Healthy Sticky Chocolate Fudge Cake (like, super fudgy no joke) {Gluten, Dairy + Grain Free}

January 20, 2014 · 74 comments in Uncategorized

What is it with me and the loaf cakes at the moment? I have no idea why I keep making them.

Kathryn tweeted that she thinks cake just tastes better when it’s loaf shaped, after making a super luscious Lemony Yoghurt Cake

and I think I agree.

I don’t have enough loaf cakes on here anyway, so it’s better that I just make loads while I’m on a roll.

This chocolatey loaf cake was made after I decided that I a) needed chocolate. It was a major craving (that’s why this is triple chocolate :/) but b) didn’t want to feel crap after eating it (and actually wanted it to be filling)

I kind of based this on a gluten free brownie recipe – so you can tell how sticky this is – but I didn’t want to use ground almonds. In the end I used one of my recent ingredients faves – flax seeds! (you may have caught onto the fact that I keep putting oat flour and flax seeds into a lot of stuff. You can’t stop me. I can’t stop me.) They have super binding powers so that makes up for the lack of gluten. They also have all them healthy oils (holla at the omega-3s!) so this is still rich.

I had a bunch of squash puree leftover from making some caramel with a butternut squash (a la Bon Appetit, here) so I used that to make it dense and moist.

Yeah, butternut squash caramel. It’s insane. I’m not even giving a recipe because I just used the recipe linked above but subbing a butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes.

You roast/steam the squash in some water for an hour, then squeeze all the liquid out and cook that liquid down. The natural sugars make it thicken up and you get about 1/4 cup of kind of earthy, tangy (think sour cream caramel) syrup that tastes a bit like pumpkin pie. Needless to say I ate it with a slice of this cake for dessert.

Then I took all the leftover squash fiber and blended in about 1 cup of water, so I ended up with 2 cups of puree as well!

There’s a gooey chocolate glaze on top of the cake too cos – here’s the thing-  when you bake some chocolate things with pumpkin in them, they get this really weird matt dark layer on top. You know what I’m talking about?

It aint appealing for ye eyes, so the glaze sorted that out. And it added extra stickyness so nobody complained. Oh oh, and I blended down demerara sugar to make powdered raw sugar. It’s SO GOOD in chocolate frosting because it has that slight molasses flavour to it. Mmm.

Okay, so enhoy the cake.

Sorry for veeeeery minimalistic styling/ using the same background for ages / grain (let’s just pretend that was on purpose and call it arty).

We’ll end with a photo (well a photo of a photo) of baby me – lookin like the most guilty person in the world – eating cake frosting off a spoon to make up for it.

1535683_10202351670066726_994374558_n

Ciao!

Notes

- I made raw powdered sugar by grinding demerara sugar in a blender until fine.

- You can use another liquid sweetener like maple or agave syrup, but you may need to add 1 tbsp more/less as they are more/less sweet than honey

- I used butternut squash puree

- You can use other nut butters, seed butters or melted coconut oil in place of the cashew butter.
- I added a small squeeze of lemon juice because I don’t like the aftertaste of baking soda that can sometimes be left, but I think I’m super sensitive to it so you can probably just leave the lemon juice out and it’ll be fine.

-Update: Commenter Maddie says that she replaced the egg with a chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds + 3 tbsp water) and it worked well!

Healthy Sticky Chocolate Fudge Cake {Gluten, Dairy + Grain Free}
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
6 tbsp honey
1 egg (see notes)
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp pumpkin/squash puree
2 tbsp cashew butter
1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
Glaze:
2 heaped tsp of powdered raw sugar (see notes) (or powdered sugar)
1 tsp cocoa powder
almond milk

Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C)

Stir together the flax, cocoa, soda and salt in a bowl.

In a jug, whisk together the vanilla, honey, egg, pumpkin and cashew butter with a fork. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.

Pour into a greased, lined 1lb loaf pan (line it with a bit of an overhang so you can lift the cake out easily). Scatter over the chocolate chips and push them into the batter. Bake for 40-50 minutes until the cake doesn't wobble when you shake the pan (the skewer test doesn't really work with this).

Stir together the powdered raw sugar and cocoa powder, then stir in almond milk until you get quite a thick glaze (just start with a teaspoon first and add more as needed). Pour over the hot cake and spread out evenly using the back of a spoon.

Jade Sheldon-Burnsed January 20, 2014 at 12:27 am

I love you.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar January 20, 2014 at 12:40 am

This DOES look fudgy! Dang. I can’t wait to try!!

Katy January 20, 2014 at 1:13 am

That photo of you is absolutely adorable. Cake definitely changes taste depending on what shape it’s baked in…loaves are perfect! I can’t believe how fudgy that cake looks, I need it in my belly. Now. Pinned!

Maureen Sutherland Weiser January 20, 2014 at 1:18 am

Oh my! This is on the list! At the top!

Katie @ 24 Carrot Life January 20, 2014 at 1:47 am

WOAHHH this looks amazing and super healthy. Pinned and hoping I have time to make it asap!

Angela @ Canned Time January 20, 2014 at 2:13 am

I’ve been craving chocolate cake for days and now you’ve done this to me? Evil Izy, just evil ♥

Ala January 20, 2014 at 2:31 am

a) Baby photo=adorbs–just had to get that out of the way. b) squash caramel = genius and will be the next thing I eat straight from the pan, after no-oil caramelized onions and homemade hummus.’ Nature really does make things more awesome. Like this is me and hummus right now, and this will be me with this cake after I make it http://whatshouldwecallme.tumblr.com/post/41733459215/love <3

Trisha January 20, 2014 at 2:58 am

I love flax seeds, chocolate, and butternut squash. I never thought I would love them TOGETHER, but you’ve got be convinced. YUM!

Trisha January 20, 2014 at 2:59 am

I love flax seeds, chocolate, and butternut squash. I never thought I would love them TOGETHER, but you’ve got me convinced. YUM!

Lynn Chen January 20, 2014 at 3:35 am

Bookmark bookmark. Pin!

Bec {daisy and the fox} January 20, 2014 at 5:43 am

I love the whooole concept of this!
gluten free, healthy, fudgyyy, win win win :D
soooo gonna use this recipe – thanks!

Belinda@themoonblushbaker January 20, 2014 at 7:31 am

I think we all need a healthy fudge cake; especially with all these new year resolution’s still hanging about. Also a note on that pumpkin caramel; i have been doing this for years but I though it was a normal bi product people kept for them selves. I love it on toast and in oatmeal; it like like magic!

So pretty and dark, I think I need to pour my self some tea right now.

Sophie January 20, 2014 at 7:39 am

I’m dyingggggg. Definitely printing this off.

Abby January 20, 2014 at 9:05 am

This looks amazing.. I am a big almond milk and nut butter fan new to all this squash/sweet potato puree/syrup shebang… sounds immense so I will be making it. Fo sho. Beautiful photos as always – Thanks Izy! x

Kathryn January 20, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Loaf cakes 4 eva. Thanks for the link to my lemon cake. This sticky fudgy amazingness is definitely getting made this weekend.

Kate January 20, 2014 at 4:32 pm

IZY i am trying to revise and ur makin me want to bake. every day. and then sit and stuff my fact with the whole thing ergo no time to do well in population ecology and pest control. i am lovin all the loaf cakes they are PERFECT x

Lauren Goslin January 20, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Izy, this looks delicious! I read that article from Bon Appetit and thought of using butternut squash as well, so I’m excited to see it turned out for you. :) I’ll have to give it a try!

Erika January 20, 2014 at 7:45 pm

baaaaahhahaha omg that pic of you as a baby. so good. it sorta reminds me of a baby pic of my boyfriend and he’s making cookies with his sister and she has the spoon with all the cookie dough and he just has these big sad round eyes and i kind of fell in love all over with him looking at it.

I LOVE THIS. flaxseed 4eva. and butternut squash + sticky chocolate yes!!! i think i have everything so the next time a chocolate craving hits (i.e. in 10 minutes) i shall be making this!

Sophia @ NY Foodgasm January 20, 2014 at 8:59 pm

This looks amazing I MUST MUST MUST try this! Thank you for a beautiful and delicious recipe!

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe January 20, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Oh, the fudginess! I can see it! And now all I want it a fudgy loaf cake!

Teffy January 20, 2014 at 9:51 pm

That.looks.insane. Looks so so good.
And I’ve never heard of the squash sauce before. Incredible. Pinning this now.

{Teffy’s Perks} X

Chris January 21, 2014 at 1:54 am

Made this today with canned pumpkin puree and peanut butter, minus the glaze, which I really didn’t miss; mine didn’t have a weird texture. Came out great, not too sweet but really hit the chocolate spot. Thanks!

Alexandra @ Confessions of a Bright-Eyed Baker January 21, 2014 at 2:54 am

I feel like this cake looks too good to be true but then at the same time I believe that it’s totally fudgy and chocolate-y and delish. :) I’ve never tried using ground flaxseed in place of flour but I def should the next time I don’t feel like using almond meal! And the glaze -> yes please.

Melissa January 21, 2014 at 10:48 am

OMG this looks totally divine. Thanks for bringing on some serious chocolate cravings with this cake. So going to make it

Shelly January 21, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I love how healthy you managed to make this cake! And sweet potato caramel?! I’m sold.

petal and plume January 21, 2014 at 2:32 pm

looks perfectly dense, fudgey, and rich. brilliant job!
xx

Ashley January 21, 2014 at 4:34 pm

What in the what!!! This looks outstanding! Love the ingredient list, too. I just spent a week perfecting GF brownies, which means I ate my weight in chocolate and sugar, but I will definitely be trying this SOON. I love cake in any form. I don’t care the shape of the pan, just give me cake. ;)

Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts January 21, 2014 at 6:19 pm

I think this is the only kind of healthy I can handle. Yum!!

Alana January 21, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Yum! Is there a way to make this without the egg?

Izy January 21, 2014 at 7:19 pm

hmmm, you might be able to sub the egg for a flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp water)? or maybe if you have egg substitute you could use that? I haven’t tried this without the egg so I’m not sure

Maddie January 21, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Just made it with a chia egg and it worked well!

Alana January 21, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Good to know! Thanks!

Izy January 21, 2014 at 8:51 pm

thanks Maddie – I’ll add a note to the recipe :)

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery January 21, 2014 at 7:19 pm

I love you.

Maddie January 21, 2014 at 8:33 pm

As soon as I saw this (earlier today) I knew I had to make it ASAP and oh my gosh is it amazing. It came out about half the height of yours, but it’s so chocolately and delish especially with almond butter!

J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats January 21, 2014 at 8:33 pm

This looks SO CHOCOLATE-Y. Can’t believe its made with squash puree. I imagine the squashiness is obliterated by all that chocolate?

Allison January 21, 2014 at 8:44 pm

I don’t have a loaf pan… but would this recipe would in a 9×9 baking pan? Like in brownie form? I’m really new to baking and want to make your recipe SO BAD but I’m nervous something will go awry if I stray from your method!

Izy January 21, 2014 at 8:50 pm

i think that’ll probably work! just reduce the baking time to 25-30 minutes I’d say

Ieva Marija January 21, 2014 at 8:46 pm

I’m… Oh my God I have no words!!!!! This year for me is so amazing, because I just keep discovering amazing food blogs and my keyboard is wet from drooling. Your blog is insane, I kid you not. I can’t believe you’re 17… Damn, you’re an inspiration for me to reach bigger!!!

An inspired food blogger from Vilnius, Lithuania, that is in shock,
Ieva Marija

Malin January 22, 2014 at 1:32 pm

You are awesome, this is the answer to my prayers!!! And thank you for the “dairy-free” tag, I like it!

One question.. What is ground flax seeds? Is it a powder, or is it just the parted flax seeds that you can buy. Never saw it as a powder (flour), but I guess that I could mix some flax seeds to make a powder out if it, same way as I make almond flour. Anyone has any input on this?

Izy February 2, 2014 at 8:22 pm

it’s flax seeds that have been blended in a spice grinder (or I use a coffee grinder) to a kind of powdery consistency

Amy January 22, 2014 at 11:21 pm

I just made this and it is almost gone– It is so deliciously fudgy and glutard friendly!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

Sif Rømer January 23, 2014 at 12:04 am

i just made it… its a m a z i n g and absolutely gooey ! my craving is now gone and my belly is sooo full! :D
Bake it / try it/ now/ do it! yummi <3
thanks for the recipe !

Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen January 23, 2014 at 12:45 am

Ohhh my goodness. This looks so rich and delicious, I can’t wait to try it!

Jess January 23, 2014 at 1:08 am

Ok for real – this cake is freaking amazing. I just had to force myself not to eat the whole thing. I just finished the 21 Day Sugar Detox, so 3 tbsp of maple syrup + 1/2 tsp cinnamon was the perfect sweet! Definitely making this again. As soon as I get more flax meal – it is not a coincidence that I had exactly 1/2 cup left!

admattai January 24, 2014 at 2:00 am

this recipe rocked my world! thanks so much for this, I’ve been looking for a healthy way to cure my chocolate craving and this worked perfectly! This will be the breakfast and dessert of champions for days to come :)

Sini | my blue&white kitchen January 24, 2014 at 8:42 am

The perfect medicine for chocolate craving. There so much awesomeness going on in this loaf of cake, Izy! Cheers to that!

anna@annamayeveryday January 29, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Loving the look of this. Great to see the flaxseed, often gluten free cakes use ground almond which is a no no for us as my daughter is allergic to nuts. I could use a different butter and we’d be away. Thank you!

pai-wuen January 30, 2014 at 6:28 pm

have one loaf in the oven as i type! thanks for the recipe and gorgeous photos! xo

Laura @ Laura's Culinary Adventures January 30, 2014 at 9:08 pm

How decadent and rich! How great that it’s heathier too!

Naomi February 2, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Can I use something in place of Cashew Butter? I am allergic to nuts. Could it be Almond Butter? [ They is a seed, I can has. :3 ]

Izy February 2, 2014 at 7:33 pm

yep that’s fine (I have I note about that above the recipe)

Sarah February 2, 2014 at 8:15 pm

So I made this last night with a friends and I must have done something wrong. The only sub I made was walnut butter in place of cashew. Then is was so dry I added some coconut cream and water to it to make it a little thicker than cake batter consistency. After baking, the texture wasn’t great and it tasted pretty bad – like flaxseed pretty much. Is 1/2 cup correct? Unfortunately I doubled the recipe because I thought it would be so good. :D Do you think adding more liquid is what ruined it? I love the concept of all these healthy ingredients – and I’m going to eat it because it’s so healthy – but I probably wouldn’t make it again. :)

Izy February 2, 2014 at 8:20 pm

that’s so strange! the egg and pumpkin puree add enough moisture to make it wet enough (it’s kind of like slightly thicker brownie batter consistency). Maybe in doubling the recipe you didn’t double one of the wet ingredients? (I am known to forget to double ingredients when I do that haha). Adding extra liquid may have messed it up but I can’t see it affecting the flavour. Other people have made it and it’s turned out fine for them. If you did try it again I’d say don’t double it ;)

Sarah February 2, 2014 at 10:26 pm

You reminded me of one other thing I subbed that may have made a difference – I used the sweet potato puree from the caramel sauce in place of pumpkin. Maybe it just didn’t have enough liquid in it. Anywho…you’re right, I should wait to double a recipe until I know what it’s gonna do for me. lol

Izy February 2, 2014 at 10:28 pm

the sweet potato puree might have made the difference! How did you like the caramel btw?
haha well it’s just because I know how I tend to make mistakes from doubling things :/

ball February 4, 2014 at 8:47 am

Thank you for share.I like to eat cake.

maria at inredningsvis February 9, 2014 at 5:25 pm

AHHHHH this look So Delish I cant take it :) your blog is so yummy and Im following.

Check out my blog today…my all time fav. lasagna recipy:)

Have a great week dear

LOVE Maria

Simone February 16, 2014 at 2:54 am

so I didn’t have flax seeds around when trying to make this and would like to report how I did my substitute! I used half a cup of whole wheat flour instead. the cake definitely still worked out, but I kind of think of it as a different cake now – the one I made is less of a fudge, sticky cake, and more of just a cake cake. it’s still super good, though, but if I was trying to make it into a super moist cake like yours I might throw in some greek yogurt, or maybe just less flour? the glaze makes this cake a total success though!

Sabrina February 20, 2014 at 3:19 am

I love your photos! They make my mouth water at your fudgy creations.

Natalie Brim March 1, 2014 at 12:24 am

Should this be refrigerated when storing? Thanks!

Izy March 3, 2014 at 5:49 pm

it doesnt have to be but it’ll keep longer if you do

jamie April 11, 2014 at 5:58 am

hi there! what can i replace the flax seed with? is it alright to replace it with eggs?

Izy April 12, 2014 at 12:57 pm

You can’t really replace the flax with anything for this recipe. Another commenter did sub flour for the flax but they said it made it cakey. It also wouldn’t be gluten free anymore if you did that. The flax is used for ‘bulk’ rather than solely it’s binding purpose so eggs won’t work, sorry!