Orange, Spelt and Almond Cake {vegan}

Heellooooo orange cake!

This cake is orangey with a capital ORANGE.

and it’s (I’m gonna use that word..) moist! I could say it’s clammy, but that’s worse. Clammy cake.. ew. Moist cake: yes please, 10/10, I will take two.

Two slices that is, not cakes. Two cakes is excessive for one person. I’m not actually a cake monster you know. Jeez.

So are we doing this or what? Let’s get a-mixing (compulsory eyebrow raise when you say that):

Stirring together the dry ingredients. Spelt, wholemeal and almonds. It’ll make you feel cool just stirring these things together. You totally know about spelt – hey ancient form of wheat! You gon’ make this cake super soft, thaaanks.

Orange Spelt and Almond Cake {vegan}

You know when you scoop the coconut oil out of the container and it’s all lumpy? and then you mix it with a spoon but you just. can’t. make. it. smooth. Heads up, it’s gross to get a lump of coconut oil in the cake batter you’re…taste testing…

Turns out that my Kenwood’s paddle attachment is pro at making that coconut oil super smooth.

I mixed it up with orange zest until slightly fluffy and creamy. Yes it’s food, but dip your finger into that orangey coconut oil and rub some into your hands.

You just moisturized, your hands smell amazing and you’re making a cake. The Kenwood may be a pro at mixing, but you’re a pro at treating yo’ self. GO YOU!

Orange Spelt and Almond Cake {vegan}

Sugar now: waterfall it in then mix it up.

Orange Spelt and Almond Cake {vegan}

A squeeze (or four) of orange juice

Orange Spelt and Almond Cake {vegan} Orange Spelt and Almond Cake {vegan}

(p.s. I always take my glasses off when I’m cooking. I have no idea why. I just can’t stand being a kitchen with them on my face)

Orange Spelt and Almond Cake {vegan}

Ha ha! Now the best part. The Kenwood KM330’s SPLASH GUARD.

Because what’s not fun is when you put flour or powdered sugar or milk into a stand mixer and then it just flies out the bowl as soon as you turn the power dial. I don’t know about other people, but I don’t think that inhaling that mist of powdered sugar is the most fun thing in the world.

Orange Spelt and Almond Cake {vegan}

Anyway. Just dump in the dry ingredients and mix on full speed feeling superior to have beaten the huge powdery explosion going on in the bowl.

Orange Spelt and Almond Cake {vegan}

Spread it (make some patterns in the batter, you know you want to)

Bake it

Glaze & eat.

1/2 cup (110 g) coconut oil
2 oranges, zested and juiced
3/4 cup (150 g) cane sugar
1/3 cup (80 ml) water
1 cup (124 g) spelt flour
1/2 cup (58 g) whole wheat flour
1/2 cup (50 g) ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbsp apricot jam, warmed
1/2 cup (110 g) powdered sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C) and grease a large loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, stir together the flours, almonds, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the coconut oil with the orange zest until smooth. Add in the cane sugar and beat until light. Add the orange juice and water to the bowl. If you have a splash guard on your stand mixer, just dump the flour mixture into the bowl and beat on high speed until just incorporated. If you don't have a splash guard, set your stand mixer to a low speed and spoon the dry ingredients in while it's mixing, until just incorporated.

Pour into the greased loaf pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Brush with 2 tbsp of the apricot jam.

Stir together the powdered sugar, remaining jam and enough water to make a pourable glaze, then pour it over the cake.

dude this is amazing! I have a major crush on Spelt flour.
    This cake looks so gorgeous and moist and just so. good.
    I’m definitely making this soon. And pinning it obsessively. ha.
    BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS. oh my gosh.

Looks amaze. Vegan recipes are always good to have, just because it feels kinda cool AND you have the bonus of being able to feed people who don’t normally get cake!

Yeah! Precisely. And it means that when you don’t have any eggs and you need to make something for a post (…totally not what happened here…. :/ ) then you can still BAKE A CAKE!!

Thank you, Kammie! Well I’ve had a few tutorial requests for photography recently so you never know, I might be making a post about it some day in the future 😉

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!! Totally loveeeeee. And I have to take my glasses off too when I’m in the kitchen. They just don’t feel right when I’m making food. It’s weird.

I love using spelt in baked goods, you’re right it definitely makes everything super soft. This cake looks delicious, citrus cakes are the best with that tangy factor!

One of my faves!!! I remember making one with pureed whole oranges (i mean whole package) for my dietary requirements class (it’s gf!)! Impeccable!! As always and i’m sure this one is too!! (i muh belleh now!!)

Exclamation points are quite necessary.

6. Lena says

Okay, so, I don’t usually try recipes that don’t have any comments of people who have already tried it successfully. Cause I’m just cowardly like that. But this cake looked really good, and I had all the ingredients, so I decided to give it a try. Only things I changed were reducing the sugar (I used light brown sugar) to about 2/3 of a cup and adding some stevia. I was a bit worried, because after adding the water and orange juice I had this gross-looking mixture of liquids and chunks that refused to combine. But at the end it all looked good, and I baked it for 45 minutes, and the result: marvelous! The top became crunchy and the inside was soft, which I love. It really is moist and delicious. And very sweet. So thank you for this great recipe!

Oh, just one small note – it is kind of crumbly. I don’t mind all that much, but since I’m not a vegan, would adding an egg to the recipe help bind the whole thing together? For the next time I make it, of course. :-)

yeah it is a crumbly cake! I think it’s cos of the lack of egg for binding (as you said) and also because I used spelt flour which has a lower gluten content than regular wheat flour so it makes it more fragile. I’m pretty sure that adding an egg will to the batter will be fine! maybe reduce the liquid in the batter by 1/4 cup (60 ml) to counteract the extra wetness from the egg though.

• Lena says

Hiya, it’s me again, from 9 months ago! Oranges are finally in season again. So I’m back. Heh.
        Anyhow, I just tried to make the cake again, this time using an egg (and reducing the liquid exactly how you said) and for some reason it didn’t bake quite as well. I reverted back to the 3/4 cups of sugar (had no stevia) so really the egg was the only difference. But I just found that parts of the insides of the cake remained reaaaally wet even after baking it for ages – at some point I added aluminum foil on top because so the top wouldn’t burn, and then by the time there didn’t seem to be any really glaring wetness left, the rest had kind of dried up.. Any idea? Is it the egg?