Maple, Vanilla, Flax Roasted Almonds and Pecans

November 8, 2013 · 43 comments in Snacks

Maple, Vanilla, Flax Roasted Almonds and Pecans

Hey hey! I’m back. I am alive. I didn’t mean to just leave for like 3 weeks but there was only so much I could do last weekend (when I got home) with jet lag and the impending return to school.

I also discovered that during the two weeks in which I was away, the sun started setting approx. 500% earlier than usual. Coupling that with the regular afternoon rain sessions we’ve had, by the time I was getting home after school this week, it was so dark that my camera couldn’t even focus on stuff. THAT’S PRETTY DARK GUYS.

But I did turn pecans and almonds into crystallised, golden, snack drugs for your eyes and for my eating.

Maple, Vanilla, Flax Roasted Almonds and Pecans

Can someone explain to me why it’s impossible to buy roasted almonds with interesting sweet flavours in the UK? I’m jealous of America with all of the vanilla roasted almond snack packs. I want snack packs! I want vanilla almonds! *grabby hands*

I’m pretty glad / mad that these are so easy to make. Glad because they’re DELICIOUS. Mad because the recipe makes a lot and I have no self control when it comes to eating these.

Pretty sure you know what I mean if you’ve had candied almonds or pecans before.

Maple, Vanilla, Flax Roasted Almonds and Pecans

In other news! I am…

..waiting for my New York film to be developed soo I’ll probably do a little post about the (ridiculous amount of ) food I ate soon.

.. stunned to be Saveur’s pick for their ‘Sites We Love’ this week  - there’s an interview thing here : )))))

.. also incredibly thrilled to say that there’s a little spotlight on me in the *just* released ‘Baked’ issue Nº 2 of Cherry Bombe Magazine (seriously one of the coolest magazines I’ve ever read. It’s all about women, food and fashion). Check out page 35, where you will also find a surprise fact,  eh heh heh ;)

Maple, Vanilla, Flax Roasted Almonds and Pecans

Maple, Vanilla, Flax Roasted Almonds and Pecans
1/2 an egg white
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 cups almonds
1 cup pecans
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 tbsp granulated sugar
3 tbsp flax seeds (optional)
large pinch of salt

Preheat your oven to 250 F (120 C). Line a cookie tray with baking paper.

Whisk together the 1/2 egg white and vanilla extract with a fork until slightly frothy. Add the almonds and pecans and stir until coated. Pile onto the lined tray (leave behind any excess liquid in the bowl). Pour the maple syrup over the pile of nuts then sprinkle on the sugar, flax seeds and salt. Use your hands to toss the nuts with these ingredients, then spread out in a single layer over the cookie tray.

Bake for 15 minutes, remove from the oven and stir around. Then put back into the oven and increase the heat to 350 F (180 C) - bake for a further 8-10 minutes until the nuts are toasted. Let cool then store in an airtight container.

Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate November 8, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Love that this is not just almonds and not just pecans, it’s both! Then you don’t have to make the difficult decision of which nut to eat!

ana@ fit, fun & delish! November 8, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Congratulations on your Saveur’s nomination! You really belong up there! I’m addicted to almonds and I’m sure to make these. Thanks for the recipe!

dana November 8, 2013 at 5:34 pm

SO much exciting stuff going on in your world. Congrats! You deserve it. Happy snacking! These almonds look BOMB.

Billy November 8, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Gurl you better throw a pound of these babies my way!

mykayla November 8, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Congrats on your recognition! How wonderful for you. I love that white bowl by the way. It appears perfectly flawed and simply beautiful. And the nuts……perfect timing, having just arrived home with my huge costco bags of almond pecans and hazelnuts. Yes!!

Rossi @ A Baking Girl November 8, 2013 at 6:13 pm

I’ve made candied nuts on a crock pot before, but I never knew they could be done so quickly and easily in an oven as well. Uh, yum! I know what I’ll be snacking on for the next few months :)

Erika November 8, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Lol “I’m British and a teenager so I think the tone of my writing is quite different from other blogs. Hopefully a tone that’ll make you laugh!” Yes, yes you do. You’re so sassy–you remind me of my cousin who I think is hilarious, so that’s a compliment. Congrats on the feature!! I actually stumbled upon it and read it just before coming to your blog so woohoo! I’m super excited for your NYC video!!!

Anne November 8, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I’d love to have this pecans for tonight! Great pictures! I keep wondering how you achieved this superb effect on your pictures: like it’s a bit “washed out”. Is it on photoshop? Or Lightroom? Do you have any tutorial on your blog (or online -to recommend)? I am eager to learn! Thanks for sharing!

Linda November 8, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I want these now. No wait, I NEED these now! They look so good.
I also stumbled upon the Saveur interview a few hours ago. Yay! That’s huge Izy!

Anne November 8, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Wow, again. You never fail to amaze!

Lindsey November 8, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Congrats on the Saveur interview! These look addictively delicious!

Rochelle Hutchinson November 8, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Yaay Izy your back. I totally agree with you about the nuts, although munchy seeds do pretty good pumpkin seeds. I swear you read my mind. I had this on my to make list this week. Photography is beautiful as usual. Congrats on your recognition Izy

Katy November 8, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Gorgeous photos. It’s starting to get dark here too, and winter is certainly on the way. I love that there’s flaxseed in these, they sound like the perfect snack!

Belinda @themoonblushbaker November 8, 2013 at 10:59 pm

my days are completely opposite i have light to 7pm now in South!
love crusted almonds and addition of flax is so unique

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar November 9, 2013 at 12:35 am

I need these ASAP. I bet they’re great in salads!

Sophie November 9, 2013 at 6:29 am

I want to make these SO bad, but I seriously have a munchy issue. I have a feeling this wouldn’t help. ;) Congrats on the features, my dear!!

Elvira November 9, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I can’t wait to see your NYC video!! Congrats for all the exciting things happening, you deserve every bit…and those roasted almonds and pecans …OH BOY!

Jody Thibodeaux-Bowman November 9, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Hello! This looks wonderful! One question….did you use salted or unsalted almonds?

cindy November 9, 2013 at 4:17 pm

girl, candied nuts are my weakness…and I love the addition of flax, I mean it makes them healthful, right?
congrats on all the press, you deserve it!! and thanks for the shout-out in your saveur interview, totes blushing over here.
also, I can’t even wait to see all your photos from your NY trip!!

Kathryn November 9, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Congrats on all your fame on the internets, so well deserved!

Kathryn November 9, 2013 at 7:53 pm

PS thanks for the Saveur shout out which I’m totally honoured by.

Rachel November 10, 2013 at 8:54 am

This looks just un-effing-believably delicious. Going to have go and get these in my belly; beautiful pictures and words as often. Such an inspiration <3.

Karen | Citrus and Candy November 10, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Woo welcome back Izy! And big ol’ congrats; we all adore your work so thrilled to see you featured on Saveur (p.s. thank you for the shout out too x). Now about those nuts; amazing. I LOVE candied nuts and I would kill for a big bowl of these right now.

Joshua @ Slim Palate November 10, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Sweet babies these look amazing! I just got back from a festival and they were selling almonds and various assorted nuts like these although I am fairly certain that they are not as good as yours. All I know is that the name of their booth was “The Kings Nuts” and they kept asking me if I wanted to taste the kings nuts. Sadly I did not.

Ashley November 10, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Congrats at all your success. It is so well deserved!!! And this recipe looks incredible!!!!! Also, I want that bowl in photo #2!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough November 10, 2013 at 7:42 pm

I need dem snack drugs!

Cate @ Chez CateyLou November 11, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I hate how dark it is after work now! I have to squeeze all my photographing into the weekends! Your nuts look delicious – what a great combo of flavors!

Trisha November 12, 2013 at 11:24 am

Congrats on being featured you deserve it! just love your blog and these pecans look divine x

Demetria Provatas November 12, 2013 at 3:50 pm

mmm mm they sounds like such a good winter snack.

Julie November 12, 2013 at 4:37 pm

These pecans are just plain gorgeous…and probably delicious! And congrats on the Saveur feature!

Megan November 12, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Congrats on being loved by Saveur! I love you too! And thanks for the link love. <3

Also, these almonds look like a dream and the photos are so pretty! You da bomb!

Katie November 14, 2013 at 9:06 am

Beautiful pictures as per usual!

Katie <3

Shikha @ Shikha la mode November 22, 2013 at 9:05 pm

These look amazing – such a good snack!

Izy November 26, 2013 at 12:01 am

Thanks Shikha! :)

Brandi December 18, 2013 at 4:38 am

Fantastic recipe! I just made 4 batches for gifts, and I’m not sure they will make it out of the house! I really like that it’s not too sweet. Great crunch and flavor. And I love the mix of pecans and almonds. For anyone else who might have the same problem cleaning the cookie sheets, like I did – put a bit of water in the sheet pan while it’s on the stove. Turn the burners on and get a low simmer going. All the sugar and seeds will come right up! Thanks again for giving me an annual gift! I know my friends will love it!