Pumpkin Spice Coffee

September 27, 2013 · 62 comments in 'How to's,Breakfast,Snacks,Uncategorized

Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee

Behold the smoothest pumpkin spice coffee beverage you’ll ever experience, both in texture and flavour.

This method of filtering the water not only through the coffee grounds, but also the pumpkin spice mixture yields a superior coffee experience.

Yeah, you can make pumpkin spice syrup, but that’s only if you want to be drinking flavoured coffees for a WHILE, it also means you have to then make and store the syrup, plus you’ll probably have really sweet coffee. You could also just add pumpkin spice to your coffee, but you’ll end up choking on the gross spice sediment in your last sip and will lose out on loads of spice-mixy-flavour.

My method is quite a lot simpler. Add the pumpkin spice to the ground coffee. Put in a filter. Pour over water. Sweeten it to whatever degree you prefer and add milk.

It can be done on a whim as no boiling up sugar syrups needs to be done. You can also make as many servings of it as you want right then and there, no matter how many/few, with no more clearing up than usual.

Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee

Some people will probably be wincing. Like, WHY the heck would you DESTROY the beautiful coffee with pumpkin spice you crazy face?

Well, I get a much nicer coffee than a Starbucks pupmpkin spice latte in the end with this method and it’s not like I make this every day; Just a few times. Now that it’s autumn I want to bury myself under blankets, eat gingerbread and drink some flavoured coffee. ‘Kay?

Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee

This is basically just a step-by-step photo thing below showing how I make my coffee. It’s pretty simple so I’m not going to add text between photos. There are a few general things that I’m going to quickly list here though:

• I use about 3 tbsp of coffee beans for my coffee. Generally it’s recommended that you use around 20 g of coffee beans per 200-300 ml of water (a 1:10 or 1:15 ratio). It depends on what strength you prefer your coffee. Make sure you boil a little extra water than what you need.
  • For 1 mug of coffee, I add 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice mix to the coffee grounds.
  • You can make your own pumpkin pie spice mix! Stir together 1/2 tsp ground cloves,  1/2 tsp ground allspice,  1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg,  1 tbsp ground ginger,  3 tbsp ground cinnamon. Store in a lidded jar, using as needed.
  •  The water should be a littler cooler than boiling hot when used
  •  I used a swan neck kettle because it’s easier to control the stream of water as your pour it over the grounds, but you can do it straight from an electric kettle (you just need to be a little more careful)
  •  I also cba to pre-moisten the paper filter with water (and I don’t think I’ve ever had any ‘papery’ flavours as a result of this laziness).
  • I’m using a V60 coffee dripper here (the white funnel thing)
  •  Once the coffee is in the filter, in the dripper, over your vessel of choice, you want to pour in enough water to just saturate the coffee. Let it drain through, then slowly continue to add the water – pour it over the coffee gradually in a spiral, until you have your 200-300 g of brewed coffee.

(and there’s a more wordy, precise, profesh coffee brewing guide by Stumptown here if you want it, because I don’t really have any idea what I’m doing when it comes to coffee)

Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee

Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee

Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee

Pumpkin Spice Drip Coffee

Belinda @themoonblushbaker September 27, 2013 at 9:36 am

Wow really stunning pictures! I love this way of filtering coffee, as my mother used to do it early morning as her breakfast ritual. The pumpkin spice is a nice touch.
It is so interesting in a world of coffee pods and instant stuff, nothing will ever beat old fashion way!

Malin September 27, 2013 at 10:26 am

What a great idea, I will definitely try this and bury myself under a pile of blankets. Yaaay autumn!!

Angie September 27, 2013 at 12:20 pm

This was an excellent post! Creative and informative! I can’t wait to try making some pumpkin spice coffee for myself.

Sydney September 27, 2013 at 3:15 pm

This sounds Ah-mazing!! Seriously, what a great idea!!

Beth @ bethcakes September 27, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Beautiful pictures! Love those gifs. I have never tried anything like this, but it seems pretty easy and better than going out for coffee. :)

Sophia@ NY Foodgasm September 27, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I LOVE this!! My mom has always added spices to her coffee and it is a cheap and natural way to add flavors, not with icky chemicals! I love your blog sooooo much, your pictures and it’s beauty is so inspiring!

Heather September 27, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Absolutely love the way the photos tell the story!

Marta@What should I eat for breakfast today September 27, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I totally enjoy each experiment that includes coffee. Big yes to this one.

Sarah Crowder (punctuated. with food) September 27, 2013 at 6:03 pm

This is how I make mine!!! Loooove the photos. I’m actually working on a verrrry smilar gif :)

Maddy September 27, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I love this post! Such a great idea – I love the pumpkin spice lattes but didn’t want to make a whole syrup at home, so this is the BEST combo for me. Thanks for the tip!

- M

Eva | Adventures in Cooking September 27, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Love all these photos, and the spice mix sounds wonderful. I have one of those McCormick ready-made pumpkin pie spice mixes in the cabinet, never though of adding it to my coffee, though. SUPER excited to toss it in now. Hurray for fall!!!

Monica September 27, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Oh my god I love pumpkin spice coffee! But I don’t like to buy the expensive stuff loaded with sugar and junk so this is perfect. Also, love the gif of the milk being poured into the coffee. Could you possibly use a french press for this? I don’t have a coffee dripper :(

Izy September 27, 2013 at 9:19 pm

yes!! a French press will deffo work too! :)

ali happer September 27, 2013 at 8:44 pm

this is genius! you are a smarty pants!
& I think you explained it perfectly.
excited to try this out, thank you!

Ann September 27, 2013 at 11:52 pm

This is off tangent but..can I please say how much I love you hair? I love the curls and how caramelly they are! Pea green with envy.

Izy September 30, 2013 at 9:32 pm

ahaha thanks so much! Sometimes I love my hair, sometimes (on the frizzy, humid days) I hate it!

Katie @ 24 Carrot Life September 28, 2013 at 1:20 am

This is such a smart idea! I don’t have pumpkin spice where I am living for about 9 months but I have cinnamon. I’m going to try mixing it with my coffee grounds in a regular coffee pot to see how it turns out. You are so creative!

Maria September 28, 2013 at 2:25 am

I am not a fan of the PSL. Too sweet and way to fakey tasting in my opinion. This, I gotta try tho. We’ve a long weekend of blustery weather in Seattle, so this and gingerbread and cozy blankets are definitely in my future. :)

Coconuts September 28, 2013 at 4:31 am

Seriously Izy !!? This is amazing! How on earth you do all this? Love all the pics and those gifs, they’re just getting my mouth dropping… Fabulous as always, this post really doesn’t help at all to my coffee addiction :D

Ps. Would you be so kind to answer my question on the langel food cake post :) (what can i substitute cream of tartar with)

Izy September 29, 2013 at 9:07 pm

thank you!!

I thin you can probably just use an equal amount of lemon juice instead of cream of tartar (as they’re both acids)

BerryBloomXO September 28, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Gahh I wish that pumpkin spice was more readily available in the UK – it sounds so yummy!
I do, however, have a Chai Tea Latte Recipe you may enjoy:

xoxo,

jennie @sundayswithjennie September 28, 2013 at 3:19 pm

what a great post! The photos are incredible!!

Dani September 28, 2013 at 4:36 pm

I love this! I’ve been meaning to get one of those single-serve drip coffee makers to add to the rest of my coffee paraphernalia & keep putting it off. I think it’s time to buy myself a gift!

Do you think you could do the same in a coffee pot? Adding the pumpkin pie spice into the brew basket in a similar fashion?

Izy September 29, 2013 at 9:08 pm

thanks! they’re so useful :)

Yes you deffo can do that :)

Katie September 28, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Izy, you should feature in your photos a bit more! I feel like I know you from your food and could recognise one of your photos from a mile off but never get to know YOU! Gorgeous photos as per usual!

Katie <3

The Delicate Place (@misathemeb) September 29, 2013 at 2:10 pm

welp. that’s just about perfeecccct! thank you! trader joes..you’ll do in a pinch but i’ve got some p-spice coffee to whip up!

Ashley September 29, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Hmmm, this would probably go perfect with pumpkin doughnuts, don’t you think? ;) Awesome photos (duh)!

Amani September 29, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I love how coffee smells and bet this smells ah-mayyyyyzing! Too bad I can’t drink coffee :/
Imma tea person fo’life.

Cheri | Kitchen Simplicity September 29, 2013 at 5:42 pm

So simple and yet so brilliant. Can’t wait to try it.

Tova September 30, 2013 at 12:54 am

I came across your blog and this post through a link on pinterest and I just have to say how much I am loving this idea. The part of me that’s kind of a coffee snob is always at odds with the part of me that has a weakness for pumpkin spice lattes, but this seems like the best of both worlds. Yay!!

Shelly September 30, 2013 at 1:59 am

I love this idea! I also find the syrups to be too sweet but love a tiny of spices in my coffee during the cooler months and this is a perfect way to keep the cinnamon from getting stuck in your throat! Love it.

Jessica September 30, 2013 at 5:26 am

Sounds good! I’ll be trying this tomorrow morning! Where is the necklace in the photos from?..so cute!

Bridget October 1, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Love the necklace too! Looks very Tom Binns-esque!

Izy October 3, 2013 at 8:50 am

Thanks! my mum made the neckalce for me :)

ATasteOfMadness September 30, 2013 at 6:10 am

Wow, your photos are gorgeous! And pumpkin is my favorite. This post made my day!

Nicole September 30, 2013 at 2:14 pm

I can’t wait to try this! What a great way to get the flavor without all the added sugar of the syrups. I adore the photos as well!

lucinda September 30, 2013 at 6:14 pm

I wish I would’ve seen this yesterday to have been able to make one in honor of Natinal Coffee Day, but we have all fall to enjoy pumkin spice coffee so there’s plenty time. And really, who needs an excuse? You’re photos make the drink that much more enticing tho – beatuiful photos!

Sarah September 30, 2013 at 9:23 pm

This is brilliant! I’ll definitely have to try it.

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe September 30, 2013 at 10:17 pm

You are a genius. I can’t stand PSL’s at Starbuck’s or other coffee chains because they just taste so fake and awful to me. I love this idea. Now I just need to find one of those white filter things.

Shikha October 1, 2013 at 7:48 pm

This is fantastic! I especially like the GIFs. Beautiful photos and such a great idea to get the pumpkin flavor without having to spend $4+ every time. How much do those coffee drips usually cost?

Izy October 1, 2013 at 7:54 pm

thank you!! I think you can get the ceramic V60 ones for about £15

Rebecca October 2, 2013 at 2:40 am

Hey Izy!
Just wanted to give a shoutout to a fellow teen blogger and say that I love your recipes and photos! Keep up the good work and hopefully I’ll get to that level of photography sometime soon :P

Abbie October 3, 2013 at 1:45 am

This is such a fabulous idea! I’ve never liked flavored coffees, on account of how they taste more like corn syrup with MSG and maybe some cinnamon in there.. somewhere. But this coffee looks AWESOME.
and oh my gosh. YOUR HAIR IS SO PRETTY. just saying.
great post – pinning this!

Claire October 3, 2013 at 3:40 am

beautiful

Leta October 4, 2013 at 2:52 am

Great idea! I’m an espresso girl.. so I’m going to try 1 teaspoon of spice in the bottom of the filter basket, then ground coffee on top..then make espresso.

Ezzirah October 6, 2013 at 1:33 pm

This rocks! Wow!

And you drink coffee out of a mason jar! You are my kind of coffee drinker!

Adrienne October 7, 2013 at 12:47 am

Really glad I found your blog. Your photography is absolutely gorgeous, great recipes and inspiring design. Awesome work!

sophie October 7, 2013 at 7:34 am

I’m from Australia, so this whole ‘pumpkin spice’ craze is a pretty foreign concept- especially as we are in spring and the days have been 25 degrees. But i tried it and loved it- got to love a way to flavour coffee without making it sickly sweet. A total success!

Lily @ Life, Love, and Cupcakes October 16, 2013 at 1:31 pm

When I was in college my roommate was usually the first one up and would make coffee for the both of us. She always added cinnamon to the grounds before brewing it and I loved it that way! I don’t know why I haven’t even though of doing it since, but I think I’ll do either that or pumpkin spice in the morning!
Beautiful pictures, btw!