Frozen Mango & Apple Daiquiris

Frozen Mango & Apple Daiquiris

Wow it has been a whiiile.

Kinda disappeared off the face of the (internet) world for about a month and a half there… 6 weeks, four plane journeys plus 11 exams later and I’m back! Finally, phew.

I know this is pretty late now but you may have seen that I went to Las Vegas (hence the rando plane journeys) for Saveur’s Best Food Blog Awards. It was incredible to get to meet so many food bloggers at once – I know that food brings people together but was made even more aware of how easy it was to already feel like everyone was a friend during my short time there. After hearing Molly yell out “IZYYYY!” about two seconds after I’d awkwardly set foot into the first event I could tell it would be a good couple of days (there were waffles, mid-morning chocolates and dim sum, and me being coerced by Cynthia, Molly and Stephanie to attempt an American accent) . Only minor downside was that although I just became legally allowed to drink here in the UK, being under 21 in Nevada does not a legal-drinker make.

I’m making up for it this week though both in this post and in real life 😉

That’s not the most major thing that happened during the last few weeks though cos guess what!?

I’VE FINISHED SECONDARY SCHOOL!! Literally today was the last time I’ll ever make that trek up to the third floor of the science building to go to chemistry, or walk through the courtyard or sit in the dining room. It’s kind of weird to leave a place I’ve spent the majority of the past 7 years of my life at. Of course we had our Sixth Form Leaver’s Ball last night, so the ‘goodbye’ wasn’t so abrupt – complete with selfies with teachers, S-Club 7 dancing and a dolphin-shaped ice sculpture/vodka luge (..don’t ask).

Frozen Mango & Apple Daiquiris

Given all the circumstances I think that a(nother) cocktail recipe is pretty appropriate, right? And these frozen mango & apple daqs are just SOSOSOSO perfect for the boiling hot (okay it’s 23 C..but that’s hot for the UK, man) and double up as a dessert due to the fact that they’re basically boozy mango sorbet. Of course the rum is easy to just leave out if you’re feeling the virgin cocktail vibe instead.

Frozen Mango & Apple Daiquiris

Ahhh I’ve missed this space! Glad to be back.

So yeah, Cliffs Notes version: I’ve finished school: Let’s drink, cheers!

Frozen Mango & Apple Daiquiris

Frozen Mango, Apple & Rum Daiquiris

Serving Size: 2 cocktails

One, medium, ripe mango, peeled, and roughly chopped
1/3 cup (80 ml) water
1/3 cup (80 ml) cloudy pressed apple juice
1 lime, zested and juiced
2 tbsp agave syrup (optional)
2 oz (60 ml) ( golden or white rum (I used golden)
Start prep a few hours in advance as you have to freeze the mixture.

In a food processor blend together the chopped mango, water, apple juice, lime juice and half of the lime zest (reserve the rest for garnish) until smooth. Taste the mixture - if it isn't sweet enough add the agave and blend again until combined.

Pour the mixture into an empty ice cube tray and freeze until solid (at least 5-6 hours).

When you're ready to make the cocktails - place the frozen mango purée cubes into a blender with the rum and blitz until smooth and creamy. Pour into two glasses and serve (garnished with the reserved lime zest, if you want).

Comments

1. Laura says

Congratulations for finishing secondary school, Izy!! I already did so I know the feeling of… ahn.. freedom. LOL
    one question: would substitute the rum for anything else? just curious

Congrats Izy!! I remember that feeling like it was yesterday – let’s pretend it was. Love the look of this libation – especially the addition of the apple. I’ve been telling people for years, apple and rum, apple and rum, ya’ll!! Yay!

Congrats! You are such a baby, I can’t believe you have this beautiful blog and are only in high school (or just done with high school I suppose). I found this blog a while ago and have been eagerly (…creepily?) waiting for a new post and glad to see you’re back :)

Congratulations for finishing secondary school!!! These are surely a must!! I mean, come on. To freaking good and pretty! I love your plate too! :) Have fun celebrating this week!

congratulations and welcome back! your site is at the top of my bookmarks and i was wondering where you might be. glad to know it was vegas. you have an incredible eye for color and composition. you may think of yourself as a student, but i think of you as a teacher. thanks for the inspiration. cheers.

Yay yay YAY and HUGE congrats for finishing, Izy!!! These daiquiris look like the perfect way to celebrate. I’m also still so happy I got to meet you and experience your loveliness in person (you are a million times more composed than I ever was when I was typing “Today is the last day I’ll ever go to Chemistry,” just…btw) and so excited for this upcoming year for you!!! It’s going to be a great one, I just know it.

P.S. Thank you for being OK with us freaking out over your American accent. 😉

Congrats on finishing school! It must be a great feeling, and it’s great to have you back blogging. These look immense, so summery and delicious!

Oh my goodness!! I was so excited to see this post (considering you haven’t been here for a while…)
    Congrats on finishing secondary school!!!
    The daquiris sounds delightful!!! Love all the colors.

You just finished school, you’re super talented, you got a sweet trip to Vegas, and you have a book deal. So yeah, have a daiquiri OR TEN! You’re crushing it! (also, I will join you for a daiquiri)

Yay for finishing school!!!!!!!! I just got done with graduation so I know what you must be feeling! 😀 Happy that it’s over but nostalgic at the same time! No worries! These daiquiris are the perfect way to celebrate a new journey WOOHHOOO!!! CONGRATULATIONSSSSS on winning! <3 Can't wait for your book to be out now!

Congrats Izy!!!! Deffo deserve a cocktail or ten I’d say! AND 11 EXAMS?! This new all exams at the end of the year thing is SO stupid – so glad I finished in 2012!! These mango and apple daiquiris look divine, I may have to replace vodka and coke pre drinks with these bad boys!

Lolol okay so I am sad that I did not get to hear you put on an American accent. (Because btw I am IN LOOVE your with accent…ugh it just sounds so sophisticated to me.)

In other news, CONGRATS ON FINISHING SCHOOL! I am so excited for this coming year to see what you do/make/share with us :))) Aaaand I want these. I imbibed quite a bit of lemon rum this past weekend but WHAT IS GOLDEN RUM?! #intrigued

Oh, my – it’s hard to believe how happy I felt as I saw this post popping up in my feedly – yay to a new recipe/post!!

That got me super excited and the fact that it’s a great drink/dessert thing with mango makes it even better! As I’m currently graduating as well (like you’ve written, a crazy feeling – but huuuuge congrats to you!!) I think it’s appropriate to bring on a drink or two! 😉 so thanks for this great inspiration and once again congratulations on the food blog award! Seemed like you’ve had such a nice time on instagram! :)

Oh my gosh! Well done Izy! Yay! All of the good things!
    Haha… I always thought it was funny that American drinking age is higher than that of the UK and Australia (where I live). Oh well. Maybe Brits and Aussies are… uh… more responsible at a younger age? Yeah whatever!
    Love this cocktail recipe. Gorgeous styling! xx

YAY! So much to celebrate. Congrats, Izy! Can’t wait to hear where your jorney will lead you now that you’ve finished school (no pressure, though!). These daiquiris look fabulous! The perfect way to say goodbye to an old and to welcome a new chapter in your life. Cheers!

congrats on finishing school! what an accomplishment and a relief it is to have all of that work-well-done under your belt.

and this drink. oh, oh yes. it is good. i’m gonna go buy some mangos and rum now, soooo right on.

Loved this post, and all the congratulation! (We need to catch up soon!)

Also, sorry this congrats is coming rather late, only just getting through my Bloglovin’ from while I was on holiday! xx

Trackbacks