Pumpkin Pancakes {GF}

Pumpkin Pancakes

Wow are we sick of pumpkin or what.

I’m picking ‘what’. We love decorative squash season – they’re just SO cute. Like the succulents of the Autumn/Winter!

I have to get all these luminous recipes in before it’s November and everyone is all ‘ew what are you even doing. Orange food isn’t allowed after October. Leave Izy, you’re a disgrace’

Pumpkin Pancakes

I’ve been harboring this post for a few weeks now. You can even check my instagram, it’s pretty much like a food idea alibi.

p.s. I always have a back-log of posts. Then I get paranoid that if other people post similar recipes before me, it’ll look like I’ve completely copied them. ‘What. hah. No. This literally was my idea. My brain using is how I made it with the ingredients ye…is that the door, oh WOW I have GOT to go….’  *heavy breathing*

and YES the first and last photo are the same (different crop though) because for some reason I got really over zealous with reducing the exposure of the photo. I liked the drama of the contrast……and the pumpkin-pancake beacon effect. I even did a test shot  of my hand to get the right focus, and ended up with a creepy b & w hand photo (yes I am going to show you. Deal with it)

006

What even is my hand?

I appreciate that the dramatic photos look incredibly weird (especially because I had flesh coloured nail varnish on) so I also included a non-artsy photo for you.

Pumpkin Pancakes

Pumpkin Pancakes
Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tbsp ground ginger
3 tbsp ground cinnamon
Pumpkin pancakes
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (or use butternut squash puree for sweeter pancakes)
2 eggs
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice mix (see above, if you don't have any)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup oat flour, almond meal, whole wheat flour
vegetable/ coconut oil for frying
(I also topped mine with Greek yogurt mixed with a little powdered sugar - like faux cream cheese frosting, some pecans and golden syrup).

Stir together all the pancake ingredients (excluding the oil) in a small bowl. Heat a skillet with a little vegetable or coconut oil and add a heaped tablespoon of batter - you might need to spread it out a little with the back of the spoon.

Let the batter cook over a medium-low heat until golden brown underneath, then flip and continue to cook until the other side is golden. Repeat with all of the batter.

Stack em up and serve!

Comments

Woah. I didn’t realize how small those were until I saw that they’re all stacked onto one fork. I love the lighting in the photos!

Totally DITTO!
      And I’m so impressed at how thy didn’t fall off and how you didn’t freak out when you have maple syrup drool on your thumb!!
      x x x

So cute the way you styled this! However I feel that sweet potato and pears need to be looked after too. Who can forget the classic sweet potato pie and pear crisp? Honey sweet potatoes are next fave(made bagels with the lef tovers on todays blog) to pumpkin spice and maple; maybe I should try them in a pancak.e

Do not feel bad about the back up, I have so many too. Yes the dramatic exposure kills me sometimes

Hoooly moly those look absolutely dreamy. This is the perfect autumnal twist I need to add to my pancakes.. that I am currently addicted to. In fact I have been sitting in bed for the past hour trying to stop myself from venturing downstairs to the kitchen and whipping up a batch. This post may be about to tip me over the edge! As always a brilliantly funny post with mouth-wateringly wonderful photos. Such a talented girlie! X
    myuniyears.com

Can I just say 6 letters? – G.e.n.i.u.s.

Awesome combination! I have never thought of putting pumpkin in my pancakes, but this takes the cake (get it? Ok I’ll stop now.)

I made my pancakes before with pure almond meal, an egg, and a banana and this might be a great way to add some extra flavor to that!

Mmmm….I am totally going to eat orange food after October. I’ve even been known to have orange food in the summer. These look delicious and if you hadn’t said that the first and last photo were the same, I might not have noticed. I like what you did with the crop and the lighting to change it up.

Fabulous. And we enjoy the hand pics no matter how distracting they may be…I’ve recently fallen in love with your recipes and hope you wont keep us too at bay while you’re visiting the States.
    Travel safe. Thanks for all your creativity and time.

Angela

7. Denise says

Hello. Someone told me about your blog and “Cooking With Mr. C.” on Facebook. I look forward to looking through your blog. Denise

Wow, I didn’t even notice your hand until I read your explanation. Not sure whether this is an oversight indicative of my complete mental fatigue, or…or…never mind. Please just feed me now. Also, I have pumpkin in May. If I have to listen to Christmas Songs in like, October, people can deal with my weird aseasonal cravings.

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but the post I was reading before this one was pumpkin pancakes. ‘Tis the season! haha your photos look gorggggg!

I know exactly what you mean about feeling like you did/did not copy someones idea…it happens, it just means we’re full of good ideas (HA!).
    and, I am loving these photos. I even made my husband look at them while I talked about how cool they were.

There is something incredibly original about your work, Izzy. It’s so freakin’ creative, I can’t stand it. I’m not sure exactly what you’re studying in school but it’s clear that you have pure talent with food photography. You’re writing and recipes aren’t too shabby either. ;)

12. hadar says

Izy,
    your blog is amazing! I love your photographing and your recipes and making them for any event!
    recentley, i tried to subscribe my email adress in the “box” above and it isn’t working… i tried a few times and nothing happens in my email inbox… what should i do?
    thank you! :)

I’m jealous of your backlog of posts. I wish I had a backlog! I totally get what you mean about the paranoia too. We might be sick of pumpkin but I think there has to be an exception made for pumpkin pancakes that look this good! (And maybe pumpkin scones, they are good anytime of the year.)

Trackbacks