Browned Butter, Caramel & Coconut Skillet Apple Crumble

October 21, 2013 · 40 comments in Tarts and Pies,Uncategorized

Browned Butter, Caramel & Coconut Skillet Apple Crumble

The light is gradually getting more and more grey here – especially today when it started TIPPING down with rain. It makes it actually more believable to me that it’s October – I’m used to the rain, I expect it. That and how the supermarkets are all lined with purple/black/green aisles because Halloween is coming! But, because I’m going away for two weeks I’m essentially missing it, so I pulled out the weird thin, curvy, serrated knife that I’ve only ever known for the purpose of carving pumpkins and made my jack-o-lantern for this year.

(Yeah I suck at cutting in straight lines, shhhhhhh. Shhhh.)

Browned Butter, Caramel & Coconut Skillet Apple Crumble

Yeah all those pinterest-y decorated pumpkins in slideshows called things like ’10 ways to decorate a pumpkin with no carving!’ are pretty cool. My issue is that I actually love carving pumpkins. I’d rather have the fun of carving it and end up with some crappy, weird-faced ‘monster’ pumpkin cos I get to pull out all the pumpkin innards with my bare hands (any one else find it enjoyable? I used to HATE that part but now I find it so satisfying) and have that pumpkin-y aroma drifting through the kitchen.

Much nicer than the aroma of gold spray paint, nail varnish or glue, right? ;)

Browned Butter, Caramel & Coconut Skillet Apple Crumble

I had more photos of this crumble in the ‘set’ but a) it was way darker than the counter-top and b) some photos ended up looking waaay too ‘country-life’ for me and I had to delete those files immediately.

Browned Butter, Caramel & Coconut Skillet Apple Crumble

(Heeeey random squash on the counter)

Apple crumble is my dad’s a.b.s.o.l.u.t.e. favourite dessert ever. He, however “hates” coconut. I say “hate” because he says he hates it and then eats it ALL THE TIME when it’s in desserts, so he’d probably eat this and really like it. I haven’t had the apple/coconut/caramel/cinnamon combo in a while, but last time I had it was in crepes and it was delicious. 10/10 would recommend.  Burying the caramelised apples in a layer of crunchy, oaty crumble just takes it over the top —> and bonus points! Warm it up on the stove, and serve with yogurt for breakfast with the biggest mug-full of tea you can get. Living right.

Browned Butter, Caramel & Coconut Skillet Apple Crumble

2 tbsp desiccated or shredded coconut
For the topping:
1/4 cup (30 g) flour
1/3 cup (30 g) oats
2 tbsp cane sugar (demerara) or brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat your oven to 350 F (180 C)

In a small skillet melt the butter. Cook over a medium heat until it foams up and smells nutty. Pour 2 tbsp of the browned butter into a bowl and set aside.

Add the sugar, milk and salt to the skillet and stir in. Heat on medium until it starts to bubble, reduce to a low heat and leave to caramelise. Meanwhile cut the apple into slices, and the slices in half. Once the caramel has been cooking for about 3 minutes stir in the vanilla, then add the sliced apple and coconut. Leave to cook on a low heat whilst you make the topping.

Add the flour, sugar, oats and cinnamon to the browned butter in the bowl. Use your fingers to rub the butter into the dry ingredients. Scatter this mixture over the appley caramel mixture, remove from the heat and put straight into the oven for 15 minutes.

Belinda @themoonblushbaker October 21, 2013 at 12:24 am

Gorgeous! I hope you have a good trip, you deserve a good break

Rochelle @ Oh So Sweet Baker October 21, 2013 at 12:47 am

This look delicious. I love how much light you get even in the darker months. I have a 10minute window of good lighting in my house

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate October 21, 2013 at 1:03 am

I like how this is a good ratio of filling to crumble. You need LOTS of crumble! Also, I love the coconut :)

Sarah | The Sugar Hit October 21, 2013 at 2:44 am

That lantern is sweet! And the crumble looks awesome too. All the coconut please.

Natasha October 21, 2013 at 3:41 am

I just made apple crumble this weekend! …mine had bourbon and coconut oil, and it was dang good. As it turns out, I love coconut and apple together. Seems like you already knew it’s a genius combination, as this looks wonderful. Also, your jack-o-lantern is friggin adorable!

Katy October 21, 2013 at 3:52 am

Delicious. I tried apple slices dipped in coconut butter once and it was a weirdly fantastic combo, so I bet they would be amazing together in a crumble.

Ala October 21, 2013 at 5:26 am

Lord. You said “get the biggest mug-ful of tea you can get,” which my brain read as “get the biggest mug you can get and stuff it with apple crumble for breakfast.” Soooo…I’m pretty you have like, an entire line of typo there, because my brain is never wrong about this stuff. This and the Wanna Marry Me cookies I just made today and need to post. Brekkie tomorrow–it’s a date. Thankyooou.

Monica October 21, 2013 at 7:24 am

Apple crumble is one of my family’s favorite desserts that I make, especially for this season! I can only imagine the deliciousness with browned butter and coconut. Yum and yum!

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal October 21, 2013 at 7:58 am

Coconut skillet… my oh my. I am tasting it in my head already.

Becca @ Crumbs October 21, 2013 at 8:55 am

I LOVE crumble, and English classic =)

Kezia October 21, 2013 at 9:16 am

Every single word in the title of this post makes me want to eat this right now! I love your skillet btw, I need to get one of those soon! My family all say they don’t like coconut but always manage to eat coconut cookies etc without too much trouble so I think they are just all lying to me!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar October 21, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I need this to appear in my body. LOVE!

Sophia@ NY Foodgasm October 21, 2013 at 3:23 pm

This looks so easy and AMAZING! Now I just need a nice skillet like this one!

jacquelyn |lark&linen October 21, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Oh dear, this sounds delicious!

Demetria Provatas October 21, 2013 at 4:05 pm

ohhh man, looks so good. so perfect for this weather. coconut’s such a good idea!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking October 21, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Brown butter and caramel! Oh good god. I would eat that entire skillet by myself! My dad hates coconut too. He said he ate too much when he was in the army and stationed in Hawaii, rough life. I love how the coconut is just in the background and the buttery-caramely-apples steal the show. Oh! And I love the feeling of pumpkin guts!!! Makes me feel like a little kid again.

Billy October 21, 2013 at 5:55 pm

YES PLEASE RIGHT NOW THANK YOU.

Anne October 21, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Your pictures are so beautiful and this crumble looks so good. I don’t think I could resist eating it all right away!

phi @PrincessTofu October 21, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I love your feet in the first photo! Precious.

Kathryn October 21, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I didn’t think it was possible for apple crumble to get any better but I think you’ve managed it here!

Cookie and Kate October 22, 2013 at 5:56 am

Brown butter makes everything better! This crumble looks incredible.

Trisha October 22, 2013 at 3:03 pm

looks so delicious and KRUNCHAY! x

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe October 22, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I love things that are baked in skillets. However, then I am tempted to eat the entire “serving.” This crumble looks magnificent!

Jen @ Savory Simple October 23, 2013 at 4:18 am

Stunning. Just stunning.

Shelly October 24, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Love love love the flavor combination of this crumble! And I am such a huge fan of making skillet baked goods since it means less dishes later.

sweetpea darlingheart October 25, 2013 at 1:09 am

Wow, looks delicious as always! I do love your little toes in the first pic too, pretty in pink! I bet this baby made the house smell mighty good, I’m going to save this recipe for next Winter xx

Coty and Mariah@quirksandtwists October 26, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Gorgeous pictures! Love this combination!

Abbie October 31, 2013 at 3:43 pm

This apple crumble looks SO AMAZING. oh my gosh. Brown butter and coconut feels so right.
Pinned!

Elisa November 1, 2013 at 8:39 am

I cannot even begin to say how excited I am to try this recipe!

Thank you for another excellent recipe which sits on just the naughty side of healthy! This is definitely going to be my Guy Fawkes night dessert!

Elisa x

Rebecka November 2, 2013 at 2:35 pm

This was absolutely delicious although I somehow I totally converted the cups wrong. Sucks to not live in a cup-country. It was totally amazing anywaysss.

Gaby @ NutellaIsMaFella November 5, 2013 at 8:58 pm

This looks so delicious , the combinations absoloutely perfect, cannot WAIT to make this!

Kylie November 10, 2013 at 12:44 am

That looks absolutely delicious! I want to make this right now!

maria at inredningsvis November 10, 2013 at 6:58 pm

MMMM it looks SO DELISH:) I like your blog and Im now following.

Check out my blog….Swedish decor and yummy recipies:)

Have a wonderful week dear

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis – The Swedish home decor blog

Dallas February 7, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Looks delicious! How many does this recipe serve? Would you recommend doubling or tripling the recipe to serve 8-10?

Izy February 8, 2014 at 2:53 pm

it serves 2-3 so i’d say triple or quadruple the recipe

Sophia @ NY Foodgasm February 8, 2014 at 9:56 pm

This looks really good, you seem to really do well with these skillet desserts, I need a skillet!