What is it with me and the loaf cakes at the moment? I have no idea why I keep making them.

Kathryn tweeted that she thinks cake just tastes better when it’s loaf shaped, after making a super luscious Lemony Yoghurt Cake

and I think I agree.

I don’t have enough loaf cakes on here anyway, so it’s better that I just make loads while I’m on a roll.

This chocolatey loaf cake was made after I decided that I a) needed chocolate. It was a major craving (that’s why this is triple chocolate :/) but b) didn’t want to feel crap after eating it (and actually wanted it to be filling)

I kind of based this on a gluten free brownie recipe – so you can tell how sticky this is – but I didn’t want to use ground almonds. In the end I used one of my recent ingredients faves – flax seeds! (you may have caught onto the fact that I keep putting oat flour and flax seeds into a lot of stuff. You can’t stop me. I can’t stop me.) They have super binding powers so that makes up for the lack of gluten. They also have all them healthy oils (holla at the omega-3s!) so this is still rich.

I had a bunch of squash puree leftover from making some caramel with a butternut squash (a la Bon Appetit, here) so I used that to make it dense and moist.

Yeah, butternut squash caramel. It’s insane. I’m not even giving a recipe because I just used the recipe linked above but subbing a butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes.

You roast/steam the squash in some water for an hour, then squeeze all the liquid out and cook that liquid down. The natural sugars make it thicken up and you get about 1/4 cup of kind of earthy, tangy (think sour cream caramel) syrup that tastes a bit like pumpkin pie. Needless to say I ate it with a slice of this cake for dessert.

Then I took all the leftover squash fiber and blended in about 1 cup of water, so I ended up with 2 cups of puree as well!

There’s a gooey chocolate glaze on top of the cake too cos – here’s the thing-  when you bake some chocolate things with pumpkin in them, they get this really weird matt dark layer on top. You know what I’m talking about?

It aint appealing for ye eyes, so the glaze sorted that out. And it added extra stickyness so nobody complained. Oh oh, and I blended down demerara sugar to make powdered raw sugar. It’s SO GOOD in chocolate frosting because it has that slight molasses flavour to it. Mmm.

Okay, so enhoy the cake.

Sorry for veeeeery minimalistic styling/ using the same background for ages / grain (let’s just pretend that was on purpose and call it arty).

We’ll end with a photo (well a photo of a photo) of baby me – lookin like the most guilty person in the world – eating cake frosting off a spoon to make up for it.

– I made raw powdered sugar by grinding demerara sugar in a blender until fine.

– You can use another liquid sweetener like maple or agave syrup, but you may need to add 1 tbsp more/less as they are more/less sweet than honey

– I used butternut squash puree

– You can use other nut butters, seed butters or melted coconut oil in place of the cashew butter.
– I added a small squeeze of lemon juice because I don’t like the aftertaste of baking soda that can sometimes be left, but I think I’m super sensitive to it so you can probably just leave the lemon juice out and it’ll be fine.

Update: Commenter Maddie says that she replaced the egg with a chia egg (1 tbsp chia seeds + 3 tbsp water) and it worked well!

Healthy Sticky Chocolate Fudge Cake {Gluten, Dairy + Grain Free}
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
6 tbsp honey
1 egg (see notes)
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp pumpkin/squash puree
2 tbsp cashew butter
1/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
2 heaped tsp of powdered raw sugar (see notes) (or powdered sugar)
1 tsp cocoa powder
almond milk

Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C)

Stir together the flax, cocoa, soda and salt in a bowl.

In a jug, whisk together the vanilla, honey, egg, pumpkin and cashew butter with a fork. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.

Pour into a greased, lined 1lb loaf pan (line it with a bit of an overhang so you can lift the cake out easily). Scatter over the chocolate chips and push them into the batter. Bake for 40-50 minutes until the cake doesn't wobble when you shake the pan (the skewer test doesn't really work with this).

Stir together the powdered raw sugar and cocoa powder, then stir in almond milk until you get quite a thick glaze (just start with a teaspoon first and add more as needed). Pour over the hot cake and spread out evenly using the back of a spoon.

You can’t really replace the flax with anything for this recipe. Another commenter did sub flour for the flax but they said it made it cakey. It also wouldn’t be gluten free anymore if you did that. The flax is used for ‘bulk’ rather than solely it’s binding purpose so eggs won’t work, sorry!

1. kerina says

hello, just to clarify for the pumpkin purée, can i just steam it in a steamer till its soft and then mash it up? because i don’t quite get method that you mentioned above. Thanks a million dear!

2. Sophie says

Thanks for sharing Izy! I made this using butternut pumpkin puree, almond butter, and LSA instead of pure flaxseed. I also put in a little less honey and it didn’t even need the glaze (making it even healthier!) It worked out beautifully! I’m demolishing a slice now with some raspberries. Will definitely be making this again. X

3. keira says

Hey, there! Thanks so much for this recipe… wondering how it would affect the texture/consistency to omit sweetener and replacen with stevia?

I’m not sure what kind of effect it would have as I don’t really bake with stevia. I think if you’re used to the taste of it, it’ll be fine taste-wise but my only reserve is that the honey provides moisture and stickyness so removing it would probably affect the texture.

4. Saniel says

Can’t say dairy free and then have eggs even if in the notes. Dairy free means no eggs, milk or milk based product.

Hi Saniel, the cake is dairy free as eggs aren’t classified as a dairy product. Eggs are the unfertilised ovum from a hen. Dairy is the milk produced from the mammary glands of mammals. But they both are animal products so this recipe isn’t vegan unless the eggs are substituted for a vegan replacement such as ground flax or chia seeds. If you want to read more about it this article explains that eggs aren’t dairy in more detail:

This was delicious! I’ve made it four times in the past two weeks. The first two times I made my own butternut squash “puree” (it was not that smooth) in my food processor but the next times I used pumpkin puree from the store. There was not a big difference.
    I didn’t have honey the first time I made it so I used coconut nectar (to taste). I’ve continued to use that.
    Yesterday I used the chia seed substitution since we were out of eggs. I think I slightly prefer the version with egg.
    I use extra dark chocolate chips and mix them right into the batter. I also added chopped walnuts which add a great crunch.
    Please check out my full review at

6. Madeleine says

I would just like to say, that this was AMAZING! I decided to try it out for a Sunday afternoon treat. I love the texture. Just a question – Would you keep it in the fridge or is it fine just in aa container in the cupboard?

7. miranda says

do you have a way to make this recipe with flour/eggs/butter or whatever. i’m not a vegetarian/vegan and i don’t have any gluten allergies or what-not. but i really wanna make this recipe with the normal stuff….

8. Alicia says

is there a difference between using canned pumpkin versus using a purée you make on your own via the recipe you posted above after making the caramel sauce?
    thanks so much!!

I just wanted to say that this cake is absolutely delicious and a real life saver with helping me have my sweet fix as I recently found out I’m allergic to almost everything (soy, gluten, dairy, almonds, sunflower and garlic to name a few). I sub the egg for some banana, the honey for agave and the chocolate chips for dairy free chocolate chips and it’s absolutely amazing! Thank you for posting this! I have shared it with a few of my friends who share similar food restrictions and they’re huge fans as well!

10. Valérie says

Hi! Just made it but it turns out it did not turned like described in the post. It makes me think of a soft biscotti… but still very dry. We won’t eat it :(. I made this recipe with a friend and we triple-checked the ingredients as we couldn’t believe what we made it the right thing… but we did made it perfectly as is. What could have happened?

11. jeni says

This is my new go to! I make one every Sunday and nibble on it all week (if it lasts that long!) I have been adding three or four dates to my wet ingredients and then blending everything in my ninja and it makes it even more moist and amazing! thanks so much for this great recipe!

12. Heather says

Great recipe!! I didn’t have any baking soda on hand so I substituted baking powder in (hopefully) the correct conversion! Do you have any nutritional information already calculated for this recipe? Just curious, thank you for sharing!!

13. Sara says

Oye…this needs a lot more chocolate chips to make it tasty and the glaze hardly covers even half of it. I think it needs to be TBS not tsp. It tastes like a loaf of health food without the chocolate chips. Don’t think I’ll be making this again.

14. Cate says

Hi! Going to make it!
    A question. What is the brown sauce on the sides on the plate? And what cream did you put on top of the cake? Could I use baking powder instead of soda? Maybe use more. I’m not sure how good baking soda is? Since it’s used for cleaning. And in Hollabd they don’t sell it.

Hi cate! The sauce is sweet potato caramel (which I’ve put a link to in the post, if you want to make it) and I think I put creme fraiche on it when I served it. You can use baking powder, just use 2 tsp instead :) Baking soda is absolutely safe for using in food!

15. Denny says

Hi! Thank you for such a wonderful idea. I have one question, though. Can this recipe be good for making muffins?

16. regina says

Can you give me the calorie, carb and sugar info on the chocolate fudge loaf please? My hubs is diabetic and I would love to make this for him

1. […] First, we have Top With Cinnamon. Having discovered this blog a year ago, what I enjoy most about it is the fact that it’s run by a 17 year old girl and still extremely successful. She posts “a multitude of culinary delights – mostly sweet – ranging from the indulgent to the wholesome and hearty.” Here’s a snapshot of one of her more recent recipes, titled “Healthy Sticky Chocolate Fudge Cake (like, super fudgy no joke) {Gluten, Dairy + Grain Free}.” […]