Coconut Milk Ice Cream w/ Pistachio Crumb + Blueberries {Vegan + GF}

Coconut Milk Ice Cream with a Pistachio Crumb and Blueberries {Vegan + Gluten Free}

PaNCaKE daY is tOmoRRoW

oh my gah

how can it be legal to have a day dedicated to pancakes, eh? Too good to be true. I can/will eat pancakes for all meals EVEN if they are actually crepes (I have talked about my pancake/crepe opinions before: they are different things. They have their own good qualities…buut pancakes totally win over crepes IMO).

I want to say that I’ll be motivated enough to wake up tomorrow and make some pancakes for myself buuut let’s be honest: I’ll end up giving in to the extra 15 minutes of being buried under my duvet….

Then there’s a 90 to 95% chance that I may make up for the lack of breakfast pancakes by having after school pancakes topped with a scoop of this coconut milk ice cream.

I mean if pancake day can be a thing, why can’t it be pancake (with ice cream) day?? That brackets make the ice cream implied so it’s okay, I think.

I finally gave in to the whole coconut milk ice cream thing and I am soooo smitten. First of all I find coconut milk naturally sweet so it means I barely had to add any syrupy stuff to the mixture. Secondly I didn’t have to even turn on the stove to make it, I literally stirred the ingredients in a bowl and poured them straight into the ice cream maker. What a win.

Ughgh why did no one tell me that this is so awesome!? I wanna live in a coconut world, man because side note: whipped coconut cream is a thing that is delicious and amazing, too.

As some one who’s verrry texturally sensitive (that is a thing, isn’t it?) food-wise I sprinkled a toasty pistachio crumb onto the ice cream for some crunchy variation and some uplifting, spring-y colour.

It’s perfect for the days when it almost doesn’t rain and feels like warmer weather might actually be on its way… A feeling that I’ve only had about 3 times in the past month. But hey, that leaves me with more ice cream for Pancake ( with Ice cream) day, RIGHT!?

Also guys, I collaborated with West Elm on this post (we have a West Elm in London now YAY!). You can see the recipe on their blog, Front & Main, here with links to all of the pretty, pretty props that I used from their store :)

I’m going to have 3 more spring recipes that’ll be up on my blog and their blog over the next few weeks, too.

If you’re in London btw there’s an Etsy Pop-Up event going on this Thursday at the West Elm (which Ima be visiting…because of a) cake but also b) cute prop things).

Coconut Milk Ice Cream with Pistachio Crumb and Blueberries {Vegan + Gluten Free}
1 (400 ml/14 oz) can of full fat coconut milk, chilled
2 tbsp maple syrup or agave syrup
pinch of salt
1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla extract
To serve:
Pistachio crumb (see recipe below)
Fresh blueberries
Pistachio Crumb:
1/3 cup (60 g) shelled pistachios
4 tbsp almond meal
¼ tsp baking soda
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp maple or agave syrup
To make the ice cream:

Stir together the coconut milk, syrup and salt in a large jug. Run a knife down the length of the vanilla bean (if using) and scrape out the ‘caviar’ using the knife. Add this (or the vanilla extract) to the coconut milk mixture. Stir together until combined. Churn in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer churned ice cream to a lidded container and freeze until serving.

Serve with the pistachio crumb and fresh blueberries.

To make the pistachio crumb:

Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper. Either blend the pistachios in a food processor or chop them by hand until fine and mealy. In a bowl, stir together the pistachio meal, almond meal and baking soda. Add the coconut oil and syrup then use your fingertips to rub the oil into the nuts and combine all the ingredients. Spread out on the baking tray and bake for 4-7 minutes until the crumbs near the edge of the pan are starting to brown. Let cool before serving with the ice cream. Store any leftover crumb in an airtight container.

Comments

It should be called desserts for breakfast day but any goes for me! I simply love the set up you have here. It can be coconut ice cream or normal milk ice cream; blue berries and the pistachio crumb make it a breakfast of champions!

2. Shelby says

I love, love, love coconut icecream and would also love to make it myself, but alas, I’ve no icecream maker. Uh oh. Any suggestions for the “un-equipped”? Thanks. I appreciate your help!

Shelby

I *think* what you might be able to do (I’ve seen this done with regular ice cream bases before) is freeze the mixture in a large lined pan or an ice crube tray. Then once its completely frozen break the sheet of mixture up into pieces (or just take the frozen cubes of mixture) and put into a food processor. Then blend it until it’s all sooth and creamy and either eat it then or freeze again.

Otherwise there’s that method of freezing it in a tray and every 30 mins-ish you dump the mixture into a bowl and mix it with electric beaters. Spread back into the tray – freeze again. Repeat. For like 3 hours total or something.

growing up, my grandpa would sometimes put ice cream and strawberries on our waffles…so a scoop of this ice cream on some pancakes would be totally appropriate! also, there must be a blueberries + ice cream bug going around b/c Salt & Straw here in Portland has a blueberry pancake ice cream this month AND I have a blueberry maple cheesecake ice cream in the works. it must be a sign.

4. Bri says

Ok, quick question.

Is a ice cream churned in an ice cream maker? Is there any way I could just whip it real good? Or stir it in my stand mixer for a while? I NEED this ice cream in my life, and I don’t have a nice cream maker.
    Also, could I use coconut cream instead of coconut milk? Would that help?
    Thanks!

it is indeed

I wouldn’t use purely coconut cream instead – that’d probably make it veeerrry greasy tasting

I’m such a huge fan of coconut milk anything….and I can’t believe I haven’t tried making ice cream with it yet! Shame on me :P This sounds absolutely divine!! And I’m totally a texture person as well…so toasty pistachio crumbs sound like the perfect finishing touch!

I JUST learned about whipped coconut cream a couple of weeks ago and now THIS! Too exciting. I am trying this coconut goodness for sure. Happy pancakes day! I wasn’t about to get up extra early to make some but I will be making a big stack for dinner. My kids won’t stop talking about it. :-)

You have such gorgeous photographs of the food you make! Why did I never think to scoop some ice cream on top of a pancake? I can only imagine how wonderful a warm pancake and some partially melted ice cream might be together. Loving your blog!

Oh my gosh. I think we are sisters separated at birth. Coconut milk ice cream (including BLUEBERRIES) you are in mah head, dude. This is awesome.
    Sobbing over here because I don’t have an ice cream maker.(haha, seriously. it’s not right.)
    Pinning this gorgeousness!

I absolutely love coconut milk and it tastes awesome in ice cream! This looks sooo delicious and especially with those blueberries on top. Blueberries and cream…just perfect. Pinned.

This is perfect because I’ve just recently become obsessed with coconut ice cream! I love the texture and I can eat a lot of it without my stomach becoming upset C: I wonder if I can make this without an ice cream machine.
    Also, conveniently, accidentally I made pancakes on pancake day – oops! I totally understand the lingering under the duvet – that’s nearly every morning for me.

Me too!!

I *think* what you might be able to do (I’ve seen this done with regular ice cream bases before) is freeze the mixture in a large lined pan or an ice cube tray. Then once its completely frozen break the sheet of mixture up into pieces (or just take the frozen cubes of mixture) and put into a food processor. Then blend it until it’s all sooth and creamy and either eat it then or freeze again.

LOVE this great and easy recipe! Question… when you make this in the ice cream maker, does a bunch of it get stuck to the sides of the ice bowl? Seems to happen to me when I make fro yo or low fat ice cream. Also after you freeze it, it gets super hard, is there any way to avoid this?

yeah i get a layer on the edges of the ice cream maker bowl :/ but that always seems to happen when i make ice cream *sigh*.

Maybe add 1 tbsp of vodka to the mixture – it lowers the freezing point so the mixture should stay softer

Your coconut ice cream looks to die for! Lovely photography, as always. I’ll need to try to make this without an ice cream maker as I still don’t own one :( Do you think it’s a problem? I’ve heard it’s a bit of a challenge to get it creamy without the help of an ice cream maker (this will be my first homemade coconut ice cream!).

Hope you have a lovely weekend,
    Sini

Thanks Sini!

Thanks for your in-depth answer, Izy! This is the first time (at least I think it is) I hear about the ice cube tray method. Would like to try that sometime! I think I’m, however, trying to make your coconut ice cream with the “more traditional” method of sitting by the freezer and vigorously whisking the ice cream mixture every 30 minutes. Will report back.

This looks soooo delicious! I love all the vegan options on your website :) and I just wanted to say, thank you for inspiring me to start blogging! Most food blogs are written by adults, so I wasn’t sure if I should start one, but now I know–it’s possible! Hopefully my blog will be as nice as yours one day :D

You are so right. anything with coconut and I am THERE. this looks particularly delicious. Finally hot enough for me to get back into ice cream. x

I made this over the weekend and really, really loved it. The flavor was not too sweet, the perfect base for some fruit. The crumble is to die for, and I think I will start making it all the time to keep around as a yogurt topping, or even to top off frosted donuts? It has a lovely crunch. Thanks for the delicious AND clean recipe!

I would like to add your blog to the Top Food Blog list in http://www.mytaste.com/ . Your blog is impressively BEAUTIFUL and it deserves to be included on the Top Blog list!! Great recipes!! We will feature your blog so that people will see it on our site and we will make a lot of shout out about your recipes on our fanpages. If you would like to join, here is the link http://www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog .

FOR ANY QUESTION – INFO@MYTASTE.COM

I love coconut ice cream! I grew up with it, buying it from street vendors! I have my own recipe which surprisingly, I have not shared on my blog yet. Anyway, I love the toppings you added, plus every piece of kitchen equipment you use is so beautiful!

oh gosh, this looks amazing!

so sorry to spam, but i’ve just started a food blog and it’d be wonderful if you would check it out…? okayimgnagonow *flies away*

Trackbacks

1. […] this gluten and vegan-free coconut milk ice cream with a pistachio crumb and fresh blueberries by Top with Cinnamon. 5/ Read Assemble Papers recent feature on Dan & Clare Honey’s home in Melbourne. […]