Pumpkin Pancakes

October 15, 2013 · 51 comments in Breakfast

Pumpkin Pancakes

Wow are we sick of pumpkin or what.

I’m picking ‘what’. We love decorative squash season – they’re just SO cute. Like the succulents of the Autumn/Winter!

I have to get all these luminous recipes in before it’s November and everyone is all ‘ew what are you even doing. Orange food isn’t allowed after October. Leave Izy, you’re a disgrace’

Pumpkin Pancakes

I’ve been harboring this post for a few weeks now. You can even check my instagram, it’s pretty much like a food idea alibi.

p.s. I always have a back-log of posts. Then I get paranoid that if other people post similar recipes before me, it’ll look like I’ve completely copied them. ‘What. hah. No. This literally was my idea. My brain using is how I made it with the ingredients ye…is that the door, oh WOW I have GOT to go….’ ย *heavy breathing*

and YES the first and last photo are the same (different crop though) because for some reason I got really over zealous with reducing the exposure of the photo. I liked the drama of the contrast……and the pumpkin-pancake beacon effect. I even did a test shot ย of my hand to get the right focus, and ended up with a creepy b & w hand photo (yes I am going to show you. Deal with it)

006

What even is my hand?

I appreciate that the dramatic photos look incredibly weird (especially because I had flesh coloured nail varnish on) so I also included a non-artsy photo for you.

Pumpkin Pancakes

Pumpkin Pancakes
Pumpkin Pie Spice Mix
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tbsp ground ginger
3 tbsp ground cinnamon
Pumpkin pancakes
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (or use butternut squash puree for sweeter pancakes)
2 eggs
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice mix (see above, if you don't have any)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup oat flour, almond meal, whole wheat flour
vegetable/ coconut oil for frying
(I also topped mine with Greek yogurt mixed with a little powdered sugar - like faux cream cheese frosting, some pecans and golden syrup).

Stir together all the pancake ingredients (excluding the oil) in a small bowl. Heat a skillet with a little vegetable or coconut oil and add a heaped tablespoon of batter - you might need to spread it out a little with the back of the spoon.

Let the batter cook over a medium-low heat until golden brown underneath, then flip and continue to cook until the other side is golden. Repeat with all of the batter.

Stack em up and serve!

Amy October 15, 2013 at 12:56 am

Woah. I didn’t realize how small those were until I saw that they’re all stacked onto one fork. I love the lighting in the photos!

Ibbs October 18, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Totally DITTO!
And I’m so impressed at how thy didn’t fall off and how you didn’t freak out when you have maple syrup drool on your thumb!!
x x x

Belinda @themoonblushbaker October 15, 2013 at 1:02 am

So cute the way you styled this! However I feel that sweet potato and pears need to be looked after too. Who can forget the classic sweet potato pie and pear crisp? Honey sweet potatoes are next fave(made bagels with the lef tovers on todays blog) to pumpkin spice and maple; maybe I should try them in a pancak.e

Do not feel bad about the back up, I have so many too. Yes the dramatic exposure kills me sometimes

India October 15, 2013 at 1:09 am

Hoooly moly those look absolutely dreamy. This is the perfect autumnal twist I need to add to my pancakes.. that I am currently addicted to. In fact I have been sitting in bed for the past hour trying to stop myself from venturing downstairs to the kitchen and whipping up a batch. This post may be about to tip me over the edge! As always a brilliantly funny post with mouth-wateringly wonderful photos. Such a talented girlie! X
myuniyears.com

Kartik @ Bakeology 101 October 15, 2013 at 1:30 am

Can I just say 6 letters? – G.e.n.i.u.s.

Awesome combination! I have never thought of putting pumpkin in my pancakes, but this takes the cake (get it? Ok I’ll stop now.)

I made my pancakes before with pure almond meal, an egg, and a banana and this might be a great way to add some extra flavor to that!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar October 15, 2013 at 1:33 am

I need to get a fork and start cooking!

Abby @ The Frosted Vegan October 15, 2013 at 1:40 am

I mean, stop it with those gorgeous photos!! Dang gurl DANG

Katy October 15, 2013 at 1:58 am

Mmmmโ€ฆ.I am totally going to eat orange food after October. I’ve even been known to have orange food in the summer. These look delicious and if you hadn’t said that the first and last photo were the same, I might not have noticed. I like what you did with the crop and the lighting to change it up.

Sarah | The Sugar Hit October 15, 2013 at 2:13 am

Oh man, pancakes.

Monica October 15, 2013 at 2:16 am

that last shot… ho baby! drippy syrup never looked so good.

M.

Angela @ Canned Time October 15, 2013 at 2:20 am

Fabulous. And we enjoy the hand pics no matter how distracting they may be…I’ve recently fallen in love with your recipes and hope you wont keep us too at bay while you’re visiting the States.
Travel safe. Thanks for all your creativity and time.

Angela

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) October 15, 2013 at 2:21 am

Those pancakes seriously just made me smile. They are gorgeous!

Denise October 15, 2013 at 3:11 am

Hello. Someone told me about your blog and “Cooking With Mr. C.” on Facebook. I look forward to looking through your blog. Denise

Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine October 15, 2013 at 3:11 am

I’d go with “or what” too! Just when I think I’m tired of pumpkin, I only want more. These pancakes look beautiful.

Ala October 15, 2013 at 3:16 am

Wow, I didn’t even notice your hand until I read your explanation. Not sure whether this is an oversight indicative of my complete mental fatigue, or…or…never mind. Please just feed me now. Also, I have pumpkin in May. If I have to listen to Christmas Songs in like, October, people can deal with my weird aseasonal cravings.

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate October 15, 2013 at 4:05 am

Love the pictures! They are so mini!!

Joanna October 15, 2013 at 4:07 am

these look amazing!! i’m obsessed with all things pumpkin (for obvious reasons) and pancakes are a great idea :)

Crumblyandcrispy October 15, 2013 at 5:06 am

Wow , i love those pictures, they are so beautiful :)

Jennifer October 15, 2013 at 6:21 am

I will never be sick of pumpkin!

xo Jennifer

Becca @ Crumbs October 15, 2013 at 8:19 am

I have yet to have my first bite of pumpkin, they’ve only just come into my supermarket here in the UK!

Maja October 15, 2013 at 11:20 am

I absolutely love the lighting in the first pic! First thing that came to mind before I even read the post.

Trisha October 15, 2013 at 11:35 am

I haven’t even started with pumpkin yet – I WANT THESE and MORE PUMPKIN… forever and ever. x

Sophie October 15, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but the post I was reading before this one was pumpkin pancakes. ‘Tis the season! haha your photos look gorggggg!

Katie October 15, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Oh my – Please stop! I’m getting cravings! Looks so delicious!

P.S. I like the creepy hand photo… it’s arty!

Sophia@ NY Foodgasm October 15, 2013 at 3:12 pm

LOVE this! Looks beautiful and well I am still in pumpkin mode!! YES! Did you shoot in natural light?

amy October 15, 2013 at 4:00 pm

i LOVE this – you never fail to make me crave EVERYTHING you make!

I didn’t even like pumpkin until you started posting all these pumpkin recipes. What have you done to me?!… seriously!

dana October 15, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I think my jaw just hit the floor. GORGEOUS photos girl.

Millie October 15, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Looks lovely, and that hand photo is super artsy!!

Mimi October 15, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Wow.

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal October 16, 2013 at 12:08 am

Wow, like a work of art – seriously.

Lynn Chen October 16, 2013 at 2:41 am

without a doubt, the prettiest pumpkin pancakes i’ve seen so far!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking October 16, 2013 at 2:48 am

i love your photos and no your hand is not creepy! the bright orange and dripping syrup is beautiful!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) October 16, 2013 at 4:16 am

Love it all! The dripping syrup is the BEST.

Jade Sheldon-Burnsed October 16, 2013 at 5:30 am

You never cease to inspire me… and crack me up, haha! Sweet lord, I love pumpkin but totally wish I didn’t because so does everyone else! These look incredible…

Erika October 16, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Get outta here… that syrup dripping over a perfect face smashing portion of pancake stacks just made my day..

cindy October 16, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I know exactly what you mean about feeling like you did/did not copy someones idea…it happens, it just means we’re full of good ideas (HA!).
and, I am loving these photos. I even made my husband look at them while I talked about how cool they were.

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health October 17, 2013 at 5:06 am

There is something incredibly original about your work, Izzy. It’s so freakin’ creative, I can’t stand it. I’m not sure exactly what you’re studying in school but it’s clear that you have pure talent with food photography. You’re writing and recipes aren’t too shabby either. ;)

hadar October 17, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Izy,
your blog is amazing! I love your photographing and your recipes and making them for any event!
recentley, i tried to subscribe my email adress in the “box” above and it isn’t working… i tried a few times and nothing happens in my email inbox… what should i do?
thank you! :)

Steph October 17, 2013 at 11:12 pm

I’m jealous of your backlog of posts. I wish I had a backlog! I totally get what you mean about the paranoia too. We might be sick of pumpkin but I think there has to be an exception made for pumpkin pancakes that look this good! (And maybe pumpkin scones, they are good anytime of the year.)

Heather October 18, 2013 at 10:11 pm

The first picture is absolutely incredible.

Shikha October 22, 2013 at 1:13 am

Your photography is excellent – I can’t get over it!!!

Sam October 22, 2013 at 1:39 am

Hi! I was wondering how many regular sized pancakes this recipe would make?

Erica Lea | Buttered Side Up October 22, 2013 at 3:34 am

Oh wow, what a creative, amazing shot! Love it. And I’m not anywhere NEAR being sick of pumpkin yet. :D

Meghan Donovan October 23, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Is is oat, almond, or whole wheat flour or all three?

Izy October 24, 2013 at 3:06 am

You can use which ever flour you want :) or I guess you could use a mixture