Chocolate & Cherry Meringue Stack Cake {GF}

Chocolate & Cherry Meringue Cake // Top with Cinnamon

Three years (..and two days) since starting my blog. Man, I’m not really sure what to say!

It’s weird enough to think that I’ve been on here for 1/6 of my life when it barely feels like a few months have passed. Now I kind of wish that I’d written one of those ‘futureme.org‘ emails when I’d started TWC because I can’t really remember what July 2011 was like and I’d feel WAY too awkward going back and reading my posts. Plus I always love the idea of time capsules/surprises (I went through a phase of leaving £1 in all of my coin purses that I’d forget about, so that when I eventually decided to use it again I’d discover the money and be all ‘awww yeah let’s go buy some bubble gum’).

Dunno if I’ve said this already but I told literally no-one, except my best friend, about the blog when I started it. I think it took about two or three weeks of me ‘sneaking’ around, taking photos of cakes with the crappiest camera ever before my mum eventually asked me what I was doing. I like to think that I was being subtle but evidently I really really wasn’t.

It’s all right now, the fam is in the loop. Wouldn’t that be strange though if this whole time my family didn’t know I had a blog? Wow. They might just think that I enjoyed collecting single plates and planks of wood for fun (?) and was very particular about the amount of time that they had to wait before eating anything I’d made.

Chocolate & Cherry Meringue Cake // Top with Cinnamon

Food blogging is kind of peculiar…and addictive and fun! I get to bake cake and pretend there’s more of a motive than me just really wanting some whipped cream.

I made this cake for a roundup that Saveur asked me to contribute to for their 20th birthday! I figured that I might as well use it to celebrate my 3rd bloggaversary too as it’s suitably celebration-y and this way I can also give you the recipe! It’s not too difficult to make because it’s just meringue disks stacked up with ganache, whipped cream and cherries but you do have to have the oven on for over an hour (at a low temp) to dry out the disks sufficiently. So if you’re boycotting the oven for the time being (thanks July heatwave :| ), you’ll probs want to avoid making this cake right now and just look at the pictures instead.

Chocolate & Cherry Meringue Cake // Top with Cinnamon

To make the top meringue layer I filled a wide, plain tipped piping bag with the meringue mixture and piped little blobs in concentric circles.

– There are two possible ways of serving this cake: You can either attack it with a sharp knife and a spoon, serving it in a messy pavlova style OR freeze the cake for an hour and then slice neatly with a sharp knife which is what I did for the pics of the slices (note that freezing changes the texture of the cherries though)

Chocolate & Cherry Meringue Stack Cake {gluten-free}
5 egg whites
10 oz superfine sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
16 oz cherries, halved and pitted
7 oz bittersweet chocolate, plus extra for grating

Whisk the egg whites in a stand mixer until you get soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar whilst you continue to beat the egg whites until the mixture is glossy and you get stiff peaks. If the mixture is rubbed between your fingers there should be no sugar crystals - if the mixture still feels gritty keep beating it until smooth, then finally beat in the vanilla extract.

Spread the mixture out on two lined cookie sheets to form four, 6-inch diameter disks (see notes). Bake for one and a half hours in an oven preheated to 250 F (120 C) then switch the oven off and leave the meringue in the oven for a further hour.

Melt the chocolate and stir in 1/4 cup of the cream.

Whisk the rest of the cream until just thickened.

To assemble: take one meringue disk and spread a quarter of the chocolate mixture over it. Spread a quarter of the cream over this and then scatter over the cherries. Top with the next meringue stack and repeat the chocolate, cream and cherry layering until you've stacked up all the meringues. Grate a little extra chocolate over the cake for a finishing touch.

Serve immediately or freeze for an hour before slicing for a cleaner cut (see notes).

Comments

Izy!!! Congrats on you bloggaversary ! What you do is amazing)
    I am a beginner in blogging, my blog is only 1 month old. But I hope one day to become as successful as you..!

Happy birthday to your sweet blog Izy! Thanks for all the wonderful recipes and for all your hard work. This meringue cake looks amazing!!
    PS I feel you on the single plates thing, my boyfriend is on the verge of breaking each one so we have more space to actually live in our apartment :)
    xoxo

This cake is incredible Izy!!! I am so in love with this–the pictures are absolutely stunning. The chocolate ganache looks like it is JUST about to drip off the sides too! Wow.

Congratulations on year #3! You’ve achieved so much and you are a constant source of inspiration! xo

Happy anniversary! I had to laugh when you said you waited a few weeks before telling any of your family about your blog. I actually have been blogging for over a year and just told my mom about it. I haven’t told any friends or coworkers yet. I’m just not ready to open my website up to scrutiny from people I know. But, the time is coming soon. I can feel it. And I’m scared!

Congrats Izy!!! Now I want to write an email to myself… That is a really cool idea!! You should do it and send it 3 years later!
    Love the cake!!! The cross section of the cake looks delightful!

6. j says

I’m a new fan but since the first post which I’ve read, I’m constantly impressed. Especially with gifs!

Happy, happy Birthday dear Top with Cinnamon and huuuge congrats to you Izy!! Yours was one of the first blogs that got me hooked into this food blog thing ’bout two years back. The cake seems like the perfect way to celebrate and btw it may sound unbelievable but I went carefull with my blog as well and only a few people knew it at first and most still don’t. I’m unargueably a quite crazy person, but this whole wood and plate collecting thing might just be to much to otake so I’ll better keep it to myself you know ;-) anyways, congrats again and keep doing your thing girl ’cause it’s awesome and you’ve got it down – no need to hide! ….Party time!! :)

Holy balls that cake looks good girl!!! I love it!The photography is stellar and the cherries are lookin mighty fine! In fact….. there. I just went and got a mini bowl of bourbon soaked ones to munch on as I type this. Delish.

PS. Congrats on 3 years!!!!! It’s a huge amount of work to maintain a food blog and you do it with style ! I know what you mean about starting out – I was so awkward to begin with! When I look back at my pictures and recipes from the first year, I shudder. I always wonder if I should remove them (4 years later) but I can never decide. Regardless, I’m stoked for you. Happy bloggy birthday!

Hmm… Keeping blog secret? That would of been a good idea! My blog was slow to start off- my Mom was not to enthralled with the idea! Your cake looks so pretty.

HAPPY THIRD, YOU! I just posted my (2nd) blogiversary post a few days ago because I uh, might’ve missed mine on July 7th. Whoops. But I’m glad you remembered because this cake looks so fab :D I just need you to come over and we can stick our forks into it together. I can’t believe what a journey it’s been for you and am eternally glad we found each other. Wishing you many more awesome moments and times and years on the stellar blog to come, Izy!

This cake looks so delicious! My son is gluten intolerant and I find it quite difficult to find a good recipe for cakes. He loves chocolate and meringue, so I will definitely give it a try. Congratulations to the three years! Keep going:)

Happy Blog Birthday!!! (And we need to go for another epic brunch/ mojito session again soon, whenever I’m next at a loose end between meetings in the big smoke!)

Happy birthday Izy!! What an incredible journey it’s been the last 3 years. I see the cover for your book is up on Amazon now…exciting! Can’t wait to get my hands on a copy x

What a gorgeous cake and such a cool idea!! Happy anniversary!! I was really shy to start to tell people about having a blog – but then I was like, if my friends and family don’t read it, then who will? I have to start somewhere. .congrats!!!

The internet is truly a better place with TWC, Izy. Thank you for all that you do..you’re such a source of inspiration. Cheers from California!!

Congrats Izy! I’ve felt honored to have followed your blogging journey almost from the beginning! I totally feel you on feeling awkward looking at old posts (I occasionally have the temptation to pop back there and clean them up…but never have the nerve to). #bloggerproblems The cake looks delicious!
    Lots of love,
    Erica

CONGRATS on 3 years of awesome blogging, Izy! Your space is such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your love for food with us. [Side note: It took me almost half a year (!!) before I told my family I had a blog…and a few week later I was nominated for the Saveur BFBA. Oh man, it would have been so much more awkward to tell her after that. Like ‘Mom, I got invited to Vegas cause I’ve been doing this food blogging thing for a while’ ;)]

Happy Blog Birthday Izy!!! Congratulations on achieving so much over the last three years. It’s an incredible achievement! The meringue stack looks incred! Can you imagine the sugar-rush?

Also, it would be pretty spectacular if you managed to keep this highly successful online space a secret from the family for so long!

Katie <3

Congratulations on three years (and two days!) of beautiful blogging, Izy! Your work is so inspiring and you must be so proud of everything that you have created in this space… Here’s to three more years of gorgeous posts and decadent cakes (like this one!)… Xx

20. Maria Lopez says

This is a very very pretty cake! its sooo beautifully created and looks soo fab! do you wear protection gloves when you prep your ingredients or you just do it with your bare hands?

21. Maria Lopez says

There is only one word for this “perfection”, amazing preparation and picturesque dessert..:) thank you for sharing..:)

Made this today with fresh raspberries, for my son’s 19th birthday cake. It’s not as pretty as it could have been, as my hands are both really bad with carpal tunnel syndrome but boy oh boy, it sure tasted good!!! Carolyn

23. Emily says

congrats on your blog! i am dying to make this cake for my best friends birthday but we live in the rockies and i was wondering if i should follow different directions for high altitude. Thanks!

Trackbacks