Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies with Pomegranate Salt

Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies with Pomegranate Salt {GF}

I hope everyone who celebrates Thanksgiving had an awesome Thursday! I made rugelach (Alice Medrich’s dough) with loads of different fillings –

apricot jam, bittersweet chocolate, ground coffee

cashew butter, almond extract, raspberry jam

raspberry jam, desiccated coconut

apricot jam, caster sugar, ground cloves + cinnamon

…in case you were wondering. (I’m also making that note for myself because they were DELICIOUS filling combos. Pat on my own back. woohoo)

and of course MAPLE PECAN PIE. Favourite dessert. HeeelllLO.

Homemade Pomegranate Salt

My mum (who p.s. made all the pretty ceramics I used in this post) also made peanut butter cookies dipped in chocolate and crushed walnuts….which is where the partial inspiration for these cookies came from!

I had been cutting a pomegranate in half last week and of course all the pomegranate juice went everywhere – I’m pretty sure I had some on my face – and some splashed into the salt bowl. It stained the salt a super pretty pink colour. Needless to say, when I saw it I dumped a bunch more pomegranate juice in because THAT PINK SALT IS BEAUTEOUS. And then I had to wrack my brains to think of a cool way to convince everyone else to make the salt by sprinkling it on stuff.

The stuff ended up being Peanut Butter Cookies and Chocolate – duh.

Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies with Pomegranate Salt {GF}

Also guys, it’s the FIRST OF DECEMBER tomorrow. And I think we all know what that means.

It will officially be  the holiday season!

Non-stop ultra-warm jumpers, watching Love Actually, drinking pepperminty hot chocolate, scarves (so many scarves) and Christmas music for cooking/dancing/cycling. YEAH.

But also erm, cookies, or as Carey has put it ‘full-on holiday treat mode’ – agreed.

Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies with Pomegranate Salt {GF} Homemade Pomegranate Salt

Winter baking is the best, because standing in front of an oven is ah-mazing when you’re cold. It means I don’t leave the kitchen for that 10-minute-ish cookie baking period so I don’t burn things! (I have a tendency to sometimes abandon things in the oven and then become ‘timer-deaf’. It isn’t good)

3 reasons (salt sprinkling, holidays, oven-hand-warmer) to bake cookies now. Okay yep, I didn’t need any more convincing than that.

Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies with Pomegranate Salt {GF}

Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies with Pomegranate Salt {GF}

The peanut butter cookies I made were slightly different to my mum’s – I halved the recipe, used butter instead of shortening and oat flour instead of all-purpose. I like how the oats gives them some nubbly texture and also a bigger protein/fiber boost. Mo’ health, mo’ cookies, you know it. Plus it also makes them conveniently wheat free so I can feed them to everyone I know, heh heh heeehhh.

Homemade Pomegranate Salt

But also I used baking powder instead of baking soda. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before, but I hate using just baking soda in things like cookies. I can taste it so strongly, it grosses me out. I mean, there’s no acid for it to react with so you just end up with this yellow residue and weird flavour. Cookie let down, major town. The baking soda also normally makes things spread more, so because I used powder I got cute little plump cookies 😀

Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies with Pomegranate Salt {GF}

So seriously if the cookies haven’t convinced you to make the salt, it’s so gorgeous, you should just make it anyway. You can put it in a jar and gift it to people as is. It’s so SPARKLY and icy-looking. Ahhhh.

Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies with Pomegranate Salt {GF}

Pomegranate Salt
Maldon salt (or another flaky salt - might work with fleur de sel too)
Pomegranate juice

Either get pomegranate juice from when you cut a pomegranate in half, from crushing some pomegranate arils (seeds), or store-bought pomegranate juice.

Use a spoon or pastry brush to splatter a piece of parchment paper with a little pomegranate juice. Sprinkle a few table spoons of salt over parchment paper and use a fork to gently stir. Splash on a bit more pomegranate juice if needed. Stir until all the salt is coated. Spread out out carefully over the piece of parchment paper and leave to dry.

Once dried, store in a small jar or bowl.

Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies

Yield: about 20 cookies

You can use an equal volume of all-purpose flour if you want. If you are intolerant to gluten, make sure you use certified GF oats in this recipe.

1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup cane sugar (or demerara or brown sugar)
1 egg
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup oat flour (this is just oats ground up in a food processor until fine)
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup roughly chopped bittersweet chocolate
Pomegranate salt (see recipe above) or flaky salt, for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Cream together the first 6 ingredients until smooth. Stir in the oat flour. Scoop tablespoons of dough onto the lined cookie sheet, spacing them about 2-inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden underneath and on the edges. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Melt (and temper if you want to) the chocolate. Dip one half of each cookie into the chocolate and place onto a piece of parchment paper. Sprinkle with some pomegranate salt (or normal flaky salt) and leave to set.

Comments

What a wonderful accident! These cookies look so beautiful, and I love the contrast of the pretty pink salt against the dark chocolate.

PS I love the bowl that you have the salt in. Your Mum is one talented lady.

ohmygod. I need all of this! I want my hair to be that pink salt and I need dem cookies like whoa whoa whoa. Also: total ramona eyes for that small bowl the salt’s in. like major Ramona eyes.

Pink salt hair – i want that too please (I have actually had pink dip-dyed hair before and it was the same colour as this salt haha).

I am in LOVE with your mom’s pottery. That black plate!! What a talented family. Not even sure what to say about these photos or this recipe….Stunning.

OH MY GOSH IT’S SALT.
    SALT WITH POMEGRANATE JUICE.
    SALT THAT IS AMAZINGLY PINK AND GORGEOUS.
    SALT THAT IS AMAZINGLY PINK AND GORGEOUS IN A GLASS JAR.
    ……this post has made my day. amen.
    thank you.
    pinning!!

5. Elizabeth says

I’ve been waiting to make peanut butter cookies and now you have pushed me over the edge. Dipping it in chocolate is out of this world. As always your photography and text is perfection. Adoring you from across the ocean….

OMG…POMEGRANATE. SALT.

So right in the middle of all my day-before-Thanksgiving prep on Wednesday I got a wicked craving for chocolate + salt + pomegranate, and I wound up making some ugly-but-delicious untempered mendiants. I think we must be on some sort of similar wavelength. (All that stuff ON cookies would have been even better, but I knew I’d snack on way too many and risk ruining the state of Maximum Hunger I was trying to achieve for Thanksgiving.)

I cannot get over how beautiful that salt is. I thought candied herbs were the new sprinkles, but now I think it should be salt. Pink salt.

Viva holiday treat mode!

Uuum dude, totally on the same wavelength all the time.

You know how you made those blue bottle cookies a while ago and then sandwiched them with jam and pomegranate? I WAS TOTALLY GOING TO MAKE THOSE and then sprinkle them with the pom salt but I thought the salt probably wouldn’t show up enough in the photos :( buuut I think I will be making them soon for the christmas treat time

Thanks Carey! candied herbs are awesome, I think I’ll probably end up with a collection of ‘alternative sprinkles’ soon including the candied herbs and pomegranate salt and cacao nibs

I find that the sharpness of the pom salt does add a slight edge to the salt – kind of making it more salty tasting than usual. It’s mostly for the colour though :)

The pomegranate salt adds such a pretty touch to these cookies! I love using oat flour in cookies too, it’s great for a little extra fibre but doesn’t have that gritty-ness of whole wheat flour in baking. Beautiful job.

Your cookies are absolutely amazing and I love the pomegranate salt, that’s so different! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas!

Your mum’s ceramics are so great! and that sugar…girl! The cookies are the perfect shape, I love a perfectly rounded, puffed cookie. Holiday baking for the win!

You mom’s ceramics are gorgeous!! Can she open up an Etsy shop?! :) You’re one lucky gal.

This recipe (and all of the photos) are stunning, Izy! I’m so in love (like have a major crush) with that pomegranate salt. You are a GENIUS.

Love the pictures as usual! I have a weakness for sparkly things. Like, majorly. That pomegranate salt is soooo pretty!! I think I’d want to keep it around in a jar just so I could hold it under the light. I mean, it can’t go bad can it? It’s just salt and pomegranate juice. Also, your mom’s ceramics are beautiful. You visited ABC Home, didn’t you? Where a single plate goes for $100. Your mom could make a killing!

The pomegranate salt is inspired.
    I might try it with some leftover frozen strawberries i’ve got from the summer.
    i’m thinking flecked over fluffy american pancakes with lots of maple syrup….. yummm.

Good work chick :) x

OOH! This is so cool! I’m thinking this would make great (and very unexpected) stocking stuffers. And how pretty would this look on salted caramels! Can’t wait to try it :)

The first time I looked at your blog (yesterday) I never made it past the hazlenut fudge because I immediately went to buy the ingredients to make it. My second attempt and I come across this incredible concoction. So delicious/creative and beautifully photographed! I’m just starting out in the food blog world and will take so much inspiration from you! x

Trackbacks

1. […] 原本只是很平凡的海鹽巧克力奶酥餅乾,但是用石榴汁將如雪花般的Maldon海鹽染成了粉紅色後,感覺吃的時候連心情也會變成粉紅色。石榴海鹽是跟Top with Cinnamon學的,只需要一點剩下的石榴汁就能將海鹽染色,大家可以自己在家嘗試。另外還用了Ghirardelli的60%與72%苦巧克力,加了一些牛奶巧克力來讓口感更順口。 […]