Cranberry-Pecan-Rye Soda Bread

Cranberry-Pecan-Rye Soda Bread

First just a little thing (I feel like I keep bugging you guys with this, sorry! haha – do you accept cake payment..?)

Soo you know how a few days ago I told you I was nominated for an award? WELL I’ve made it through to the final 10 in The Kitchn‘s ‘The Homies’ blog awards which is pretty insane. I’m in the blogs from abroad section :) I’m in amazingly good company over there!

Anywho if you’d like to vote for me (it takes a few mins just to register) then that would make me so happy!

You can vote here

Okay thanks everyone for that awkward side note! On to the recipe, eh?

—————————————————————————

Who’s had the most tiring half-term in the WORLD?

ME.

I barely feel like I stood still for those 7 days, dayum! Waffle/cocktail parties, taking the train all over the place, shooting photos ahhhh. At least I did something I guess haha. (I did manage to fit in watching about 10 episodes of Charmed – it is the best show. Holy woah. I’m at the part where Cole was the source and then DIED but is still half-alive and has powers again??? It’s plot twist central. Anyone know what I’m talking about? I know I’m 15 years late on this…)

Cranberry-Pecan-Rye Soda Bread

I also managed to get my friend Tess (she blogs over at The Yes Chef) to come over and make soda bread with me! We had a mini Adobe Lightroom session and styled butter into cute little stacks (as you can see). It’s good to know people who understand the importance of styling butter.

She also got to see me in my most elegant state – ‘photographer mode’ – where I climb all over the sofa and kneel on the floor taking photos.

I’m good at making friends, I think :/

Cranberry-Pecan-Rye Soda Bread

So if you’ve never had soda bread you might be like ‘what even IS it? Are you adding cola to bread dough, Izy? are you insane?’.

Soda bread is pretty much magic. It’s like cakey bread which requires no kneading or rising because it’s made with bicarbonate of soda- super useful for weekdays when there is NO BREAD left. Everything seems to kind of feel a lot worse if there is no bread around, doesn’t it?

I need carbs, people. NEED.

Cranberry-Pecan-Rye Soda Bread

And how do we make carbs better? Buttah! and a liiiitle drizzle of honey.

Seriously try it out if you haven’t before.

We used the  Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s recipe but switched a few of the ingredients up and added a few handfuls of pecans and dried cranberries for extra flavour. Pretty epic.

Although I think next time, I’ll have to get some cinnamon in there too hahah 😉

Cranberry-Pecan-Rye Soda Bread

Notes

– We subbed half rye and half wholemeal flour for the plain flour.

– Instead of the yogurt and milk combo, feel free to use 400 ml of buttermilk instead

– You can leave the pecans and cranberries out or replace with other nuts/seeds/dried fruits

Adapted from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall’s Soda Bread Recipe from River Cottage Every Day

Cranberry-Pecan Rye Soda Bread
250 g (2 cups minus 2 tbsp) wholemeal flour
250 g (2 cups) rye flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup pecan halves, chopped
1/3 cup dried cranberries
160 ml (2/3 cup) plain yogurt
250 ml (1 cup) milk

Preheat your oven to 200 C (400 F) and dust a baking tray with some flour.

In a large bowl stir together the flours, baking soda, salt, chopped pecans and cranberries. Add the milk and yogurt and stir together to form a cohesive dough (you many need a splash more milk to get it to come together).

Pour the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and shape with your hands into a rough ball. Place onto the baking sheet, sprinkle with some extra flour and score a cross shape in the top of the loaf.

Bake for 40-50 minutes until darkened and the loaf sounds hollow when the underside is tapped.

Let cool for 10 minutes before tearing apart.

Comments

Have you ever tried honey and halloumi on toast?
    I see you’re the bread/topping pairing queen, so I had to ask! Its..just..blooming delicious ultra salty ultra sweet khfkfsjkfsj and this post reminded me of it!
    Lovely post as usual, never tried soda bread but as usual you’ve inspired me to do so!
    Good luck with yo’ studiez, its deffo calm before the storm right about now !

I love soda bread, I just posted one yesterday as well! I love the combination of rye and whole wheat, and those butter slices are expertly sliced and styled :) Congrats on the nomination!

Ahh Izy this looks so so delicious!! I never make bread – especially since I usually cannot be bothered to wait for it to rise and such. too much planning! But this one sounds perfect!

The pictures came out absolutely stunning though. What lens do you use??

{Teffy’s Perks} X

Thanks Teffy!!

haha you spotted it – I JUST got a new lens (managed to get my parents to pay for half of it as my only 18th bday present..). I was using a 35mm f/1.4 lens (canon). It’s a professional lens soooo it be pricey. I usually use the 50mm f/1.8 which is only £50 compared to the £800 this cost

This looks fantastic. I also love soda breads because their simplicity can’t be beat. Bread in about an hour’s time? Sign me up. Love this flavor combination!

Ooh, hooray! Soda bread is one of my favorite quick breads ever–and it doesn’t hurt that it’s almost more of a cake than a bread. I usually go for a classic version with caraway seeds, but mixing it up with hearty rye and pecans sounds so good!

Love love love soda bread, and wholemeal and rye? YES PLEASE!
    And i can completely associate with hectic half term – seriously, where did that 7 days go, felt more like 1 haha!
    Lovely photography again :)

7. Linnea says

I used to buy soda bread all the time when i lived in London! Thank you for giving me a trip down memory lane in the shape of drlicious bread. Just what i needed now in cold rainy Stockholm. Being swedish i swaped the cranberries for some lingonberry jam. And swaped nuts for student budget friendly sunflower seeds. Now i’m just wondering why I haven’t made soda bread before! :)

Oh my oh my does this look absolutely tasty! I looove Irish soda bread and this looks like that on steroids. I think this is a must make! Thanks for sharing this recipe and your lovely gorgeous magnificent photos, as always. xx

LOVE me some soda bread (being half Irish and all). I am looking forward to my mom sending me some from home in NY so I can enjoy it over here in LA, but this one sounds delicious!

10. Melodie says

Can I substitute whole grain spelt flour for whole wheat flour 1:1 or would I need to modify the recipe? Plus … I am wondering if subbing spelt for whole wheat would change the texture and flavor of the bread in not such a good way and if it would be better to just stick to the recipe as written and not change anything.

I think you might be able to get away with using the spelt in place of the ww flour. It might make the bread denser than usual because there’s more gluten in spelt flour

11. Isabelle says

Hi, um can I just stop and tell you how amazing this blog is? Like this is my favorite food blog. Anyway I just love the Cranberry-Pecan-Rye soda bread. It’s really simple and straight forward to do. And I’ve never really had bread like this before but there’s a first time for everything. *You’ve also got me somewhat hooked on baking

Trackbacks