAN?”

“IS SHE SINGLE HANDEDLY TRYING TO DESTROY BAKING?”

Dun

Dun

DUNNNNNNNN

I used a regular (i.e. not non-stick) bundt pan, and sprayed it with vegetable oil spray and it literally came out FINE. So there’s a baking myth busted. But if you’re skeptical, just use an un-greased, normal angel food cake pan and you’ll be a-okay.

Coconut Angel Food Cake with Greek Yogurt Frosting

Coconut Angel Food Cake with Greek Yogurt Frosting
6 egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup (60 g) all purpose flour
1/2 cup desiccated / shredded coconut
for the Greek Yogurt Frosting:
1 cup Greek Yogurt
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
toppings: fresh fruit (I used apricots and strawberries), pecans, flaked coconut

Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C)

Whisk the egg whites together with the cream of tartar and salt. Continue to whisk whilst gradually adding in 1/2 cup of the sugar. Beat until the egg whites hold stiff peaks, then whisk in the vanilla and almond extracts. Sift the flour and remaining sugar into the bowl. Also add the coconut to the bowl. Fold it all together with a rubber spatula until just mixed.

Pour the batter into an angel food cake/bundt cake / tube pan (if you use a bundt pan, I'd say you should grease it or make sure it's non-stick). and bake for 20-30 minutes. Leave to cool upside-down, on a wire rack. Once cool, loosen the edges with a palette knife and turn out onto a serving plate.

For the frosting, stir together 1/2 cup of the yogurt with all the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Frost the cake with this, then use the additional yogurt to spoon + swirl on top. Decorate with your choice of toppings.

Kartik @ Bakeology 101 September 23, 2013 at 12:20 am

I know that feeling. For me, medical school just keeps throwing so much information and I’m like – “my brain is not that big.”

Love the coconut angel food cake concept – beautiful, delicious, and decadent. I kind of want to just jump into it. Any chance you could mail it to the US in exchange for a baked good :-) ?

Izy September 25, 2013 at 11:44 am

woah well I’m not even in Uni yet! Can’t imagine what medical school must be like :/ POWER THROUGH

Thanks! haha I think it would die in the mail ;)

Kartik @ Bakeology 101 September 26, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Maybe the chocolate chip basil infused cookies :-)

Sarah Crowder (punctuated. with food) September 23, 2013 at 12:53 am

That gif shows how awesomely fluffy it it!

Izy September 25, 2013 at 11:44 am

yesss, it was really fluffy :) )

Laura (Tutti Dolci) September 23, 2013 at 1:05 am

Gorgeous, I love the fresh fruit topping!

Izy September 25, 2013 at 11:45 am

Thanks Laura! I love frsh fruit with angel food cake, it really cuts through the sweetness of the cake well

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar September 23, 2013 at 1:19 am

Hahaha your posts always make me laugh!! Loving this freaking cake – yuuuuum!

Izy September 25, 2013 at 11:46 am

hahah I’m gald to hear it :) Thaaaaanks Katrina

Sarah | The Sugar Hit September 23, 2013 at 2:58 am

YOUUUUU. You poor bugger, exams are the worst! All that and YOU GREASED THE PAN!

But that worked out ok. So your exams will too. And then you’ll get back to ur London lyfe.

ah, what a time to be alive.

Izy September 25, 2013 at 11:46 am

I KNOW I GREASED IT WHAT AM I DOINGGG???

Thanks Sarah ;)

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate September 23, 2013 at 3:29 am

Beautiful pictures. I totally understand the stress of school and trying to make blogging a priority amongst a plethora of other things. But it can be done!

Izy September 25, 2013 at 11:48 am

Thanks Mallory! It is hard to balance everything, but I always find a way to make time for the things I enjoy doing :)

Belinda @themoonblushbaker September 23, 2013 at 3:32 am

Lol london style! you need a dance.
Wonderful cake recipe! Still i have not dared to make the bundt in fear of breakage.

Izy September 25, 2013 at 11:49 am

ahah oh man, please no dancing :/
Thanks Belinda! Bundt pans can be scarryyyyy unless you grease them really really well

Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine September 23, 2013 at 3:47 am

OH gosh. This looks wonderful. I’m making it. soon. I currently look like the second picture with the “deadlines” “schedules” and “work” too. gosh darn it. Angel food cake real soon though.

Izy September 25, 2013 at 11:50 am

Thanks Haley! It’s good to hear it’s not only me with all the scary deadlines and work! Cake = the light at the end of this stressful tunnel, atm

Sophie September 23, 2013 at 7:22 am

Ah mah werrrd. Beautiful cake, Izy!! Hope you live through these next couple week. ;) I know you will!

Izy September 25, 2013 at 11:51 am

Thanks Sophie :) I’m pushing through! I will surviiiiive

Zinny | The Vanilla Hub September 23, 2013 at 7:51 am

Looks beautiful, as always! I love your addition of coconut and using Greek yoghurt for icing! All the best for your exams and things. I’m sure you’ll get through fine!

Izy September 25, 2013 at 11:52 am

Thanks Zinny! Mmm I love yogurt with cake, such a good combo.

Dena September 23, 2013 at 11:10 am

Absolutely beautiful cake. Stunning photos. Good luck with the studies! Hang in there.

Izy September 25, 2013 at 11:52 am

Thanks Dena!

amy September 23, 2013 at 11:12 am

Hahhahh your posts always make me laaaaffff.

Good luck with all the UCAS and Personal statement shizzles – hang in there!!

:D

Izy September 25, 2013 at 11:52 am

aha, thanks Amy :)

I am! It’s almost done. ALMOST.

Emma Galloway September 23, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Oh exams. I remember them, just ;-)
Lovely lovely cake, perfect timing for us down here in Australia! Strawberry seasons is in full swing!

Izy September 25, 2013 at 11:54 am

ahah, I can’t wait to forget them.
Thanks Emma, I never thought about the different seasons in different parts of the world (duhhh) – yay!

Rochelle Hutchinson September 23, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I know the feeling gurrrlllll!! I just started uni last week and I’m already stressed. So much to do and I haven’t even got coursework yet:( what are you studying?
Btw cake look delicious, love the fruity topping.

Izy September 25, 2013 at 11:55 am

ahh man, good luck with Uni!
I’m doing Chem, Bio and Maths. So no essays! But lots of calculations and coursework.
Thanks Rochelle

Kezia September 23, 2013 at 2:14 pm

As always, your photos are awesome. I saw angel food cake being made on GBBO and it looked really tricky, but maybe they they are just being over-the-top for TV. I love the yogurt frosting idea!

Izy September 25, 2013 at 11:56 am

Thanks so much Kezia :)
ahahahaha I know! That’s when I was like ‘ohhhhh woah there, I greased the cake tin when I made my angel food cake. Is that not right..?’

mykayla September 23, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I make ice cream, and sometimes I do the custard base which uses egg yolks. This cake recipe is perfect for the leftover eggwhites. Not sure why this never ocurred to me as the egg whites sat moldering in the fridge. Duh. So thank you for this…..and your gorgeuos pictures, and your sense of humor, and your fearlessness in the kitchen. Cannot wait for the pumpkin things. You are an inspiration for an oldster just learning to enjoy cooking.

Izy September 25, 2013 at 11:58 am

I always forget about all the recipes for using up loads of egg yolks / egg whites and inevitably throw them away :/ soooo it’s not only you!

Thanks so much Mykayla :) (and I cannot wait to post the pumpkin things!)

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough September 23, 2013 at 3:52 pm

You could post this cake in the dead of winter and I will still be ALL OVER THAT MO’.

Izy September 25, 2013 at 11:58 am

ehehe, well cake is a 24/7/365 treat ;)

Megan Ball September 23, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Wow, this looks incredible!
Definitely will be making this when I get a chance. I totally get where you’re coming from about school – I’m in the same year as you so everything is stressedout.com at the moment!
But baking makes everything better!

Izy September 25, 2013 at 12:00 pm

thanks Megan!
ugh yes. Why is UCAS such a long, precise form? I keep getting so confused!!!
It totally does :)

Ala September 23, 2013 at 5:18 pm

You rebel, you. Girl, I just had exactly 6 egg whites I needed to use up and that was THREE DAYS AGO…….so. We’re going to have to talk about this timing thing. As in we should really coordinate our schedules and you can feel free to send this angel cake to my doorstep as reparation, okay? :D so fluffy, lovin’ it!

Izy September 25, 2013 at 12:00 pm

dayummmm sorry girl! haha, I’ll just let you know my posting scedule so we can synchronise ;)

Ellie September 23, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Looks so yum! How many servings does this make? :)

Izy September 25, 2013 at 12:01 pm

thanks Ellie! Well..it just makes one bundt cake soooo I’d say about 8 servings, but you can esily get 10-12 servings out of it, depending on how big you cut the pieces

Sophia@ NY Foodgasm September 23, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog and this recipe is just amazing! I love the personal touch you add and that everything is so darn pretty! We should be blogger besties!

Izy September 25, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Thanks Sophia! yesssss

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan September 23, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I mean, could your pictures be any prettier and could this look any better?!

Izy September 25, 2013 at 12:03 pm

heheh, thanks so much Abby!

Sina September 23, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Baaaha, your posts are always so sweet and funny. Honestly, I always wonder how you do it. Being so busy at school and still finding the time to not only bake those amazing things but also taking those amazing pictures of all the amazing things you bake PLUS finding the nerve to upload all the stuff and post it in such a funny, entertaining way.
Just love your work!

Izy September 25, 2013 at 12:05 pm

thanks Sina :D
Me too haha, but somehow I just make time for it!
and holy moly, it is really hard (even now) to post stuff, especially when it involves my face :/

Ashley September 23, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Your posts always leave me laughing. LOVE! The photos of you are hilarious. I completely understand the crazy times, but you are doing an amazing job, girl! Keep at it. And, I’ll take this summer cake any day…or season. It’s friggin’ gorgeous.

Izy September 25, 2013 at 12:06 pm

That is my aim!!
Thanks so much Ashley, your support means so much to me :)
Lookin forward to posting the pumpkin recipes… ;)

Eva | Adventures in Cooking September 24, 2013 at 2:41 am

So beautiful! I love the colors of this cake….But I love the idea of how it tastes even more. Greek yogurt = ftw! And that cake-cutting gif – O.M.G. I’ve got to make some angel food happen in my kitchen stat.

Izy September 25, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Thanks so much Eva! yusss the Greek yogurt is sooo good with the cake because it’s all tangy and creamy!
AND I’VE TOTALLY JUST REALISED I NEED TO COMMENT ON YOUR POSTS OMG AHHHH

Kathryn September 24, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Pretty pretty pretty! I don’t care what season it is, I want to eat this.

Izy September 25, 2013 at 12:08 pm

thanks Kathryn :D me too! cake all year round yaaaay!

Erika September 24, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Wait…you’re not supposed to grease the pan?.. ;) I’d be down with this cake all day errday.. no matter the season.

Izy September 25, 2013 at 12:09 pm

haha I only realised when I was watching a cooking show and there was this whole deal about not greasing the pan for angel food cake and I was just like ‘whaaaa?’
thanks girl!

maya September 24, 2013 at 9:14 pm

izy, it is beyond me why anyone would post anything REMOTELY negative on this gorgeous website.
the equivalent would be to punch a cute kitteh in the face. WHY?

Izy September 25, 2013 at 12:10 pm

well I think some people like punching kittens then :( only rarely though!
Thanks Maya

carey September 25, 2013 at 2:32 am

Yuusssssss, the angel food cake! You know I love angel food cake + strawberries + whipped cream, but that Greek yogurt frosting takes it to a whole ‘nother level of friggin’ awesome. SUMMER FOREVER. I’ll eat pumpkin soup for dinner and five slices of angel food cake for dessert.

And I feel ya on the craziness. Lately I’ve had a lot of days where staring at the computer for a moment longer makes my brain want to melt, and I just have to tell myself to go watch some tv and deal with it later. By winter we’ll be cold and stuck inside, and taking pictures and posting and commenting like it ain’t no thang. That’s what I keep telling myself anyway. ;)

Izy September 25, 2013 at 12:12 pm

HAHA I KNOW FINALLY RIGHT!?
Yayyy balance those seasons out like a pro!

ughh you just put into words how I’ve been feeling for the past few months!
haha winter is totally like blogger season!

Donna September 25, 2013 at 11:57 am

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!….My absolute FAVORITE cake…which hubster detests…made with a REGULAR BUNDT PAN!!…Not only have you disproved the angel-food “absolute” of never greasing…but I thought that here in France, I would NEVER be able to make this (angel-food cake pans are hard to find here)!!

Love its lightness…your fresh, minimal fresh fruit and greek yogurt topping….This is gorgeous…as is your humour and stellar photography…Consider me a fan!…Thanks to Jessica via “How Sweet It Is” blog.

Megan September 25, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Ah mah gawd. I have to have this!!!!!!

Beth @ bethcakes September 25, 2013 at 5:08 pm

This cake is. so. gorgeous.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) September 26, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Prettiest.cake.ever.

Coconuts September 26, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Ohh my goshh, i-need-this-cake!! Right now i mean coconut and frosting and fresh fruits and that fluffiness and and… Definitely gonna try this at weekend.
But… Would you have any idea what could i substitute cream of tartar with? And what amount? It’s just impossible find it here for some reason. I would be so grateful!

Anyway thanks so much for all these superb recipes, they are overly perfect. We’re soon getting an overload of all kind goodies here ;) )

Izzy September 27, 2013 at 10:35 pm

This looks amazing!! I wonder what other fruit/nut combo would be good on top…

By the way, We have the same name…

Ain’t that funny :D

Jamie September 27, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Holy cow this sounds incredible! Can’t wait to try this; thanks for sharing!! Feel free to visit my recipe site http://www.BetterOffHealthy.com.

Bouillon de Notes September 29, 2013 at 9:52 pm

A cake for angel, I love it, how delicious it looks like, I’m sure some people will love it too, thank you:)

Hein October 1, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Just exquisite!

Calgary Caterers October 4, 2013 at 6:49 pm

That looks so tasty. I need to a piece of fruit or something or there’s a 90% chance I’ll have cake for lunch.

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes October 6, 2013 at 9:37 pm

The only time I made an angel food cake I use a special pan that allows space for the cake to fall, didn’t grease, correctly whipped whites, bla bla.. and it was a flop, big time. So I’m going with greased bundt next time. Girl, that cake looks so good you could make a convert out of me!

Jen October 21, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Last time I made angel food cake, it turned into a pile of cake bits that I had to glue back together with boiled icing. So yours looks pretty good. Even if you greased the pan.

Ali January 22, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Hi! Cake looks gorgeous! I’m gonna make it for my friends birthday, but I just had one question – did you use a smaller bundt pan? The recipe calls for 6 egg whites and usually angel food cake can use upwards to 10 egg whites. Thanks!

Izy January 23, 2014 at 12:23 am

Thank you! Hmmm, It was a regular sized bundt pan, but I think that the cake wasn’t as tall as a normal angel food cake.