Chocolate Chia Ice Cream!

Chocolate Chia Ice Cream 029

(Quickly wanna say thanks for all the kind words on my 3rd blogaversary post a couple of weeks ago!)

I thought that this week I’d go for something a lot more fitting weather-wise. ICE CREAM. Well, maybe it’s ice cream but it doesn’t involve cream, eggs or even cornstarch. Technically  it should have one of those names that brands have to use when they make sketchy diet ice cream and call it ‘frozen dessert’. But, uhhh, that’s not an incredibly appetising name.

Let’s stick with ice cream.

Chocolate Chia Ice Cream 004-2

Chia seeds have become somewhat of a trend recently (I say recently but it’s been over a year. It takes a while for these types of trends to reach the UK). I’ve never been a fan of them due to the slimy texture they take on once soaked in liquid. They absorb water and swell to form a gel which thickens whatever liquid they’re in. Still, no matter how much fruit or flaked coconut you throw on that shiz it’ll always look like my worst nightmare.

This year I’ve noticed that people have been exploiting the properties of the seeds to thicken mixtures and create jam, fruit curds and pudding. Some of these types of recipes involved soaking and then blending them to create a smooth and creamy texture. Sounded much more like my cup of tea!

Chocolate Chia Ice Cream 053

As ice cream base is pretty much flavoured custard, and custard = pudding, I saw no reason why I couldn’t make a smooth chocolate chia pudding and then churn it in an ice cream maker. And guess what!? It TOTALLY worked. Yeah okay you didn’t have to guess that because there are pictures and a blog post. Even my mum, a chia pudding sceptic like me, said that it was the ‘Best chia has ever tasted!’ .

The even greater news is that those little seeds are super good for you (as you’ve probably heard x100 ) so if you’re missing out on eating them because of the texture thing, you don’t have to any more! As always, chocolate saves the day.

Chocolate Chia Ice Cream 036

Recipe inspired by Jessica’s (How Sweet Eats) Whipped Double Chocolate Chip Chia Pudding

Chocolate Chia Ice Cream!
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 2/3 cup milk (2%, cashew, almond or coconut work well)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
4 pitted medjool dates
optional: chocolate curls, cacao nibs for serving

Stir all the ingredients (except for the dates) together in a medium jug until completely combined. Stir in the dates then chill the mixture overnight (or for at least four hours).

Pour the soaked mixture into a high powered blender and blitz until completely smooth. The mixture should be thick and creamy. Transfer the mixture back to the jug and chill until you're ready to churn it.

Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturers instructions. Transfer the churned mixture to a lidded container and freeze until firm enough to scoop. Serve with chocolate curls (created using a peeler on a bar of chocolate) and cacao nibs if you want!

Comments

I love the idea of using chia seeds as the thickener in ice cream! That never would have occurred to me. I feel like the blending in freezing probably helps the chia seed texture situation too. Major dessert smarts!

Holy. My jaw literally dropped when I saw this ice cream. It looks so incredible. Your photos are incredible. Your dishes are gorgeous. Everything about this is like perfection. I can’t wait to try it!
    And I love that no cashew butter or canned coconut milk is involved. Revolutionary!
    Pinning for later. (;

I’m not a fan of the texture of chia seeds in general, but I actually prefer the whole seeds in my pudding instead of the ones that are blitzed (whaaaa?). BUT! I need to try this ice cream because mixing my favorite indulgent ingredient (chocolate) with my favorite healthy ingredient (chia) is a match made in dessert heaven. <3 Fist bumps to ya, woman.

4. Anja says

I made it and it was TO DIE FOR! It was my first homemade ice cream, my first time working with chia seeds and it worked perfect, I am so happy!
    I used like twice the amount of regular, smaller dates (because expensive 😉 ), regular 60% chocolate and no maple syrup because the kind of hazelnut milk I had on hand is lightly sweetened with rice syrup.
    I found it hardens quite a bit when you store it in the freezer, but I ate most of it directly out of the ice cream maker so that didn’t matter much.
    Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

I have another question concerning your book: I’d really like to buy it, I just wondered which kind of measurings you included? Cups, oz, grams? I’m german and I’d love to see grams.. 😀
    Congrats by the way! We are the same age and I adore you so much! *fangirling*

Anja :)

Can I just say thank you? This looks so amazing! Chocolate and chai and ice cream.(kind of just sounds like the title) I just stumbled on this and I am so excited that I did! Thank you for sharing this!!

What a great idea with the chia seeds. Chia seeds are so versatile and you pictures make it look so delicious. But of course with chocolate, maple syrup and vanilla it has to be. I will try this – thanks!

Oh my god, I am easily going to do this soon! I actually happen to lika chiaseeds, but I have never tried to mix the pudding. It sound delicious!

8. Tammy says

Looks delicious!

Few questions though…

A. How much does it yield?
    B. does it work well even if you don’t have an icecream machine
    C. If I make vanilla instead of chocolate would
    I need to add or subtract anything

many, many thanks. Can wait to try it!

Thanks!
      A – not sure specifically but it’ll serve 1-2 people
      B – no. It’ll be too icy!
      C – I wouldn’t recommend doing that as the colour will be grey (might be better if you use white chia seeds?) and the flavour of the chia seeds will come through a LOT. If you’re okay with grey, very chia-flavoured ice cream then you wont have to change anything other than not using cocoa powder!

Hope that helped! :)

Trackbacks

1. […] RAW VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIA ICE CREAM 2 tbsp chia seeds 3/4c milk of choice 2 tbsp raw cacao powder 4 tbsp pure maple syrup 1/2 tsp vanilla extract 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted Whisk everything together until well combined and refrigerate for 4-8 hours. Blend the chilled mixture until very smooth (unless you are okay with bits of chia seeds in your ice cream) and transfer to a shallow air tight freezer safe container. Cover and put into the freezer. Take it out to stir every hour at least 3 times or until frozen. Before serving, thaw out of the fridge for at least 10 to 15 minutes, or bring down from the freezer to chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Adapted from here. […]