Artisanal Toast and THE BIGGEST NEWS {meteor sized news}…

Toast 008-2

I have two staple breakfast/ after school food ‘things’ – either yogurt and museli (sounds boring but it’s super customisable) or TOOOOAST.

There’s always a loaf of sunflower seed bread (this one, specifically) in the fridge. It makes the BEST straight up buttered toast. Actually life changing. It’s also got the seeds in it and some bran so I don’t end up crashing by 11 am.

I’m not the boring toast type. I’m the customiser, the layer-er (as I’ve said more than a few times before). the toast queen, basically. I’ve had this post sitting in my drafts for like 4 months and now, 27 revisions later, I’ve found out that fancy toast is like THE trend thing of 2014 (erm…I can totally see why. I would go to a toast bar. Give me moar toast. Give me all the toast) so thought it would be the right time to post it.

I’ve put together a list of some of my favourite combos for your t(o)asty pleasure.

Yep, toast recipes…

Untitled2

In case you missed that (my face is pretty hard to spot. I’m basically an expert at Photoshop / look like Eva Longoria, duh)

AUTUMN 2014, HOLLAAAAAAAAA

(You literally do not know how long I’ve been waiting to use that photo set for this exact purpose)

Okay so my heart is beating kind of fast right now.

Yes, it is officially official. 100%, 10/10, I’m hyperventilating happening.

I’ve been writing (and styling and photographing and…cooking..) a cookbook.

Since AUGUST. Holy crap it’s been hard to keep it on the dl.

aaaand now you know why my posting has been slow, the kitchen has looked like this during the weekends lately:

069

Actually, this is a relatively low level of mess compared to what it usually looks like when I’m in the kitchen.

Look at that spreadsheet on the iPad. Aww yeah. I have become a document organising pro now. Evernote and Dropbox are my life.

I’ll be doing a little post with some more info at some point – but in the mean time BIG LOVE AND HUGS TO ALL OF YOU; your support from comments, tweets, likes and just READING Top With Cinnamon means so much to me and is basically the reason why I have this amazing opportunity. It hasn’t really hit me properly yet, I keep doing that thing of thinking about it and then I can’t breathe for one thousand years and then I forget again.

Now lets toast to all of YOU awesome people (AHAHA. I do love a good pun as you well know.)

The French Toast: Pecan butter + Maple Syrup + Cinnamon + Maldon

The French Toast: Pecan butter + Maple Syrup + Cinnamon + Maldon

The Macaroon: Coconut butter / almond butter + Honey + Desiccated Coconut

Toast 016-2

(I do use plates occasionally… :/ )

The ‘That Whole Foods Bread’*: Almond butter + Honey + Cinnamon + Pecans + Dried Cranberries

The 'That Whole Foods Bread'*: Almond butter + Honey + Cinnamon + Pecans + Dried Cranberries

The Dessert: Nutella + Maldon (or raspberry jam)

toast 003

The Dessert: Nutella + Raspberry Jam

The Classic: Peanut butter + Honey + Banana

The Classic: Peanut butter + Honey + Banana

The Doughnut: Salted Butter + Cinnamon + White Sugar + Grated Nutmeg

The Doughnut: Salted Butter + Cinnamon + White Sugar + Grated Nutmeg

The Almond Croissant: Almond butter + Almond Extract + Flaked Almonds + Powdered Sugar

(mix almond butter and extract, spread on toast. Layer on almonds and dust with sugar)

*this is referring to my favourite loaf of bread from Whole Foods that I only rarely buy – sourdough cranberry-pecan bread. Ughhhhh, too good.

p.s. there is a *real* post coming this Thursday. It involves a 6 layer cake. And chocolate among other things, cos guess what guys? I’m turning mo’ fo-in 18 years old on the 13th. Yeah.

Comments

HOT DAMN, GIRL. Congratulations! I’ll be anxiously awaiting it’s arrival in Canada and I can’t wait to dive in. So well deserved for someone with SUCH talent. xx

hahah I’m glad someone finds me funny! I think loads of people get sick of the puns but I CAN’T STOP!
      Thanks so much Sneh! (I’m so excited to get my hands on your book!)

WooT!! Three cheers from over here in Canada. Great news, Izzy! You were always the one to watch. I’ll be the first to pre-order.

Good luck with all the rest of the book. I know a bit about what it feels like. ;) xox

thanks Allison! haha I thought it would be the best way to do it :)
      I keep making that almond croissant toast soo often – my mum got really mad at me cos I ended up stirring almond extract into the jar of nut butter because I was making it so often!!

3. rb says

WOW, congrats! I am a fellow toast lover; bostock was my most recent fling (before that, savory french toast). any preference for toaster model? admittedly my $10 craigslisted, made in china proctor-silex has kept going, but sometimes I daydream of something a bit prettier.

thank you!!
      Toast needs it’s own category in the food pyramid, like: dairy, meat, fruit, TOAST.
      Well I’ve always used the one my parents insist on buying – it’s a Dualit toaster and toasts really unevenly BUT basically never breaks!

• rb says

oooh…pardon me for being nosy, but may I ask – which Dualit? they’re so cute! out of fond memories of breakfasts at Ottolenghi when I studied abroad, I’ve been thinking of getting the original, but I heard the newgen model isn’t very reliable. sorry to hear about the uneven toasting, although if it’s any comfort to you, your pictures do not betray a thing.

ermmm it’s the silver one… :/
          we had one before and it lasted for 15 years or something insane and finally broke 3 years ago. We replaced it with the same one (I guess it’s a classic model) and it’s been fine so far!

I’ve learnt how to deal with the uneven toasting (I eat too much toast, I think :/ ) by flipping each slice halfway through :)

Congrats congrats congrats!!! That’s super exciting! And yes toast is delicious and needs to be enjoyed so many ways, the almond croissant one is my fav!

5. Karin says

Because you put almond essence into the cashew nut butter and I made a salad dressing with it!!!!!!!you nutter!
    Love you!

6. Laura says

YAY IZY!!! so happy for you! can’t wait ’til your book (yes, read that again: YOUR book) comes out! I think, actually I’m sure, it’ll be great! I couldn’t be more thankful to Sorted Food! they made me found your blog, and I’m so glad I did. Congratulations!

Congratulations on your book! I am always thrilled when I find a positive role model to share with my young daughter, and I think she might love trying some of your toast combinations as I’m just beginning to teach her her way around the kitchen :)

8. Jamie says

such a coincidence that this was a toast post (aha that rhymed)! i just had toast this morning (almond butter with roasted blueberries, ceylon cinnamon, and merlot sea salt) and totally instagrammed it whatttt..!

OMG I am so happy for you! this is my favorite blog ever! i’m also 17 and love to cook so you’re a huge inspiration!
    Can’t wait for Autumn 2014!!!!!

SUPER congrats, Izy!! SO well deserved. CAN’T WAIT to hear more about it, and oh my god. This is going to be the most beautiful cookbook EVER with your photos (and your recipes – YUM).

And TOAST. Yes. The Doughnut is my jam.

10. Chamallow says

WOHOO IZY!! Congrats! For your b-day aaaaand your cookbook, thats amazing! I think I’m probably even more exited than you, I just N-E-E-D T-H-A-T B-O-O-K <3 Have to have it, on one way or another ;) Please tell me it will be availabe on other countries than Britain too, like on Amazon or something. Because can't handle, want it now! Haha ok, I'm 100% sure it worth to wait.

Yeeaaahhh!! Thank you :)) haha well it seems like you are ;) I know it’s gonna be published in the UK and US, not sure about other countries yet but it’ll defs be available on Amazon

Izy,
    Congratulations to you and can’t wait to see the new cookbook.
    One of my favorite “toasts” is on sourdough, with peanut butter and diced jalapeños for a slightly Thai-influenced crunchy deliciousness. Try it!

I clicked over here so fast and the internet loaded so soooo slow I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Ugh. A cookbook?!? Young prodigious aspirations achieved before the big 1-8? CONGRATS! (Also I got so excited to post this comment that I left out all the required fields….yes, it was that exciting. Vicarious living, folks!)

hah! The internet always just HAS to fail when you want it to load the fastest, so frustrating!! Thanks Ala :) heheh I’ve done that before too ;)

Eeeppp! Congratulations! A book deal before you’re 18!?!?! That’s crazy good! You’re so accomplished, at such a young age!!!

I can’t wait to get my hands on a copy of it either :)

congratulations on the book!!! wow!!
    I wish that could be my reason for not posting so often – :) lol

and the 13th is your birthday! thats amazing !!! my daughter is on the 13th to but she is turning 10 —- so when we are doing cake and stuff I’ll think a little of you too

have a fab week

Betty Bake

Thanks Betty!
      haha well it’s life that just gets in the way, isn’t it?

YES! I’ve never known anyone else who has the same birthday as me :) aww same here

ERMAGHERD IZY,. so THIS is why you’ve been disappearing on us hehe. Ok all is forgiven! But duuudddeeeeee, wowsers, massive congratulations! I so can’t wait to get my hands on one (you know you’re gonna have to autograph it for me right?) :P

Yay!! A top with cinnamon cookbook will be the best thing evah! I’m definitely buying it:) And toast – oh man do I love toast! Like 100% of the time, toast is the perfect meal/snack/comfort food. I love it with avocado or just with loads of salted butter (like loads)!

Woah Woah Woah!!!
    First of, CONGRAAAAATS!!!! I’m from Spain and know that have a not good english level, but this won’t be a problem to read, understand and done the lovely recipes, so definitly I’ll buy your cookbook <3!
    And toasts, well I'm not much into toast but a Nutella one always will have a place on my little stomach hahahha! :D

Congrats again for this AMAZING new!! Let's celebrate it ;)

thank you Sandra! None of the recipes are complicated so I think you’ll be fine too
      Nutella is the most addictive spread in the world – I cannot stop eating it ughghghg

Thaaaanks!!

I’ve been quietly reading your blog for a few months now, but this seems like the perfect moment to say hi! and congratulations! I love reading your blog – and your photography is stunning – so I have no doubt I’ll love reading your cookbook, too. Brilliant news, well done. :)

thanks Jessica!!! Totally feeling the same way about you and your book – I know it’ll be AH-MAZING :)
      heheh glad to hear it, Ima be eating toast too

I can’t even handle all this fancy-ass toast! They all sound amazing. And congratulations Izy! So excited for you. I know it’s gonna be a beaut for sure :) xoxo

I have been waiting for this post!!! Not the toast part…well, that is fabulous, too, but the BOOK! Huuuge congrats to you, Izy. This is such an exciting time and SUCH a ginormous accomplishment for an almost mo’ fo-in 18yr old. So well deserved and amazing. Enjoy this time and the madness of when your book actually comes out. It’s going to be a HIT. Hugs + high fives to you! xoxo p.s. I truly hope you made AND ate ALL of that toast in the same day. :)

ahaha, I know! it took me a while to find the right time to post it and it just happened! Thank you times a million Ashley, you’re the best!! Hugs and high fives back! (I wish I had but I did it in three batches because I felt like such a TOAST MONSTER after eating 3 slices in a space of half an hour haha) xx

Holy sh*&!! Izy you are so freaking impressive. And I always forget that you are WHAT not even 18?!?!? Major, major props. You are awesome and I can’t wait to see/buy your book!!!!!

Congratulations Izy, I have no doubts your book is going to look amazing!! And early happy birthday (I knew you were talented, but I had not idea you were so young!) :)

23. Kate says

This is amazing news! Maybe it’s because it’s Monday, I might be being really dim but . . . is this a recipe for toast plus a cookbook announcement, or is the cookbook going to be things on toast?!

CONGRATS :) that is amazing! I can’t wait for the book to come out because I will DEFINITELY be buying a copy. I have been following your blog for a while not because the food is AMAZING (I have tried a couple recipes) but stylistically your photos are gorgeous and the entire site design is so pretty. Keep up the good work! I am so excited for you! :)

OMG! Congratulation! I can’t wait to buy your cookbook :) It’s amazing! I’m very happy for you, you deserve it!
    Those toasts recipes look good, I’ll try them!
    Much love, Virginie

COOKBOOK! OH MY LORD!!!! IZY!! WHOA!!! Congratulations girl! Your kick-ass work has finally payed off. I’m so happy for you, I can’t even stand it! I would totally make you a ginormous cake and hug you in a totally-not-awkward way right now if I could. {Hopefully May!} Love this post on toast combos. You’re feeding my ever-growing obsession, oh no.

27. Travis says

Congratulations on the cookbook! Very exciting! An early happy birthday to you! And thanks for the toast ideas. I love toast! :)

28. erin says

oh my wooord, so first off congrats on the cookbook I am pumped for it to come out! also, we are only two days apart…I’ll be 18 on the 15th! whoop whoop

29. Elizabeth says

I’m thrilled for you!!!! Book Tour USA!!!!! Come visit Los Angeles. Beautiful weather and delicious food eating opportunities!!

OMFGIZYCONGRAAAAAATTTSHURRAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUDE, holy $*#&, I’m so excited. :D I can’t wait to hear more!!! (Also, I was totally thinking the other day, “I’m pretty sure Izy’s birthday is soon.” It’s nice to know that I still have some sense of time/reality! Woooo EIGHTEEEN!)

P.S. I think that almond croissant toast is the most beautiful toast that ever was. Totally the preferred snack of heavenly angels.

AHHHHHHHHHHH
      AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
      Thanks so much Carey!!!!! Holy %*&# is basically how I’m feeling right now!! So excited to share more info :)
      Wow you’re god at remembering – I’m hopeless at knowing birthdays!

heheh it’s all the powdered sugar makin it look dreamy!

x

Izy, congrats!!! That is seriously awesome news, but I’m not surprised at all. You are one talented lady (soon to be woman, hahahah, don’t worry, 18’s awesome) and I am so excited for you! Will you sign my copy?? :)

Izy, I am beyond excited for you and also in awe of you! You are the only blogger I know that is closest in age to me. I just turned 20 and have been doing this (food blogging) for a little over a year now and wishing I would have started when I was 16. I love it!

Anyway you are so inspiring and I cannot wait to get your book in my hands. Congrats!

Oh and toast rules.

Ahh thanks so much Tieghan!! i can’t believe you’ve only been at it for a year!? you’re like TOTALLY PRO :O

Same to you girl! thanks again :)

CONGRATULATIONS OMG IZY SO PROUD GAHH I LOVE YOUR BLOG SO EXCITED FOR YOUR BOOK. I AM HYPERVENTILATING! YOU’RE AMAZING!

ps. the toast looks amazing!

Congratulations!!! I can’t wait to order it! I think your photography is simply amazing and at just 18!! Bravo! Such a big fan & So happy for you!!

xoxo

Channing

Congratulations!! I just read your incredible chocolate cake post and clicked back to this one. This is so exciting!!! I can’t wait to see it. If your blog is ANY indication, it’s going to be beautiful and scrumptious! Now to go make some almond croissant toast (for the lazies!).

Stopping by your blog for the first time. And I’ve spent the last half hour on here! CONGRATULATIONSS! That’s amazing news. Always always happy to see somebody’s dream come true (assuming that’s one of your dreams, haven’t been following you long enough :p)

Trackbacks